Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

Yeah. Going down another decision tree is interesting. That's my point. It's more interesting than that attack just always landing.

And all I'm saying is that adding another set of choices that ultimately leads to the same end can be tedious instead of interesting.

But yea, the game could use more stuff to do in the maps themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna buy Awakening tomorrow I think. I'd ask the main thread but you guys are knowledgeable, should I play on harder difficulty first? Permadeath is important, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Generic Octopus posted:

And all I'm saying is that adding another set of choices that ultimately leads to the same end can be tedious instead of interesting.

But yea, the game could use more stuff to do in the maps themselves.
I agree that it's pointless if you're just killing enemies, but if there are actual objectives or goals you have to aim for besides 'kill everything, don't die' than adding another set of choices means you have to use up another one of your resources, namely the units you have at your disposal. If you have three turns to get to a village, two horse dudes who can get there in that time, and four enemies in the way, you have horsedude a go to kill one of the enemies so horsedude b can charge into the three other dudes and not get dogpiled as harshly, and horsedude a misses, you have to pick between charging in anyway or slowing down your advance slightly to have horsedude b deal with the one dude himself. it's a balancing act.

Agoat posted:

I'm gonna buy Awakening tomorrow I think. I'd ask the main thread but you guys are knowledgeable, should I play on harder difficulty first? Permadeath is important, right?

play it however you want, you spent money on it. i'd say permadeath is what makes fire emblem interesting but if you don't want to deal with it, you don't have to.

I'd also say start on hard and see if the first few maps are too challenging for you. Restarting that early on isn't that big a deal and awakening's difficulty curve is weird in that the early stuff is pretty challenging for a newbie but the latter stuff is absurdly easy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
if you're new, you should just play normal mode. Awakening has an option to disable permadeath but I think it's more fun with it though :)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Agoat posted:

Hard Casual was a genuinely interesting and fun first run.

Hard Ironman is probably my favourite run of the game ever though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

if you're new, you should just play normal mode. Awakening has an option to disable permadeath but I think it's more fun with it though :)

I would suggest hard (with permadeath) if he is even slightly experienced with tactics/strategy games.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I want the true FE experience. I love a challenge and I've played a few tactics games partially. Heroes is fun but I hate how easy it is right now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

then yeah, go for hard classic

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Nomadic Scholar posted:

My bad, it's been too long since I've played Awakening and I guess I was too lazy to check? How was fates anyway.

The plot in Fates is bad, ranging from bland with notes of dumb in Birthright to mind-bogglingly stupid in Conquest. They brought back marrying your characters so they have babies and then you get to use the babies as units, with no justification other than "Corrin and Azura had a baby, they then shoved the baby in a time locker for a few days and when they came back he was a teenager".

The actual gameplay ranges from good (Birthright) to best-in-series (Conquest). There's a lot of variety in the gameplay, classes, and equipment. They removed weapon durability as a mechanic, though it's not perfectly balanced, because forging makes iron and steel weapons insanely strong with essentially no drawbacks other than material cost of reforging, and the penalties for attacking with silver and brave weapons make them extremely situational at best. Overall, though, every character and class fills an interesting niche and has tactical applications, and the challenges the game presents, especially in Conquest, are a lot of fun to overcome. I also really like the characters a lot, even if the actual plot is bad.

Agoat posted:

I want the true FE experience. I love a challenge and I've played a few tactics games partially. Heroes is fun but I hate how easy it is right now.

If you're willing to practice a little self-control, you can try bronzemanning it instead of ironmanning it. Instead of playing on classic, you can play on casual and just reset if you let a dude die. The difficulty of the missions is the same, but in casual, you get a mid-battle save feature, so you don't have to restart from the beginning when your dudes die. It saves a lot of tedium when you get stuck on a hard mission. There's nothing stopping you from just finishing the mission after a dude dies though so that's why you need to have self control. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

best in series is still thracia, conquest is pretty good tho

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Agoat posted:

Even the devs admit they reset when a unit dies. That's the "true" FE experience. Echoing the idea to play on Casual and still reset if anyone dies. Casual mode is so much less stressful than Classic. I can't go back to permadeath.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So just to confirm, Reinhardt the Thunder lord or whatever dude is in the banner is bad right?

I worked on leveling him to around 20 at 5* and he just feels a little lackluster so far. The new banner people were talking about earlier seems a lot better, though, so maybe I should've saved orbs for that? Hopefully I'll be able to save up a decent amount before it shows up.

On the plus side, I got a 5* Sheena who I imagine isn't particularly good at pvp since she's slow, but holy crap she's durable. Being green and thus mildly squishy versus sword lords seems like an issue though?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Heaven Spacey posted:

If you're willing to practice a little self-control, you can try bronzemanning it instead of ironmanning it. Instead of playing on classic, you can play on casual and just reset if you let a dude die. The difficulty of the missions is the same, but in casual, you get a mid-battle save feature, so you don't have to restart from the beginning when your dudes die. It saves a lot of tedium when you get stuck on a hard mission. There's nothing stopping you from just finishing the mission after a dude dies though so that's why you need to have self control. :v:

Yeah, I pretty much do this anyway. It makes grinding supports ez since you don't have to worry about accidentally killing someone

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I have Reinhardt and he cleans up the maps very easily. But I pair him with Olivia for the +4 atk boost and dance which is what lets him go to town.

