Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

veni veni veni posted:

Anyways I'm finding it weird that the story is a common complaint in horizon. Frankly so far it's one of the more interesting video game stories I've played in a good long while. Granted I'm maybe 5 hours in so I have no idea if it goes downhill but I feel like a lot of complaints are knee jerk reactions to the first hour or so. Which I didn't even think was bad but it did take a bit to pick up steam.

I think Horizon's main story is perfectly fine, it doesn't waste your time and establishes all the major conflicts and mysteries within the first couple hours before you set out into the world. It does this much better than The Witcher 3 in fact, where you can easily putz around White Orchard for 5 hours accomplishing gently caress all before the actual game begins. For a AAA release there's also very little in the ways of tutorial handholding, and very few popups past the first hour. You're given the scanner almost immediately and it's expected that you, the player, will figure out how to bring down the bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A couple early games from before rest mode was a thing don't like it too much

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Biggest advantage for using restmode for me personally, is the ability to resume a game exactly where you left off.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I leave my PS4 in rest mode for weeks at a time and I think I've had a problem all of once.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just unplug the PS4 straight from the wall mid-game.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can someone answer me about something very annoying in Horizon?

The game has this useful feature where it tells you what resources can be used for. Some of them only have "can be sold to merchants", so one thinks that these are just valuables to sell.

BUT, turns out many of these items, especially the glasses, are required for buying things like upgraded armour, so I can't even use that dumb infobox.

As a result, I'm packing six luggage cases of resources, which I'd rather not. I only sell the ancient items I find.

Can someone tell me in plain English which items I can safely sell? And if not, how long can you buy back an item?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 2, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ufarn posted:

Can someone answer me about something very annoying in Horizon?

The game has this useful feature where it tells you what resources can be used for. Some of them only have "can be sold to merchants", so one thinks that these are just valuables to sell.

BUT, turns out many of these items, especially the glasses, are required for buying things like upgraded armour, so I can't even use that dumb infobox.

As a result, I'm packing six luggage cases of resources, which I'd rather not. I only sell the ancient items I find.

Can someone tell me in plain English which items I can safely sell? And if not, how long can you buy back an item?

At least if it says "sold to merchants" and literally nothing else, it hasn't bit me in the rear end yet selling that stuff yet(its usually stuff like ruins artifacts). Stuff Like lens also says something else besides that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It's a gunstock club. :hist101:

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo what a terrible action sequence.

Snak posted:

Get the gently caress out.

Sakurazuka posted:

Snak posted:

Get the gently caress out.

That whole scene is absolutely amazing, especially the shot of Alice's face before she jumps after Uncas. That music! :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BxDpOu3cD0

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Evil Canadian posted:

At least if it says "sold to merchants" and literally nothing else, it hasn't bit me in the rear end yet selling that stuff yet(its usually stuff like ruins artifacts). Stuff Like lens also says something else besides that.

It certainly will bite you in the rear end. It did for me - almost at level 20. Just keep upgrading your storage and try to keep everything. Kill every animal you see, pick every plant.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

For us euros, you can get 10€ back if you spend 50€ in March https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/03/01/spend-50-on-playstation-store-in-march-get-a-10-voucher-to-spend-in-april/

I guess I'm gonna pre-order MLB the show and buy some lovely 0,25€ avatar. Too many games, so little time. Horizon, The show, Mass effect, Persona 5...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only sell stuff that literally says nothing but 'can be sold for shards', if it says anything about trading keep it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Policenaut posted:

For a more malicious example, WWE 2K17 once had a bug that would wipe all save data for all of your games from your hard drive if you put the game into rest mode with it on.

the true hardcore ironman mode we've all been waiting for

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is this the first time in a long time the EU has got a deal like this? I've had a PS4 for about 15 months now and I don't remember anything like this but I could have just missed it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay I take back what I said before, the talky in Horizon is good for setting up an open world game. There's nothing like being on a mission from god to give you license to do all the normal open world stuff.

edit: I'm worried I'm gonna get this story and the one of Nier Automata mixed up in my head though, since both are about a post-apoaclyptic world covered with hostile machines for mysterious reasons.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 2, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is this the first time in a long time the EU has got a deal like this? I've had a PS4 for about 15 months now and I don't remember anything like this but I could have just missed it.

It's the first one I can remember outside of a couple of PayPal only promotions.

Speaking of does anyone know if they'll honour it if you buy something that's like £49.99 or does it absolutely have to be £50 or over?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Only sell stuff that literally says nothing but 'can be sold for shards', if it says anything about trading keep it.

This. The thing that caught early on was seeing "trade to merchants" and thinking that meant for shards but it turns out that means trading for better weapons/armor and also (oddly) upgrading your packs.

But also, remember there is a buy back feature. Take a look and see if anything you sold you probably shouldn't have. It only has the last 25 items or something but you never know.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are people really stingy enough with their electricity bill that not using rest mode will make a significant difference? Calculations I read put it at like ten dollars a year if it was in rest mode 24/7 the whole time.

Dude, I'm gonna go on a rant here because your post really triggered me so let me say this: it's not necessarily a matter of being stingy. I don't know about you but I live in France, and in my tiny country alone we consume the full output of two nuclear reactors running 24/7/365 to power devices that are in sleep mode and ought to be turned off properly. (:france:) That poo poo's wasteful and terrible for the environment and i'm not even bringing coal into the mix.

