Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Walrus posted:

aw.

here's some very minor spoilery impressions from my first three or four hours with the game. I've tried to focus on the negatives, as they definitely do exist, even if this appears to be game of the decade.

That's all I've got for now but if anyone has any questions about the early game I'd be happy to answer.

Good v light spoilers thanks for sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ymgve posted:

One thing I'm a bit worried about is open-world fatigue - with such a large game, I might just never get around to actually finish it.

Speak for yourself! :D

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
So does this just straight up not show up on the eShop for everyone else? I don't even see it there.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah its really weird they don't have their biggest game for sale rn...what kind of business logic is that, losing your largest profit margin

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

bef posted:

Yeah its really weird they don't have their biggest game for sale rn...what kind of business logic is that, losing your largest profit margin

I mean, is there a single person who is going to say "I can't buy the game before it's released? Now I'm NEVER buying it!"

The answer is no.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
But they will go and get whatever physical copy there is instead

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't know if anyone is far enough to know this yet, but I'm okay being spoiled on this aspect of the gameplay (though ideally not story): how is the Master Sword handled in this?

Do you get to wield it at all? Is it only available in certain fights? Does it have durability? I'm really curious how something like that works in a system designed around mostly-disposable weapons.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

bef posted:

But they will go and get whatever physical copy there is instead

You can't get a physical copy of a game that isn't released yet.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
...for less $$ than they could make from eshop dl!

Nice quick edit /\ /\

bef fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 2, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Harrow posted:

I don't know if anyone is far enough to know this yet, but I'm okay being spoiled on this aspect of the gameplay (though ideally not story): how is the Master Sword handled in this?

Do you get to wield it at all? Is it only available in certain fights? Does it have durability? I'm really curious how something like that works in a system designed around mostly-disposable weapons.

I will answer this for you. Actual spoilers and stuff.

You find it in the world in the lost woods I believe. If you don't have a certain amount of hearts you straight up die when you unsheath it. I don't know how many hearts you need.

With respect to durability. I'm pretty sure it doesn't break. It does have a cooldown though. You can use it a few times and then you have to wait a little while before you can use it again. There are ways to lower how many hearts you need to use it but that's story spoilers and stuff.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 2, 2017

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Harrow posted:

From what I've seen so far:
Yeah and it seems like you can find it at different times? No it looks like you can use it whenever, but it does have durability and it seems like it regens itself. No idea about the rate or how it compares to late game weapons or anything

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Shoehead posted:

From what I've seen so far:
Yeah and it seems like you can find it at different times?

I was under the impression you can go right to it but die trying to use it.

Also there's a youtube of all the boss battles including the final boss and ending.

And yes I've watched it. I feel whole. I feel like I'm operating on another spiritual level.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I'm excited for BotW, I'm excited for its upcoming DLC, I'm excited for the Switch-only sequel that will hopefully follow in the vein of Majora's Mask after Ocarina of Time, and I'm excited for all of the future games that will be inspired by Breath of the Wild's success.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Crap I forgot about this does the Wii U 32GB model have enough internal storage to download and install the digital version of the game?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's 9 gig, I believe.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Funny how ive been saying this will be the greatest game of all time since we saw it at E3, and it turns out I was right

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

havenwaters posted:

I will answer this for you. Actual spoilers and stuff.

You find it in the world in the lost woods I believe. If you don't have a certain amount of hearts you straight up die when you unsheath it. I don't know how many hearts you need.

With respect to durability. I'm pretty sure it doesn't break. It does have a cooldown though. You can use it a few times and then you have to wait a little while before you can use it again. There are ways to lower how many hearts you need to use it but that's story spoilers and stuff.

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

I actually guessed that was one of the possibilities for how it'd work--that it'd either have a cooldown or be repairable. The cooldown seems a lot less annoying than having to manually repair it, which is good. I'd assume that as you go you'll power it up so that you can use it more times before triggering the cooldown?

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

The reviews look good but I have a obsessive hatred of weapons and armor that permanently break so I wonder if that would be enough for me not to enjoy it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Grimes posted:

The reviews look good but I have a obsessive hatred of weapons and armor that permanently break so I wonder if that would be enough for me not to enjoy it.

The armor is supposedly indestructible, and the weapons are all pretty disposable. There's systems built in to kinda work around that stuff, too, like if your current weapon only has one more hit left in it, then you might as well throw it at the enemy, which does double damage.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Waffleman_ posted:

It's 9 gig, I believe.

Wow. How were they able to fit all of that into only 9GB?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Harrow posted:

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

I actually guessed that was one of the possibilities for how it'd work--that it'd either have a cooldown or be repairable. The cooldown seems a lot less annoying than having to manually repair it, which is good. I'd assume that as you go you'll power it up so that you can use it more times before triggering the cooldown?

