Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

i think this was his answer

it took him over 90 hours to complete, because you have to learn how to play the piano to finish the entire game

but if you already know how to play piano maybe it's a piece of cake
What is the "Mattel or Nes versions of the Nintendo Entertainment System" text on the label referring to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kelp Plankton posted:

There was a screensaver like this that I used years ago, which would load a NES rom and then run a playthrough (of recorded inputs) through whatever games it had them for. It was super cool.

I think this might be it? http://www.ubernes.com/nesscreensaverfeatures.html But it's been a long time and this doesn't look quite like what I remember. It might have just gotten more complex since then though.

It only does NES games but it's still neat. I don't know if something like this exists for other systems.

Pretty sure that is the NES Screensaver. I had to redownload a few times whenever I had a new computer, and did notice they changed up the exe to be nicer over the years, but the basic screensaver is still the same.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

HAT FETISH posted:

What is the "Mattel or Nes versions of the Nintendo Entertainment System" text on the label referring to?

Mattel distributed the NES in parts of Europe and Canada.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HAT FETISH posted:

The cart in the picture is intended for France. On top of not being compatible with American systems, Europe was split into two distinct territories which were intentionally incompatible with each other due to different companies owning the distribution rights. The territories were A and B, with that cart being for region B.

Kelp Plankton posted:

There was a screensaver like this that I used years ago, which would load a NES rom and then run a playthrough (of recorded inputs) through whatever games it had them for. It was super cool.

I think this might be it? http://www.ubernes.com/nesscreensaverfeatures.html But it's been a long time and this doesn't look quite like what I remember. It might have just gotten more complex since then though.

It only does NES games but it's still neat. I don't know if something like this exists for other systems.

I'm not sure about an actual emulator playing a ROM, but Hyperspin has settings where it randomly "spins the wheel" and plays its MP4 or whatever video for the game in question, plus there are tons of screen savers that would similarly roulette media files you give it.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 2, 2017

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

HAT FETISH posted:

Wikipedia posted:

In the UK, Italy and Australia which share the PAL A region, two versions of the NES were released; the "Mattel Version" and "NES Version". When the NES was first released in those countries, it was distributed by Mattel and Nintendo decided to use a lockout chip specific to those countries, different from the chip used in other European countries. When Nintendo took over European distribution in 1990, it produced consoles that were then labelled "NES Version"; therefore, the only differences between the two are the text on the front flap and texture on the top/bottom of the casing.

edit: already answered, gently caress :v:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

univbee posted:

I'm not sure about an actual emulator playing a ROM, but Hyperspin has settings where it randomly "spins the wheel" and plays its MP4 or whatever video for the game in question, plus there are tons of screen savers that would similarly roulette media files you give it.

GameEx lets you set up a screensaver to either play movies or start the rom, and lets you do it with a Favorites list. Not that I'd set up GameEx solely for THAT, but it's a neat thing if you leave it running.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Guy I know in my IG feed posted this, seems relevant to everyone's interests here (pardon the link, posting from phone and don't wanna post a big pic):::

http://imgur.com/ntbupVr

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Cliche Guevara posted:

Guy I know in my IG feed posted this, seems relevant to everyone's interests here (pardon the link, posting from phone and don't wanna post a big pic):::

I'm guessing that's just a tower of failed consoles based on the PC-FX right under that Mark III.

Also kind of funny to see the Mark III referred to as rare and unheard of :v:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm guessing that's just a tower of failed consoles based on the PC-FX right under that Mark III.

Someone post that Storage Wars guy freaking out over the R@RE Nintendo One please

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Charles Get-Out posted:

There's a FM Towns Marty next to it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

worthless. posted:

Someone post that Storage Wars guy freaking out over the R@RE Nintendo One please

"This is the first Nintendo DS built, the last one was sold with 5 games for $13,000" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95eUhuR8_ps

(there was such an auction, including Stadium Events. That's why it was 13k, not the NES)

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Ofecks posted:

There's a FM Towns Marty next to it

Good spot! Definitely the failed consoles corner then. I'm guessing a Pippin is lurking somewhere close by.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

"This is the first Nintendo DS built, the last one was sold with 5 games for $13,000" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95eUhuR8_ps

(there was such an auction, including Stadium Events. That's why it was 13k, not the NES)

That's that good stuff. Those pure videos.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I got a laugh when that same guy bought a storage unit full of books and counted them as a few dollars each. Anyone who knows anything about book dealing knows that the only way you move books like that is by the foot.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Hey everyone, it's been quite awhile since i've been on this thread but I thought i'd take a moment to show you what I saved from the dump a couple of weeks ago.

