Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the psychological terror of stairs is too powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

GulagDolls posted:

I told you about stairs bro.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I died a lot in those stairs as well, for some reasons, so that video captured my frustrations quite well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GulagDolls posted:

It's at a time like this when a boss that takes advantage of stair placement to gently caress you up would be amazing

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Baal posted:

It's at a time like this when a boss that takes advantage of stair placement to gently caress you up would be amazing

My Stand, [ EVERYTHING IS AWFUL ], can "control" the "positioning" of "stairs"!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

the ultimate stairs are quickly approaching woolie

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

GulagDolls posted:

the ultimate stairs are quickly approaching woolie

Woolie will get past this first try without any effort. It will be something really inexplicable that he ends up throwing himself against over and over, like the silver knights Siegmeyer needs killed or something.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I spoiled myself on the plot synopsis for THUG and now can't wait. :allears:

I can guarantee now Eric's betrayal will be an all-time SBFP moment.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I don't think woolie has ever been closer to a full snail transformation

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Depths posted:

I don't think woolie has ever been closer to a full snail transformation
Last time they spent an entire episode searching for a soul item and he has like 15 of them unspent in his inventory.

Pat needs to honk the airhorn he uses for Paige getting lost in RE7 whenever Woolie goes out of his way for an item he doesn't need.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo it's been two goddamn years since the Parasite Eve 1 LP

I remember seeing that coming out with the Silent Hill 2 LP and the Mario RPG LP and thinking "Okay I love this game I'll come back to it in a little while and binge it when they're done"

Then forgetting about it until seeing their PE2 LP

It feels like it was only a few months ago what the hell happened to time is this too Omnikron's fault?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Burkion posted:

is this too Omnikron's fault?

Everything is David Cage's fault.

Buckets posted:

Woolie will get past this first try without any effort. It will be something really inexplicable that he ends up throwing himself against over and over, like the silver knights Siegmeyer needs killed or something.

Here's hoping Woolie Watcher fucks off forever so he can get invaded by more interesting/funny/troll gimmicks like THE WALL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXp8Th41rBs&t=48s

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Also, aside from the in-game annoyance, the WoolieWatcher guy was cheating so he could stalk Woolie while he was grinding.

That's... kinda weird. I'd discourage that poo poo, too.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i bet wooliewatcher is paige and pat is just texting her woolie's coordinates

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HoboTech posted:

Also, aside from the in-game annoyance, the WoolieWatcher guy was cheating so he could stalk Woolie while he was grinding.

I'm reasonably certain that's not actually possible and Woolie/Pat were misunderstanding what the dude was talking about.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Justice Sloth posted:

Last time they spent an entire episode searching for a soul item and he has like 15 of them unspent in his inventory.

Pat needs to honk the airhorn he uses for Paige getting lost in RE7 whenever Woolie goes out of his way for an item he doesn't need.

Man, I've played DS1 for 320 hours and I still can't remember exactly where all the items are, especially Sens Fortress-on, so I'm sure Pat doesn't know what items are the good ones. And if they miss even one weapon, armor piece, spell, or any lore-bearing random poo poo they'll get yelled at by the Crazies, so what are they supposed to do but get everything?

Genocyber posted:

I'm reasonably certain that's not actually possible and Woolie/Pat were misunderstanding what the dude was talking about.

I mean he's certainly using a mod that messes with the matchmaking to enable you to connect to specific individuals reliably, but whether that's cheating or not is up to you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yo! New series

Best Friends ALL the Beat Em Ups!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

I mean he's certainly using a mod that messes with the matchmaking to enable you to connect to specific individuals reliably, but whether that's cheating or not is up to you.

Oh I have no doubt that's possible, given that there was (is?) Dscfix which automatically put you in the same node as people on your friends list in the GWFL version of the game. I was referring to Woolie (incorrectly I imagine) believing they WoolieWatcher somehow was able to monitor his location in the game.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The Best Friends almost make the travesty that is RCR Underground look good. Almost.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Travesty? Really?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Travesty? Really?