He's objectively bad for the arena in its current form because his BST is extremely low though.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I lose advanced arena fights a lot, especially trying to carry Narcian around the past few weeks. I just wanted to say that since apparently it's easy enough for most people that we're just going to post how easy it is instead of strategizing or whatever.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

same

Recently (since like, shadow dragon or so) all the difficulty in the series has been tactical instead of strategic. Thracia was the exact opposite and it was great

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Stagger_Lee posted:

I lose advanced arena fights a lot, especially trying to carry Narcian around the past few weeks. I just wanted to say that since apparently it's easy enough for most people that we're just going to post how easy it is instead of strategizing or whatever.
Post your comp and box sorted by rarity!

Don't think there's much reason to pick Advanced if you are gonna do the carry Narcian method. You can get in a weird stat zone with advanced. I watch my friend regularly get matched with a team of 40s against her team of level 35s and it's all Hector's fault I suspect.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Stagger_Lee posted:

It really depends on your team and what you're facing. The biggest problem right now is the way arena matchmaking works is really bad. Simply swapping out a character could mean you're facing different enemies.

For instance, my team isn't terribly high in total stats so I never ever see Hectors (who I would destroy) but I tend to see Takumi a lot.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Finally got my Nino up to 5*. :toot: Looking forward to wrecking things in the Arena with her once I get her caught back up. She had enough SP saved up to buy both her 5* skills right away.

Next to promote will be Olivia to 4*, and then Sharena and Anna... whenever I get enough feathers, that is.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So is the next banner coming out tomorrow?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
buff alphonse please, he's my favourite and I hate that he's trash.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

sassassin posted:

Does anyone genuinely like Skill, Luck and Hit/Crit/Dodge % chance?

More complexity isn't always better. I'm glad it's dead.

I miss crits because I enjoyed leaving battle animations on for the chance of getting to watch wicked sick crit sprite sequences like in FE6/7/8

I miss 2D animation in general and am a bit of a super robot wars fan, please bring 2D attacks back IS

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Please game, stop rubbing it in my face that i have no armored units by giving me quests to use them.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Nasgate posted:

Please game, stop rubbing it in my face that i have no armored units by giving me quests to use them.

For real. Can't even move on to the Hard & Lunatic quests for more orbs, cause that one is just sitting there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I miss crits because I enjoyed leaving battle animations on for the chance of getting to watch wicked sick crit sprite sequences like in FE6/7/8

Don't special attacks perform the same function?

Putting them on timers adds more strategy than random chance.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nasgate posted:

There's bound to be an armoured quest hero eventually.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Give me Effie banner already game

I have a small stash of orbs to get disappointed with :v:

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
So I rolled a Kagero and from all the hype I heard she seems really lackluster. She can't ever seem to one shot something and everything else seems to kill her on the counter. Am I using her wrong?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

So I rolled a Kagero and from all the hype I heard she seems really lackluster. She can't ever seem to one shot something and everything else seems to kill her on the counter. Am I using her wrong?

what star level is she

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
she needs her poison dagger that's effective against infantry (units on foot). She's probably more useful in arena matches since there's more flyers/cavalries/armors in the training tower than in arena matches where most of the good units are infantry.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Tae posted:

what star level is she

She's 4* but even with poison dagger she seems to underperform

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

I've never played it :( I've only played the GBA games, the Gamecube one, and the 3DS ones.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

My Kagero routinely does 40*2 against infantry with low Def. at level 30. The only thing that gives her trouble is high def stuff, but that's what Olivia is for. Or one-shotting two things in a turn.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Kagero hits her stride at 5*. As someone who can counter the Robins and Takumis of the meta

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

Kagero hits her stride at 5*. As someone who can counter the Robins and Takumis of the meta

Guess I need to grind for the next 15,000 feathers then.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Elvis_Maximus posted:

So just to confirm, Reinhardt the Thunder lord or whatever dude is in the banner is bad right?

I worked on leveling him to around 20 at 5* and he just feels a little lackluster so far. The new banner people were talking about earlier seems a lot better, though, so maybe I should've saved orbs for that? Hopefully I'll be able to save up a decent amount before it shows up.

On the plus side, I got a 5* Sheena who I imagine isn't particularly good at pvp since she's slow, but holy crap she's durable. Being green and thus mildly squishy versus sword lords seems like an issue though?

Rheinhardt is an objectively powerful unit (he kills takumi and most reds/blues before they can respond). But his low stat total means that he'll give you a bad arena score that holds him back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heaven Spacey posted:

I've never played it :( I've only played the GBA games, the Gamecube one, and the 3DS ones.

you should play thracia, it's a cool game with a lot of good mechanical ideas, just a heads up that A) you should look up the gaiden requirements B) early on there'll be a chapter where leif and lifis get thrown in jail and everyone else leaves temporarily, so make sure leif and lifis have an inventory full of swords and stuff and C) make sure to constantly capture enemies to steal their weapons because it's where you get 99.9% of the weapons in the game and you can actually run out if you don't do this

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah the biggest pieces of advice I'd give for thracia are:

1) use a guide, there's all sorts of missable bullshit side objectives that are actually fun once you know about them but are just stupid if you don't
2) don't be a hoarder. The game showers you with cool weapons and staves with interesting effects, use them. It repeatedly throws crazy overpowered poo poo at you, and the expected response is to throw a different piece of overpowered poo poo right back, then capture the enemy doing broken things and steal all their stuff

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Basically if the entrap staff existed in it and the warp tiles were removed from 24x Thracia would be like, the perfect game

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1: remove warp tiles from 24x
2: make the promoted caps higher than 20. not like, a ton higher, but like, 24 str for the str focused classes or 24 speed for swordmasters. just some kinda variance. the low caps are cool but your army is like 80% sword footies with 20s in all stats by the end
3) let the player see the pcc, and also explain that the pcc exists.