Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

snergle posted:

whole foods also sells apricot pits.

I'm not recommending it for anything, I'm saying it exists. What's your point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Was Uber ever supposed to be a "full time" job for people? Apparently so if they are helping finance cars, which I had no idea they were doing.

..This was literally their claimed business model as an alternative to cabs, so yes. Naturally, like all purely capitalistic enterprises, it is designed solely to enrich the wealthy (by claiming a webapp entitles them to the majority of a driver's revenue when in reality an open-sourced app could perform the same functionality) at the expense of labor (by shoving all operating costs onto the drivers while having zero expenses that aren't covered by idiot investors), which is exactly why capitalism is good and communism is for losers in their parents basement.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Whole Foods definitely sells pure cranberry juice. It tastes like going down on a car battery, consumed unadulterated.

So does Trader Joes.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not recommending it for anything, I'm saying it exists. What's your point?

If you get a UTI you'll guzzle the stuff no matter the taste

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Decrepus posted:

The guy is retarded but he was able to find someone even more retarded and videotape them.

i'd agree with that haha

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

So does Trader Joes.

You really shouldn't put Trader Joes in your mouth my dude.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Marisa Mayer has made the wise decision to donate all her 2017 bonus to her employees , perhaps to allay them lynching her on her way out

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I will continue to practice my I Toldja So dance for when Uber ultimately meets its demise.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bonzo posted:

If you get a UTI you'll guzzle the stuff no matter the taste

Cranberries don't actually have an effect on UTIs

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

What kind of user black car costs $97k?

Sorry, I got two stories mixed up. This guy was driving for them since 2011, and was complaining about lost income since Uber has been lowering payment rates to their drivers. It's implied that the driver has had to buy newer model cars to continue being a part of UberBlack, but I don't know if he's including "lost" income in his calculations as well.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ok, CEO of Uber or whatever is a stupid cock but the driver is driver for a reason apparently (he's an idiot)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ok, CEO of Uber or whatever is a stupid cock but the driver is driver for a reason apparently (he's an idiot)

If you watch that video and you side with the CEO even a little, then boy, I don't know.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Glenn Quebec posted:

He's an immigrant I bet.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I side with no one if you can read I'm clearly making GBS threads on both of them.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why do we even need the Uber infrastructure

There should just be a new ridesharing app where people meet other people and the drivers keep all the money for themselves

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

There should just be a new ridesharing app where people meet other people and the drivers keep all the money for themselves

For the same reason people prefer McDonalds to a guy selling hamburgers on the side of the road. You can expect a certain level of service with Uber that you wouldn't necessarily get from a crowd sourced sharing app.

But you're right the system is not sustainable which is why Uber is breaking the law building their self driving technology. Uber has no intention on continuing their current business model.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

Marisa Mayer has made the wise decision to donate all her 2017 bonus to her employees , perhaps to allay them lynching her on her way out

If the bonus was in Yahoo! stock she didnt lose anything.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Her compensation during her tenure is over $160M so it would appear that even the uber rich are self aware enough to know when enough is enough. Then again

"I am the CEO of the company and since this incident happened during my tenure, I have agreed to forgo my annual bonus and my annual equity grant this year,"

Agreed, not decided. "Agreed" implies the idea was not hers and she may not have been open to the idea.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

JB50 posted:

Im sure you meant ice, but now Im imagining a drink filled with rice.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Combine that with 100% pure cranberry juice and you have yourself a winner.

LSD CURES JUNKIES
Sep 12, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Cranberries don't actually have an effect on UTIs

It didn't do poo poo for the kidney stone I had that was misdiagnosed as a UTI either but the no sugar added bottle of it I drank was good.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

The Uber (or maybe it was Lift, one of those} ads I've seen/heard on the radio called it "the ultimate side hustle". That was the exact phrasing used.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

shadowvine118 posted:

The Uber (or maybe it was Lift, one of those} ads I've seen/heard on the radio called it "the ultimate side hustle". That was the exact phrasing used.

'Always Be Hustlin' is one of their corporate mission statements iirc

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Go for it! Who runs the backing infrastructure for matching drivers to riders, payment, tax paperwork, dispute resolution, and so forth?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Ein cooler Typ posted:

http://libretaxi.org/

Subjunctive posted:

Go for it! Who runs the backing infrastructure for matching drivers to riders, payment, tax paperwork, dispute resolution, and so forth?

