Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm thinking of replacing my seven-year laptop with something decent, since I'm having trouble running Witcher 3 and probably won't be able to run Shadow of War - what's something good for about $1100-1000 USD at the moment?

(Based on $1500 NZD)

Check the OP of the Parts Building Megathread in SH/SC. Probably one of the more helpful threads on the forum :)

Edit: That is, if you were looking to buy a desktop instead of another laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, sorry, shoulda specified: I'm more into laptops because I'm really, really not good with cars so it needs to be portable. A mother with aspirations to be a rally car driver, living in a province renowned for drink-driving and insecure new-rich, a city filled with people who buy their licenses: It kinda adds up.

I know laptops aren't really for gaming, but until I own my own place mobility is gonna trump all.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Underwhelmed posted:

It has flaws for sure, but i don't think it is anywhere near bad and is pretty enjoyable once you get the hang of it. Adding a leveling system that sets a stat cap was a stroke of stupid for sure, as is the total lack of meaningful move descriptions. They pretty much (stupidly) assumed everyone that was going to play this game was intimately familiar with the systems in the original game, which is why nothing is explained.

A few things:

-going into one of the many hideouts gets rid of the police.
-spend your money on healing items and get food to go. Food raises your stats permanently, on top of healing you just like in the original.
-if you are about to die, eat your food, but if you only have a couple dollars and aren't trying to beat a boss, go ahead and die, the only penalty is losing money that you don't have.
-a few zones left of the starting garage, is Mao's Place, and a sauna. Both of theses spots are great for healing and early stat gains. Hang out by the healing and earn some money, then dash over to the trainer a few screens right of the garage.
-there is no healing right near the starting garage, and this is where a lot of people are getting stuck in a downward spiral at.
-Will Power is like a stamina reserve tank. If you have any, you don't die when you run out of stamina.

I play side-scrolling beat'em ups for 5-10 hours. Maybe more, if they're the god drat greatest (TMNT: Turtles in Time on SNES).

From what I understand RCRU takes about 3 hours before it gets good and you learn to deal with it's lovely high cost moves, lame healing system and unbelievably lovely cop mechanic system Jesus Christ.

I never played the first but as soon as I hear about this cop system I knew this just wasn't for me. The shittiest thing in side scrolling beat'em ups is having to avoid punching things so designing a whole mechanic based around that? No thanks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, sorry, shoulda specified: I'm more into laptops because I'm really, really not good with cars so it needs to be portable. A mother with aspirations to be a rally car driver, living in a province renowned for drink-driving and insecure new-rich, a city filled with people who buy their licenses: It kinda adds up.

None of this made any sense to me. What I've ascertained is that in New Zealand computers can only be built into cars, but you're bad with cars so you're worried that you'll crash your car and therefore also your computer? That does sound inconvenient, do you have to play computer games in the garage / outside? :confused:

"Gaming" is no longer a bad adjective for laptops, plenty of models in the ~$1000 pricerange that are fast and reliable with good hardware. I bought this back in November, but it was Black Friday discounted to $900. Check out the laptop thread in SH/SC, they can at least get you where you need to go.

Suggestions:
-- Get a 14" or 15.6" screen. The people who buy 17" or 19" laptops are insane, that's just a really expensive desktop no matter how you slice it.
-- Get an NVidia 10XX mobile graphics card, if you can afford it. The price/performance gap between generations is usually not so high, but this time it is.
-- Usually RAM and HDD are upgreadeable / replaceable, so you don't have to worry about those features as much as it's usually cheaper to do the upgrades yourself. Most newer laptops have expansion slots for NVMe SSDs, which are insanely fast but also very small and easy to install.
-- Lenovo Y-series is the normal go-to for cheap gaming laptops but their build quality sucks and it will fall apart after a few years. Still, it's worth a look if you don't mind also carrying around a mouse and having to watch your laptop case disintegrate over time. Their keyboards are really nice, it seems to be the one long-lasting outer component and I wish more companies used the Lenovo keyboard layout

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ah, sorry, had a rough month at work and I'm working off a caffeine crash: I'm constantly shifting flats due to the bizarre housing market in Auckland - but as I don't have a car, having to move large bulky items (Such as a desktop) is something I try to avoid.

And that's some good quality advice. Much obliged, QuarkJets. May your duckfarts be caustic and your bread crusts oft-snatched by confused criminal pensioners.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Croccers posted:

Any <$10 move is more than likely going to be a variation on your basic combo.
So instead of Punch Punch Punch. You can Punch Punch Kick! Or Kick Kick Punch!

