Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

fridge corn posted:

i alway s buy physical copies because i like to arrange then in alphabetical order on my shelf and look at them from time to time

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

I feel like the underpowered complaint only comes into play if we think of the way triple AAA games need all that processing power. The WiiU wasn't matched at all with the PS4 and Xbone (and pretty much a bit weaker than the 360 and the PS3) but it was about utilising that hardware appropriately. Even though there was a real dearth of third party games, Nintendo still released a huge library of real quality exclusive games that worked for its console. Tropical Freeze looked beautiful, Maro Kart 8 was rich as all heck and Mario 3D World is wonderful.

In a world where the PC/PS4/Xbone are interchangable and homogenous, I like the idea of a different console doing it's own thing and working to its own strengths. I'd hope that more publishers try to make cheaper games on the Switch and push the hardware, rather than the overblown, overbudgeted madness that seems to be the norm.

The problem is this is the thing that has been giving Nintendo for awhile. the limitation is fine for Nintendo but in the end will likely lead to another generation of Nintendo console where there is nothing for the console but the first party games. It's another generation where the Nintendo console is something they have to work around rather than something they can include. It's fine for people like us that can just have the Nintendo console supplement what else we have but that's also the type of thing Nintendo have been trying to break free from and I just can't see happening with this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm fine with having a nintendo console for first party games mainly, because I'm seeing whats happening with PSN and I'm concerned about the future of consoles led by Sony and Microsoft

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The biggest problem with getting games on the Wii U was the lack of middleware support, not graphical horsepower. It only supports Unity and UE3 IIRC and there were some real problems with the Unity implementation. From what we know of the Switch so far it seems like it's going to be much better in that way.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

The problem is this is the thing that has been giving Nintendo for awhile. the limitation is fine for Nintendo but in the end will likely lead to another generation of Nintendo console where there is nothing for the console but the first party games. It's another generation where the Nintendo console is something they have to work around rather than something they can include. It's fine for people like us that can just have the Nintendo console supplement what else we have but that's also the type of thing Nintendo have been trying to break free from and I just can't see happening with this.

In a way considering what first party games we got for the WiiU I am completely happy about that.

However, it feels more as though Nintendo is eschewing the console space held by the PS4 and Xbone and attempting to carve away a lot of the ridiculously lucrative mobile market. More so than ever before with the 3DS/DS/Gameboy because people can look at the switch and see a tablet. If Nintendo do bring a lot of tablet esque features to the Switch, combined with playing Nintendo games and some popular mobile games, it could be the thing that rejuvenates their repuation.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well only time will tell. With the amount of hype it's getting it's extremely likely this launch is going to be massive so no matter what this is going to be an initial success. I've just been in a naturally skeptical of Nintendo state for awhile now and very very little of what I'm seeing in the Switch really says this is gonna be the thing they finally get over problems they've been having since the N64

But whatever, the most important question is should I buy a 128gb microsd card for this thing, or spend the extra money for 200gb?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

But whatever, the most important question is should I buy a 128gb microsd card for this thing, or spend the extra money for 200gb?

The price of those cards is only gonna go down, why not wait until you find yourself bumping against the limits of the meagre onboard memory? If you're not planning on getting BotW digitally then you should have some room to play with for a month or two.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

The price of those cards is only gonna go down, why not wait until you find yourself bumping against the limits of the meagre onboard memory?

I don't think it's gonna go down enough while waiting for that. One legit thing the IGN review brought up was that one of the launch games (at least in Japan) is bigger than the internal memory of the whole thing. The price for the these things tends to fluctuate these days more than really change all that much. I'm just the type that would rather just have the space now rather than have it come up when something I want to play comes out just to find I now have to wait two days to ship a card.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VideoGames posted:

In a way considering what first party games we got for the WiiU I am completely happy about that.

However, it feels more as though Nintendo is eschewing the console space held by the PS4 and Xbone and attempting to carve away a lot of the ridiculously lucrative mobile market. More so than ever before with the 3DS/DS/Gameboy because people can look at the switch and see a tablet. If Nintendo do bring a lot of tablet esque features to the Switch, combined with playing Nintendo games and some popular mobile games, it could be the thing that rejuvenates their repuation.

The Wii U's baffling third-party line-up is why we got Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge. Bless you, Wii U.

