Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

apple will only do a curved screen if it looks correct

not in timb's apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

apple will only do a curved screen if it looks correct, aside from the new models being too big they havent hosed up the iphone formfactor yet

yes, aside from loving up the formfactor, they haven't hosed up the formfactor.

i anticipate this trend will continue with curved glass, no bezel, and no physical buttons

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

apple will only do a curved screen if it looks correct

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

do newer iphones still have the ipod car integration? not carplay. i've got an old ipod nano that just sits in my car plugged in and the head unit pulls in playlists and artist lists better than android or aux in, and the ipod is like 8 years old now

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
dongles are useful

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hifi posted:

do newer iphones still have the ipod car integration? not carplay. i've got an old ipod nano that just sits in my car plugged in and the head unit pulls in playlists and artist lists better than android or aux in, and the ipod is like 8 years old now
the pro move is to get a proclip and use siri/the iphone interface mounted next to ur steering wheel or on a vent

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Sniep posted:

i don't get what's wrong with this

this would be incredibly actually useful for large segments of the worlds population

it would move more iphones in china than anything else they could do

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hifi posted:

yeah, my old head unit worked by bluetooth or usb and they both worked identically (other than having to plug one in, obvs)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i just had that call screen where there's not button to hang up a call with, what the loving poo poo, timb

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
didn't you hear, apple is phasing out buttons in favor of randomly mashing the screen with your thumb

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i know they really want a competitor to amazon echo and google's virtual assistant, but replacing buttons with yelling at your phone is not the way

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 9, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ufarn posted:

i just had that call screen where there's not button to hang up a call with, what the loving poo poo, timb

if the phone is locked press the call time to get the rest of the controls to show up. dumb rear end hell but that's how you do it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Perplx posted:

it would move more iphones in china than anything else they could do

its hard to believe that we still have physical sim cards like some sort of cavemen but i guess virtual ones get a ton of carrier resistance because they dont want to give up their bullshit $50 sim card activation fees

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

poty posted:

its hard to believe that we still have physical sim cards like some sort of cavemen but i guess virtual ones get a ton of carrier resistance because they dont want to give up their bullshit $50 sim card activation fees

physical sim cards are good security, virtual ones are a very bad idea

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

poty posted:

it's more that they want to control every device on their network

I don't think sim activation fees are a thing anymore are they?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i've never paid a sim activation fee

i changed carriers this week. they sent me new sim, it worked immediately and within 3 hours my old number was working on new network. sweet as gently caress my dear prince

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i've never paid a sim activation fee

i changed carriers this week. they sent me new sim, it worked immediately and within 3 hours my old number was working on new network. sweet as gently caress my dear prince

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I carved the microsim that came in my 4 into a nanosim to fit it into my 5S.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sweet
as
gently caress

you loser

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

caveman telephony

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

ten years on, i'm still on the same card, artisanaly crafted over the years from mini to micro to nano

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
why didn't you say you hacked it

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

don't simshame

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I tried cutting down a sim card once and it short circuited my s3.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pierogi posted:

ten years on, i'm still on the same card, artisanaly crafted over the years from mini to micro to nano

same, except starting from a credit-card-sized sim in the 90s

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I don't think I have paid a sim activation fee in at least 13 years

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

mishaq posted:

physical sim cards are good security, virtual ones are a very bad idea

What difference does it make when the phone system has to support all kinds of legacy crap and scammers spoof numbers millions of times a day.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

emoji posted:

What difference does it make when the phone system has to support all kinds of legacy crap and scammers spoof numbers millions of times a day.

fair

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

emoji posted:

your telecom system is a piece of poo poo

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

my SIM card is fine my SIM card is fine I scream as

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

DJ Commie posted:

your telecom system is a piece of poo poo

do you even know the depths

like at all

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
if you do
code:
defaults write com.apple.Dock mineffect suck
killall Dock
you get a secret window minimize effect

http://i.imgur.com/xW50b3B.gifv

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 18, 2017

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
just hold shift while you click the minimize button

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Scott Forstall posted:

just hold shift while you click the minimize button

thats a completely different animation than the normal "suck" (yes haha macos always sucks. got it)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
it's a completely different effect than the "genie" effect. putting the window on the right half of the screen makes it more obvious, but i didn't discover that until after i'd made this GIF.

and yeah, i was holding down shift during the screen recording.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
here, now you can see the difference better
http://i.imgur.com/EaoBEj7.gifv

here's the regular genie effect
http://i.imgur.com/WqDcq1W.gifv

and welp, i am officially done caring about this lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i apprecaite it doc

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Doc Block posted:

if you do
code:
defaults write com.apple.Dock mineffect suck
killall dock
you get a secret window minimize effect

http://i.imgur.com/xW50b3B.gifv

does it make a flushing sound?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Wheany posted:

does it make a flushing sound?

Only when your posts are on screen :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
SIM cards are a portable secure element. your iPhone already has a secure element built in for Apple Pay, and it can host a dozen virtual SIM cards if they wanted to. there is no reason to have a physical sim except that gemalto (the sim company) won't allow anything else.

• Locked thread