Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Yeah same here. I'm at about 26 and it's primarily highway. The high speeds really kill it though. Nothing like following a statey going 90

Once I drove from the valley over the hill on the 101->405 to a place to put ceramic paint coating protection on the car. Averaged 43mpg on that trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

It's almost as though fuel economy figures are essentially meaningless for the average driver and only provide a means of comparison

They are good for pages of tiring posts about what goons can hypermile theirs to though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised the first time I took a long trip up in the mountains to discover that aerodynamic drag really does make a huge difference to your fuel economy. Riding around (highway speeds) at 10,000 feet, where the air is only two-thirds as dense as at sea level, I got like 25% better mileage than I do down in the city.

No specific numbers because nobody gives an actual poo poo

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The EPA rates my car at a certain number, sometimes I get it, sometimes not! Please let's spend another 10 pages discussing this fascinating phenomenon.

New Mclaren instrument cluster is some anime poo poo

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Wistful of Dollars posted:

How have you Challenger (or I guess, Dodge) owners found your vehicles in terms of reliability?

I had a lifter failure at 40,000 miles that wrecked the camshaft, and at the same time, the differential had to be replaced because it had a hell of a clunk when going on- or off-throttle or shifting into gear. They didn't tell me the root cause, they just said it was "out of specification".

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

Nice personal attack.

Traffic to and from work is in the constant 50-65 range but don't listen to me as someone who knows about these things says I am full of poo poo.

I'm sorry. I shouldn't drunkpost.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Throatwarbler posted:

The EPA rates my car at a certain number, sometimes I get it, sometimes not! Please let's spend another 10 pages discussing this fascinating phenomenon.

New Mclaren instrument cluster is some anime poo poo

And yet I bet it still takes 30 seconds and four inputs to raise the nose in order to clear a speed hump.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My car is supposed to get 19 average. I've got 14.7mpg over the 9800 miles I've had it. I know I'm lower than average on freeway mileage, but dayam. My actual mileage is lower than the rated city mileage. :(

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

drgitlin posted:

And yet I bet it still takes 30 seconds and four inputs to raise the nose in order to clear a speed hump.

I'm sorry I took you on that road, I didn't remember all those speed bumps!

(I was just telling my wife that story since we're looking at houses right around there.)

Also, what is the point of that display. When do you use one over the other?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-porsche-panamera-sport-turismo-photos-and-info-news

I wonder if i could get a mortgage for one and live in it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It looks good, but that interior colour reminds me of so many 1970s cars

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You Am I posted:

The term you're looking for is fuckin cozy.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

You Am I posted:

Exact same color as the faded maroon plastic and carpet in my 1986 Camaro.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A Porsche station wagon just seems so wrong. :sigh:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

A Porsche station wagon just seems so wrong. :sigh:

wrong. Or at least not nearly as bad as an SUV

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The proportions on the Panamera look sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better in wagon form.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

They finally managed to make the Panamera not hideous. Pity no one will buy them :/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's what that car wanted to be all this time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
This is super rad, gently caress yeah.

You Am I posted:

This is good as heck yo, do you really want black on black on black forever into eternity? I wish we could still get 80s Toyota blue in our interiors. Maybe Honda red.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

skipdogg posted:

I disagree so much with the EPA highway testing schedule. What kind of highway driving do people average 48MPH with a top speed of 60MPH? I don't feel this test is accurate whatsoever at todays highway speeds. Here in Texas it's 75 outside the major cities. I've never once got the EPA Highway estimate in the Ford Explorer we own. I'm sure if I set the cruise to 60MPH i'd get closer, but I'd also get run off the road by 18 wheelers hauling rear end on the highway as well.

SEATTLE

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

fknlo posted:

The proportions on the Panamera look sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better in wagon form.

It's what the Panamera should have been the day it launched.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
megaquote sorry

EnergizerFellow posted:

I wonder how many turbo 1.5/2.0/2.5/3.0L L3/4/5/6 common engine projects are currently in-flight.

I think the end of the evolutionary line for gas engines in average cars will be turbo engines with some number of 500cc pistons.

FuturePastNow posted:

Didn't GM design a really good straight six for the Trailblazer that they could chop one or two cylinders off for smaller vehicles, then close that plant and stop making them?

IT'S FUCKIN DOGSHIT

Twerk from Home posted:

I think we're overlooking the real meat here: triples sound better than I4s anyway.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I3s on ITBs = yesssssssss

A Fiesta that sounds like a turbo STriple or FZ09 would be very rad.

KakerMix posted:

Another reason to let a computer drive instead of the person.

Yeah, if the computer is driving you're not going to care whether you're going 55 or 75 while playing on your phone, so I'd imagine gas mileage is going to go way up. Driving is too stressful of an activity for most people and it makes them drive like idiots, on top of being bad with the mechanics of driving in general.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm enjoying my rental one right now but good Lord is it a big car.

You shouldn't have to do the Miata "crane your neck forward to see the stoplight" thing on a car that big.

