Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
The mega rich have a long history of undue influence over government policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Toadvine posted:

The mega rich have a long history of undue influence over government policy

No way dude, that's crazy. Not Obama. He was pure, like an angel.

And Russia fills the void of State Actor that is nemesis. If you try to think of a reasonably scary Nation State that's not connected to our banks, that isn't actually a threat of all, Russia is the perfect bogey man

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
through the spunky transformation, "these two particular rich dudes probably did not touch balls" becomes "obama is an angelic being capable of no wrong"

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
You guys split hairs over the stupidest things. Okay, what Branson didn't influence Obama? Then some other rich dude did? Whatever, I'm not trying to build a prosecution case, its a general example of rich + politicians = loving me

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Spunky has more patience for men that jerk off to him in public restrooms than he does for obama

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Do onto others as they do unto u

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

a bone to pick posted:

oh boy looks like sessions contacted a Russian ambassador, could this be the scandal that fucks Trump? Stay tuned for more info on the Mord & Spunky show later today.

I simply adore that the left is still treating contact with another country (an embassador no less) as a mortal sin.

Kjoery posted:

the frog people are so good. i love the frog people

nope, still not a thing

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Fog Tripper posted:

I simply adore that the left is still treating contact with another country (an embassador no less) as a mortal sin.

When their goddess Hillary has millions from foreign governments and there were 4 foreign state actors rummaging around her bathroom server on a regular basis

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

isn't it more that he didn't mention it at the confirmation hearing tho

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

IIRC, when asked if he spoke with the russians concerning the election, he said he never spoke with russian folks concerning the election.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You guys split hairs over the stupidest things. Okay, what Branson didn't influence Obama? Then some other rich dude did? Whatever, I'm not trying to build a prosecution case, its a general example of rich + politicians = loving me

Wow, money in politics. We should do something about this.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh.

I feel like I don't really care that much and it is starting to feel like people are trying to construct some massive conspiracy theory about the scary Russians who have some mysterious hold over all these officials in the same vein that people were talking about Obama being a secret Muslim terrorist agent. Specially prosecute my rear end in a top hat.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
China, Israel and Saudi Arabia, no problem putting puppet hands up our government's rear end.

Russia talks to someone once in a while and it's treason

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Extra Large Marge posted:

There was this one dude who seemed serious about taking money out of politics. He had a good chance of winning the presidential election but his party hosed him over in favor of someone who used their position of power to enrich themselves. Oh well. Now we're stuck will Trump who is hosed and will be impeached and thrown into a pit of dookie probably by this weekend.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
We're swimming in so much Saudi Prince semen it is unreal.

Just wait like 10-15 years until all the orphans in Yemen bombed by US munitions we keep selling to the Saudis grow old enough to be able to try and bomb us.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Moridin920 posted:

It's not that he didn't mention it, he went out of his way to commit perjury. Why?

quote:

SEN. AL FRANKEN: "If there was any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this (2016) campaign, what would you do?," the Minnesota Democrat asked.
SESSIONS: "I'm not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians."
DATE: January 10
He basically got asked "If evidence came about that Trump's campaign stole 30 cakes what would you do as AG?" and his response was "I NEVER STOLE ANY CAKES!"

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Moridin920 posted:

We're swimming in so much Saudi Prince semen it is unreal.

Just wait like 10-15 years until all the orphans in Yemen bombed by US munitions we keep selling to the Saudis grow old enough to be able to try and bomb us.

if these yemeni guys are going to bomb the US and not saudi arabia then lol at them

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

I don't understand, I thought the alt-right liked being called the alt-right? Like it was their thing, they were to the right wing of politics but an alternative to the traditional GOP? I swear I've seen people describe themselves as alt-right before.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Tiny Deer posted:

I don't understand, I thought the alt-right liked being called the alt-right? Like it was their thing, they were to the right wing of politics but an alternative to the traditional GOP? I swear I've seen people describe themselves as alt-right before.
But those people are violating the first two rules of fight club.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if these yemeni guys are going to bomb the US and not saudi arabia then lol at them

why not both

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Tiny Deer posted:

I think real alt-righters do. It just that people like to lump all conservatives in with alt-right. To many people alt-right means anyone who is right of center who uses the Internet.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
tormp bad

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Extra Large Marge posted:

Unless it's Republicans doing it then it's okay

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Knight posted:

It's not that he didn't mention it, he went out of his way to commit perjury. Why?

