Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Kullik posted:

Why are they always like "this guy is the best, he's a real sweetheart and i love him" at the start then "he's actually a super creepy weirdo and i cant stand to be around him anymore"

Cognitive dissonance. That disagreement between what they think should happen and how they really feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

your mom ever tell you if you keep making a face it'll get stuck that way? same principle works for the rictus smile of 'oh god if i express dissatisfaction he'll kill me'

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elsa posted:

Scratch that, you want a comm major.
Comm majors are just sociology majors who can't write more than a couple pages and are bad at stats. :colbert:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

Comm majors are just sociology majors who can't write more than a couple pages and are bad at stats. :colbert:

but get jobs because their dad had one a-waitin' for 'em

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
My gf can post anything on facebook and get at least 50 likes, this is a major source of tension in our relationship.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

My (18F) klepto/drug addict mother (34F) stole/confiscated my vibrator - what do I do?

quote:

So long story short, my mother has been a heroin addict my whole life and I still live with her because I'm a high school senior. I move out at the end of the school year. I had a lock installed on my door, but she somehow manages to get in anyway when I'm not home and takes money, clothes, etc.

Normally I confront her and she returns them, but I just recently discovered that my very expensive (over $100) vibrator is not in the bag I keep it in. Now, I didn't misplace it, because I also kept the instruction manual in the bag and I wouldn't have ever taken that out. No one goes in my room except her, so it's the only explanation.

I don't think she took it to use it shudders, but I think she may have confiscated it. The weird part is that she didn't take my dildo or my lube which were in the same bag. I know she's seen those before though while snooping.

So, Redditors, how the hell do I confront her about this? It's so awkward for me, but also it should be awkward for her. She may say she didn't take it or do something else unreasonable because she's a drug addict. She's taken similar things before, but I was underage and they didn't cost me much so I just forgot about it and told myself I'd hide them better next time. I spent so much money on this though and it's theft now that I'm 18, so I have to get it back. Advice?

how much drug does a used vibrator get you, in dogs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

If we were good at stats we wouldnt have jobs.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My (18F) klepto/drug addict mother (34F) stole/confiscated my vibrator - what do I do?

Could be a lot if she sells it to some dweeb on Reddit. Those dude's buy panties.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Moridin920 posted:

also yeah that's super common there

like a racist chicken pecking order

Yeah I was shocked at the depth of the racism in South America. I was living in Chile at the time, 17 years old. I dumped my girlfriend for being crazy and then found another, next time I saw the first she said "I hope you have a good time with your filthy negrita.

I was like thank you very much, I will.

The weirdest part was that the second girl was maybe possibly a single shade darker than the first. And don't even get me started on the classism, which was the worst I've ever encountered anywhere. Really brings America into perspective when you've seen the racism and classism around the world, not that America isn't still poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brazil is great because they really internalized the like 16 caste heirarchy and it loving shows.

Also great because Japan invited Japanese Brazilians to come to Japan as an increase the population scheme but it turns out Japanese people in Japan cant deal with Brazilian Japanese and the whole program got scrapped and almost all of them brought over were strong armed to leave.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Play posted:

Yeah I was shocked at the depth of the racism in South America. I was living in Chile at the time, 17 years old. I dumped my girlfriend for being crazy and then found another, next time I saw the first she said "I hope you have a good time with your filthy negrita.

I was like thank you very much, I will.

The weirdest part was that the second girl was maybe possibly a single shade darker than the first. And don't even get me started on the classism, which was the worst I've ever encountered anywhere. Really brings America into perspective when you've seen the racism and classism around the world, not that America isn't still poo poo.

One of my high school teachers said, "The Puertorican is racist toward the African American because it makes him feel whiter." Oddly enough, women calling their husbands/boyfriends their "negro" is seen as a term of endearment (in Puerto Rico, said in Spanish). I imagine it's because they "work as hard as a slave" to put food on the table?

e: Also the derisive term "pitiyanqui" (Yankee-lover) for those that hold white Americans in higher regard than the rest of their own people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

is it a punching dog or a kicking dog

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

that guy put on a bunch of shoe polish when it came tiem to type out his girlfriend's voice

Probably because that's how she says them, and I'll take a wild guess that she is actually terminally white. When I was at UCSB I heard white people poorly imitating black culture they picked up from rap songs probably a billion times

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Do not buy drugs in dogs. Please, just stop putting things in dogs.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I think the dog punching thing is getting a little played out. So unless you're going to put in the effort of making a gif of a puppy being punted for a field goal, chill for a bit please

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

never

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
/r/relationships: It's hosed up to watch but the moans are insane

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

quote:

He has serious lows, and never any highs. He gets depressed over things like worrying about the future and if he'll have a job with his major in history,

He won't.

quote:

and if I'll leave him "like everyone else"

You will.

quote:

because I'll find out how much of a "failure" he is. (He's not a failure.)