These moves were 12-15 each. Hurricanrana says to press jump and grab (or jump then grab?) during acrotactics (?) and shooting star says J, G after drop kick. I can't get either to work.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sextro posted:

Anyone know what this Blackwake thing is in the Top Seller slot today ?

Janky game streamer-bate early access game #24345668

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do I play first Night in the woods, or Torment?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

moller posted:

These moves were 12-15 each. Hurricanrana says to press jump and grab (or jump then grab?) during acrotactics (?) and shooting star says J, G after drop kick. I can't get either to work.
I've been using the Break Dancer girl only so far so I don't know the combos to the other dudes, but for Hurricanrana I assume it's an extension of the Acrotactics move.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't really mind the "kill your shade to get your money back" mechanic in Hollow Knight because I think there's only been one instance where I lost any money to it, every other time it's been easy to just go back and get it and extract myself back out of whatever, or in the case of serious boss arenas beat the boss, but the one for-real criticism I have of it is holy poo poo do there need to be more save points. This game is stingy as hell with them and especially likes to avoid putting them near boss rooms which in my opinion is a pretty big design no-no for a metroidvania. It's not a dealbreaker for me since the rest of the game is pretty good but that's definitely a flaw in my book. I also have no earthly idea why they decided it was necessary to make you buy like four different things to put the map together, or why your map only updates at save points, or why you have to buy individual chunks of the map to even begin filling parts in, it feels like they wanted to add "challenge" or "verisimilitude" or whatever without asking themselves whether it actually added anything to the game or not.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

moller posted:

I can't figure out Hurricanrana either, but shooting star can be done only if you jump kick someone while you're still on the upward trajectory of your jump. The easiest way to pull this off is to knock someone down, pick them up, let them stand up, then toss them with punch. Immediately after you toss them, jump kick them and then push jump punch for shooting star. The timing is pretty tight so good luck.

edit: Just figured out Hurricanrana, too. So do the same thing as above, where you pick someone up and let them stand up. Throw them with punch. When the enemy is thrown like this and goes in a ball I think that's supposed to be acrotactics. Just jump up and grapple him in the air.

yergacheffe fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 2, 2017

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
How To Make RCRU More Enjoyable, By a guy who played for about two hours:

-Lighten up the death penalty, at least on the lower difficulty setting. I don't mind losing out on some cash, but the constant loss of progress becomes very aggravating very quick.

-Lemme save wherever the hell I want to, or at least give me some checkpoints here and there. This is 2017, dammit.

-Fix the police system somehow; if the first thing that comes to a player's mind when the police show up is "welp time to stop punching dudes and run away to a safehouse" something is wrong. unless I'm standing right on top of a dumpster there's no incentive to scrapping with the police.

-Where's all the destructible objects full of food items/money, game? Lemme kick a barrel over to reveal a fresh apple on a plate or something! It would also add some nice interactivity with the environment.

-I'm only a couple hours in, but so far all the mooks exhibit the same fighting behavior of:

1.Walk next to player
2. Punch
3. Run away
4.Mix it up with a special move/aerial attack

Would be nice if they changed it up a bit.

-I want to piledrive criminals into the sidewalk now, not grind the same room for 20 minutes to get the money/experience needed to hit someone while holding them at the same time. The leveling and story progression need to mesh much better.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Turtlicious posted:

What do I play first Night in the woods, or Torment?

Night in the Woods. It sounds shorter, so you'll actually be able to finish it before you dive into the other one.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm thinking of replacing my seven-year laptop with something decent, since I'm having trouble running Witcher 3 and probably won't be able to run Shadow of War

WarpedNaba posted:

belated edit: $75? Get hosed.
Uh, have you checked out Shadow of War on the Steam store?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shadow of War for $300?! No Thank You Ma'am.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-mithril-edition-only-at-gamestop/143083

E: lmao it's already sold out, what is wrong with people.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Oh my sweet gorgeous heaven eleven, I actually finished the milk bottle quest in RCR:U. Hey, maybe I can see the rest of the game now.

Unless there is another awful quest. :v:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Shadow of War for $300?! No Thank You Ma'am.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-mithril-edition-only-at-gamestop/143083

E: lmao it's already sold out, what is wrong with people.

