Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
How dangerous heavy cav is depends also on how much space there is on the battlefield to maneuver. Many heavy cav units have a charge-bonus, which is what makes them the bane of many other chaff units.

If you can immobilize them, they're suddenly a lot less scary. The worst thing an awake pretender can do is sitting around, waiting for the cavalry to come to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It'll be interesting to see who starts focusing you down with that massive siphon cast.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Veryslightlymad posted:

Dominions feels like a computer game interpretation of Glen Cook's The Black Company.

Sure, these horrific godlike beings can cause the entire forests of the earth to give birth to horrific vine men that will attack anything that doesn't worship said godlike being. But get one of those fuckers alone against enough heavy cavalry? It'll go down.

Cook took the man vs God theme to the next level with Tyranny of the Night. Worth reading if you miss Croaker, or if you just enjoy a fantasy version of the Middle Ages, it's pretty good.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Libluini posted:

How dangerous heavy cav is depends also on how much space there is on the battlefield to maneuver. Many heavy cav units have a charge-bonus, which is what makes them the bane of many other chaff units.

If you can immobilize them, they're suddenly a lot less scary. The worst thing an awake pretender can do is sitting around, waiting for the cavalry to come to it.

The last dom game I played (a long time ago, granted), I defeated the mighty ponymen with the humble Alt-2 spell earth meld and a bunch of cheap earth mages. Can't glamour your way out when the very ground rises against you!

I ride bikes all day posted:

Cook took the man vs God theme to the next level with Tyranny of the Night. Worth reading if you miss Croaker, or if you just enjoy a fantasy version of the Middle Ages, it's pretty good.

I suppose I can give it another chance. Couldn't get into it the last time I tried reading it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Veryslightlymad posted:

Dominions feels like a computer game interpretation of Glen Cook's The Black Company.

Sure, these horrific godlike beings can cause the entire forests of the earth to give birth to horrific vine men that will attack anything that doesn't worship said godlike being. But get one of those fuckers alone against enough heavy cavalry? It'll go down.

I mean yeah, you could probably put together a pretty convincing Dominions nation based off the Lady's Empire. The Black Company itself would work as a mercenary unit giving them three low level mages and some heavy infantry.

You could maybe even sort of do a EA / MA / LA set with the Dominator and the Taken in the EA, the MA with the Lady & Taken in the main trilogy and a LA Empire for the Empire after the initial trilogy and in the Silver Spike.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 27, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

The last dom game I played (a long time ago, granted), I defeated the mighty ponymen with the humble Alt-2 spell earth meld and a bunch of cheap earth mages. Can't glamour your way out when the very ground rises against you!

Yeah, glamoured cav is a special case, especially when supported by a water-bless, like Elf-ponies often are. Normal cavalry is already dead when you have cheap guys with wings, no extra magic needed. :v:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Did another book come out? Last I remember is he was sitting in a big old temple with the Lady getting used to his body and that was the end.

Jack2142 posted:

I mean yeah, you could probably put together a pretty convincing Dominions nation based off the Lady's Empire. The Black Company itself would work as a mercenary unit giving them three low level mages and some heavy infantry.

You could maybe even sort of do a EA / MA / LA set with the Dominator and the Taken in the EA, the MA with the Lady & Taken in the main trilogy and a LA Empire for the Empire after the initial trilogy and in the Silver Spike.

There is a great Malazan Book of the Fallen mod for Dom 3 that someone kindly updated to Dom 4 me that was a lot of fun.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Donkringel posted:

Did another book come out? Last I remember is he was sitting in a big old temple with the Lady getting used to his body and that was the end.

He wrote another series, kind of a not-1300's europe/middle east thing. The Company is done, probably. There have been plans for 2 more books for a decade, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

He wrote another series, kind of a not-1300's europe/middle east thing. The Company is done, probably. There have been plans for 2 more books for a decade, but I'm not holding my breath.

I honestly am satisfied with the way the series ended, the final book was a good send off yet by the end legitimately everyone character involved in the story from before the last two books is dead, the story of the company itself is resolved for the most part. I can see why nothing has materialized, I wouldn't try to follow up Many Deaths of the Black Company, unless it was a new series completely unrelated to them at that point just write a different series like he did.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 64

Look at that fantastic blood hunting!

