Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Is there any info on whether the WiiU or Switch version of this runs/looks better? I've basically sat out Nintendo this last generation, but I want to give this game a go, and I'm debating which version to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Basically identical.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ppl say no so get wii u!!!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Hace posted:

you know what, gently caress zelda

let's all play THPS5 instead!!!!!!

No, don't, it's awful.

Instead next time you are shield shredding down a mountain in Zelda start playing this in the background:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC3who987Yg

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
You could scroll for 5 minutes on Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Metacritic reviews and you won't even pass all the 100% scores.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

axeil posted:

do we need to lick the cartridge to activate the new dungeons that exist exclusively in our minds? y/n.

Yes

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

FooF posted:

Reviews are all essentially saying the same thing, which is the number #1 fear that everyone had when people started seeing how big the map of BotW was: yeah it's big but is there anything to do in it?

I love how in the giant bomb review he was talking about how he saw a random island out in the water and decided to go to it and when he got there is was.....well, some crazy poo poo that sounded super intense and hard even for Nintendo hard fuckery. And how he just runs into stuff like that all over the place.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
How am I suppose to sleep with my hype levels at maximum??!?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

axeil posted:

do we need to blow into the cartridge to activate the new dungeons that exist exclusively in our minds? y/n.

Fixed for old school Zelda method.

It sounds like this is going to be a very good game! I'm okay with lack of classic dungeons because the first Zelda's dungeons (most classic of them all) are more like the Shrines in BotW - they even look the same from the outside.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/PlayStationUK/status/837257820840030208

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

aw.

here's some very minor spoilery impressions from my first three or four hours with the game. I've tried to focus on the negatives, as they definitely do exist, even if this appears to be game of the decade.

- Shrines are cool so far, bigger than I thought they would be but somewhat limited. It's surprising to to into a huge room that has literally one puzzle to solve before getting to the goal. Also not sure if they have specific locations or if there is a set progression - you need to teleport into them so they could easily have a set order that you go through regardless of which temple you've found. I'm assuming they're in set locations though as they've already had to find a way to make the overworld vary in difficulty so why not apply the same principles to shrines. set progression would remove a lot of the discovery-feeling while not actually changing much in effect though.

- Main complaint with shrines is the lack of environmental variety. If we're losing dungeons it's a real shame to have their replacement have the same aesthetic through the whole game. I was reeaaaally worried at first they all had the same city in the sky ripoff music but that doesn't seem to be the case, there's at least 3 or so songs that they can feature

- You can get off the plateau before getting the glider, in fact it's pretty easy to do if you're taking a long way around to get to a shrine.

- in terms of the opening plateau, it's very large and very dense. however, much of what's there is guided by the story. I was hyped to climb to the top of the temple of time right off the bat only to find a sick bow, and was disappointed to find that it's a mandatory location by the end of the intro

- game is hard. we've all heard it but it's pretty true. learn to cook right away as it'll really lessen the early game's annoyances.

- game is huge. you're looking at 10 minutes just to run across the plateau. probably 10-15 minutes to get from the plateau to the next location (kakariko village) to the east, and that's not even at the extreme boundary of the east map. just a guess but I'd estimate 40 minutes nonstop running to go from edge to edge

- speaking of running, the time to deplete stamina is very very low, making running around an annoying minigame of letting go of A every two and a half seconds. Not sure if there's going to be a way to upgrade this - haven't seen a skills menu or whatever that would indicate this is possible. There are stamina boosting foods but that will never be a permanent solution.

- controls are great. little complex honestly, I would frankly prefer a 1-1 implementation from dark souls. but the weapon movesets are fun, there's a lot of freedom, and a lot of room for skill based gameplay. only annoyance is that there's no dodge when not locked on, and when locked on it's really not something that gives you a lot of mobility, moving you only a bit to the side or back.