He is.

Kullik posted:

Why are they always like "this guy is the best, he's a real sweetheart and i love him" at the start then "he's actually a super creepy weirdo and i cant stand to be around him anymore"

They're probably really dumb. (Real answer: you can have more than one feeling at the same time about someone. Even if they seem at odds with one another, they don't actually invalidate each other because emotions are stupid and no one should ever have them.)

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I hit my dog with a taser as I'm about to bust the yelps are amazing

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm pale as hell and I thought that was bad??

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pick posted:

Nah, that means you're rich enough to not work outside. Read Song of Solomon. Dude is hot for dat pale flabby bitch that ain't done no labor. That's thousands of years ago.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

after a certain limit of whiteness you circle around and become black again

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The ol melatonin integer undeflow trick.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I actually have that thing where parts of me look blue

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Pick posted:

So you're a shiny Pokémon then? No wonder you're so popular around these parts.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think the level of paleness where blood vessels can be clearly seen is maybe a little too pale. That being said, I'm in a glass house on that front.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

Only punch dogs browner than you.
I believe the rule is, only punch the dog you love.
And I love all dogs.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
My (26F) fiance (28M) slept with my sister (32F). Heartbroken and devastated. I can't move on.

quote:

submitted 1 year ago by brokenheartedsister

Hi Reddit. I'm posting here in the hope that someone can give me some advice, share their experiences, I don't know. I'm just completely at a loss. I feel like my heart has been ripped out.

My fiance (let's call him Jake) and I have been together for 7 years. I don't know a life without him. I met him at university, we stayed together past graduation, and moved into a flat which we bought together 2 years ago. He proposed last summer and we were set to wed in July 2017. We have had very few problems until now.

My sister (let's call her Sara) is an extremely volatile person. Growing up, I doted on her completely but she had a lot of personal issues that made our home life turbulent. Her childhood was very different to mine. My parents had very little money, they were on the brink of a divorce, my dad was physically violent on a number of occasions. Whilst things improved drastically in the years after I was born, she has an abundance of problems that stem back to this. My parents feel a lot of guilt about Sara's upbringing, and used to let her get away with some shocking behavior.

Sara had the same boyfriend for as long as I can remember (they dated from when they were 16), and their relationship was toxic. They habitually broke up and got back together; when they were good, they were crazy in love. But more often than not, she would have these insane arguments (sometimes physical) with him then take out her frustrations and despair on myself and my parents. I remember spending many nights lying by her side in bed while she cried so hard she would retch. After their arguments, she would throw plates and glasses at the wall, hit herself. Sometimes she would hit me and my parents too. It was like he was a drug to her, and she was emotionally stunted and didn't know how to see anything past their relationship.

2 months ago, her boyfriend called things off for good. I don't know what gave, but after nearly two decades together, he finally had enough. He booked a one way ticket to another country, changed his number, deleted all social media profiles, and essentially disappeared from Sara's life. To this day, she still won't explain what caused this, but it was long overdue.

To say Sara was devastated is an understatement. She moved out of their shared rented apartment, and in with my parents. I would visit her most days after work, where she would flit in between explosive rage to an almost catatonic silence, staring at the wall with tears streaming down her face. At one point, we were all extremely worried she might seriously harm herself and organized for her to see a therapist (something I had suggested for years). Of course, she backed out days before her appointment, and there were no consequences. She is, after all, a grown woman. She just hasn't changed emotionally in the entire time I've known her, and still acts like a teenager.

2 days ago. I went to visit Sara, who was in bed in her darkened room. I let myself in and attempted to speak to her, telling her about my day at work. She immediately exploded, screaming at me, throwing her pillows across the room, crying uncontrollably. She told me life was unfair. That I had everything and she was left alone to "rot". That everything wrong in her life was because she was a bad person. She hurt her boyfriend, she drove him away, she's ruined our family, she hosed Jake and didn't even feel guilty at the time. I initially thought I'd misheard her, but then she said it again. It was like she had poured a bucket of ice water over me.

