Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I've already seen it called the Carter Capps Rule so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
What does that "no markers on the field for reference to fielders" thing mean?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Your Taint posted:

It means that hill in center field for the Astros is finally illegal like God intended.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Your Taint posted:

Teams were using laser pointers to position outfielders last season.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

Wasn't there some team, I want to say the Royals, that was marking different fielder alignments with paint in the outfield last year?

E: Dodgers with a laser pointer.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Pancakes posted:

Wasn't there some team, I want to say the Royals, that was marking different fielder alignments with paint in the outfield last year?

It was the Dodgers I think. They were using a laser range finder in pregame drills and then leaving markers.

Now teams will just have to make divots in the grass.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^
e. Yes it was the Dodgers. I remember because it came up when the manager of the other team noticed it and threw a big sad over technology ruining the game and giving an unfair advantage. It was still in the news cycle when the Dodgers came to Wrigley to play the Cubs, and when they asked Joe about it expecting him to add fuel to the fire, he was just kind of like "uh... who cares? Sounds pretty smart, actually." and then the media (mostly) shut up about it.

howe_sam posted:

Teams were using laser pointers to position outfielders last season.

Weren't they only doing it before games as part of pre-game drills though? Is the rule targeted towards that, or is it only saying you can't use markers during the course of play? Because the latter makes total sense while the former is dumb as hell.

Grittybeard posted:

Didn't people drool over Mark Prior's mechanics too before Dusty Baker killed him? Maybe it wasn't Prior, I remember hearing a lot about it with one of the guys in those Baker Cubs rotations.

Prior's mechanics were touted by scouts as being "the perfect delivery" and being absolutely effortless. Then as soon as he got injured Actual DoctorsTM pointed out he was actually torquing the every loving poo poo out of his pitching elbow.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 2, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

I've already seen it called the Carter Capps Rule so yeah

I expect he'll be grandfathered in, though, otherwise the MLBPA might well have hosed him out of a lucrative career.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Good, end Carter Capps' stupid hop and next we can end Urias' stupid illegal pickoff move.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

^
e. Yes it was the Dodgers. I remember because it came up when the manager of the other team noticed it and threw a big sad over technology ruining the game and giving an unfair advantage. It was still in the news cycle when the Dodgers came to Wrigley to play the Cubs, and when they asked Joe about it expecting him to add fuel to the fire, he was just kind of like "uh... who cares? Sounds pretty smart, actually." and then the media (mostly) shut up about it.

Weren't they only doing it before games as part of pre-game drills though? Is the rule targeted towards that, or is it only saying you can't use markers during the course of play? Because the latter makes total sense while the former is dumb as hell.

Prior's mechanics were touted by scouts as being "the perfect delivery" and being absolutely effortless. Then as soon as he got injured Actual DoctorsTM pointed out he was actually torquing the every loving poo poo out of his pitching elbow.

Well that, plus staying in the game after taking that liner off his pitching elbow, and the collision at 2b with Marcus Giles didn't help matters either.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It means that hill in center field for the Astros is finally illegal like God intended.

They already bulldozed it out of existence, dude.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Didn't Prior's implosion also basically wreck the coaching career of Tom House?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

Everyone touted Matt Moore at having perfect mechanics and free and easy mid 90s fastballs and he got TJS. I don't know how much I still by in to pitching mechanics for injuries. Maybe for repeatability and stuff but not for TJS.

At this point I don't think mechanics mean dick-all for TJS stuff or you'd see some kind of correlations happening. This is not a small or under-examined data set.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

At this point I don't think mechanics mean dick-all for TJS stuff or you'd see some kind of correlations happening. This is not a small or under-examined data set.

Pretty much. The fact of the matter is that pitching is an inherently unnatural and violent motion, and things are going to break.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

Pretty much. The fact of the matter is that pitching is an inherently unnatural and violent motion, and things are going to break.

The actual overhand throw isn't unnatural at all, really. Throwing a baseball at 98mph 90 times in a row gets there, though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Good Dog posted:

It was the Dodgers I think. They were using a laser range finder in pregame drills and then leaving markers.

Now teams will just have to make divots in the grass.
This. Guarantee the Dodgers will still use laser range finders pre-game to determine their reference points for OF positioning, and then the players will just put divots into the grass with their cleats.

I guess this is an improvement over a small spray-painted tuft of grass because....?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've stopped paying attention to Carter Capps after the Mariners traded him. Is he still a decent reliever?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

seiferguy posted:

I've stopped paying attention to Carter Capps after the Mariners traded him. Is he still a decent reliever?

