Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jane Eyre and North and South are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I've never read any of the Bronte sisters, or any Jane Austen for that matter. I've read Silas Marner by George Eliot, wasn't a fan.

I plan to at least read Pride and Prejudice and Wuthering Heights in the near future.

You should also read Middlemarch.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I've never read any of the Bronte sisters, or any Jane Austen for that matter. I've read Silas Marner by George Eliot, wasn't a fan.

I plan to at least read Pride and Prejudice and Wuthering Heights in the near future.

You should read Jane Eyre and Emma too. OTOH, the only good bit in Agnes Grey is when one of Agnes' brattish charges is torturing a baby bird so she drops a rock on it to put it out of its misery.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I should actually read a Rushdie book.

I've only read The Satanic Verses but I was reading it at my museum job and some guy walked up to hand me his ticket and was like "oh what are you reading?" and I said "The Satanic Verses" because I just assumed people had heard of it and he gave me a creeped out look and probably thought I was some weirdo goth devil fetishist.

It was a pretty good book though, I want to read Midnight's Children

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Midnight's Children was really good when I read it 10 yrs ago or so, as was Fury, but I was probably even more stupid then, so it might suck, don't hold it against me, please

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

Midnight's Children was really good when I read it 10 yrs ago or so, as was Fury, but I was probably even more stupid then, so it might suck, don't hold it against me, please

It's good, but not as good as it's reputation would suggest, much like Infinite Jest

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
emily bronte best bronte

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I've read Jane Eyre twice so far in college, once in a general British literature course and another time in an adolescent literature course. I really like how Bronte details what happens if you take away all the things that made women valuable - eligibility as a daughter and money - at the time and basically building Jane up from literally nothing. It's quite progressive for the time, and contrasts starkly with Austen and Pride and Prejudice. It's been a while since I read Wuthering Heights, about time for another read.

Can't wait to read the book again because I may write my senior thesis on it :v:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Tenant of Wildfell Hall is the most underrated Bronte novel

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Jane Eyre and North and South are good

I agree. I WILL MARRY BERTHA MASON.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly Bertha was almost certainly a better shag than Jane

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

david crosby posted:

It's good, but not as good as it's reputation would suggest, much like Infinite Jest

Midnight's Children was Rushdie's breakout Big Important Novel and feels like it, it's ambitious and sprawling but has trouble settling on any one topic long enough to do it justice.

Stylistically I've always said his best work is either The Satanic Verses or Shalimar the Clown.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I've only read The Satanic Verses but it owns

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I read like three quarters of the way through Midnight's Children then hit a point where I still thought the writing was really beautiful but I just didn't have any interest in knowing what happened next, and then at some point I put it down and never picked it back up again

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

hi everyone my buddy and i just finished (well i finished, hes still going because hes slow) jean genet's our lady of the flowers and we're looking for another book to read. anyone got suggestions?

if it helps, my favorite aspects of our lady are the beautiful prose and the smoking hot gay sex

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

hi everyone my buddy and i just finished (well i finished, hes still going because hes slow) jean genet's our lady of the flowers and we're looking for another book to read. anyone got suggestions?

if it helps, my favorite aspects of our lady are the beautiful prose and the smoking hot gay sex

Miracle of the rose is another very good genet, can't remember what translation i read though. you could try mishima i guess although the gay sex there is more implied most of the time

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

I'm assuming you've read Oscar Wilde yeah

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

J_RBG posted:

Tenant of Wildfell Hall is the most underrated Bronte novel

I liked the bit where they treat the woman like a helicopter parent because she won't let her five year old have any wine

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What's a good book to start on Samuel Beckett?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Unnamable.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ZearothK posted:

What's a good book to start on Samuel Beckett?
Molloy, I read Malone Dies first because I was dumb

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Malone dies

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My next read will be To The Lighthouse, and it's my first Woolf.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Mr. Squishy posted:

If you must talk about genre fiction please use the every other thread in this forum.

All fiction is genre fiction. I've read the most fantastical, unrealistic things in "realist" fiction.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CountFosco posted:

All fiction is genre fiction. I've read the most fantastical, unrealistic things in "realist" fiction.

Thanks, Count Fosco

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CountFosco posted:

I'm going to flush you down a toilet

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
The most unrealistic thing to happen in realist fiction is the nerdass main character getting laid

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

CountFosco posted:

I've gotta give this post a hard FosNo

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Always nice to see the continuing edifying effects of real literature on the discourse of the public square.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
thanks for popping back into the thread fosco, see you again in 6 months

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Read Stanislaw Lem if you must read science fiction.

What about Jules Verne? I never read any of his stuff but I thought it was supposed to be "classic." Honestly asking here if his stuff is good aad worth reading.

Only classic lit book I really want to read nowadays is Crime and Punishment. I think that's supposed to be a classic anyway. It sounded really good.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
jules verne is 'classic' in the genre of science fiction and in the sense that he was written a long time ago but no one considers his poo poo 'classic' in the sense of 'highbrow' and for the love of god can we stop talking about genre fiction in the only thread in this subforum not dedicated to genre fiction

also using the term 'classics' to point to any referent other than greco-roman works of antiquity is indicative of a bad brain

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

jules verne is 'classic' in the genre of science fiction and in the sense that he was written a long time ago but no one considers his poo poo 'classic' in the sense of 'highbrow' and for the love of god can we stop talking about genre fiction in the only thread in this subforum not dedicated to genre fiction

also using the term 'classics' to point to any referent other than greco-roman works of antiquity is indicative of a bad brain

I just thought it meant an older piece of literature considered to have historical and cultural value. It's not necessarily a judge of quality since there seem to be no end to so-called classics that people vehemently hate.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They're not exactly high literature, but are positively edifying compared to modern sci-fi.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

What about the mahabharata

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I don't mean to do an own on anyone, but I click this thread every so often and I don't know if it is really representative, but these are the talking points, as I remember them from clicking maybe every 6 months or so and I figured I'd share because it is funny to me;

Dune
Harry Potter
Some kind of Star Wars erotica based discussion with an in-depth look at how the cum from different Star Wars races might be different
Dune
Someone doing a sick own on the Bible, cleverly suggesting it be placed in the fictional section with children's fairy tales
Dune

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Grandmother of Five posted:

I don't mean to do an own on anyone, but I click this thread every so often and I don't know if it is really representative, but these are the talking points, as I remember them from clicking maybe every 6 months or so and I figured I'd share because it is funny to me;

Dune
Harry Potter
Some kind of Star Wars erotica based discussion with an in-depth look at how the cum from different Star Wars races might be different
Dune
Someone doing a sick own on the Bible, cleverly suggesting it be placed in the fictional section with children's fairy tales
Dune

Breathe 3asy,you did not do an own on anyone

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I hope not, but from my experience you can get called a troll on some of the subforums by saying stuff like "it is sad that people die from drugs" or "please be kind to animals".

Anyway, I am going to read a bunch of stuff by Dan Turčll which was recommended to me in the Scandinavian thread. I'm obviously going to read it in Danish, since that is the original language & I speak it, but if anyone is interested in Scandinavian literature in general, it is my experience that translation between English and the Nordic language is often of a high quality, and if you're looking at any particular recommendations on original works or translation, I'm guessing that a bunch of people from the Scandinavian thread would be glad to give recommendations.

I don't know if you all use it already, but the various regional threads are a potentially pretty useful resource to be aware of imo when looking into translated works.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

The most unrealistic thing to happen in realist fiction is the nerdass main character getting laid

Yeah I also thought the new Jonathan Lethem wasn't great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
im reading some super mario vargas llosa