Now I know this is the PS4 thread on forums.somethingawful.com and I'm sounding like a dick, but do you really need that PS4 running in rest mode all day all year long just so you can save 10 seconds booting it up every evening ? If so that's great for you but don't judge people who may be more environmentally conscious. :)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i turn my ps4 off when im not using it

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Okay I take back what I said before, the talky in Horizon is good for setting up an open world game. There's nothing like being on a mission from god to give you license to do all the normal open world stuff.

edit: I'm worried I'm gonna get this story and the one of Nier Automata mixed up in my head though, since both are about a post-apoaclyptic world covered with hostile machines for mysterious reasons.

Why did you mention zelda: breath of the wild in your post?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

fridge corn posted:

i turn my ps4 off when im not using it

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Dude, I'm gonna go on a rant here because your post really triggered me so let me say this: it's not necessarily a matter of being stingy. I don't know about you but I live in France, and in my tiny country alone we consume the full output of two nuclear reactors running 24/7/365 to power devices that are in sleep mode and ought to be turned off properly. (:france:) That poo poo's wasteful and terrible for the environment and i'm not even bringing coal into the mix.

Now I know this is the PS4 thread on forums.somethingawful.com and I'm sounding like a dick, but do you really need that PS4 running in rest mode all day all year long just so you can save 10 seconds booting it up every evening ? If so that's great for you but don't judge people who may be more environmentally conscious. :)
I guess that's a good point. I consume so much power in big things that I hadn't thought about all the little things very much.

That number is kind of crazy though; the only devices I have that have a sleep mode are my PS4, PC and my TV draws a little bit I guess? Do other people have way more?

Ineffiable posted:

Why did you mention zelda: breath of the wild in your post?
I'm not following you.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I use sleep mode most of the time but if I know I'm not going to use it for an extended period, I turn it off. No reason to leave it on rest when I'm out of town for a few weeks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I agree with view on an ideological level, so this is a serious question: Isn't the ps4 powerbrick still drawing a trickle of power, just by being plugged into the wall, even when the system is turned off?

The ps4 seems to draw between 2.5 and 10 watts while in rest mode. So, if it's drawing 10, then yeah, powering off is probably gonna save you some. But if it's srawing 2.5? I don't know enough about the trickle drawn by plugged in appliances to actually know.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess that's a good point. I consume so much power in big things that I hadn't thought about all the little things very much.

That number is kind of crazy though; the only devices I have that have a sleep mode are my PS4, PC and my TV draws a little bit I guess? Do other people have way more?

I'm not following you.

I have the same, my pc, my ps4 and the tv I have it plugged on. My 360 is unplugged, same with the Wii and I don't even leave chargers plugged.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm not following you.

New Zelda also features robots and post-apocalypse open world.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You don't have a microwave, toaster, oven/stove?

Edit: got confused and thought the number was about appliances not in use. It's pretty nuts if it just hightech electeonics in sleep mode...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

New Zelda also features robots and post-apocalypse open world.
I didn't mention it in my post (because Zelda can eat it and poor dead Metroid was the real deal) and got told I did, so I am confused.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snak posted:

You don't have a microwave, toaster, oven/stove?

I don't even have lights in my house, I just drape DS4s with the lightbar on 100% here and there.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
On my way to bed going around spilling beer on all my ds4s

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't mention it in my post (because Zelda can eat it and poor dead Metroid was the real deal) and got told I did, so I am confused.

I was making a joke as March is national apocalypse with mysterious machines and long dead civilizations open world games month.

It's like how there's a joke if someone asks about what movie this was, someone will say groundhog day.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I can't wait to play that new game. Where I can shoot or slice up giant robots and their weak spots.

I also can't wait to find and discover items in out of the way paths and to learn and use new weapons and abilities. I think there might be some customization too!

I do hope I'll be able to discover what happened to the civilization that happened before this time. The lore should be rich and have lots of room for interpretation.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ME:Andromeda out soon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hah, yeah I was thinking that.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Speaking of does anyone know if they'll honour it if you buy something that's like £49.99 or does it absolutely have to be £50 or over?

Hmm good question. I have a vague memory of them honoring it, but I'm not sure. Would save me from buying the 0,25€ avatar.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Preach it, brother!

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think you'll get Yoko Taro writing mixed up with anything else.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Liver Disaster posted:

I don't think you'll get Yoko Taro writing mixed up with anything else.

Never forget Tara Platt talking about how much she fucks, and how much she wants to kill her siblings

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm so glad I have no idea what you guys are going on about

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The gear system in Horizon is a bit weird. You can't unsocked your mods without sinking points in a skill, and you don't appear to be able to upgrade from one piece of gear to the other, because you sink so much money into each. Trying to figure out when, if ever, to buy new gear, but I have to use somewhere around half or a third of my metal to do so.

I think that's my only main gripe with the awesome game; it's a little difficult to gauge where you are level-, gear-, enemy-wise.

But at least a lot of enemies have a hidden way of dealing a lot of damage to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ufarn posted:

The gear system in Horizon is a bit weird. You can't unsocked your mods without sinking points in a skill, and you don't appear to be able to upgrade from one piece of gear to the other, because you sink so much money into each. Trying to figure out when, if ever, to buy new gear, but I have to use somewhere around half or a third of my metal to do so.

I think that's my only main gripe with the awesome game; it's a little difficult to gauge where you are level-, gear-, enemy-wise.

But at least a lot of enemies have a hidden way of dealing a lot of damage to them.

Higher level gear doesn't actually impact stats much. It unlocks new ammo types for that weapon and more mod slots. There is no reason to hold onto lower tier gear, upgrade as soon as possible. You will get more shards quickly.