TBD as of today

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Imagine coming this close to making it in the big leagues and MLB creates a rule specifically to gently caress you over, lol.

I mean it definitely should be against the rules because it's obviously a big advantage for the pitcher. You'd think one of his coaches along the way would have sat him and down and tried to convince him to move to a more regular pitching style just in case this sort of thing happened. Like there was no way he was gonna get away with it forever.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Dansby Dingers :getin:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/837373789499449344

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I will laugh so hard if it turns out the Padres posting this tweet inadvertently got one of their own players' deliveries outlawed:

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/831917274227281920

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
That is so obviously not OK.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

They already bulldozed it out of existence, dude.

The worst day :sigh:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

lol has a persons entire career been effectively ended by a rule change before? The odds of this fringe reliever dude relearning his delivery from scratch seems extremely low.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Lots of dudes when they started testing for steroids ;)

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
God I hated the loving Price deal when it was signed and I hate it even more now. Thank christ we finally blew our prospect load on another frontline pitcher in Sale or we'd be turbofucked right out of the gate. And truth be told it's not looking rosy after Sale and Porcello anyway.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So uh

Just saw this exchange

https://twitter.com/JasonKander/status/836575761830195200

https://twitter.com/gehrig38/status/836576640306118656

https://twitter.com/JasonKander/status/836577860055871489

:thurman:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jesus loving Christ schilling

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

lol has a persons entire career been effectively ended by a rule change before? The odds of this fringe reliever dude relearning his delivery from scratch seems extremely low.

I was going to say spitballers but even they were grandfathered in.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I feel like Capps' and Walden's deliveries should be grandfathered in. Brutal to expect them to alter their mechanics several years into their big league careers.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

NiceGuy posted:

God I hated the loving Price deal when it was signed and I hate it even more now. Thank christ we finally blew our prospect load on another frontline pitcher in Sale or we'd be turbofucked right out of the gate. And truth be told it's not looking rosy after Sale and Porcello anyway.

On the other hand if there is a team that can support a ridiculously bad SP contract its probably the red sox. You just had several world series wins in the past 10 years, and right now you have one of the best cores of young, cost controlled position players in the game.

SlumPrincess
Jan 1, 2006

Soon....soon I'm gonna make you a star

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

rule changes for 2017:

Could the way the Cards often mow the Arch onto the grass be considered a marker on the field? If so, gently caress that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

SlumPrince posted:

Could the way the Cards often mow the Arch onto the grass be considered a marker on the field? If so, gently caress that.

I highly doubt they would go that far. It would also apply to a lot of other teams too if that was the case.

It's really just to stop blatant cases.

SlumPrincess
Jan 1, 2006

Soon....soon I'm gonna make you a star

Popete posted:

I highly doubt they would go that far. It would also apply to a lot of other teams too if that was the case.

I hope so, but the wording of it seems vague enough that it could be interpreted as any team with a unique field feature is cheating (what if there are markers within the Cubs' ivy signaling player where to stand!). A rule like that seems incredibly open to interpretation.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

patonthebach posted:

On the other hand if there is a team that can support a ridiculously bad SP contract its probably the red sox. You just had several world series wins in the past 10 years, and right now you have one of the best cores of young, cost controlled position players in the game.

Oh to be sure, my bitching is very much relative. I still like the team a lot, I'm just not 100% sold on both Porcello and Sale putting up ~3.00 ERAs (Porcello due to regression, Sale due to whatever hocus pocus seems to cause disappointing first years in Boston) and if any of our young position players take a step back they're really going to need them to be something like that. I have this weird fear that Pomeranz's arm could fall off any day now too so I'm anxious, but not overly dismayed or anything.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

Yeah. Just about everybody kicks some divots into the outfield grass while they're out there and if it's too loose a rule your going to end up penalizing guys who do it when they're bored along with guys who have a divot for every guy in the batting order.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Why the gently caress are they banning outfield markers? Who cares. Is it because positioning players cuts down on offense?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

I will laugh so hard if it turns out the Padres posting this tweet inadvertently got one of their own players' deliveries outlawed:

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/831917274227281920

To be fair, everyone has known about his weird delivery since he got traded to the Marlins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Sure they've known about it, but having his own team post how illegal it is in graphic detail is an impressive move on their part.

• Locked thread