MrOnBicycle posted:

A couple of years ago I could probably stomach a diesel (even if it feels wrong in a nicer / sportier car, but with the talks of diesel bans in many places in Europe I'm not keen at all.

The diesel bans are a (sort of necessary) overcorrection for decades of bad policy, but I think many of the bans are going to exempt Euro4-compliant diesels. If they don't it's because they're coming at it from the viewpoint that everyone's cheating instead of tested differences. I'm keeping an open mind on the new diesel CX5, as it's going to have urea injection and should be "actually clean" and not "VW clean." If the emission numbers are better than the gas motor I think I can justify it to myself.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's what that car wanted to be all this time.

Where's the fancy spoiler though? :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

EnergizerFellow posted:

It's what the Panamera should have been the day it launched.

Seriously. I don't know if I ever really saw that floated as an idea among all the complaints of its weird proportions. I never really hated the Panamera or anything but this totally fixes most of my major visual complaints.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Throatwarbler posted:

New Mclaren instrument cluster

davebo posted:

Also, what is the point of that display. When do you use one over the other?

You use the small one most of the time but the big one pops up when you are chasing the bad guy after the second commercial break and the theme to the TV show starts playing. Also your car has a turbo boost or wings or stealth mode or something.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A few friends of mine have worked on the Land Rover Velar and stupid name aside I'm kinda digging it. Luxo as gently caress. The Union Jack pattern punched into the leather sounds like it'd be awful buuuuuuuuut is actually pretty rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEz3tuXrw9o

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A few friends of mine have worked on the Land Rover Velar and stupid name aside I'm kinda digging it. Luxo as gently caress. The Union Jack pattern punched into the leather sounds like it'd be awful buuuuuuuuut is actually pretty rad.

I'm imagining tapping on that cold flat panel on the bottom to set the A/C temp and it's making me sad. I hope it has haptic feedback.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wallaka posted:

I had a lifter failure at 40,000 miles that wrecked the camshaft, and at the same time, the differential had to be replaced because it had a hell of a clunk when going on- or off-throttle or shifting into gear. They didn't tell me the root cause, they just said it was "out of specification".

Is this a common issue? I'm under the impression the big V8s are pretty bulletproof, being iron-block pushrod truck engines that have been around since like, '03. Mine has a tick though, and the dealership says they all do that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Where's the fancy spoiler though? :(

It still has one. It's just .. in a hatch.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

I'm imagining tapping on that cold flat panel on the bottom to set the A/C temp and it's making me sad. I hope it has haptic feedback.

There's something I dislike about touchscreen poo poo but it looks like on this at least you can select stuff with your finger and then adjust with the dual dials underneath. I feel going complete touchscreen is a lovely idea and people are doing it simply because they want to make their interiors look clean rather than offering the best user experience.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

Oh god yes.

Still kinda sad but this elicits much, much less visceral hatred from me than a Cayenne *angrily spits on ground*

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Porsche Panzerowagen looks great and I would guess that most buyers would have been perfectly happy with it on release even if it was the only choice.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Now if only it wasn't going to cost $100k+ :(

Totally fixes all my gripes with the Panamera.

It'd be great if it is successful and signals a return of hot wagons. Doubtful though. :(

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yeah that is pretty magical

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I guess I'm that guy, because the Panamera, whether in wagon form or not, has, and will always, look like hammered dog poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The idea of capacitive touch on the steering wheel makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Guinness posted:

Now if only it wasn't going to cost $100k+ :(

Totally fixes all my gripes with the Panamera.

It'd be great if it is successful and signals a return of hot wagons. Doubtful though. :(

So wait, is it still rear engined? So there's all that hatch room AND a frunk?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So wait, is it still rear engined? So there's all that hatch room AND a frunk?

The Panamera is not rear-engined, it is front-engined.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

CornHolio posted:

Is this a common issue? I'm under the impression the big V8s are pretty bulletproof, being iron-block pushrod truck engines that have been around since like, '03. Mine has a tick though, and the dealership says they all do that.

I don't think it's very common. And your dealership was right, at least for all of them I've ever been around. It doesn't seem to matter if they have the displacement on demand lifters or not.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
poo poo, we talked about BMW saturating a market. How many models does Land Rover now have?
RR, RR Sport, RR Evoque, RR Velar, Discovery, Discovery Sport
How the gently caress do you differentiate that many SUVs? Especially since the Land Rovers basically both look the same and so do the Range Rovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

travisray2004 posted:

poo poo, we talked about BMW saturating a market. How many models does Land Rover now have?
RR, RR Sport, RR Evoque, RR Velar, Discovery, Discovery Sport
How the gently caress do you differentiate that many SUVs? Especially since the Land Rovers basically both look the same and so do the Range Rovers.

Evoque: Luxury Small
Velar: Luxury Medium
Sport: Luxury Large
RR: Luxury Extra Large
Discovery Sport: Offroad Medium
Discovery: Offroad Large
LR4: Offroad Extra Large

Land Rover adding the Velar finally has a vehicle that competes with the popular X3 / Q5 / GLC / F-Pace / Macan segment.