I do recycling once a week at a transfer site and I always take time to double check the garbage area for hazardous chemicals and scrap metal etc.

Anyways, this time I saw a couple of Atari joysticks next to what looked like somebody just dumped their storage unit out so I took a moment and started to find Coleco and Atari cartridges strewn about so I grabbed up what I could in a hurry since the trucks were getting loaded and ready to head out.

Gameboy, games, and it's accessories are all in fantastic condition and work perfectly.

Haven't tested any of the Atari or Coleco carts yet but nothing "looks" damaged.

I'm still horrified by the thoughts of what could have been there that I just didn't find in time before getting crushed into a truck.

EDIT: Oops! Forgot to photograph the second batch!. Excuse the photo quality.

Lepecard fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 3, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Very nice. Man it even had the box for the Gameboy too.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Cliche Guevara posted:

:o:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^^ Holy poo poo I love the aesthetic of that

Lepecard posted:

Hey everyone, it's been quite awhile since i've been on this thread but I thought i'd take a moment to show you what I saved from the dump a couple of weeks ago.

I do recycling once a week at a transfer site and I always take time to double check the garbage area for hazardous chemicals and scrap metal etc.

Anyways, this time I saw a couple of Atari joysticks next to what looked like somebody just dumped their storage unit out so I took a moment and started to find Coleco and Atari cartridges strewn about so I grabbed up what I could in a hurry since the trucks were getting loaded and ready to head out.

Gameboy, games, and it's accessories are all in fantastic condition and work perfectly.

Haven't tested any of the Atari or Coleco carts yet but nothing "looks" damaged.

I'm still horrified by the thoughts of what could have been there that I just didn't find in time before getting crushed into a truck.

You are a good person who has done a good thing. o7

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish I volunteered at the local recycling plant when I was an unemployed bum. It was right at the point when Gamestop stopped taking basically everything pre-PS2 before the retro bubble exploded so I can't imagine the piles of GOLD people would throw out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lepecard posted:

While I'm not seeing any "Holy poo poo, that's rare!" games in there (well, 5200 games in general are harder to find, of course), that's still a pretty good 2600 collection. Looks like it hits a lot of the major games, and would be good for a shuffle and play something situation.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just learned that Mashed, an incredibly fun multiplayer car combat game originally on Xbox and PS2 is on Steam and costs five bucks. I think this got a US PS2 release but we used to play the UK version on modded Xboxes, this was like the go-to party game for my group of friends for years, the title is knowing slang for being high and it works best when everyone is :420: I recall the game developers even had a flash animation on their website that was some wink-wink thing about finding your dealer and getting mashed

edit: though this version on steam is the original mashed and not "fully loaded", an expanded and improved version which you should definitely seek out for the original xbox

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I haven't posted in the retro thread in years (or SA for that matter) but now that I'm done saving money for medical costs I can go back to burning it for retro games :retrogames:

I have some controllers that need some love. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good online retailer of replacement rubber contacts for controllers? My famicom twin and a few snes pads need replacements. I'd prefer an online store compared to an ebay seller or a forum person, but if that's what I got to do so be it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time for another of Random Stranger's thoughts on portable games he's been very slowly playing in bed each night because that's the only time he has to play games anymore. And it's transparently obvious that I've been playing some DS games that I missed, though I feel like I should probably pick up Final Fantasy Adventure or something like that next. Or maybe something cool for the Wonderswan... Anyhow, my game of choice lately has been Professor Layton and the Last Specter. This game really feels like they were cranking out Layton games too fast ten years ago, this being the fourth Layton game in three years at that point. There's too many "Hey, do some math!" puzzles, too many elementary mazes, as well as too much aimless wandering hoping that you stumble onto a puzzle. I remember feeling after playing Unwound Future that Layton was wearing a bit thin so I didn't go onto this game. Now I don't feel bad about skipping it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

HKR posted:

I haven't posted in the retro thread in years (or SA for that matter) but now that I'm done saving money for medical costs I can go back to burning it for retro games :retrogames:

I have some controllers that need some love. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good online retailer of replacement rubber contacts for controllers? My famicom twin and a few snes pads need replacements. I'd prefer an online store compared to an ebay seller or a forum person, but if that's what I got to do so be it.