- it's very stupid the lack of use of the wii u gamepad. it's literally not used. this is silly when you have a pad shaped inventory system - can only guess that this was just never implemented when they decided to go multiplat. Would be so handy to be able to switch weapons and especially powers on the fly. you already can do this with dpad menus but it would be much easier on a touchscreen

- the music! oh man the music. every single piece either directly references or evokes a past composition, which might seem a bit on the nose usually but because the tunes are used so sparingly (no overworld music), when you hear a snippet of a tune you know coming from a shack over the hill, it's like stumbling on or uncovering a distant piece of the past, which is really what this whole game seems to be about in theme.

- murdering dudes with the iron hammer is great fun

- koroks own

- I still frankly am not sure what the composition of the game looks to be. Really hoping there's more to it besides the main quest directing you to specific shrines and then the guardians. First sidequest i got after the plateau was a treasure hunting one with a verbal riddle/clue, so there's going to be that kind of thing at least.

- so zelda has been holding down hyrule castle for the last 100 years, are we getting granny zelda? and how is impa gonna be alive? questions questions

That's all I've got for now but if anyone has any questions about the early game I'd be happy to answer.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 2, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Can we wait for the reviewers who aren't getting free stuff from Nintendo to chime in on this

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Walrus posted:

- speaking of running, the time to deplete stamina is very very low, making running around an annoying minigame of letting go of A every two and a half seconds. Not sure if there's going to be a way to upgrade this - haven't seen a skills menu or whatever that would indicate this is possible. There are stamina boosting foods but that will never be a permanent solution.

Don't you get a choice to upgrade your health or stamina after each shrine you complete? That, along with the stamina boosting foods, should make this a non issue fairly quickly, no?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

That's really cool and classy. Hope to see more tweets like this from folks in the industry.

I'm just waking up to all the news. I like the picture where it's #2 behind big brother on Metacritic (although I think it's #4 now, not that it really matters). Going to be completely unproductive at work today reading up on review stuff.

Also Tony Hawk 2 was mind-blowing for it's time and deserves it's high place. It's legacy is marred because later entries became a total joke, but once upon a time those games could be counted on to be bigtime releases. Good example in gaming of going back to the well after it was dry.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 2, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

TheKingofSprings posted:

Can we wait for the reviewers who aren't getting free stuff from Nintendo to chime in on this

You'll have to wait until next week then.

But who cares, it's Zelda!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Walrus posted:

- Shrines are cool so far, bigger than I thought they would be but somewhat limited. It's surprising to to into a huge room that has literally one puzzle to solve before getting to the goal. Also not sure if they have specific locations or if there is a set progression - you need to teleport into them so they could easily have a set order that you go through regardless of which temple you've found. I'm assuming they're in set locations though as they've already had to find a way to make the overworld vary in difficulty so why not apply the same principles to shrines. set progression would remove a lot of the discovery-feeling while not actually changing much in effect though.
they're not in set order, I went to one just next to Hyrule Castle as a shelter while I was running away from Guardians and it threw me into an arena fight with an adorable fencing robot set to hilarious bleep bloop music. I beat it with careful environment use and got some really good gear but it OHKO'd me any time it hit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Walrus posted:

here's some very minor spoilery impressions from my first three or four hours with the game. I've tried to focus on the negatives, as they definitely do exist, even if this appears to be game of the decade.

One thing about stamina: there does seem a way to permanently boost your stamina, at least going by what a couple of reviewers have said about shrines. That said, it looks like you can maybe double it at most? That's just judging by what your increased stamina looks like on the UI (an extra green circle around your base one that you unlock in quarters).

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I own a wii u basic (lol) and tried running this game from the USB.

It did not work very well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

RCarr posted:

Don't you get a choice to upgrade your health or stamina after each shrine you complete? That, along with the stamina boosting foods, should make this a non issue fairly quickly, no?

oh right, yes, I forgot, it was getting late by the time I stopped playing.

spoiler for health/stamina increases

every 4 shrine bits you get you can trade in for more hearts or stamina.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Harrow posted:

One thing about stamina: there does seem a way to permanently boost your stamina, at least going by what a couple of reviewers have said about shrines. That said, it looks like you can maybe double it at most? That's just judging by what your increased stamina looks like on the UI (an extra green circle around your base one that you unlock in quarters).