I silently left, shaking. When I got home, Jake was there watching TV. It came out of my mouth the second I saw him, and I could see in his eyes it was true. He broke down, and told me it had happened 3 years ago. Sara had had another blazing row with her boyfriend and decided to drive round to Jake's looking for me. I was at our parents at the time and Jake attempted to pacify Sara. He comforted her while she sobbed in his arms, and one thing led to another. They had sex.

I packed an overnight bag while he followed me from room to room, sobbing and telling me it was the worst mistake of his life, that he still has no idea how it happened. That he felt unbelievably guilty the second it was over, that it feels like it wasn't even real. I left him in the doorway begging me not to leave.

I've checked into a hotel and have switched my phone off. I don't know what to do, who to tell, where to begin. I feel sick, like this is a bad dream. My heart feels like it's been ripped into a million pieces. For all of Sara's faults, I love her more than anything. It's the two people who are more to me than anyone else in the world.

How the gently caress do I move on from this? I feel like I'm in a bubble. I don't know what's going on in the outside world. All I do is cry and sleep in this room. Someone please help me make sense of this.

tl;dr: My volatile sister recently went through a break up after a 16 year relationship with the love of her life. She is severely depressed and almost catatonic; I went to visit her one day only for her to explode and tell me she slept with my fiance 3 years ago. He admitted it was true and I haven't spoken to a soul since. I have locked myself in a hotel room with no plans of ever coming out. My heart is shattered into a million pieces and I don't know what to do.

bolding is op's, btw.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
just lol if you can't see your internal organs through your translucent slug flesh

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Sister borderline, so what

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

My HS Spanish teacher was a debutante from Nicaragua, and boy did she have some opinions on Mexicans and how they spoke the language. She also had some opinions on poor people. She also let the girl who wore an ankle bracelet to class one day know that only sluts and prostitutes wear ankle bracelets.

She quit halfway through my second year because she met a rich dude and he wanted her to go yachting around the world with him. So she did. Her replacement was the nice Mexican lady who would substitute tech for the class. She had much nicer opinions.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pick posted:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Sisal Two-Step posted:

My (26F) fiance (28M) slept with my sister (32F). Heartbroken and devastated. I can't move on.

bolding is op's, btw.

I went into this one expecting to hate the sister more/as much as the dude (I mean cheating is obviously awful but its a pretty common level of awful in a way loving your sibling's SO isn't) but she's obviously mentally unwell so it's just sort of a sad story.

Least she wasn't married yet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pvt.Scott posted:

Nah, that means you're rich enough to not work outside. Read Song of Solomon. Dude is hot for dat pale flabby bitch that ain't done no labor. That's thousands of years ago.

Nah, you gotta be tn and fit to show that you have the money and time to go to expensive gyms and vacation in tropical paradises

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pick posted:

you're one of the blue people of kentucky?? You need to post an ask/tell

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

ArbitraryC posted:

I went into this one expecting to hate the sister more/as much as the dude (I mean cheating is obviously awful but its a pretty common level of awful in a way loving your sibling's SO isn't) but she's obviously mentally unwell so it's just sort of a sad story.

It doesn't really excuse her actions at all though. She knew it'd destroy her sister.

That woman needs to get away from her fiance and her sister.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Leon Einstein posted:

It doesn't really excuse her actions at all though. She knew it'd destroy her sister.

That woman needs to get away from her fiance and her sister.

I mean she did it to destroy her sister, she hosed him after a fight with her bf to hurt her, and she told her after she broke up to break them up, it was obviously done with malice and it was a clear pattern throughout their relationship. I don't mean to excuse her actions it's just not as easy to write off as them being a terrible person when mental illness is involved, it's just a sad lovely situation. I hope the OP cuts her out of her life for her own sake but I also hope the sister gets medical help.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ArbitraryC posted:

Pretty sure there was a followup where the mom knew about it, as well, which is pretty bad as well!

Something different, title withheld:

quote:

Sorry if this is jumbled with spelling errors or the formatting is wrong but I'm just really upset.