People love statues.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

bentacos posted:

People love statues.
Let me tell you about the Sonic Mania CE...

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Reminds me of that messed up Geralt bust.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Kai Tave posted:

I don't really mind the "kill your shade to get your money back" mechanic in Hollow Knight because I think there's only been one instance where I lost any money to it, every other time it's been easy to just go back and get it and extract myself back out of whatever, or in the case of serious boss arenas beat the boss, but the one for-real criticism I have of it is holy poo poo do there need to be more save points. This game is stingy as hell with them and especially likes to avoid putting them near boss rooms which in my opinion is a pretty big design no-no for a metroidvania. It's not a dealbreaker for me since the rest of the game is pretty good but that's definitely a flaw in my book. I also have no earthly idea why they decided it was necessary to make you buy like four different things to put the map together, or why your map only updates at save points, or why you have to buy individual chunks of the map to even begin filling parts in, it feels like they wanted to add "challenge" or "verisimilitude" or whatever without asking themselves whether it actually added anything to the game or not.
Most bosses do have benches close by, sometimes right outside the room. The big exception on the required path is Soul Master which is probably why he's the one I've seen the most complaints about. Nearly every zone has lots of benches too they're just not all in places they're convenient the first time around. Greenpath has 6 for example.

My biggest complaint about the map is that they're really good about sound/background cues for NPCs and bosses but for some reason that's not the case with map guy. If his scribbling was audible from significantly further away there'd be way less walking past him without noticing.

edit: Actually my biggest complaint is still the Super Meat Boy level, but it's much more bearable if you go in prepared (Hiveblood)

Threep fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 2, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
What is RCRU? I've seen you guys mention this acronym a thousand times over twenty pages but I can't find what you're actually talking about,.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

lordfrikk posted:

Alien: Isolation Collection can be had for €8.27 over at BundleStars.
Any of the thing in that collection besides the base game worthwhile?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

credburn posted:

What is RCRU? I've seen you guys mention this acronym a thousand times over twenty pages but I can't find what you're actually talking about,.

River City Ransom Underground

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Threep posted:

Most bosses do have benches close by, sometimes right outside the room. The big exception on the required path is Soul Master which is probably why he's the one I've seen the most complaints about. Nearly every zone has lots of benches too they're just not all in places they're convenient the first time around. Greenpath has 6 for example.

My biggest complaint about the map is that they're really good about sound/background cues for NPCs and bosses but for some reason that's not the case with map guy. If his scribbling was audible from significantly further away there'd be way less walking past him without noticing.

edit: Actually my biggest complaint is still the Super Meat Boy level, but it's much more bearable if you go in prepared (Hiveblood)

The nearest save point to Mantis Lords is so far away that I have to reincarnate in real life soon because the journey back to the boss fight is making me die of old age.

Hollow Knight is a great game, but it has no respect for the player's time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Do you want more, shorter-form A:I gameplay? The DLCs are that, and are good, but you might find that the game kind of wears out its welcome from the main campaign. Still, for that price for the base game alone it's a steal.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Threep posted:

Most bosses do have benches close by, sometimes right outside the room.

I don't know if this counts as a spoiler or not but just in case:

The Crystal Guardian has a bench IN the room...that you can't use until you beat the boss, otherwise the nearest bench is back through a section with those laser-beam enemies crawling all over the walls. That one in particular took me four attempts (admittedly I had been playing a while and probably could have used a break) but that loving sucked, plus when I finally DID beat him I died just as he did due to his ceiling laser attack and when I respawned it broke the scripting so the bench he was using never unlocked for me to use. So that's fun.

But in general I'm going to say that this isn't the only boss I've experienced this particular frustration with.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Tunahead posted:

The nearest save point to Mantis Lords is so far away that I have to reincarnate in real life soon because the journey back to the boss fight is making me die of old age.

Hollow Knight is a great game, but it has no respect for the player's time.
Did you miss the bench right before you enter the village proper?

Also if the Mantis Lords are giving you trouble, make sure you've upgraded your weapon first

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

yergacheffe posted:

I can't figure out Hurricanrana either, but shooting star can be done only if you jump kick someone while you're still on the upward trajectory of your jump. The easiest way to pull this off is to knock someone down, pick them up, let them stand up, then toss them with punch. Immediately after you toss them, jump kick them and then push jump punch for shooting star. The timing is pretty tight so good luck.

edit: Just figured out Hurricanrana, too. So do the same thing as above, where you pick someone up and let them stand up. Throw them with punch. When the enemy is thrown like this and goes in a ball I think that's supposed to be acrotactics. Just jump up and grapple him in the air.

drat, thanks for the info.

