Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope once Scott's done with Alien and Blade Runner, he directs the next Terminator movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

david_a posted:

The Avatar stuff kind of mystifies me because I have no sense of whether people actually care about it as a "franchise." Personally I only saw it once back when it was in theaters (which was 8 years ago) and at the time I was taking medication that severely dried out my eyes so the 3D didn't exactly wow me. I've thought about rewatching it, but... why?

Clearly the suits are excited by the prospect of another mega-bucks franchise but I think it's a possibility the entire thing will collapse spectacularly.

For sequel timeline context,

The Terminator (1984)
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)

Alien (1979)
Aliens (1986)
Alien3 (1992)

9 years is definitely stretching it, especially by how quick film development usually is these days, but it's not that absurd compared to other beloved franchises

Toy Story (1995)
Toy Story 2 (1999)
Toy Story 3 (2010)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It's also that they're going whole-hog with like 4 movies at once. It seems like if it doesn't work, it will really not work.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

It's also that they're going whole-hog with like 4 movies at once. It seems like if it doesn't work, it will really not work.

Cameron will probably bull his way into getting all 4 released no matter what, even if he has to pay for all the marketing and poo poo himself.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
at this point I want Blomkamp's movie to happen just because it makes Alien nerds extremely mad

like y'all realize that the common reaction to Blomkamp's idea in the Alien fandom has been basically incoherent angry screaming, right? it's already the BvS of the series and it hasn't even been made yet

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

at this point I want Blomkamp's movie to happen just because it makes Alien nerds extremely mad

like y'all realize that the common reaction to Blomkamp's idea in the Alien fandom has been basically incoherent angry screaming, right? it's already the BvS of the series and it hasn't even been made yet

I honestly don't have any idea what the Alien fandom is thinking about anything, but if they hate Blomkamp's idea then they're right in this case. It's a dumb idea.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't know what "Alien fandom" means. There were plenty of people who seemed very excited by the idea. Are they not hardcore enough to be considered card-carrying members of The Fandom?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm in the minority you realize. More people love Aliens over Alien, so they want Blomkamp's idiotic fan fic idea to come true because they're still really really mad about something that happened 25 years ago.

Hicks and Newt are dead and loving it!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Most "fans" who are averse to Blomkamp's pitch aren't mad that he wants to reboot the franchise. They're mad that he's not rebooting it in the way their fantasies have played out for the past decade. It's the same reasons why Star Wars "fans" hate the prequels.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No actually you have that backwards.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

More people love Aliens over Alien

This is why Ridley came back the show up Cameron with his alien movie!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

Most "fans" who are averse to Blomkamp's pitch aren't mad that he wants to reboot the franchise. They're mad that he's not rebooting it in the way their fantasies have played out for the past decade. It's the same reasons why Star Wars "fans" hate the prequels.

Can you elaborate on this? What exactly are these fantasies that fans have about rebooting the franchise? From my experience most "fans" love Newt and Hicks and Blomkamp's idea comes off like fan service, so basically the opposite of what you're saying.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ruddiger posted:

It's the same reasons why Star Wars "fans" hate the prequels.

Sometimes I rewatch attack of the clones just to see what true love is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Have you ever tried stand up comedy? Your one liners are really on point.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Basebf555 posted:

Its shock and awe tactics I guess. Just carpet bomb the entire country with Avatar related media and we'll have no choice but to convince ourselves we like it. It will probably work.
You know, I never cared for the original, but since they started enforcing the mandatory Avatar tattoo program, I find myself looking at my Neytiri chest piece in the mirror and getting really amped up for the sequels.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Good. Because it it's the best one out of all 8 movies.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I forgot. Why is Avatar so bad again?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's boring.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

UmOk posted:

Because it had a snoozer of a plot and characters and no one remembers it other than it being pretty.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

UmOk posted:

Its absolutely not bad, it is pretty good. But is it 2+ sequels good? I say no it is not.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

UmOk posted:

It's condescendingly bland.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
At least Avatar is an entertaining movie unlike Prometheus.

I am alittle confused how they set up a school for blue people using the avatars so they could get in touch with the blue people and infiltrate them? Wouldn't they of known that Ripley wasn't a real blue person because she never like joined with the forest?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 2, 2017

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Basebf555 posted:

Its absolutely not bad, it is pretty good. But is it 2+ sequels good? I say no it is not.

But the sequels are going to have brief underwater sections.

