Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

I prefer the approach of places like RPS, Kotaku and Waypoint where there is no score, just a review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A while ago Eurogamer switched to giving out Essential/Recommended/Avoid and just the review text if the game didn't merit any of those.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I like buy/wait/avoid but it still doesnt capture those games where its a 10 for genre fans and a hard pass for everyone else. The only winning move is not to play

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I like the content of their reviews but i find the scores dont line up very well. When a game is bad they still give it a 3. I have to look but im not sure they've given a 2 or 1 yet at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if their scores are somewhat inflated. I think they try for objectivity but they're all really enthusiastic about what they like. And they generally seem to give review duties to reviewers who really like that genre or series, so there's probably a baseline enthusiasm factor boosting the review scores. I think they're an outlet that would benefit from ditching numerical scores entirely.

haveblue posted:

A while ago Eurogamer switched to giving out Essential/Recommended/Avoid and just the review text if the game didn't merit any of those.

Yeah, I'm a fan of that approach. It still leads to basically the same backlash as unfavorable/too favorable review scores (like, the comments on the Horizon review, which is just the text with no recommendation, weren't pretty) but I think it allows for a little more nuance than a numerical score does.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

five point review systems are a sin

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I'm a fan of that approach. It still leads to basically the same backlash as unfavorable/too favorable review scores (like, the comments on the Horizon review, which is just the text with no recommendation, weren't pretty) but I think it allows for a little more nuance than a numerical score does.

I find it makes me re-read the article and figure out what the score would be, in a good, critical thinking way.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Can't wait to play Darksiders 3: Breath of the Wild

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hopefully we reach a point where you can just put on a thing to scan your brain to accurately calculate if you'd like x game/movie/album

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean I guess it'd always just say 'yeah' to boost sales but w/e

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm approaching the end of my time with DQ8 on the 3DS and kind of want to replay Link Between Worlds but can't decide if I really want to do the Hero Mode thing where everything kills you in one or two hits

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think I've read or cared about a review since I've had good enough internet to just watch videos.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

apparently the Switch still has Friend Codes as an option in addition to searching via username or adding your Twitter/Facebook friends

they'll never die

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean I guess it'd always just say 'yeah' to boost sales but w/e

I mean, this technology would pretty much allow products to also stimulate your brain in whatever way will make you enjoy it, right? Like if your entertainment system can tell if it's working, it's just going to push your pleasure receptors until your subscription runs out, or your brain breaks and you can't enjoy anything anymore.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Just use drugs, kids.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

I mean, this technology would pretty much allow products to also stimulate your brain in whatever way will make you enjoy it, right? Like if your entertainment system can tell if it's working, it's just going to push your pleasure receptors until your subscription runs out, or your brain breaks and you can't enjoy anything anymore.

I would be ok with all of this

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I would be ok with all of this

In the future, there will be only one entertainment service. Feed Subscription. When in use, the Feed will adapt to your brain activity to provide optimum entertainment. Dynamically changing to be passive, interactive, solo, or multi-user experience, the Feed will maintain a state of escapist euphoria for the user.
May be subject to terms and restrictions. Premium Plans required to access Feed outside of scheduled hours. Usages times subject to curfew and employment schedules. Subscription requires a finance stream of continuous micropayments. Disconnection of this payment stream will result in immediate termination of service. Fees and penalties may apply.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Can't wait for future online gamers to inject insults directly into my brain.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

five point review systems are a sin

Why do you single out five-point systems? What makes them worse than ten- or twenty-point systems?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

because they're a sin

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ekster posted:

This will only happen if Feed Analysis determines that you will enjoy it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ekster posted:

In the future, when a 12-year-old calls you a "cock-chewing shitbird," your brain will make you believe you are a cock-chewing shitbird. It's all very immersive.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

Why do you single out five-point systems? What makes them worse than ten- or twenty-point systems?

The more points the more better

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

five point review systems are like using celsius over farenheit for weather

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

Objectively better???

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

4 stars

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

Absolutely better?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

better, in the eyes of Satan

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Video games grade me on a point system that goes into the millions and only has a technical limit, why should I limit their potential to only 10 numbers?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

better, in the eyes of Satan

Hail Satan then.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

tap my mountain posted:

Video games grade me on a point system that goes into the millions and only has a technical limit, why should I limit their potential to only 10 numbers?
i do think review grades would be better if they included S-Rank

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i will never hail satan

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hail satan

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

how about i hail him a cab, to the garbage can where he belongs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

how about i hail him a cab, to the garbage can where he belongs

What is your problem with Satan, oddium?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mr satan saved us all. Hes earths greatest warrior

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
How hard is it to get a switch. do I have to stand outside of nobody beats the wiz for six hours?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Turns out they were very beatable

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cheekio posted:

How hard is it to get a switch. do I have to stand outside of nobody beats the wiz for six hours?

You can't get one, you will be waiting a few weeks probably.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

i do think review grades would be better if they included S-Rank

Only the best games will earn the coveted Shiny Platinum rank

*little statue of Jeff Gerstmann lounging on a sofa spins around on results screen*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm buying Puyo Puyo Tetris and playing it with my friend, Anime Satan

• Locked thread