Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I played my first games with other regular players today. I don't really understand the overall flow or strategy of the game too well, but won a game as Runner despite that. I only have the Genesis expansions and C&C plus a couple core sets, and my deck designed to play Monolith as soon as possible seemed to work ok. Also (as Corp) I encountered Sifr for the first time. Yikes, that thing was comboing with something to easily trash all my ice.

Is this a bad time to get into Netrunner, focusing on friendly games? I don't have a whole lot of interest in the tournament scene but that might change with time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I played my first games with other regular players today. I don't really understand the overall flow or strategy of the game too well, but won a game as Runner despite that. I only have the Genesis expansions and C&C plus a couple core sets, and my deck designed to play Monolith as soon as possible seemed to work ok. Also (as Corp) I encountered Sifr for the first time. Yikes, that thing was comboing with something to easily trash all my ice.

Is this a bad time to get into Netrunner, focusing on friendly games? I don't have a whole lot of interest in the tournament scene but that might change with time.

https://runthenet.wordpress.com/2016/08/23/recommended-teachinglearning-decks/

I haven't played constructed in months but that's a cool list of good decks to learn with that are all more or less balanced against each other. No guarantees about how they'll perform in the wild- Whizz, Andy, and maybe Spark/HB should be decent but GRNDL isn't great against the whole meta

also dont play monolith

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

https://runthenet.wordpress.com/2016/08/23/recommended-teachinglearning-decks/

I haven't played constructed in months but that's a cool list of good decks to learn with that are all more or less balanced against each other. No guarantees about how they'll perform in the wild- Whizz, Andy, and maybe Spark/HB should be decent but GRNDL isn't great against the whole meta

also dont play monolith

Thanks, I'll check them out when NetrunnerDB is working. I have a feeling playing Monolith is kind of like playing huge impractical green creatures in MtG, but I was just giving a deck a shot.

Here's a bunch of questions while I'm at it:

- Conceptually I like NBN a lot but they seem to not get much play. Is it dumb to use them anyway for friendly matches?
- How do you handle having multiple Corp or Runner decks? For shared cards the best thing I can think of is just to have them ready to switch between decks.
- Do Runners even bother with icebreakers? It seemed like most of the time my icebreakers were not doing much for me on board. Isn't it way more powerful to use various tricks to get around ice or trash it?
- Is it just me, or does your economy demand way more attention in Netrunner than in Magic? It seems like not worrying about income can be devastating in this game, especially because a lot of helpers like Sure Gamble cost money themselves.
- What, uh, do I do as Corp? It seems like I can never protect all my servers adequately or contain the damage from successful runs. If I don't have a trap or bluffing sort of deck, how (in general) can I keep assets, score agendas, and defend my poo poo?

e: the last might be due to the fact I played HB with a lot of big ice; cheaper stuff might be easier to play with.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Thanks, I'll check them out when NetrunnerDB is working. I have a feeling playing Monolith is kind of like playing huge impractical green creatures in MtG, but I was just giving a deck a shot.

e: the last might be due to the fact I played HB with a lot of big ice; cheaper stuff might be easier to play with.

- Conceptually I like NBN a lot but they seem to not get much play. Is it dumb to use them anyway for friendly matches?
NBN is/was the best corp in the game, they used to have insane fast-advance (scoring agendas from hand) and still have pretty good FA with lots of assets. They can't do full-fledged glacier as well as others but they can get set up and scoring terrifyingly fast and have lots of fun ways to annoy the runner

- How do you handle having multiple Corp or Runner decks? For shared cards the best thing I can think of is just to have them ready to switch between decks.
I either do that or proxy. (I also bought a collection that had doubles of a lot of cards)

- Do Runners even bother with icebreakers? It seemed like most of the time my icebreakers were not doing much for me on board. Isn't it way more powerful to use various tricks to get around ice or trash it?
Yes and ice trashing/bypassing/etc is always good but 90% of runners will need a backup solution for ice at some point

- Is it just me, or does your economy demand way more attention in Netrunner than in Magic? It seems like not worrying about income can be devastating in this game, especially because a lot of helpers like Sure Gamble cost money themselves.
I haven't really played Magic but Netrunner has its own sense of econ tempo that takes some getting used to- the 'have to have money to make money' adage is pretty big.