I may have some original SNES pads lying around. What does the FC Twin take? Are they just regular NES pads?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Time for another of Random Stranger's thoughts on portable games he's been very slowly playing in bed each night because that's the only time he has to play games anymore. And it's transparently obvious that I've been playing some DS games that I missed, though I feel like I should probably pick up Final Fantasy Adventure or something like that next. Or maybe something cool for the Wonderswan... Anyhow, my game of choice lately has been Professor Layton and the Last Specter. This game really feels like they were cranking out Layton games too fast ten years ago, this being the fourth Layton game in three years at that point. There's too many "Hey, do some math!" puzzles, too many elementary mazes, as well as too much aimless wandering hoping that you stumble onto a puzzle. I remember feeling after playing Unwound Future that Layton was wearing a bit thin so I didn't go onto this game. Now I don't feel bad about skipping it.

Let me tell you how amazing the Switch has been and why I'm going to die in bed with a Switch in my hands if it gets jail broken.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Crossed the following off of my list in the last week.

NFL QB Club '96 (SNES) sure is a footballs game. Dull. Looks like pretty much every other football video game of the time, more or less aping Madden. Meh.

Battle Blaze has a bit of charm but its a pretty shallow fighting game and super short on content. There are only 6 playable characters and one is a palette swap of the main character, Kerrel, who is the ONLY playable character in story mode. There's only one attack button, and jumping uses a button as well instead of pressing up on most other fighters. This one came out originally in Japan in mid-1992, about a month before Street Fighter 2 hit the SNES. It didn't see an American release until early 1994, and was completely dated by that time. The music is nothing special and the sound effects are weak. It's still fun in short spurts though. Anyway, here's character info you didn't ask for!

Adrick: Badass dark knight motherfucker who's gimmick is wielding a comically oversized sword. At least, it was at the time. It's probably downright mundane at this point. Like in 1992 you'd have looked at that and gone "whoooooa, this guy is serious, poo poo how does he carry that?" but now that'd be a pretty off-the-rack weapon wielded by generic anime protagonist. The heavy weapon means Adrick's attacks are a bit slow. He's got range though and you're best bet to win with him is to play keep away.

Gustoff: Big, bulky looking ogre that you'd think would be a close-up, smashy power type but is actually more of a rangey, keep away fighter like Adrick, and possibly better at it. He's the monster dude on the left side of the cover art.

Kerrell/Lang: The Ryu/Ken of the game and the only characters without a projectile attack but they do have a hurricane kick. Pretty much your generic barbarian guy with sword and also his brother.

Shnouzer: Short range werewolf thing. You need to get close to be effective with him and he always felt underpowered to me. My cousin used to whup me on a regular basis with him though, so maybe I just suck with this character? :shrug:

Tesya: Dagger-wielding woman present to fill the fast, dexterous fighter trope.

Autarch: The unplayable demon lord boss in the story mode. Imagine a generic Satan-esque devil and then add some purple highlights. Done.

I have a weird fondness for this game despite how low-effort it feels. If you have to have every fighting game under the sun it's not a bad pickup under $10.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like I should probably pick up Final Fantasy Adventure

God drat do I have some fond memories of Final Fantasy Adventure. I remember getting it as a kid, and being positively addicted to it. I remember playing it a lot, and just... I dunno, getting really into it. Vivid memories of staring for ages at that little gameboy screen, I distinctly remember the coastline with the shells all over it.

I started up a new game on the retropie, I should get around to finishing it...

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Quiet Feet posted:

I may have some original SNES pads lying around. What does the FC Twin take? Are they just regular NES pads?

Yeah, a quick google search seems to show that they use the same pads between the famicom/nes.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've always felt that the overworld music from Final Fantasy Adventure is one of the best and most unforgettable themes I've ever heard in a game. Like, it feels like it would be considered one of the most iconic pieces of game music if it were attached to something with Mario/Zelda levels of popularity.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

I've always felt that the overworld music from Final Fantasy Adventure is one of the best and most unforgettable themes I've ever heard in a game. Like, it feels like it would be considered one of the most iconic pieces of game music if it were attached to something with Mario/Zelda levels of popularity.

The best 8-bit Castlevania song is on a handheld, too.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
YouTube is blocked for me at work, but I don't have to click the link to know it's Crystal Castle.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

YouTube is blocked for me at work, but I don't have to click the link to know it's Crystal Castle.

