Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does this game have any kind of quest log? I think that's the only thing I really want that's unlikely to make it in. But Majora's Mask 3D sorta had one, so maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
e: Never mind. I got it to work and now I have a digital preorder. Even if it takes all day to download, that's still shorter than waiting till Tuesday.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 2, 2017

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The neogaf spoilers thread has end game boss gifs, and I'm reeeeaallly digging the design.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Escobarbarian posted:

Does this game have any kind of quest log? I think that's the only thing I really want that's unlikely to make it in. But Majora's Mask 3D sorta had one, so maybe?

Yes it does.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Confirmation from the Eurogamer review, dungeons as we know them are gone.

I am awfully sad about this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

Yes it does.

Oh gently caress yes.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just "watched" IGN's video review, but I was looking away from the screen most of the time because I didn't want to see any new footage... Only, I looked for a few seconds at some random point and saw a glimpse of one of the non-human races' towns (it was Zora's Domain) ... and it was... :aaaaa:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I think it's good though. Consider that in LTTP or OOT there really wasn't much to do other than dungeons or mini-dungeons. If BOTW is as expansive as everyone seems to be saying we won't really need dungeons to have fun.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
my order is fully dispatched and i just paid 10 goddamn quid for delivery of switch and zelda between 8.30 to 10.30 tomorrow loving morning. holy poo poo this must be some kind of illness.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
There are comparison videos of Wii U and Switch versions, they are virtually identical in terms of graphics and framerate with the only difference being 720p versus 900p. The draw distances, textures, effects and such are all identical and render in the exact same way. I'm kinda surprised. I was expecting better from Switch.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
BOTW is currently the #2 ranked game on metacritic after OOT.

:stare:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

When you consider that there are 22 reviews for OOT and already 52 reviews for BOTW it is even more impressive

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 really that good???

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

axeil posted:

Ocarina of Time was released in '98 :lost:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Reviews are all essentially saying the same thing, which is the number #1 fear that everyone had when people started seeing how big the map of BotW was: yeah it's big but is there anything to do in it?

The answer appears to be a resounding "yes," so much so that it re-invented the genre. One review, paraphrased, said that the world feels randomly generated at times (i.e. you always have a feeling of fresh exploration) but you know that each tree and rock is hand-placed and intentional. Most reviewers have 50-60 hours in and don't think they've done everything and had to quickly rush the story to get the review out on time. The lack of proper dungeons (spoiler I guess?) really doesn't bother me if the mechanics and spirit are still present, just out in the open world.

All that said, GOAT talk needs to be taken down a notch because it's going to set unrealistic expectations.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sakurazuka posted:

Hyes

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

axeil posted:

oh my god oh my god oh my gaaaaaaaaaaawd.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes. Great soundtrack too.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Sakurazuka posted:

For it's time? Abso-loving-lutely.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

THPS 2 for the DC <3

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

goldfinger says yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJXAqmZDNrQ

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Tbh I'm glad the classic dungeon style is done for. We've had enough Zelda titles of "Get X Item, use it to kill Boss" that it was ripe for some changes. I haven't read up on it though I will be sad if none of the shrine abilities give cool item-like abilities.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

That was the first game man. If you wanna talk THPS2 this is the essential song of that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7KhVTXKE1Y

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Okay I don't usually put that much stock in review numbers but holy poo poo :suspense:

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I've seen this game's equivalent of dungeons and I don't think people will be disappointed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Augus posted:

Okay I don't usually put that much stock in review numbers but holy poo poo :suspense:

I've seen this game's equivalent of dungeons and I don't think people will be disappointed.

do we need to lick the cartridge to activate the new dungeons that exist exclusively in our minds? y/n.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Link could only ever beat Tony Hawk again by learning to shred better than him.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Sakurazuka posted:

3 should be even higher

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

4 or Underground is a real highpoint too. It's a good series that just got way too stale. Few of the dozens of games are actively bad.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
i just read the kotaku review and this sounds loving amazing.

quote:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, in contrast, is all about what you can do. This is a game that says “yes” to anything you ask of it.

There are times when you may feel like you’re accessing places that you’re not supposed to reach yet, but Breath of the Wild would disagree with that perspective. Breath of the Wild wants you to go wherever you want.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild doesn’t just evoke the feelings of a boundless world; it gives you one. The game feels, in so many ways, like what Zelda has always strived to be. Free of the traditions that the series has followed so rigorously over the past decade, Breath of the Wild emerges triumphant. It is groundbreaking. It is the pinnacle of Zelda.

http://kotaku.com/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-the-kotaku-rev-1792885174

note: has spoilers about the start of the game which is...not the same as it's been in the past!

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 2, 2017

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

well why not posted:

4 or Underground is a real highpoint too. It's a good series that just got way too stale. Few of the dozens of games are actively bad.

It's actually a real loving shame Neversoft went under after the whole Guitar Hero fiasco, they had a level of passion and talent you don't get from too many developers anymore.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

well why not posted:

Underground was just laaaaaaaaame

4 was cool but I didn't think the levels were as good

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The Tony Hawk series is really good you guys.

Please use spoiler tags and be smart today. Thank you.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Underground had cool levels and I liked having a rival as a motivation for career mode.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I still have to wait until tomorrow. :negative:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
One thing in the Eurogamer review that I kind of leered at was the whole "the writing is worse than in OoT and MM but that doesn't matter anyway!" I mean, the scripts in those two were nothing to scream about anyway, but I still remember the casts.

Oh, well. More likely the NPC's will be closer to those in Twilight Princess, which had maybe two characters who were remotely memorable.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

well why not posted:

Underground had cool levels and I liked having a rival as a motivation for career mode.

The hidden ending was immensely satisfying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMbHn7KU39k

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hace posted:

3 should be even higher

:yeah:

well why not posted:

:yeah:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This is legitimately the most excited I have been for a video game since Nintendo 64. Maybe ever.

Tomorrow can't get here fast enough!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
you know what, gently caress zelda

let's all play THPS5 instead!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I dunno about the others dungeon or lack thereof but Hyrule Castle is really cool (no spoilers beyond "you do in fact go there" - I've only played a couple of hours but I made a beeline for it and was successful because I am the King Gamer). You can actively avoid minibosses, puzzles, set-pieces etc just by strategic use of climbing, paragliding and sneaking, right up to the end of the dungeon.

The game really does commit to player freedom all the way to (what I assume is) the final dungeon, which really impressed me, and it's just made me all the more hyped for coming back at the end - it's like visiting the Forsaken Fortress at the start of Wind Waker and having to escape, except every part of this similar story is down to my agency.