No matter how insignificant and fleeting those sections are, James Cameron going back underwater? Sign me the gently caress up.

Between Cameron's Avatar x, Singer and Gans's competing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea films, Mangold's Captain Nemo, and Eubanks' Underwater, I'm looking forward to cinema returning to the sea.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 2, 2017

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The only entertaining thing out of Avatar was someone describing the whole interconnectedness shebang as coconut internet.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Avatar is 2 hours 41 minutes long as well.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I just want to see what Cameron will have been working on for 10 years at that point.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope there's a really subtle and timely political and environmental message this time. Like the main bad guy is orange and wants to make [avatar planet] great for humans again but this time build a huge WALL to keep the blue people out but that's a bad thing to do and it doesn't work and it turns out Governor Orange is both dumb and racist makes u think.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Why do Alien nerds dislike Blommmkammmp's idea for a new film? I recall he hated Alien 3 killing Newt and Hicks, right?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Why do Alien nerds dislike Blommmkammmp's idea for a new film? I recall he hated Alien 3 killing Newt and Hicks, right?

Some people really like alien 3, as the thread title suggests, and the whole thing sounds like really embarrassing "fan service" with a fan-fiction level plot.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Eh not exactly. In my experience, most fans who don't like his idea are fans that think undoing Alien3 is a disservice to a movie that gets less credit than it deserves, and is a hackneyed attempt at pandering that's not much better than poor fan fiction.

Is it possible his movie could have interesting things to say using those characters, and could end up being genuinely good? Absolutely, and if he ended up making his reboot movie then I'd absolutely want it to succeed and be a good movie. It's just that nothing he's said about his idea to date leads me to believe he's doing it for anything other than personal wish fulfillment, and that doesn't make me optimistic.

I love 'Aliens', and Hicks, Newt, and Bishop are great characters and it's sad that they were killed, but I respect Alien3 for trying something different and unexpected, committing to an idea, and sticking with it.

Maybe it's because we got comics 20 years ago about the continuing adventures of Hicks and Newt, and while they were neat at the time, Hicks' arc of "disenfranchised injured vet" doesn't really go anywhere interesting, and Newt stops being interesting in the third arc of the story as well (especially once Ripley shows up and dominates the limelight). In terms of Ripley's growth as a character, Hicks and Newt are much more useful dead than alive.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just hate the idea of fixing what was done wrong, type movies.

Like if you want to get the series back on track sorta like Predators or Prometheus, fine. But when you start messing with the canon solely because you didn't like where the series went with it, then it becomes boring.

It's not that canon is sacred, it's just... there's not much to really do with it that's interesting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its really not about any specific love for Alien 3, its more about the fact that Hicks and Newt are characters from a movie that came out 30 years ago. Rather than look back and try to play off of nostalgia, it would be better to move forward and try to put some creative ideas together that might freshen up the franchise a little bit(I'd argue Prometheus did just that).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Has there ever been a movie that they made the stick in the middle of the film series to redo it? poo poo Star Trek and X Men both did that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Avatar could've used a better bad guy. Like there were enough parallels to Fern Gully, just make the villain a terrifying demonic eldritch oil being voiced by Tim Curry who manifests as a gooey skeleton, it would've left a better impression than the Small Soldiers guy.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

UmOk posted:

It made a robot knife fight boring.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You don't bring a robot holding a knife to a bow fight.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Thing I most remember about Avatar was "unubtamium".

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Despera posted:

This is a dumb thing to complain about.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Despera posted:

Yeah that's about all I remember. How what ever they were mining was just totally hand waved away. What ever, it's super valuable and important stand in for oil and how we died for bush's oil profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I just hate the idea of fixing what was done wrong, type movies.

Like if you want to get the series back on track sorta like Predators or Prometheus, fine. But when you start messing with the canon solely because you didn't like where the series went with it, then it becomes boring.

It's not that canon is sacred, it's just... there's not much to really do with it that's interesting.

If canon isn't sacred then why do you care? It wouldn't erase Alien 3 from existence.

Frankly this kind of thing should be done more often. Tell canon to go gently caress itself and make whatever film you want at whatever point in the timeline you want. If someone wants to do an Alien sequel from the original pitch where the Alien murders Ripley and speaks in her voice, go for it. No reason not to and it could be interesting to see a different take on the concept.

Who cares if someone wants to 'fix' a movie. Let them. We have reboots and prequels and sequels all the time, why do they have to adhere to a canon?