Cloud Castle although I will also accept Crystal Castle in a photo finish.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

God drat do I have some fond memories of Final Fantasy Adventure. I remember getting it as a kid, and being positively addicted to it. I remember playing it a lot, and just... I dunno, getting really into it. Vivid memories of staring for ages at that little gameboy screen, I distinctly remember the coastline with the shells all over it.

I started up a new game on the retropie, I should get around to finishing it...

I played it years back, got stuck late in the game and never finished it. Apparently its possible to glitch yourself into an unwinnable state? Wondering now if that's what happened. I picked it up again last year but had no clue what to do with the old save (it'd been over a decade) and just started from scratch.

HKR posted:

Yeah, a quick google search seems to show that they use the same pads between the famicom/nes.

How many of each are you looking for? I don't have a ton lying around but could probably supply enough parts for one or two of each.

I've also got a trillion (OEM and generic) Genesis pads lying around because broken Genny stuff is really, really easy to find for some reason. You Sega kids didn't take very good care of your stuff. :colbert:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

al-azad posted:

Cloud Castle although I will also accept Crystal Castle in a photo finish.

I really like Praying Hands as well. "New Messiah" is the Crystal Castle theme and I agree it's incredibly good. Namiki definitely did it justice in Rebirth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AQl49GUclU

Quiet Feet posted:

I played it years back, got stuck late in the game and never finished it. Apparently its possible to glitch yourself into an unwinnable state? Wondering now if that's what happened. I picked it up again last year but had no clue what to do with the old save (it'd been over a decade) and just started from scratch.

The first time I played it I found myself in the last dungeon but I forgot to buy keys somewhere in the overworld beforehand and I couldn't go back (the point of no return is finishing the penultimate dungeon). I wrote Nintendo Power a letter (this was 1992) asking them what to do but before I got a response, I found a room near the beginning of the dungeon that had enemies who drop keys.

Game was great, I loved it. Nowadays I find it a bit too linear, but apparently you can make a caster build and just nuke everything.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

My geef just got me Belmont's Revenge but I haven't played it for more than a few minutes since the Switch just came out. Switch is a good console by the way and the new Zelda is a fun and good game.

Owning Belmont's revenge also means the only canon Castlevania game I'm missing is Bloodlines. Castlevania is objectively the greatest series ever made and I really hope they put a Belmont in Smash. I'd also take Alucard.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Howdy folks, I have a quick question. I just picked up a SNES and six games. 4 of them work great, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda, and Jurassic Park 2. Two of them, Breath of Fire and Final Fantasy 2, do not. I switch the power on and just get a blank white screen and no sound. I have the security bit to open up the games (I've been cleaning and restoring my old NES games). Does this sound like something that cleaning can fix or should I just return them while I can? I am asking here because I've googled a bit and can't find anyone else with this particular issue, just black screens and garbled graphics/audio.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Howdy folks, I have a quick question. I just picked up a SNES and six games. 4 of them work great, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda, and Jurassic Park 2. Two of them, Breath of Fire and Final Fantasy 2, do not. I switch the power on and just get a blank white screen and no sound. I have the security bit to open up the games (I've been cleaning and restoring my old NES games). Does this sound like something that cleaning can fix or should I just return them while I can? I am asking here because I've googled a bit and can't find anyone else with this particular issue, just black screens and garbled graphics/audio.

Just clean the contacts. It's very rare for a SNES game to be broken.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

wa27 posted:

Just clean the contacts. It's very rare for a SNES game to be broken.

What kind of cleaning do you recommend? I tried scrubbing FF2 with q-tips and 90% isopropyl alcohol for a bit, then I let it dry and still got the white screen. Is there another cleaner or method you would suggest? Thanks.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

DrNutt posted:

What kind of cleaning do you recommend? I tried scrubbing FF2 with q-tips and 90% isopropyl alcohol for a bit, then I let it dry and still got the white screen. Is there another cleaner or method you would suggest? Thanks.

Use a pencil eraser on the contacts if the q-tips aren't doing the job, and also make sure that there isn't any junk inside the cart connector on the SNES. It also wouldn't hurt to clean the cart slot using alcohol + a toothbrush or a credit card with a piece of printer paper folded over it.

Edit: Also instead of letting it dry, I recommend going over the contacts with a dry q-tip after cleaning to get rid of any residue.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DrNutt posted:

I'd recommend opening the Final Fantasy 2 so you can replace the save battery anyway. Then clean the contacts a bit harder while you have it opened.

• Locked thread