Blii U.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Regy Rusty posted:

Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qBkWerZDg

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My little sister absolutely loves the WII U. If Nintendo can keep on making awesome 1st party titles, I might get her the switch. But Zelda is just a tad too difficult for her at the moment. Maybe when Splatoon 2 launches.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teB2xkUw3bI

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope some videos of the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild come out today. If even the Switch has occasional crippling frame rate issues, I can't imagine what the Wii U does (or what it has to give up to avoid worse issues).

That said the reason I want to see how the Wii U version looks is because I want to play this game so badly goddamn. Everything about its design looks like exactly what I've wanted out of a Zelda game for years now and in the Easy Allies review I saw that you can get :krad: laser swords and shields which is even better.

I wonder if the creator of Hyper Light Drifter had any idea that his Zelda-like would end up with a really similar setting to the next actual Zelda game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been avoiding videos/reviews etc because I want to go in as blind as possible but IIRC the E3 demos were on Wii U and it looked like it was running pretty well

I mean it was meant to be on Wii U in the first place so I can't imagine any framerate issues being that much worse than on Switch

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've seen people with early copies say the wii u version runs about the same

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In that case I wonder what graphical things it had to give up to maintain its frame rate on the weaker Wii U. Resolution I can live with pretty easily (hell, I played Nioh mostly in 720-900p) but I think I'd be sad about decreased environment detail. One thing I'm enjoying a lot about Horizon is just how lush all the plants and grasses look, and Breath of the Wild (at least on the Switch) seems to have that going on, too, just in a more stylized, primary color way. If the Wii U version has to skimp too much on that I'll probably force myself to wait until I get a Switch just because I'm a massive sucker for "pretty."

Anyway I'm sure Digital Foundry will put out a comparison video today or tomorrow, if nothing else.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Jumping in with both feet after a few days away - my Wife has picked up Horizon, so my first thoughts were wow this is pretty Witcher pretty then it looked like there were no water caustics, it didn't react to her swimming etc and thats really standing out in my mind and rubbing me the wrong way even though its minimal.

How stupid is that bugbear.

Also her Switch comes tomorrow but she said I can't play Zelda until she has but it looks great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

quote:

Fixed bug where games saved in New Game+ mode would become regular saves
Fixed bug where arena stats overwrote story stats if you used the training arena and exited through the classroom door
Fixed bug where it was no longer possible to select non-hero unlocks in Arena mode
Fixed bug where the button used to cycle inventory items did nothing
Fixed bug where joining players could lose control in the menu system (Exit Arena, Exit To Title)
Fixed rendering issues in the Pause Screen menus on macOS

:pray: We're getting there...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blackfyre posted:

Jumping in with both feet after a few days away - my Wife has picked up Horizon, so my first thoughts were wow this is pretty Witcher pretty then it looked like there were no water caustics, it didn't react to her swimming etc and thats really standing out in my mind and rubbing me the wrong way even though its minimal.

How stupid is that bugbear.

Also her Switch comes tomorrow but she said I can't play Zelda until she has but it looks great.

The little things add up. That reminds me of when Steve Gaynor of Fullbright streamed Resident Evil 7 and he spent quite a bit of time having fun just pointing out specular effects on the water and the sparks that formed when you hit a melee weapon on a hard surface and the volumetric lighting.

And when you see a AAA game that has absolutely none of those things like Mass Effect it really stands out

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can't spell Zelda without the letter Z. You also can't spell ZZZ without the letter Z. Makes you think

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't doxx me

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Zelda had absurdly high scores on metacritic right now. the minigame collection? Not so much and looks like Bomberman is just sorta meh or at least not really worth the asking price

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Can't spell Zelda without the letter Z. You also can't spell ZZZ without the letter Z. Makes you think

w-what about jizz

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Help Im Alive posted:

w-what about jizz

Well, zzz sometimes follows that so.....

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wamdoodle posted:

Well, zzz sometimes follows that so.....