Turn 64 begins with some mighty magic:

:boom: :sotw: :rock:

We successfully cast Arcane Nexus!! First thing to do is check the global list and see what we bumped off:

Mother Oak, that’s OK. I’d have been very happy if we’d killed Vengeful Waters but I should just be glad that we didn’t bump our own Eyes of God, and I've grown very used to having it.

OK, what does this mean? Well, I can’t remember if I went into the details of Arcane Nexus earlier in the LP, but to recap: Nexus takes 50% of every gem spent in the -world- and refunds them to you as Astral Pearls.
Astral Pearls and Blood Slaves spent are -excluded- from this, but everything else counts. This also counts your own gem expenditures! So, in practice if Bogarus spends 10 E crafting a pair of Earth Boots then I get 5 Pearls from that action. If I spend 40 N summoning a Fairy Queen then I get 20 Pearls back, and so on. Even in a normal game of Dominions 4 Arcane Nexus can end up netting the caster a ridiculous number of Pearls a turn, but this is a Mo Money style game and people are spending gems left, right, and center. In the first Mo Money game Nexus reaped anywhere from 70-200+ Pearls a turn, which is just loving insane.

Now, what happens in practice? The other nations of the world have a choice to make: they either continue with what they are doing now and choose to ignore this huge god drat gauntlet I’ve thrown down, or they all band together to murder us ASAP (smart!). I am really hoping that Pan and Bogarus don’t strike an alliance against us, but it could very well happen. I will have to chat with the players on IRC and see what they think.
If the world does -not- band together to kill us then they have about 4 or 5 turns before I recover the entire 535 Pearl investment in the spell. They have maybe 7 or 8 turns before I save up enough pearls to recast the spell at 999 strength. It will be tempting to start spending pearls immediately, but the wise thing to do will be to wait until we recoup the cost of the spell. Then we will have -so- many things to spend them on, it will be loads of fun.

So, what happened for the rest of the turn? It was actually a very quiet turn. Pan fought a few skirmishes with AI Ragha, our sieging forces on Mannish provinces got hit by a slew of tiny water elemental assassination attempts courtesy of Vengeful Waters, and tons of scouts were discovered and killed both of ours and of our enemies across the world.

We have cracked the gate of Man’s fort in Solam, but we are going to send a scout in first to see what to expect. We’ll move a big squad of Vampires back onto Solam so that next turn, if we have candles, we can storm the fort. We need to continue to race towards Man’s last remaining Throne!

Fingers crossed we can storm that dumb fort next turn!

We've been empowering Cain in Earth so he can cast a new battlefield enchantment.

Next turn: We begin to reap the rewards of the Arcane Nexus, and we see what the world has in store for us.

How are u fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 1, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

About the only thing that's a bigger deal than Arcane Nexus is Astral Corruption, which is like firing off biological weapons at every other player simultaneously.

Well, maybe wishing for Armageddon.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
What happens if you cast a global when you already have it up yourself? Do you just up the number of gems in the already existing global, or does it do the whole check and bump thing again anyway?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wiegieman posted:

About the only thing that's a bigger deal than Arcane Nexus is Astral Corruption, which is like firing off biological weapons at every other player simultaneously.

Well, maybe wishing for Armageddon.

And presumably Burden of Time?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some nations won't care about BoT, everyone cares about AC.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Vampires out the rear end, blood saccing, and Arcane Nexus. How the hell does the entire world not come for you before now, much less after Nexus?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:moonrio::moonrio::moonrio::moonrio::moonrio:
diplomacy OP diplomacy OP diplomacy OP
:moonrio::moonrio::moonrio::moonrio::moonrio:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

ousire posted:

What happens if you cast a global when you already have it up yourself? Do you just up the number of gems in the already existing global, or does it do the whole check and bump thing again anyway?

What's it should do is check against how many pearls the original global has versus the new one being cast. If the new one has more gems/more powerful caster, then the old gets bumped. Some games will have nations try to steal globals from each other.

So right now there are 4 main options.

1) Ignore the problem. Hope pearls don't make that much a difference.
2) Create an alliance to murder how or the caster the did the global. The vampires suggest you leave immediately.
3) Create a spellcaster alliance. There is a dispel spell that can be cast that knocks globals off their rear end. For serious spells this usually requires someone to be trusted with a poo poo load of gems. Side question; what is the meta for taking the alliance gems and loving off with them. Is the bad diplo or do you get blacklisted like not doing trades?
4) If you feel your stones are big enough you try to cast your own global to take it over as mentioned above. Risky but hilarious. Lot of things need to line up perfectly though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Donkringel posted:

3) Create a spellcaster alliance. There is a dispel spell that can be cast that knocks globals off their rear end. For serious spells this usually requires someone to be trusted with a poo poo load of gems. Side question; what is the meta for taking the alliance gems and loving off with them. Is the bad diplo or do you get blacklisted like not doing trades?

Firstly: shuttling a poo poo-load of Pearls to a third party to cast Dispel requires an immense amount of trust. In my limited experience this trust deficit is not often overcome.

Secondly: If a player advertised him or herself as the Dispel person, convinced their neighbors to dump untold numbers of Pearls upon them, and then reneged upon it entirely and lied about failing to dispel while keeping the Pearls...well I figure most people would applaud that as very well played subterfuge..

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Firstly: shuttling a poo poo-load of Pearls to a third party to cast Dispel requires an immense amount of trust. In my limited experience this trust deficit is not often overcome.

Secondly: If a player advertised him or herself as the Dispel person, convinced their neighbors to dump untold numbers of Pearls upon them, and then reneged upon it entirely and lied about failing to dispel while keeping the Pearls...well I figure most people would applaud that as very well played subterfuge..

But also remember not to trust them ever again.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hunt11 posted:

But also remember not to trust them ever again.

The magic is that you'll never know if they were lying or not. Thus :dominions: (fun emote here).

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

How are u posted:

:stare:

That's... an interesting point of view to hold.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

The magic is that you'll never know if they were lying or not. Thus :dominions: (fun emote here).

That's why the safest option is to go hunt them down your self. That or cast Astral corruption and laugh as all those astral gems become useless.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Corbeau posted:

:stare:

That's... an interesting point of view to hold.

If I'd donated to that particular dispel cause I'd be pissed as all hell, but how could I prove I was wronged? This truly is the best game.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The death of the caster also ends the spell, but tracking him/her/it doen can be hard. Beelining the capital to storm it is a bold, but risky option.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Far more easily than a reniged-on trade, yet that kind of poo poo can still get people diplo-blacklisted when there's a pattern. Trust is a big thing in diplomacy; betraying that trust carries a cost beyond whatever immediate game you're in. IMO much more expensive than any benefit in any single game.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Corbeau posted:

Far more easily than a reniged-on trade, yet that kind of poo poo can still get people diplo-blacklisted when there's a pattern. Trust is a big thing in diplomacy; betraying that trust carries a cost beyond whatever immediate game you're in. IMO much more expensive than any benefit in any single game.

This is absolutely true, context is key and personal relationships between players mean a lot in this game (and this small community). That said, it's almost impossible to accurately guess (within reason) a Pearl number for a Dispel. You're either going to way over-shoot the global or you're going to fail miserably.

Regarding Diplo-Blacklisting; how could anybody in this game know I just sunk 500+ Pearls into the spell? Every player knows its's a Mo'Money game, that's for sure, but that in and of itself does not give enough of a measure of how many gems somebody might spend on a global. It's a crapshoot!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Dominions: Nothing Was Ever True

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 65

Turn 65 begins as normal, with all of the regular spells cast: goats, Vampire Lords, wolves, etc.

The Arcane Nexus is still up, which means that the other nations of the world were are either choosing to ignore it for the moment or were unable to organize together to pool resources to dispel it. Bad news for them. We reaped a bountiful harvest of Pearls:

I expect more in the turns to come, but this is a great start!

There were a couple of battles this turn. Pangaea attacked Ragha’s capitol and has begun sieging it. We attacked Man’s capitol province with Vampires and killed the PD + 40~ Knights that were out patrolling:

No PD can stand up to Vampires.

We also pinged the fort in Solam with a scout:

A serious defense force.