It depends on what your definition of "is" is. :smug:

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

King Vidiot posted:

Unless it's Republicans doing it then it's okay

Woah now I gotta disagree with you there buddy

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Krustic posted:

I think real alt-righters do. It just that people like to lump all conservatives in with alt-right. To many people alt-right means anyone who is right of center who uses the Internet.

for a bunch of people who believe in strict gender roles and masculinity conservatives have the thinnest loving skins

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Maybe it's a hipster thing? Alt-right has gone mainstream, so it's not cool anymore?

That somehow feels really plausible to me.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

for a bunch of people who believe in strict gender roles and masculinity conservatives have the thinnest loving skins

I don't get it, you think they should be happy to be compared to Nazis and white nationalist racists etc.?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

a bone to pick posted:

I don't get it, you think they should be happy to be compared to Nazis and white nationalist racists etc.?

No it's more like they're very scared and insecure, so they poo poo on other people to make themselves feel better.

Except it just betrays how insecure and scared they really are.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Tiny Deer posted:

So, the confusion here is that you're dealing with a depreciated version of the movement. Originally, they were indeed a fringe element of the GOP that was predominantly fed by outlets like Breitbart. I mentioned this before, but at the same time on 4chan, reddit, and youtube there was a big #gamergate trolling movement, and it was fairly popular, but the well was running dry. At some point, the alt-right platform began proliferating through this group, and become popular, leading to the birth of the /pol/ we know today, a Frankenstein's monster of the original fringe movements ideals, #gamergate's trolling strategies (ex: fight club rules) and anti-feminism. A bunch of old-guard members of the movement tried to resist this frogification, but it was fairly (and hilariously) futile.

The frogification then spread to the reddit and youtube communities, leading to other similar, but unique varieties of our green-skinned friend.

So yeah, because the original platform has spread so widely, there's obviously significant variation, but a lot of the artefacts of the original 4chan frogs hold true.

crime weed fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 2, 2017

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Kjoery posted:

So, the confusion here is that you're dealing with a depreciated version of the movement. Originally, they were indeed a fringe element of the GOP that was predominantly fed by outlets like Breitbart. I mentioned this before, but at the same time on 4chan, reddit, and youtube there was a big #gamergate trolling movement, and it was fairly popular, but the well was running dry. At some point, the alt-right platform began proliferating through this group, and become popular, leading to the birth of the /pol/ we know today, a Frankenstein's monster of the original fringe movements ideals, and #gamergate's trolling strategies (ex: fight club rules) and anti-feminism. A bunch of old-guard members of the movement tried to resist this frogification, but it was fairly (and hilariously) futile.

The frogification then spread to the reddit and youtube communities, leading to other similar, but unique varieties of our green-skinned friend.

So yeah, because the original platform has spread so widely, there's obviously significant variation, but a lot of the artefacts of the original 4chan frogs hold true.

/pol/ isn't real, it's a boogey man made up by the left according to Fog Tipper.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Mordor She Wrote posted:

/pol/ isn't real, it's a boogey man made up by the left according to Fog Tipper.
frog tripper*

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
please do not trip frogs

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
At a certain point people on the left decided to take every troll post on the internet seriously by tattling on them to a largely uncaring public and somehow that didn't work out for them like they thought it would.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mordor She Wrote posted:

uh it's right here http://boards.4chan.org/pol/

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

False flag, man....

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
People called me mean names on Twitter. I'm basically the Rosa Parks of my generation.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Tiny Deer posted:

Maybe it's a hipster thing? Alt-right has gone mainstream, so it's not cool anymore?

That somehow feels really plausible to me.

Nah not really. It's kinda like how I work with several classic liberals who dislike being lumped in with the rainbow hair, communist, SJW, burn it all down terrorism is fine cause as long as the cause is just types. I wouldn't suggest that all or even most liberals fall into this camp but I could be wrong.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
*sips starcucks mocha cuckaccino*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Knight posted:

He basically got asked "If evidence came about that Trump's campaign stole 30 cakes what would you do as AG?" and his response was "I NEVER STOLE ANY CAKES!"

Have you read the full quote? It changes the context.

Franken: CNN just published a story alleging that the intelligence community provided documents to the president-elect last week, that included information that "Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information about Mr. Trump." These documents also allegedly say "there was a continuing exchange of information during the campaign between Trump surrogates and intermediaries for the Russian government." Again, I'm telling you this as it's coming out, so you know. But if it's true, it's obviously extremely serious, and if there is any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this campaign, what will you do?"

Sessions: "Senator Franken, I'm not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communicataions with the Russians, and I'm unable to comment on it."

• Locked thread