See there you go

*claps hands together*

boom

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zelda had absurdly high scores on metacritic right now. the minigame collection? Not so much and looks like Bomberman is just sorta meh or at least not really worth the asking price

I'm just gonna buy it for wii u

Well I'm not sure I could find a switch at this point anyway, didn't they sell out everywhere

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

I'm just gonna buy it for wii u

Well I'm not sure I could find a switch at this point anyway, didn't they sell out everywhere

Supposedly, some GameStops and I think Best Buys will have Switches on launch day for people who didn't preorder, but I'd guess they're going to sell out really quickly in most places, so I wouldn't bank on getting a Switch any time soon.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Reviewers know what happens when they rate zelda games low. its also a hard game and they dont want to seem like it was too hard for them.

It deserves good scores im sure, but the odd rear end in a top hat review that lowers the average is gonna think twice about calling down months of death threats on themselves

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't think reviewers have really forgotten how much Nintendo fanboys flipped over that (honestly accurate) 8.8. All the reviews need to be taken with a heap of salt but even taking that in consideration they are incredibly high with some calling it the best game ever made

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm going to assume Zelda is a better open-world game than Horizon and I'm probably not getting a Switch anytime soon

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Easy Allies on Youtube is my favorite place to get reviews. They were formally GameTrailers. They gave Breath of the Wild on Switch a 4.5/5 with their only complaint being the real bad frame rate issues that they said they encountered throughout the entire 60 hours they played. They liked the survival mechanics, weapon durability, difficulty, dungeons, and graphics.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
:woop: Just got a platinum trophy, though it feels sort of empty because it was a really easy platinum, though at least I'm not one of those people that bought the game just because it was an easy plat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I'm going to assume Zelda is a better open-world game than Horizon and I'm probably not getting a Switch anytime soon

Zelda does have a lot in common with Horizon structurally, from what I can tell (and, by extension, with *gasp* Ubisoft open-world games), right down to climbing towers to scout out areas of your map. Of course, Zelda was already doing a lot of the things that are now considered "standard" open-world things long before they became standard, like mini-dungeons that you do for upgrades and multiple types of collectibles scattered everywhere, and those are definitely still around.

It's just that it also looks like Zelda gives you a huge amount of ways to interact with that open world that look like a whole lot of fun, not to mention the whole thing looks pretty staggeringly huge. I'd guess that the sheer amount of ways to interact with the world helps make it feel like a more unique and adventurous experience than other recent open-world games.

I said come in! posted:

Easy Allies on Youtube is my favorite place to get reviews. They were formally GameTrailers. They gave Breath of the Wild on Switch a 4.5/5 with their only complaint being the real bad frame rate issues that they said they encountered throughout the entire 60 hours they played. They liked the survival mechanics, weapon durability, difficulty, dungeons, and graphics.

Yeah, Easy Allies is great and their reviews are quality. They were the first thing I ever supported on Patreon, actually.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

:woop: Just got a platinum trophy, though it feels sort of empty because it was a really easy platinum, though at least I'm not one of those people that bought the game just because it was an easy plat.

Which game? As long as you had fun it doesn't matter :)

I said come in! posted:

Oh dang, I didn't realize they were formally Gametrailers. Gonna have to check them out.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Wamdoodle posted:

Which game? As long as you had fun it doesn't matter :)

The Bunker. I bought it this week because it was on sale and I have a fondness for FMV games. It was alright. Nothing amazing but I don't feel ripped off either. Probably the quickest I've gone from buying a game to platting it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Bunker. I bought it this week because it was on sale and I have a fondness for FMV games. It was alright. Nothing amazing but I don't feel ripped off either. Probably the quickest I've gone from buying a game to platting it.

:cool: The only game I can think of that people probably bought soley just for cheivos was the first (I think?) Avatar game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1_v2-_kXQ8

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

Yeah, Easy Allies is great and their reviews are quality. They were the first thing I ever supported on Patreon, actually.

I like the content of their reviews but i find the scores dont line up very well. When a game is bad they still give it a 3. I have to look but im not sure they've given a 2 or 1 yet at all.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, it'd gonna be weird to start up Zelda and then put it to the side but even if it is exactly as good as all the hype says it is, Nier 2 takes priority.

Also, Best Buy is saying my Switch order is ready for Pickup, this is probably just an error but I will call to make sure.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It would be really cool if we stopped this review score nonsense altogether imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

It would be really cool if we stopped this review score nonsense altogether imo

:yeah:
:same:
:agreed:
:hai:

• Locked thread