Yikes. That’s a -lot- of Magisters. Also there are a few Flame Spirits to cast flaming arrows on the longbows, plus that Troll King who I am reasonably sure Man has rescripted to -not- cast Earthquake on his own army. I’m guessing the Troll King will cast a powerful army buff like Army of Gold or something. We are storming the fort next turn with Vampires, an Arch Devil, and an Enchantress. We’ll see how that goes!
We get hit by a wave (ho ho ho) of water elemental attacks again, and this time one of them kills one of our Howl caster Abbas sieging the fort in Thorn Woods. We lose a Thistle Mace, really aggravating! Man needs to pay for this.

Also, an army appears suddenly on our South-Western border with Caelum:

Armies appearing on borders is always concerning, and given the timing of our Arcane Nexus my first thought is that we’re about to be invaded. I manage to chat with Caelum on IRC, however, and he assures me that the army is just passing through on its way to the South where it will be used against AI Jomon and AI Mictlan. I’m inclined to believe him, both because 1) eating the AI is almost always preferable to fighting a nasty war against a human and 2) Caelum’s player (forums poster Libluini) has never acted particularly deceptively towards me in this game or any others we’ve played together. Because of the good communication we've had I am inclined to trust him.

I’d planned to divert a big squad of Vampires to the border, but instead they are going to fly up to Man and continue the siege of the capitol. We’ll see if Man tries to break out, I doubt he will.

Speaking of diplomacy: Pangaea is upset about the Arcane Nexus. We talked briefly on IRC and I have a sinking feeling that he is going to ignore the greater problem of a massive Bogarus and decide to attack me. He stated that his current priority is to finish off Man and eat the rest of AI Ragha, but I am going to assume that war between us is inevitable and prepare accordingly. Thus, we are leveraging the massive amount of blood slaves we’re now pulling in thanks to investing in a lot more blood hunting squads to summon a poo poo load more Vampires. We’re going to summon up a couple more defensive squads worth of them to go and hang out on our Eastern border with Pangaea. When he inevitably attacks we will immediately claim the Throne of the Pantokrator and start what is sure to be a very bloody war.

I’m also going to have to start talking to Bogarus’ player more often. Diplomancy wins games, and I can’t afford to be at war with both Bogarus and Pan at the same time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What're the maths for globals bumping each other? Is it just straight-up, if more gems are spent, the old Global gets knocked off the peg? Or is there a roll which is weighted based on the # of gems spent, but requires more than the original number to have any chance of success?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PurpleXVI posted:

What're the maths for globals bumping each other? Is it just straight-up, if more gems are spent, the old Global gets knocked off the peg? Or is there a roll which is weighted based on the # of gems spent, but requires more than the original number to have any chance of success?

When a global is cast and there are no empty global slots, it will attempt to dispel and replace one of the existing global spells. If there is a copy of the same spell already up, it will attempt to replace that. If not, the target will be chosen at random (and there is no protection for any of your own globals you may have up!).

After the target is chosen, it makes a dispel check with the ordinary mechanics; both spells roll a single exploding* D6 + 1 per gem spent beyond the casting cost + 5 per path the caster has beyond what is necessary to cast the spell. The manual doesn't say what happens in a tie because :illwinter:

In ordinary games, the random roll and caster levels can be pretty relevant. In situations like this, it's basically a gem-dumping contest.

*Dominions exploding dice mechanics: whenever a d6 comes up a 6, you roll it again and add the new result -1. This can continue indefinitely.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Does anyone have that graph of the Dominions RNG? drat thing looks like a quilt.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I posted the heat-plot someone made earlier, yeah. With attendant explanation:

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'm having trouble placing the figure on the left, but dude on the right is some caveman or other indie trash mob with a spear critting for 999. Dominions actually does dice rolls for combat actions and has exploding crits, so technically that should be possible on any attack, but uh, the random number generation in Dom 3 wasn't very good, leading to this famous image being created (I think for one of the earlier LP's?):

That nifty-looking pattern you're seeing in the background is a heat-plot of the output pulled from Dom 3's random number generator. As you can tell...it isn't very random, and no consecutive string of critical rolls could ever explode more than, I think it was about six times. 'Exploding' in dice rolls, if you're not aware, is usually re-rolling the die if you get a max roll and adding the results to your total roll until you roll something other than maximum. So, technically, any attack by any level 1 shitfarmer (or goat, or whatever), could paste any cosmic horror in a single strike, provided they made an impossibly long string of good critical rolls. In practice, not only would this be unlikely with random numbers, the RNG of Dom 3 literally didn't allow it. I don't know if that was fixed for this iteration of the game, but lethal, debilitating wounds can still cause giant man-eating Anaconda gods to bleed out from some dude punching them or towering two-story-tall lightning-flinging giants to become feeble-minded and lame from a vicious halfling kick.