At least triple.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mulva posted:

At least triple.

Oh cool, that's better, then.

Anyone here playing the Wii U version? I'm curious how, for lack of a better word, pretty it looks compared to the Switch one. Resolution differences I couldn't care less about, but when I play this game I want it to be as pretty as its whole watercolor aesthetic deserves, so things like environment detail being noticeably worse would bum me out.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

axeil posted:

BOTW is currently the #2 ranked game on metacritic after OOT.

:stare:

Goddamn why is gta4 so high up lmao

Or soul calibur hahah

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Harrow posted:

Oh cool, that's better, then.

Anyone here playing the Wii U version? I'm curious how, for lack of a better word, pretty it looks compared to the Switch one. Resolution differences I couldn't care less about, but when I play this game I want it to be as pretty as its whole watercolor aesthetic deserves.

Again, the versions are basically identical aside from a slightly higher res on Switch.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Waffleman_ posted:

Again, the versions are basically identical aside from a slightly higher res on Switch.

Do you have any links to Youtube vids doing a side-by-side comparison that are non-spoiler? I'm pretty hesitant to wade in deep now that the embargo is over.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't have any on me, no. I'm sure they're out there, though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

game's so good you could call it Boobs of the Wife.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
One thing I'm a bit worried about is open-world fatigue - with such a large game, I might just never get around to actually finish it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sigmachiev posted:

Do you have any links to Youtube vids doing a side-by-side comparison that are non-spoiler? I'm pretty hesitant to wade in deep now that the embargo is over.

Your best bet will probably be to wait for Digital Foundry to upload one. It'll be spoiler-free and pretty in-depth if it's like any of their other comparisons.

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, that's better than I expected and also fills me with a small amount of dread because now I have no idea how I'm going to play Horizon, Zelda, and Nier: Automata all at the same time :psyduck:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

One thing I'm a bit worried about is open-world fatigue - with such a large game, I might just never get around to actually finish it.

Normally I would agree with you, but since this is a Zelda game, I don't think I'll have any issues completing a 100% run.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Your best bet will probably be to wait for Digital Foundry to upload one. It'll be spoiler-free and pretty in-depth if it's like any of their other comparisons.

Well, that's better than I expected and also fills me with a small amount of dread because now I have no idea how I'm going to play Horizon, Zelda, and Nier: Automata all at the same time :psyduck:

Controller in each hand, controller in mouth, HDMI cables plugged directly into brain stem

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

Normally I would agree with you, but since this is a Zelda game, I don't think I'll have any issues completing a 100% run.

According to the Easy Allies review, they've spent about 60 hours with the game and have a 20-something% completion rate on the menu. (Granted those tend to count silly collectibles, so it might not be a great measure.)

They did say the main story could be run through in like 20-30 hours and the game does a good job of making sure you know where to go to follow the main story, for anyone worried about getting lost for ages and giving up.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Does the digital version of the game unlock at midnight local time or midnight Pacific time?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Sakurazuka posted:

Is Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 really that good???

"Whoa, have you guys played this game called Legend of Zelda: OOT? It's so good. What if we made that, but with skateboards?" - Tony Hawk

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

game's so good you could call it Boobs of the Wife.

Lol. I love a good play on acronyms.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

spasticColon posted:

Does the digital version of the game unlock at midnight local time or midnight Pacific time?

I've been looking for any solid info about a digital release and haven't found anything :smith:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I know this is highly unlikely but is Nintendo doing a pre-load at all?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Popete posted:

They were for the EU and then that got leaked and I think they went "oh...well time to take this down" but it was already too late.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Popete posted:

Its actually rather odd that they aren't. Most of their big releases get one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Its actually rather odd that they aren't. Most of their big releases get one.

Shows how little I've played of my Wii U. I'm embarrassed today that I forgot it was coming out tomorrow and now I have an awesome surprise for the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
My refurbished Wii U is on vehicle for delivery today. :woop: