Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm going to point out, since Cluney didn't, that The World of Millennium Blades art book also just came out to backers. I mention this because it includes Duel Questers, a short RPG written by Cluney set in the Millennium Blades universe. (You still need a copy of Millennium Blades itself to play it, of course.)

Are there any plans to make the book available to non-backers? The more I learn about this game, the sadder I am I didn't hear about it sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

• Battletech: occasionally also called "Classic Battletech" or "Total Warfare" rules. This is the tabletop wargame with hexes, minis (or cardboard standouts/chits), foam terrain, buildings, LoS, locational damage, heat management, etc.
  • Mechwarrior/"Classic Battletech RPG": the older version of the pen-and-paper RPG set within the Battletech universe. I have no personal experience with it, but a lot of people seem to regard it as better than the current offering -- who knows though, could be subjective. Most people supplement these RPG rules with the above tabletop wargame rules when doing combat, similar to how some people hack FFG Star Wars to use the X-Wing miniatures game for space combat. This is what is in the Bundle, along with a bunch of really old FASA sourcebooks.
  • Battletech: A Time of War: the current edition of the pen-and-paper RPG, which went through yet another renaming. Can slot easily into the tabletop wargame rules a la carte, or can be run standalone. Generally a love-it-or-hate-it thing, it seems.

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 1, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They had to keep renaming it because when FASA went under the new publishers didn't want any confusion with the Mechwarrior clix game, then again because they rebranded Classic Battletech because everybody hated the post timeskip stuff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This guy's badass

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Drone posted:

The core of Battletech (and the most recent version of the RPG, called A Time of War -- not sure about the older Mechwarrior versions) is a "simple" 2d6 mechanic versus a TN (with modifiers applied either to the roll result or to the TN depending on which game you're playing). So in that respect, it is "simple". However, the sheer amount of modifiers and rules makes it seem stupidly daunting.
This sounds a lot like what scared me off Traveller, where everything involving your character is dirt simple 2d6 rolls, but everything involving a spaceship or a piece of gear is insanely complex and virtual-physics-engine based.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Agent Rush posted:

Are there any plans to make the book available to non-backers? The more I learn about this game, the sadder I am I didn't hear about it sooner.

No idea, honestly! I know Set Rotation is up for pre-orders but I don't see the book in the store.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm going to point out, since Cluney didn't, that The World of Millennium Blades art book also just came out to backers. I mention this because it includes Duel Questers, a short RPG written by Cluney set in the Millennium Blades universe. (You still need a copy of Millennium Blades itself to play it, of course.)

Is it a roleplaying game about playing roleplaying games?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

LongDarkNight posted:

Is it a roleplaying game about playing roleplaying games?

A roleplaying game about playing a ridiculous world-impacting CCG (it defeated an alien invasion), so like Yu-Gi-Oh and their ilk.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Wait so the artbook for the board game about playing a fake card game includes a roleplaying game set in the promotional anime of the fake card game, which requires the aforementioned board game?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, I'm sold.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Siivola posted:

Wait so the artbook for the board game about playing a fake card game includes a roleplaying game set in the promotional anime of the fake card game, which requires the aforementioned board game?

Close enough!

I'd like to run it (along with a dozen other things, mind) but my current group skews a bit old for it and running it online seems impractical. Not impossible, but impractical.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Ever notice there isn't a lot of settings based on Greek mythology despite that being the cornerstone of western civilization's culture and a shared touch stones for most western nations?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Covok posted:

Ever notice there isn't a lot of settings based on Greek mythology despite that being the cornerstone of western civilization's culture and a shared touch stones for most western nations?

There was a lot of implicit support for Greek mythology-based campaigns in earlier editions of D&D. The second edition Monster Manual in particular is, like, 1/3 Greek mythological monsters by volume.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'll make a game based on the Odyssey.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

*takes deep hit from pipe* Blame Cultural Maxism.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm playing a greek mythology inspired Pokemon Tabletop United game as a Scythian mounted archer girl who rides a skiddo and an onix.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
OD&D also supports a Clash of the Titans campaign insofar as your stats are so scant, the magic crap you find is a big part of your character. You'll probably have to do something about the high mortality rate and using hirelings as expendable resources to stave off death, though.

Plutonis posted:

I love to shoot Hitler in the face but people cynically trying to profit on the Culture War going on are the lowest of the low.
I didn't know what this was about but I just got back from Philadelphia. Literally every ad in every public space there is "We don't support putting minorities in concentration camps, so give us your money."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Plutonis posted:

I'm playing a greek mythology inspired Pokemon Tabletop United game as a Scythian mounted archer girl who rides a skiddo and an onix.

This is ridiculous, Skiddo are much too small to ride.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Countblanc posted:

Edit: gently caress, beaten.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Not canon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
*in extremely monty python voice* A 31 kg baby goat could not support the weight of a human strong enough to draw a bow effectively!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The best part is that both of you had those images already and were good to go.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Putting pokemon to use in a practical way? That's just crazy talk.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So if the Romans used flaming pigs*, what about sending flaming pikachu against the barbarians?

* I'm taking this from Rome Total War I, don't judge me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

So if the Romans used flaming pigs*, what about sending flaming pikachu against the barbarians?

there are already pokemon actually made of fire, setting pikachus on fire is just wanton cruelty

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The hard part of pokemon warfare is instilling a love for king and country in the pokemon

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
How many Magnetons does one have to detonate together for a military-grade electromagnetic pulse?

Asking for a friend.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
How many Weezings do I have to throw in a centrifuge to get VX gas?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Covok posted:

Excuse me but the cornerstone of this entire hobby is built on that mythology. :colbert:

http://mazesandminotaurs.free.fr/

Edit: Also, a couple of years back Wizards introduced the plane of Theros in MTG. You can read about it in their Planeswalker's Guide articles (parts 1, 2 and 3) and in a duology of bad ebook novellas.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 1, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

No idea, honestly! I know Set Rotation is up for pre-orders but I don't see the book in the store.

Set Rotation is out now, isn't it? At least, I've got my copy of it and the base game. I pre/back-ordered them from the store and never knew about an art book until you mentioned it.

I really hope they at least make a digital version available, I'd love to see Duel Questers and have the art collected in one place. :(

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Lichtenstein posted:

How many Magnetons does one have to detonate together for a military-grade electromagnetic pulse?

Asking for a friend.

That would cost a lot of TMs. Surely it'd be easier to use Electrodes who learn Explosion on level-up?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
TMs are infinite use these days. Technology is truly amazing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

Best one of those is Mazes & Minotaurs, both for quality reasons and because it's free

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Since people were asking I emailed Brad Talton and he said the Millennium Blades art book should be going up for sale on Friday. :)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Codex Alera, the rpg, but better

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Ewen Cluney posted:

Since people were asking I emailed Brad Talton and he said the Millennium Blades art book should be going up for sale on Friday. :)

Thank you, that's great news!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Kwyndig posted:

They had to keep renaming it because when FASA went under the new publishers didn't want any confusion with the Mechwarrior clix game, then again because they rebranded Classic Battletech because everybody hated the post timeskip stuff.

Also made for annoying google searches where you'd get results for cognitive behavioral therapy and cock and ball torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Cassa posted:

Peeps are talking about the Microscope game, any games that do a similar thing but more specifically cover the march of time? I kinda think I'm thinking of A Quiet Year, but might be wrong.

Kingdom, a later game by the same author, happens in linear time.

You might also want to have a look at Questlandia or Downfall.

• Locked thread