I've been dating Michael for about 2 years. We met through mutual friends who set us up. It's been so far a great relationship with only minor problems, such as me being not too good at communication and him being immature and jealous. But so far things have been good and it's my first healthy relationship. I love him but what he has recently done to me has really depressed me.. I'm so embarrassed and upset and I am genuinely considering a break up for the first time in our relationship.

Michael has always been somewhat immature in that he tends to find gross things like farts burps poop and such to be funny and he's always playing jokes and pranking people. Such as putting kick me signs on people's backs, laxatives in people's foods, and lots of prank phone calling that sometimes goes too far. Like when one time he prank phone called my Father and told him that I had been in a serious car accident and might not make it. Which caused my dad to become very distraught and experience a painful pressure in his chest that sent him to the hospital, because by the time Michael told him it was a joke it was too late. Things like that that I just personally in my own opinion find to be immature. He also never apologizes for his actions and never finds anything he does to be wrong or immature.

This past Friday my best friend Jessica invited Michael and I to a BBQ with all of our closest friends, including the friends who set Michael and I up. I've known some of these people since I was like 14. I was really excited to see them all and just catch up with everyone on how they were doing in life. I was looking forward to this afternoon a lot.

Well, at the Bbq, I was standing around getting some soda and a hot dog, and just talking to my friends, we were all laughing and joking around and catching up on life. Some of the guys were inside watching a football game. Suddenly Michael comes running from inside into the backyard laughing with another guy friend and they start throwing water balloons everywhere. It was actually pretty funny they were just tiny little balloons and everyone was having a good laugh. Then Michael started getting a little bit too hyper with the throwing of the water balloons and ended up hitting Jessica pretty hard in her face with a balloon. He just laughed even more bc I guess he thought the face she made when it happened was funny and he was just like omg look at your face HAHA!

It was this point that he ran over to one of our guy friends Jason and pulled down his pants, including his boxers. Jason was obviously very shocked and said "WTF?"as he pulled up his pants. Michael was just laughing and I guess he felt awkward bc everyone was looking at him. He then ran over to me, knocked my plate out of my hand that had my hot dog on it, and then he pulled my pants down, along with my underwear.

Everyone was staring and it was dead silent and I was so upset I just ran out of the house once I got my pants back on. It was so embarrassing looking at everyone's faces as they watched it happen. Also, I haven't shaved down there in about a month, and I'm just so embarrassed that everyone saw that :( the worst part is that Jessica's parents were outside too and watched everything happen, and now I'm afraid I won't ever be able to look them in the eye again! Ugh :(

I spent most of Saturday crying. Michael has called me several times leaving voicemails asking me if I'm okay and saying "hey don't be upset it was just a joke haha" and I just feel crushed with embarrassment and disappointment. I was so excited about the bbq and seeing my friends and now I'm worried they are all judging me and making fun of me now behind my back. I called Jessica and apologized to her and she said I had nothing to apologize for and that if I needed to talk to her about anything she was here for me. So I'm glad that that friendship is preserved at least.

I now have absolutely no idea how to fix this problem with Michael. I am horrible at communication in relationships and I'm afraid I'll start crying. I want to break up. But I feel it's a stupid reason and that I would be throwing away two years over a small thing. I do love him. But I can't take it anymore.

What do I do ? I

tl;dr: boyfriend of two years pulled down my pants in public as a joke and hasn't apologized to me and I'm afraid this is the end of the relationship. I don't want it to be but I'm so mortified and just not happy :(.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

holy poo poo lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Pretty sure there was a followup where the mom knew about it, as well, which is pretty bad as well!

Here's the update:

quote:

Hi everyone.
I logged on this afternoon to find 300 + replies and messages to my post. I am unbelievably touched by the all people who reached out to me, particularly /u/fractalfay's incredible response which spoke to me on a level I didn't think possible from a stranger. I'd like to thank each and every single person who took the time out of their day for me; I was so overwhelmed that I've not responded to a single one as of yet but it is truly truly appreciated.
Now onto the update.

It has only been a day or so since I made my post, but it feels like I'd been in that hotel room for weeks, crying in the dark buried under the covers. At some point this morning, I decided to draw the curtains open and let the sunlight in. I went and sat on the balcony and switched my phone on for the first time. It started ringing within 30 seconds. It was my mother, who burst into tears as soon as I answered. Her and my parents had obviously been desperately worried (this is the longest I have ever gone without contact) and had even contemplated calling the police had I failed to contact them by this evening.