You do!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

shadowvine118 posted:

A "side hustle" is exactly what it should be used as by people. Just a way to make a few bucks after work or on your weekends if you already have a decent car. Why the gently caress would you buy a new car to drive for a company that you're not even an employee for?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Who gets sued when you match a rider to somebody who hasn't been vetted by the open source code properly?

Solice Kirsk posted:

A "side hustle" is exactly what it should be used as by people. Just a way to make a few bucks after work or on your weekends if you already have a decent car. Why the gently caress would you buy a new car to drive for a company that you're not even an employee for?

In my day we just called that a second job.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Because the company advertised on becoming a full time gig if you had a nice enough car. Uber pushed the idea that they were starting up a special service more akin to a regular taxi including better pay, and then they used that lie to sell car loans.

Frankly the idea that the job is so flexible that it provides opportunity for people who really hustle to make a decent living if they just work hard enough is endemic to so much of the labor market that claiming there are some jobs that just aren't supposed to provide a living wage is nothing but can-kicking bullshit.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The only thing apricot pits are good for is pranking people who eat a lot of almonds.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I use Uber but lol if you're dumb enough to work for them

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
One thing Uber has going for it is it's really safe. My Uber driver in D.C. left his regular taxi job after one of his co-workers was found in his trunk.

And I know someone will now post stories about Uber drivers getting killed or assaulting their passengers, but on a crime committed per mile driven, you've never been safer getting into a stranger's car.

So maybe whatever rises out of the ashes of our sharing economy will use some of Uber's good qualities (i.e. no cash and an app linked to your identity).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What about the insurance they're probably not carrying for when you get injured in an accident?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

brugroffil posted:

What about the insurance they're probably not carrying for when you get injured in an accident?

Isn't this a locally based thing, like I believe our town made a rule that they had to cary insurance like taxi drivers.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
When I was shopping for a new car, I signed up for Uber as a driver, just to get 1000 off.

Didn't use it because I bought a Volt instead, that's my side hustle story.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Burt Sexual posted:

Isn't this a locally based thing, like I believe our town made a rule that they had to cary insurance like taxi drivers.

Oh well a rule will definitely ensure they have insurance

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Kareem posted:

One thing Uber has going for it is it's really safe. My Uber driver in D.C. left his regular taxi job after one of his co-workers was found in his trunk.

And I know someone will now post stories about Uber drivers getting killed or assaulting their passengers, but on a crime committed per mile driven, you've never been safer getting into a stranger's car.

So maybe whatever rises out of the ashes of our sharing economy will use some of Uber's good qualities (i.e. no cash and an app linked to your identity).

Maybe for drivers, and even then I'm skeptical.

I don't think anyone can say that the old taxi system didn't have a lot of problems that the Uber model addresses, but non of those things require the squeeze on labor that Uber necessitates to function (while still failing to succeed.) I legit feel like branching out into a more conventional taxi service with the higher rates and everything would have been a smart step for Uber. But the company is just so fixated on not having to manage actual employees with all the inherent responsibility, that they'd never do that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

Maybe for drivers, and even then I'm skeptical.

I don't think anyone can say that the old taxi system didn't have a lot of problems that the Uber model addresses, but non of those things require the squeeze on labor that Uber necessitates to function (while still failing to succeed.) I legit feel like branching out into a more conventional taxi service with the higher rates and everything would have been a smart step for Uber. But the company is just so fixated on not having to manage actual employees with all the inherent responsibility, that they'd never do that.

Uber will never make its driver's employees because they are literally betting everything on driverless cars within the next 5 years. Google proving Uber stole trade secrets will kill them faster than any class action lawsuit over employment status.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there wolf posted:

I legit feel like branching out into a more conventional taxi service with the higher rates and everything would have been a smart step for Uber. But the company is just so fixated on not having to manage actual employees with all the inherent responsibility, that they'd never do that.

But taxi drivers aren't employees?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Krispy Kareem posted:

I don't think that's true at all, dude. I mean Uber has only been around for a few years and we've already had a literal mass shooting incident where a guy was driving around picking up fares in between killing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Oh well a rule will definitely ensure they have insurance

Are you being pedantic over the word rule? Ok city code, whatever. They have to prove insurance to operate in the city. Otherwise get fined, suspended, etc. idk where your coming from but housing codes, and a list of other things are enforced at the city level.