- What, uh, do I do as Corp? It seems like I can never protect all my servers adequately or contain the damage from successful runs. If I don't have a trap or bluffing sort of deck, how (in general) can I keep assets, score agendas, and defend my poo poo?
To modify Stanley Baldwin, the Runner will always get through. Once they get set up and an econ engine running most runners can get through corp servers. The trick is going fast/disrupting them to keep them from developing to that state, and using alternate methods to protect your stuff such as defensive upgrades (albeit those are garbage rn but thats a different story), fast advance, and so on. For example in the listed decks above, Weyland goes lightning-quick to score out before the runner is set up (with a kill threat to slow down their setup), Haas uses Ash to protect their agendas in conjunction with beefy taxing ice, NBN uses cheapo ice and econ disruption to score off SanSan City Grid. (Also big ice tends to be super uneconomical, 8-9c is generally limits of practicality in normal decks)

Jinteki.net is a great resource for getting online games in, shoot me a PM if you want to get some learning games in

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What a loving world we live in where "should I bother using icebreakers" is a legit question a new player has.

Anyways:
-NBN is widely considered the best Corp faction. Every Corp deck in the top 5 (10?) at the last world's tournament was NBN. That being said, a lot of their power came from more recent cards you might not yet have.
-I just print out proxies. Especially if you're not at any competitive stuff no one will care. I've seen hand-drawn proxies of popular cards.
-ice destruction and avoidance is powerful, but limited. There are plenty of tools to counter it (or at least to counter recursion of it) with more coming soon. Icebreakers are necessary for when you run out of tools, as they guarantee you will get in with enough money.
-economy management is like 80% of the game. It's a massive part of the game, the meta is often shaped by big economy cards. It's why people say monolith isn't good: it costs a massive amount of credits (also because it forces you to not play programs, further killing your tempo)
-Corp is kind of at a weird spot right now, but generally you win by taxing the runner until they can't get into a remote server, which you then score out of. You tax them primarily with ice that is relatively cheap to rez, but the runner needs to pay to get through over and over. Them trashing assets is also a double-edged sword; you lose the asset, but they lose money.

Disclaimer: I'm a bit out of date on the meta, my words are from a really casual standpoint. If your meta has more serious players (considering they run SIFR + ice destruction, it's likely) then my advice might not apply. Honestly I don't know how to deal with that poo poo without using newer cards that counter it.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

-NBN's core set ID is pretty weak but yellow is easily the strongest corp. Go nuts.
-Switching cards back and forth is common, but for friendly games most people won't mind if you use proxies.
-Very few Runner decks run literally no icebreakers, but ice destruction is rampant these days exactly because it's so powerful and easier than ever.
-Economy is massively important in Netrunner. Knowing how many credits you and your opponent have is important, and knowing what your opponent can do with the credits they have is incredibly important. As the Corp, if the Runner ends their turn broke, you probably have a decent window to try scoring an agenda (if you're not broke yourself). As the Runner, knowing what sort of ice the Corp can rez is a major influence on if and where you should run.
-What to do as Corp is a big concern lately, but there are four basic strategies:
1. Glacier - use defensive upgrades like Caprice Nisei, Marcus Batty, Ash, and/or Off the Grid to keep the Runner out while you score. Suffers heavily under Rumor Mill, and isn't very effective if the Runner can make repeated runs cheaply.
2. Fast Advance - use cards like Biotic Labor and SanSan City Grid to score agendas within a single turn.
3. Shell Game - Use a variety of traps, assets, and agendas to keep the Runner guessing about whether the card you just installed is something they want to run on or not. Relies more on luck than the other strategies.
4. Tag Punishment - Land tags on the Runner and then either kill them with meat damage or get points with Exchange of Information.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks, I appreciate the response! Might take you up on the online play -- this game is really scratching the itch that Magic can't quite get at. :)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
GUILTY!

https://clips.twitch.tv/vttvlive/HelpfulStingrayFailFish

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Talk about a best-case-scenario!

If Tribunal were just a couple credits cheaper, it'd be all over my decks.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
Terminal Directive runner spoilers: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/21/why-do-you-run/

Abagnale! A legit good decoder for Criminals. A quasi-Andy Shaper ID! And so on.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

ninjaiguana posted:

Terminal Directive runner spoilers: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/21/why-do-you-run/

Abagnale! A legit good decoder for Criminals. A quasi-Andy Shaper ID! And so on.