Those sound like they would be useful in a multitude of circumstances. D:

I was hoping for some crowd control other than KK.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

FirstAidKite posted:

River City Ransom Underground

Oohh. Well, nevermind, it's being mentioned all over the place. I somehow didn't make the connection.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Uh, have you checked out Shadow of War on the Steam store?

AAA titles are expected to be overpriced - besides, that's the kind of thing a guy waits for a season-pass sale on.

I will openly admit the hypocrisy, however. I have a grudge against titles that play on nostalgia for classics up to the point that they prove they're not terrible.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

No, they haven't gotten past the first step. I doubt I have a key logger or they would have gotten full access, plus I recently formatted.

I was just wondering if receiving the email notifications every month or two that someone guessed my login and password happens to other people and if there's anything else I should do besides change my steam and email passwords (different) when it happens.

This happens to me with my google account, probably 2 or 3 times ever. No one has successfully gotten into it though. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some garbage on my old laptop, should probably give that thing a reformat.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Xander77 posted:

Crew Expandable and Last Survivor are reenectments of specific parts of the first Alien movie complete with crew memebers and are pretty neat. They should be played after finishing the main game though as they spoil some weapons and Xeno behavior. Everything else is pretty much skippable unless you want to play some sterile challenge maps which you probably don't.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Maybe I'm just not patient anymore, especially with my time being more limited nowadays. Anyway, another RCR:U update.

Here's the jet that juggled me for possibly 300 damage moments later. Thank goodness for Willpower.

And here's the boss I died to after riding the lift, infiltrating the building, fighting several metric tons of goons, and using up all my consumables:

I'm pretty sure I have to redo the whole thing. I'm taking a break right now.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Hollow Knight is a lot of fun. I don't really like Metroidvanias or platformers much in general so I only grabbed it when someone said it was the best one of those on Steam alongside other people saying it's great. It really is a step above the average game of this type. The jump is really nice with lots of control and is easy to judge where it will go. More importantly the combat is pretty nice and the enemies interesting which adds a lot to the experience. IT's not really enough for me to play a good platformer; the combat needs to carry it. It's also a much better 2D souls-like than salt and sanctuary in that it wants you to be deliberate in your attacks and the whole mysterious feel to it. It didn't need to take everything from dark souls to evoke a similar feeling to playing it.

I hate that you need to find the map dude to map an area though. I've got 4 zones I don't have maps to: The foggy place, the fungal place, the crystal mines, and the place where you get the dream nail. It's kinda frustrating not to have a map .

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

WarpedNaba posted:

And that's some good quality advice. Much obliged, QuarkJets. May your duckfarts be caustic and your bread crusts oft-snatched by confused criminal pensioners.
hey buddy

So I started playing Song of the Deep after getting it in the humble freedom bundle and it's pretty chill and decent subvania so far, worth a look if you picked up that bundle

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

For those running card idlers/ sandboxie, ccleaner and or/ Cheat Engine, steam will now disconnect you from VAC servers, if connected. This just looks like a simple disconnect rather than a ban, however.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Futuresight posted:

I hate that you need to find the map dude to map an area though. I've got 4 zones I don't have maps to: The foggy place, the fungal place, the crystal mines, and the place where you get the dream nail. It's kinda frustrating not to have a map .
Fog Canyon is actually a late game area, the map's outside the small part you can access early
Fungal Wastes map is close to the entrance (from station)
For Crystal Peaks follow the village signs

Last one I honestly don't remember where is, but somewhere readily accessibly. Also, after the map guy leaves an area you can buy them from his wife instead.

duckfarts posted:

So I started playing Song of the Deep after getting it in the humble freedom bundle and it's pretty chill and decent subvania so far, worth a look if you picked up that bundle
Hope you're enjoying the gameplay because you're gonna be doing a lot of the same basic combat against the same basic enemies

Threep fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 2, 2017

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Idle responsibly.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Wait what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've been playing six hours of Big Pharma and while it's fun for what it is, I have a nagging feeling that Factorio (which I haven't purchased yet) is actually the platonic ideal of this type of manufacturing/optimization game, and Big Pharma is the shadow on the cave wall. Am I right?

• Locked thread