Not sure on that front. I do know that in the presence of "malice" the sword detects evil and you just straight up ignore the cooldown and it doubles in power. Not sure what count as "malice" though. Think it's more areas in the game and not enemies.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So how are people buying this game? Because Nintendo as per tradition seems to be making it a confusing hassle.

No pre-load, doesn't show up in the Wii U store and Amazon only has "codes" for sale but who knows when you'll get it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You either physically buy it when it's released, or you buy it digitally when it's released.

Alternatively, you may have pre-ordered it from one of the many retailers that offer this service.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grimes posted:

Armor doesn't break. Weapons are generally supposed to be scavenged and you can steal enemy weapons (or, in some cases, use their body parts) in-combat.

I haven't played yet, but I think the weapon durability system is probably about as good as a durability system is going to get. Unlike in Dark Souls, you don't invest resources into upgrading weapons or upgrading your stats so that you're better with some types of weapons than others. It's set up so that you can safely treat most weapons as entirely disposable and live as a scavenger, which I think is pretty cool. I figure you either have to go all-in on something like that or not have durability at all, y'know?

havenwaters posted:

Not sure on that front. I do know that in the presence of "malice" the sword detects evil and you just straight up ignore the cooldown and it doubles in power. Not sure what count as "malice" though. Think it's more areas in the game and not enemies.

Oh, that's pretty cool, too. That gives them an easy way for it to, I assume, have infinite usage against Calamity Ganon.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Grimes posted:

Apparently only the weapons and shields break. Armor and outfits are forever.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I hope I can wear a bright pink kimono

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Things you could do that are more worth your time than watching a Digital Foundry video about performance numbers:

° Clean the kitchen
° Read a book
° Learn to program
° Learn a new recipe
° Go outside
° Draw a picture
° Play a video game
° Smoke weed
° Cut off your dick

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Gorgolflox posted:

I hope I can wear a bright pink kimono

I hope Toon Link amiibo gives you the cheerleader uniform.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If I live a half hour from an Amazon Fulfillment Center, is there any chance I get my Switch today if it was shipped this morning?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ComposerGuy posted:

Apparently only the weapons and shields break. Armor and outfits are forever.

Fashion Souls Zelda confirmed?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If you're Prime and in one of those cities that has two hour deliver maybe. It's still gotta go through the postal system otherwise.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I wasn't really planning on getting BotW, but now I'm getting caught up on the excitement. I pre-ordered the game and a bunch of amiibos. Can't wait for tomorrow! :woop:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now I just have to decide if I want to either wait until I can get a Switch, or buy it for the Wii U and probably get a Pro Controller with it (yes, I am a shameful Wii U owner who still only has the Wii U pad thing and I don't really know why!). At this point it's probably down to a tug of war between my excitement for Breath of the Wild and Nier: Automata, factoring in how long it'll take to get a Switch.

Then again, if it's a month from now, that's when Persona 5 comes out, so that tips the scales again. Oh jeez :ohdear:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just watched part of the Giantbomb quicklook and curiously it seems like you have unlimited bombs, which is a bit of an odd thing when weapons break so quickly. Guess you can go around bombing everything if you want to save durability.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ymgve posted:

Just watched part of the Giantbomb quicklook and curiously it seems like you have unlimited bombs, which is a bit of an odd thing when weapons break so quickly. Guess you can go around bombing everything if you want to save durability.

Enemies can be smart enough to kick them back at you, among other things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ymgve posted:

Yeah, that's similar to Link Between Worlds, where bombs and arrows draw from your energy meter rather than having actual ammo counts. I think bombs just have a cooldown in Breath of the Wild instead.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Hey, so the Switch thread is stupid so I'm asking here: When using the li'l cradle for the joycons while the Switch is docked, how long is the battery life of the joycons? I know 3 hours it he limit for the Switch itself as a handheld (which is fine), but I'll be marathoning this game most likely, so 3 hours seems short.

Additionally, is there a way to charge the joycons as I play, or do I need to buy those special charging cradles that are super expensive?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You gotta use the charging cradle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

Hey, so the Switch thread is stupid so I'm asking here: When using the li'l cradle for the joycons while the Switch is docked, how long is the battery life of the joycons? I know 3 hours it he limit for the Switch itself as a handheld (which is fine), but I'll be marathoning this game most likely, so 3 hours seems short.

Nintendo claims 20 hours for joycon battery life, and Digital Foundry I think said it was close to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Given this is the last WiiU game and probably the only WiiU related active thread, whats the best choice for a Wii U pro controller? Any good 3rd party ones or is the official Nintendo brand one worth the extra $?