According to the Steam thread. Here's a citation.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

It also has a average review of "Mostly Positive", which on Steam usually indicates a mediocre game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The beginning is aggressively rough to the point of just clearly being unbalanced and there are parts of the game that are just an exercise in banging you head against poorly programmed mechanicals

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've played worse co op games with friends

I've played Dead Space 3

This will be fine

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

VolticSurge posted:

According to the Steam thread. Here's a citation.

I know the issues, I've played it and own it. It's only a "travesty" in the sense that it feels weirdly unfinished for a game that took 4 years to make but it's not a fundamentally bad game and most of the issues could easily be resolved post-launch. (that being said, it seems the people who made the game took up full-time jobs a while ago so who knows if it'll actually get fixed.)

An obvious contrast is the recently-released Double Dragon 4 which is also buggy and unpolished but also ugly and unfun in a way that couldn't ever be addressed.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Oh I have no doubt that's possible, given that there was (is?) Dscfix which automatically put you in the same node as people on your friends list in the GWFL version of the game. I was referring to Woolie (incorrectly I imagine) believing they WoolieWatcher somehow was able to monitor his location in the game.
DSCM doesn't let you see people through walls or anything, but it does absolutely let you track a player's area and human/hollow condition.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I played and beat the original River City Ransom and River City Ransom EX, both of which told you nothing about how to best boost your stats (and in the case of RCR EX didn't even tell you that was super important which is why it sucked when I reached the end of the game and was only doing 1-2 damage per hit to the endgame bosses). Granted it does look like the cop thing is really stupid since there's literally no real advantage to fighting them, but I'm still willing to give the game a look.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
I'm playing through RCR:U and outside of some questionable tutorializing decisions, a few unclear quests and one particularly annoying mission, I'm really loving it.

I got really frustrated early because you aren't taken near any food shops, so there's no way to replenish your health until after you fight purple bee and get into the game proper, and by then you might be running on fumes with all the cops running around. Also, they tutorialize getting drinks by punching vending machines, and that's literally just a trap because every vending machine I've hit has done nothing but PROC a vandalism charge to make the cops come after you. But after you find the first shop this stops being an issue entirely (go 2 screens left from the Auto Shop, but that is 7 screens left from the purple Bee fight, so it's quite a journey). Also, the tutorial popups in general are really easy to mash through since they pop up in fights and go away when the attack buttons are hit.

But the combat feels really good, and it's a lot of fun trying out different stuff in chains to see what works. It seems like you can link pretty much any individual move after any other, with some only working in specific chains (PPK, etc) or situations. It gets down to the granularity of Provie going airborne on her third consecutive kick, allowing you to use the airborne S attack really low to the ground if you time it right. It's a ton of fun. And it feels great to just juggling guys after they're dead.

It's also looks and sounds great, on top of feeling fun to play.

So, I spent a ton of time just trying stuff out and ended up pretty much always having plenty of money to get stuff, but if you just go from screen to screen not fighting that much, you'll start feeling low on money, stats and moves pretty soon. From what I understand this has lead to some fair complaints about needing to grind.

All in all I find it pretty good. I did back the game (I actually backed this instead of Mighty No. 9) and was worried it would turn out to be garbage or never come out, but I'm pleased with it.

CaptainFish fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 2, 2017

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

hoobajoo posted:

Man, I've played DS1 for 320 hours and I still can't remember exactly where all the items are, especially Sens Fortress-on, so I'm sure Pat doesn't know what items are the good ones. And if they miss even one weapon, armor piece, spell, or any lore-bearing random poo poo they'll get yelled at by the Crazies, so what are they supposed to do but get everything?

They get yelled at by the Crazies in literally every eventuality, because they're the Crazies. They could just NOT get everything, wouldn't be the end of the world, the overwhelming majority of negative feedback is Woolie taking too long to progress, not missing items.