Abagnale is ALMOST too good. It breaks most common Code Gates for ~3 and has a build in OSB. Mixed with effects that trigger off bypassing an ICE it is a very strong in it's own right. Also the option to trash means it is not a wasted card if you draw more mid/late game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It's a strictly inferior Gordian with a pretty decent ability. It prob wouldn't set the world on fire y itself butcrims need a decoder that's not garbage

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Levy Advanced Research Lab reminded me of classic Netrunner. There were three different resources, each letting you spend a click to reveal the top 4 or 5 cards of your stack and add any programs, hardware, or resources (depending on which resource you were using) for 1 credit apiece, and reshuffle the rest back into the stack. The one for programs was called Aujourd'Oui.

While looking that up, I came across Precision Bribery, which may be exactly what runners need to shut down asset spam decks. Something these days might be like...
The Red File
Resource - Unique
0 to install, neutral, 1 influence
The Corp cannot create new servers.
The Corp gains, "4, click: Remove The Red File from the game."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Abagnale and the Shaper ID are really cool. Abagnale might be part of a suite of similar breakers.

I'm interested in possible economy cards in the set - if people are coming from core set to Terminal Directive, I think having more economy options, even if they're conditional, would probably improve the play experience a ton for new players as they get more money to play the cool cards. Some of the Criminal stuff shown here would be pretty difficult to play on a Core set economy. That might be a dumb thing to say with Temujin Contract being a card that exists.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

StashAugustine posted:

It's a strictly inferior Gordian with a pretty decent ability. It prob wouldn't set the world on fire y itself butcrims need a decoder that's not garbage
I'm going to invent a new competitive archetype that uses Abagnale and call it ButtCrim in honour of this post

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Zephro posted:

I'm going to invent a new competitive archetype that uses Abagnale and call it ButtCrim in honour of this post

It would be one of the better ANR deck names in recent memory period.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The Deleter posted:

Abagnale might be part of a suite of similar breakers.

Yep, says so in the article!

:: You might also like the new breaker suite that comes in Terminal Directive. Like ABAGNALE (Terminal Directive, 6), each of the three standard breakers that the expansion makes available to Steve Cambridge and the game's other Criminals comes with a built-in TRASH ability. For example: "[TRASH]: Bypass a piece of code gate ice currently being encountered, even if it has strength greater than Abagnale."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Those breakers are gunna rule in Geist decks

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yep, says so in the article!

:: You might also like the new breaker suite that comes in Terminal Directive. Like ABAGNALE (Terminal Directive, 6), each of the three standard breakers that the expansion makes available to Steve Cambridge and the game's other Criminals comes with a built-in TRASH ability. For example: "[TRASH]: Bypass a piece of code gate ice currently being encountered, even if it has strength greater than Abagnale."

I'm expecting the other two breakers to be 'Ponzi' and...someone else. 'Lustig', maybe?

Unless the key link is 'planes' instead of 'con artists', and we could have 'Wright' and 'Aerhart', or something similar. (The link is not going to be planes.)

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 22, 2017

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
D.B. Cooper

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Yeah, I considered Cooper. He's not a con artist, so not entirely following if that is the intended theme, but I could see them using him. He's literally the first other criminal my mind went to from Abagnale because of the 'criminal plus plane' connection, so there's arguably a stronger mental link worth considering rather than saying 'Oh, he's no good because he's a different kind of criminal.'

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe a Bernie Madoff

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Madoff and Belfort imo. Anyone who's got a good snappy quote for flavour text. (Belfort might like the sound of his own voice too much for this.)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm working with those learning decks and trying to figure out what to proxy and buy. Currently I have 2 cores, all of Genesis, and C&C. The Kit (shaper) deck is mostly within reach, as I'm only missing 6 cards: 2 each of Cerberus "Lady" H1, Beth Kilrain-Chang, and Legwork. I can replace Cerberus with another barrier-breaker and Legwork isn't too critical (maybe replace with another Run event?), but I think I will be hurting without Beth so I'll probably pick up Blood Money sometime.

