Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a friend of mine has a name with origins in a region with very old farming communities, and it goes:

<given name> <farming community> <family name>

but if you want to refer to her by last name (e.g. with title or so) it goes

<family name> <farming community>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

redleader posted:

let's be real here: no one in yospos is breaking into any markets where a simple first/last name pair won't suffice

lol no

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

redleader posted:

let's be real here: no one in yospos is breaking into any markets where a simple first/last name pair won't suffice

u a good reader.
same page as your post:

cis autodrag posted:

we have a seperate field for dutch people to specify their van/von/whatever because like 90% of dutch people have that and they don't like it to affect alphebatization.

the approach we've taken is simply to when we sign someone in a new country work with them to develop support for their name-related needs. so sure we don't have support for vietnamese names right now, but we have arabic script and name support. in an ideal world you support more name-related needs as they come, but a lot of programmers want to poo poo-it-and-forget-it with their products and never support them once they're done.

Also people without a first/last name pair are coming to your market already.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In Brazil we usually use a single name field and that's enough for our needs. Heck, Ive been paid to modify Magento stores to only require one single name field, instead of first and last

To be frank I barely understand why would need separate fields (I mean, why is that so important?), but probably that's because in Brazil we mostly use the first name

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sorting by last name for when you export a bigass excel file for some idiot to use

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bloody posted:

sorting by last name for when you export a bigass excel file for some idiot to use

in that case when you make the excel file you split everything from the first whitespace off as the last name and that idiot sees all the wrong poo poo it generates as opposed to the implicitly respectable people typing their name into your product

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hmm let me sort my sales reports by last name like a complete idiot

wtf would even be the point of that

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Sorting by last name is a endianness bug in western culture. I never got the point of that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

also for a lot of regulatory stuff you have to capture distinct name pieces. for my industry it's a lot of reporting poo poo via various edi files to various government entities. they all want certain bits and pieces of names in certain ways so we need to have really fine-grained handling to accommodate it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Athas posted:

Sorting by last name is a endianness bug in western culture. I never got the point of that.

*scrolls past 4000 guys called John*

also I'm guessing this originated in telephone directories or census lists or something like that where you're more interested in locating the Smallwood residence than in speaking with Chester in particular

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

*scrolls past 1 billion guys named muhammad*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sapozhnik posted:

also I'm guessing this originated in telephone directories or census lists or something like that where you're more interested in locating the Smallwood residence than in speaking with Chester in particular

up till around 1970 or so, our phone directories were sorted by (last name, job title, first name)

its the worst when youre looking for someone but youre not sure what title they should be under

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I bet most of the time it's so the spam emails and the text by the logout button can say "hello $PRESUMABLY_FAMILIAR_NAME"

which is a stupid reason

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
i think really the key takeaway is that humans are hard and you shouldnt keep information on them unless you really need it, and if you do really need it, prepare for it to be really complicated

like, do most applications really need your name? no.
do most applications really need to know what gender/sex you are? no.

if you don't ask, you don't have to worry about the 7 billion edge cases you're going to have

think really hard about whether you need to ask the user for personal information before you do

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

last time i built a web thing with users i went oauth-only and stored at most a display name for the user that they could change willy nilly? idk, i dont want any user data at all. no pii, no passwords, none of that poo poo

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

last time i built a web thing with users i went oauth-only and stored at most a display name for the user that they could change willy nilly? idk, i dont want any user data at all. no pii, no passwords, none of that poo poo

this is the correct approach. no one wants to register dumb-web-account #18523, and your bad code can't leak info you don't have.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Sapozhnik posted:

*scrolls past 4000 guys called Smith*

Whew, good thing it was sorted by last name.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Arcsech posted:

i think really the key takeaway is that humans are hard and you shouldnt keep information on them unless you really need it, and if you do really need it, prepare for it to be really complicated

like, do most applications really need your name? no.

if you don't ask, you don't have to worry about the 7 billion edge cases you're going to have

think really hard about whether you need to ask the user for personal information before you do

how am i gonna sell data i dont have huh smart guy

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jony neuemonic posted:

this is the correct approach. no one wants to register dumb-web-account #18523, and your bad code can't leak info you don't have.

I always register more dumb-web-accounts instead of linking to google/facebook/microsoft if possible.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fleshweasel posted:

I always register more dumb-web-accounts instead of linking to google/facebook/microsoft if possible.

same

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
A full name field doesn't work because users don't know what to do or enter just their first name, do "last, first" and poo poo. That's why they're separate fields.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

pokeyman posted:

I bet most of the time it's so the spam emails and the text by the logout button can say "hello $PRESUMABLY_FAMILIAR_NAME"

which is a stupid reason

get those impressions, make those conversions, grab that cash

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sarehu posted:

A full name field doesn't work because users don't know what to do or enter just their first name, do "last, first" and poo poo. That's why they're separate fields.

a bloo bloo now i cant sell the data

lmao you idiot

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

sarehu posted:

Who cares, just refer to them by whatever they put in that box. If they are unhappy with it they can change it, since presumably your service should support the huge fraction of the population which changes their name at some point in their lives anyways.