Justice Sloth fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 2, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I enjoyed woolie's trials and tribulations with sisyphus's staircase. Especially when he managed to knock the tumor guy off that one time and immediately followed him off to his death

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah I'm not gonna lie I soured on the WoolieWatcher gimmick real fast, he's not even really being an entertaining nuisance, he's just kinda like. Bordering on that level of creepily boring and third-wheeling that fans will do when they have no real restraint or ability to realize they're being chodes.

I'm honestly with Pat in that this goes a level beyond Stream-sniping that they shouldn't be actively encouraging.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Stream sniping is hilarious. What woolie watcher is doing is the antithesis to that.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah, basically.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Justice Sloth posted:

They get yelled at by the Crazies in literally every eventuality, because they're the Crazies. They could just NOT get everything, wouldn't be the end of the world, the overwhelming majority of negative feedback is Woolie taking too long to progress, not missing items.

If you looked at Pat's twitter, someone asked if the Crazies get to him and he answered, absolutely. And if even Pat gets affected by this, I can see why Liam and Matt burned out.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Monathin posted:

Bordering on that level of creepily boring and third-wheeling that fans will do when they have no real restraint or ability to realize they're being chodes.

This, 100%.

As cool as it would be to meet/interact with the guys, I recognize that I don't know them personally and am owed zero recognition either on video or off. When fans start forcibly interjecting themselves into the content, it gets weird and creepy real fast. I GUESS the watcher guy showed some restraint by not dropping a bunch of +15 weapons/end game gear instead of the humanity, but it still reeks of "I'M HELPING, I'M PART OF THE LP, PLEASE LOVE ME".

Now the guy in Blight Town who wanted the boxing match? THAT'S how you do it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

HoboTech posted:

Now the guy in Blight Town who wanted the boxing match? THAT'S how you do it.

That was also WoolieWatcher IIRC. He should've stuck to gimmicks like that.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Neo_Crimson posted:

That was also WoolieWatcher IIRC. He should've stuck to gimmicks like that.

Okay, I thought that was someone else entirely, but I guess I was confusing it for the constant reappearance of SadMan as a summoning sign.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The boxing match invader had a blank name. I suppose it could have been WoolieWatcher, but who knows.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

davidHalestorm posted:

If you looked at Pat's twitter, someone asked if the Crazies get to him and he answered, absolutely. And if even Pat gets affected by this, I can see why Liam and Matt burned out.
I didn't imply that the negative feedback wouldn't affect them. But if they're gonna get yelled at one way or the other, and they will because soulsbitching is purely arbitrary, why not just say "gently caress it" and not go out of their way to scour for items?

Woolie mentioned wanting to cut down on the number of episodes this time around. If they end up missing something they specifically want, they could just look at item-maps off-screen. Not that I didn't enjoy Woolie vs Stairs, just seems like he's creating more work for himself than he needs to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Justice Sloth posted:

I didn't imply that the negative feedback wouldn't affect them. But if they're gonna get yelled at one way or the other, and they will because soulsbitching is purely arbitrary, why not just say "gently caress it" and not go out of their way to scour for items?

Woolie mentioned wanting to cut down on the number of episodes this time around. If they end up missing something they specifically want, they could just look at item-maps off-screen. Not that I didn't enjoy Woolie vs Stairs, just seems like he's creating more work for himself than he needs to.

Because Pat wants to show off the cool poo poo and if you miss out on the cool poo poo you get dislike-bombed. If I were Pat I'd do the map/walkthru thing for Souls for sure tho. Also I think people underestimate how playing these games as a duo can slow you down. Very often Pat mentions "oh, you could do this" and Woolie will backtrack or spend a good 10min discussing that option with Pat instead of just moving ahead to wherever he was gonna go.

The one thing I'll give you about pacing is that they should've cut every single leveling up/crafting trip. Other than that these games are slow and long as gently caress anyway, How Long to Beat gives out a 50h average which would be about 100 episodes, hehe. It just feels slower when you're watching it.