The corp decks are going to be trickier though. Looks like I can do the Spark deck most of the way if I buy the Spin cycle and Data & Destiny. In the meantime, I guess I'm using black & white proxies. :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Shaper doesn't really have other good fracters, but if you drop Legworks you can pick up Corroder. D&D is real good because Global Food Initiative is one of the best 5/3s in the game

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm working with those learning decks and trying to figure out what to proxy and buy. Currently I have 2 cores, all of Genesis, and C&C. The Kit (shaper) deck is mostly within reach, as I'm only missing 6 cards: 2 each of Cerberus "Lady" H1, Beth Kilrain-Chang, and Legwork. I can replace Cerberus with another barrier-breaker and Legwork isn't too critical (maybe replace with another Run event?), but I think I will be hurting without Beth so I'll probably pick up Blood Money sometime.

The corp decks are going to be trickier though. Looks like I can do the Spark deck most of the way if I buy the Spin cycle and Data & Destiny. In the meantime, I guess I'm using black & white proxies. :v:

Blood Money has a lot of really good and essential cards in it, so that pack should be your first priority for purchasing.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blood money is the new opening moves

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks for the tip, I picked up Blood Money. I'll probably be waiting a bit before picking up more.

I think I'll be staying in Portland for a while here, so if any of you are up there we should play sometime.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Thanks for the tip, I picked up Blood Money. I'll probably be waiting a bit before picking up more.

I think I'll be staying in Portland for a while here, so if any of you are up there we should play sometime.

You might actually drag me out to play this for the first time in ages. You in the city proper or Beaverton area?

In the city there's Guardian Games, Red Castle (or Red Door?), and Portland Game Store. In Beaverton there's Rainy Day Games and their Thursday LCG day.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

PJOmega posted:

You might actually drag me out to play this for the first time in ages. You in the city proper or Beaverton area?

In the city there's Guardian Games, Red Castle (or Red Door?), and Portland Game Store. In Beaverton there's Rainy Day Games and their Thursday LCG day.

I'll be in NE Portland. Just joined the PDX Netrunner group on Facebook, looks like a good scene.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
In regards to the teaching decks in the opening post of this thread:

Taught my IRL buddy netrunner tonight. He played runner for one game, and then he played corp. Using decks in OP.
He had fun playing runner and even won. The cards in the runner deck are a good matchup for the corp deck. Unfortunately the corp doesn't really have any ICE that is too bad of a matchup for the runner's icebreakers, with the gabriel teaching deck having a lot of good influence in icebreakers. So the runner seems more likely to win, as in game 2 I also won with the runner.

Then there's the problem of HB. The second game took forever, because I couldn't really go over what every card he drew did without ruining the bluffing aspects of the corp, but also HB's tendency to glacier meant that the second game took like two hours, even though the first game, explaining rules, watching the official FFG tutorial, setting up... all combined took about one hour.

I think maybe weyland would be faster? trading bad pubs for cash? The HB deck in the opening post was often a bit credit poor. Or maybe a worse runner deck would just be more "fair"?

Next week I teach another IRL friend the game, without friend #1 being there, so I'm still on the lookout for a more even matchup, or a more fun corp deck. Or maybe I just make friend #2 play runner twice in a row and then stop for the day. Sidestepping the problem of the corp deck being a bit weak and slow paced.

Feel free to leave any comments about what I should do. I do feel like the default rulebook suggestion of mixing all the cards of one faction with all the neutral cards of that side would have made for a more even HB versus criminal matchup. criminal really got a ton of use out of it's influence in these decks.

Another option might be to let the corp deck use one deluxe expansion, and keep the runner on core only? I currently own 1core+one copy of each of the 4 big box deluxe sets. I've played a lot of games online, so I myself am fairly familiar with the cards/rules. Even if I have no idea how to build a fun or fair deck.

namad fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 24, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
While I'm honestly a bit flattered that the decks I threw together for a 1-core tournament are still in the OP, they're really bad teaching decks.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Played my first OP tonight. Granted, it was just me and the other guy in town that plays, but I got that sweet acrylic nbn click counter so yay! Also, Earth's best mom.

I really want to build a Skorpios deck when it comes out.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I havent player Netrunner since midway through the SanSan cycle, but yesterday a couple of friend asked me to show them how to play. I set them up with my old Kit stealth suite deck and a Titan Transnational trick of light all-the-advancement-tokens deck. Even though all I did was referee and teach the game, it really reminded me just how much I enjoy Netrunner. I know there has been a lot of errata and deck building restrictions introduced, so I'll have to find someone at my local game store willing to play with my casual old school decks. What's the meta these days? When I last used to play every Tuesday, Replicating Perfection was the King Of poo poo Mountain, and I think MaXX eater decks where a thing.