My mom informed me that as I was walking out of Sara's room, down the stairs, and out the front door, Sara was screaming and wailing that she's sorry. Funnily enough, I didn't hear this. I don't know how. I think I was in such a state of shock that I couldn't process anything around me. Honestly, I can't even remember the drive home. After I shut the door behind me, my mom (who was the only other person at home) rushed into Sara's room to find her trashing her room and attempting to slash her wrists with a blunt lino cutter of all instruments (Sara used to do a lot of art). Obviously, this barely caused a scratch but jump started my mom into action. She drove Sara to the hospital, where I understand she underwent some sort of assessment and was kept overnight. She has, incredibly, agreed to undergo treatment for whatever it is that is wrong with her. My mom was surprised she was so complaisant on the drive down, willingly entering the car and saying nothing other than asking where I am.

Sara seems resigned and completely deflated; my mom spoke to me at length for the first time in my life about the hardships they had undergone during Sara's childhood. I am unwilling to go into detail and am still in shock about some of the things I heard. Sara is not devoid of responsibility; she has long surpassed the age where she can blame her childhood for her behavior, but my mom admitted through tears that not sending her to therapy at an early age was the biggest regret of her life so far.

I asked my mom if she knew why I had left; she admitted that she had known SINCE SARA'S EX LEFT TWO MONTHS AGO. At this point, I had to struggle not to hang up and I suddenly felt myself going back into that pit, but she begged me to listen. After her ex Harry (I am too drained to invent a name...hi Harry) left, Sara told my mom exactly what had happened. It was not the reason for Harry's departure, although he did know about it. Rather, he had had enough of being Sara's carer, and years of begging her to seek help had fallen on deaf ears one too many times. When Sara informed my mom, my mom told Sara I have to know immediately. Sara refused to tell me, and I still don't know why she changed her mind in that moment. My dad doesn't know for anyone wondering, and thinks I've left as I've also finally had enough of Sara's behavior.

Now here is where the home truths came out. I asked my mom if she knew the details. She was reluctant to tell me anything, stating that it had happened and that was all I needed to know. But I told her I refused to step foot in the house until I knew everything. She then proceeded to tell me that a few months before they slept together, Sara and Jake had kissed at my dad's 60th birthday party. It was a large family gathering with a lot of alcohol involved. I remember Jake getting very drunk with my cousins. Sara had a crying tantrum prior to arriving as her and Harry had an argument and he refused to come (she called me sobbing before she arrived). At some point during the night, Jake asked her if she was okay and hugged her, and once again "one thing led to another" and they shared a kiss in the kitchen. Sara told my mom that they were both immediately remorseful and vowed never to speak of it again, but Sara deliberately sought him out the night they slept together knowing he was unlikely to turn her down. She openly admitted she did it to get back at Harry, who had cheated on her during one of their many infamous breaks. I don't think I even entered her thoughts.

At this point, I'd heard enough. We'd spoken on the phone for over four hours and I felt mentally drained and physically sick. Any hope I had of salvaging my relationship with Jake has completely gone. I feel the last 3 years have been tainted by their betrayal, and the many years before that I wonder: did he like Sara this whole time? Part of me doesn't even want to know.

It's worth noting he has made absolutely no attempt to contact me other than a single TEXT stating "I'm sorry. Take as long as you need". As if it's inevitable I will come back to him.

Things are still up in the air. I don't feel ready to check out of the hotel as I don't know where I'm going to go next. I feel my relationship with my mom has been rocked by these revelations. I don't know what's going to become of Sara. I have no idea what I'm going to do about me and Jake's flat, where I'm going to live. I don't even know if I have a job anymore. I just haven't showed up to work.

But I know the truth and the smallest part of me is grateful for that. The rest of me is consumed by a pain I never imagined possible.

I guess there's nothing else to do now except wait and see how things unfold. But reading through your comments and messages have been more help than you can imagine, thank you thank you thank you.
And for anyone who has have ever experienced symptoms like Sara's, or has been around someone who is so visibly troubled, I beg of you: seek help before it's too late.

tl;dr: I had a four hour conversation with my mom, who not only knew about Sara and Jake, but informed me that they had shared a kiss a few months prior to the event. I am still in the hotel, still heart broken, and have no idea what to do next. The only saving grace is that Sara has agreed to treatment and will not be in my life for the foreseeable future.