For bonus points, put some clarification next to the field like "Name (this is how we'll refer to you in our communications with you):".

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Arcsech posted:

Apparently Facebook still does. It's okay! You can decide later if you want to hide the information from your profile! But Facebook still needs to know.

Powaqoatse posted:

a bloo bloo now i cant sell the data

This is actually a pretty strong argument for not actively structuring name information, and for not gathering it at all if possible.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

VikingofRock posted:

Who cares, just refer to them by whatever they put in that box. If they are unhappy with it they can change it, since presumably your service should support the huge fraction of the population which changes their name at some point in their lives anyways.

For bonus points, put some clarification next to the field like "Name (this is how we'll refer to you in our communications with you):".

ya letting the user change their name should be trivial because you aren't using it internally for anything critical anyways

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

sarehu posted:

Well, that's not true for everywhere in the world. Here people are accustomed to writing their full name on a single field, both in paper and online forms

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Also lmao if you think just knowing someone's name is enough to address them correctly

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Malcolm XML posted:

Also lmao if you think just knowing someone's name is enough to address them correctly

it is if you don't gender your communications, full name + preferred name if you must have a name, otherwise username and job done.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Maluco Marinero posted:

it is if you don't gender your communications, full name + preferred name if you must have a name, otherwise username and job done.

that's DOCTOR full name u plebe

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

JawnV6 posted:

that's DOCTOR full name u plebe

People can put whatever they want in the name field. Doctor, lord, pope, whatever.

Whenever I fill out forms with mandatory titles (usually on English websites) I always pick the most extravagant one available. A lot of packages have been delivered to Reverend Athas.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Athas posted:

People can put whatever they want in the name field. Doctor, lord, pope, whatever.

Whenever I fill out forms with mandatory titles (usually on English websites) I always pick the most extravagant one available. A lot of packages have been delivered to Reverend Athas.

lol

my bank has a text field for title. im gonna try putting in shitlord

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Athas posted:

There was a supermarket chain around here where you could get a discount card by filling a form on their website, and it had one of these. I remember putting something very extravagant like "Eminency" or something

But then cashiers at the supermarket were trained to actually use that stupid title when you presented your card at the store, and it was so embarassing to be called Eminency Elias out loud at the cashier that Ive stopped using the drat discount thing

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Elias_Maluco posted:

In Brazil we usually use a single name field and that's enough for our needs. Heck, Ive been paid to modify Magento stores to only require one single name field, instead of first and last

To be frank I barely understand why would need separate fields (I mean, why is that so important?), but probably that's because in Brazil we mostly use the first name

address forms are the same. i don't have a "state/province", stop making that a separate required field.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Athas posted:

*scrolls past 400 million people called Wang*

Whew, good thing it was sorted by last name.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

actually wang would be the first name

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
so insomniac games just published a postmortem of their choice to use a plang for their game editor tools.

they decided (in 2010) to build their next-gen editor in javascript, with a chrome plugin to render the actual 3d. it's a really interesting read -- they're not going forward with that technology.

340,000 Javascript LOC, ~1,000 files

their opinion of js:

insomniac posted:

● So much pain – a toy language that is still growing up
● undefined is not a function
● Silently breaking other parts of the codebase
● Renaming a function = super high risk
● Adding a parameter? Good luck!
● Relying on grep or IDE searching to fix up references often fails
● Add quick fixes on top and you’ve got a nightmare

their experience with v8:

insomnmiac posted:

Browser crashed in production, randomly
Debugger crashed trying to debug it

they tried using jstree to render some tree views:

insomniac posted:

I would think that performance with a mere 1,000 nodes should be
unnoticeable. However, on my i7 machine with 12 GB ram, it takes
almost a minute and a half in Chrome to drag and drop those 1,000
nodes somewhere else in the tree

nodejs:

insomniac posted:

After light use we lug around 90 MB of deps
● 8,500 files

...i could go on, but you should probably read it for yourselves

their major conclusion though:

insomniac posted:

Lesson: JS needs more rigor than C++, not less
● Suspect this is true in any dynamically typed ecosystem

they've now gone back to C++, using Qt

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 3, 2017

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
i'm the one weird trick for building muscle fast ad popping up over the ui because lol web

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BobHoward posted:

i'm the one weird trick for building muscle fast ad popping up over the ui because lol web

brogrammers reading the postmortem & seeing the ad high five each other and laugh manly bc they dont need that muscle milk