I've got a couple other questions if someone wouldn't mind answering an old timer:

What's the deal with the new Legacy style Netrunner expansion? The one where you put stickers on a sheet to track meta changes?

Next, how is the Netrunner community doing? Are there still big crowds at game stores for Netrunner night?

And finally, if I want to go out and buy a couple data packs to catch up (my most recent pack was Breaker Bay I think? The 2nd or 3rd San San anyhow), where should I start? Normally I'd go straight for the deluxe box, but it seems to be sold out since it's $50 on Amazon. I guess what I'm asking is where do I get the new must-have cards like the J-How and Plascrete of yesteryear?

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I havent player Netrunner since midway through the SanSan cycle, but yesterday a couple of friend asked me to show them how to play. I set them up with my old Kit stealth suite deck and a Titan Transnational trick of light all-the-advancement-tokens deck. Even though all I did was referee and teach the game, it really reminded me just how much I enjoy Netrunner. I know there has been a lot of errata and deck building restrictions introduced, so I'll have to find someone at my local game store willing to play with my casual old school decks. What's the meta these days? When I last used to play every Tuesday, Replicating Perfection was the King Of poo poo Mountain, and I think MaXX eater decks where a thing.

I've got a couple other questions if someone wouldn't mind answering an old timer:

What's the deal with the new Legacy style Netrunner expansion? The one where you put stickers on a sheet to track meta changes?
No one has played it yet but it looks like it's more or less what it says on the box: a legacy style campaign stapled to a small-box expansion. It's supposedly designed to work well even if you just have a core set. There will be a release event with sweet promos. Everyone I know is pretty excited for it, but time will tell if it ends up being good.

quote:

Next, how is the Netrunner community doing? Are there still big crowds at game stores for Netrunner night?
Last year's regional numbers and this year's store champ numbers are down from 2015 due to the Mumbad cycle being super miserable in terms of play experience and Flashpoint having some pretty degenerate cards. That being said, Worlds was huge and the two metas I've played in this past year (Colorado and southern Massachusetts) seem relatively healthy in spite of the attrition, and the new designer just did an interview where he said in no unclear terms that he (and FFG) know it's an issue and will be working to fix it.

quote:

And finally, if I want to go out and buy a couple data packs to catch up (my most recent pack was Breaker Bay I think? The 2nd or 3rd San San anyhow), where should I start? Normally I'd go straight for the deluxe box, but it seems to be sold out since it's $50 on Amazon. I guess what I'm asking is where do I get the new must-have cards like the J-How and Plascrete of yesteryear?
Blood Money and Quorum are probably the best two packs to buy for runner right now, not sure about corp.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Static Equilibrium posted:

No one has played it yet but it looks like it's more or less what it says on the box: a legacy style campaign stapled to a small-box expansion. It's supposedly designed to work well even if you just have a core set. There will be a release event with sweet promos. Everyone I know is pretty excited for it, but time will tell if it ends up being good.

Last year's regional numbers and this year's store champ numbers are down from 2015 due to the Mumbad cycle being super miserable in terms of play experience and Flashpoint having some pretty degenerate cards. That being said, Worlds was huge and the two metas I've played in this past year (Colorado and southern Massachusetts) seem relatively healthy in spite of the attrition, and the new designer just did an interview where he said in no unclear terms that he (and FFG) know it's an issue and will be working to fix it.

Blood Money and Quorum are probably the best two packs to buy for runner right now, not sure about corp.

Thanks for the tips. I'm excited to get back into Netrunner, and I look forward to seeing how much things have changed since I left.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Static Equilibrium posted:

Yeah, and not because they broaden the game experience, or promote fun new playstyles, or have interesting synergies with the existing cardpool. It's because of brokenly good power cards.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Won a plastic CT at pax. It has a special surprise. Ill post a pic when I get back to the hotel.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Here we go. I hope it's not a typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Machai posted:

Here we go. I hope it's not a typo.

That's almost too cute that it's the same number if it's not a typo.

• Locked thread