The short version is that Dom3 was really sketchy for 'random' numbers, and I don't know whether Dom4 fixed it or not.

E: I should add that while having better pseudo-random numbers would be a nice touch I wouldn't be surprised to learn was in Dom4, in practical terms it really doesn't matter that much. Even the extraordinarily deterministic and patterned output of the Dom3 pseudo-RNG was filtered through player inputs, so generally no one would ever be able to abuse it regardless. The only thing it negatively impacted was creating some situations the devs claimed were possible but were not, and generally those were such mathematically-improbable scenarios that they didn't functionally exist anyways.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 2, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Turn 65 shows why it can be so awkward if you have another nation's borders too close to your capital. Every army movement from your cap looks like a threat to the other guy.

In this case it's even worse because my capital has some bad low-supply provinces to the south, so I have to split my armies into multiple stacks and route them through multiple provinces at once. This is why that army suddenly showed up next to How are u.

And yet, still every second Caelumian army spends a month or two starving on their way to the front. :v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Admittedly, regardless of its original reason for being there, it should be preparing to invade you due to, well, Arcane Nexus. :v:

Also, Man has apparently still not figured out that it doesn't take much effort for them to forge some Staffs of Storms and seriously mitigate the vampire issue. Or, hell, skip the staff and just flat out cast Storm first turn, given the only thing they've needed it for is defensive battles. LA Man has innate A2s and is going to get a decent number of A3s, all they need to do is empower an A3 once and they can do either of the above. The gems should not be a problem at this point in a max site game for a nation with Air on every single one of their mages.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Libluini posted:

Turn 65 shows why it can be so awkward if you have another nation's borders too close to your capital. Every army movement from your cap looks like a threat to the other guy.

In this case it's even worse because my capital has some bad low-supply provinces to the south, so I have to split my armies into multiple stacks and route them through multiple provinces at once. This is why that army suddenly showed up next to How are u.

And yet, still every second Caelumian army spends a month or two starving on their way to the front. :v:

Get some endless bags of wine or something. Granted, supply isn't a huge deal, because starvation recovers as soon as you are in supply, but this way you don't have to worry about morale losses due to lack of supply. I reckon in one of these mo money games, army sizes are bigger, so you will run into supply problems more often.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

Get some endless bags of wine or something. Granted, supply isn't a huge deal, because starvation recovers as soon as you are in supply, but this way you don't have to worry about morale losses due to lack of supply. I reckon in one of these mo money games, army sizes are bigger, so you will run into supply problems more often.

At some point I started forging tons of them, just not enough to deal with my supply problems. Most of Caelum's units are rather cheap, so my army sizes spiralled out of control pretty drat fast.

The really funny thing is right down south below my belt of lovely forest and swamp provinces, there are incredibly fertile lands, capable of sustaining loving huge armies. But to get there, my cap forces have to first break through this retarded hunger belt between Old Caelum and what once was Jomon.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Lord Koth posted:

Also, Man has apparently still not figured out that it doesn't take much effort for them to forge some Staffs of Storms and seriously mitigate the vampire issue. Or, hell, skip the staff and just flat out cast Storm first turn, given the only thing they've needed it for is defensive battles. LA Man has innate A2s and is going to get a decent number of A3s, all they need to do is empower an A3 once and they can do either of the above. The gems should not be a problem at this point in a max site game for a nation with Air on every single one of their mages.

A3s can cast storm with some gems; no empowerment needed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Fucks up his longbowswarm though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Not as bad as an Alpha Strike of vamps does, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

goatface posted:

So do vampire swarms. At this point, Man should be trying to cause as much damage to Gath as possible, out of spite, but it's hard to do versus a dominion push vamp swarm.

• Locked thread