Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

angry armadillo posted:

no no, I work in a prison, it's not as bad as that.

I'd actually like to hear about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
without intending to distract from the thread, feel free to ask away

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

angry armadillo posted:

no no, I work in a prison, it's not as bad as that.

:eyepop:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

angry armadillo posted:

without intending to distract from the thread, feel free to ask away

Well I have no specific questions, I'm just curious what running IT in a prison is like, especially in america.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I'm UK based.

I don't think it is particularly different from anywhere else, I'd particularly compare it to somewhere like the medical industry where data has to be very highly protected, the advantage that we have here is if there is a disaster everyone gets thrown in their cells whilst we sort it out so it isn't the end of the world when a crisis kicks in.

I was also asking about the banking sector the other day and the point of governance came up - there is a lot of that, I get the impression there are a few people who work for the DoD with clearance, which is kinda similar to the way we work.

Interestingly I did some work in Australia (I work for a private company, not the Gov.) , the prisons over there are very similar to the way we do things in the UK - but both appear very different to what you see on TV regarding the US prison system.

Although, we do have a program that just finished over here called '60 days in jail' where they put some members of the public in Jail to "find out where the drugs are coming from" (Or profit from making a TV program, who could say?!) and I did get excited (in a very sad way) to discover the US use a touch screen kiosk system for commissary as we do something similar here too! :D

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

angry armadillo posted:

I'm UK based.

I don't think it is particularly different from anywhere else, I'd particularly compare it to somewhere like the medical industry where data has to be very highly protected, the advantage that we have here is if there is a disaster everyone gets thrown in their cells whilst we sort it out so it isn't the end of the world when a crisis kicks in.

I was also asking about the banking sector the other day and the point of governance came up - there is a lot of that, I get the impression there are a few people who work for the DoD with clearance, which is kinda similar to the way we work.

Interestingly I did some work in Australia (I work for a private company, not the Gov.) , the prisons over there are very similar to the way we do things in the UK - but both appear very different to what you see on TV regarding the US prison system.

Although, we do have a program that just finished over here called '60 days in jail' where they put some members of the public in Jail to "find out where the drugs are coming from" (Or profit from making a TV program, who could say?!) and I did get excited (in a very sad way) to discover the US use a touch screen kiosk system for commissary as we do something similar here too! :D

What do you do if the cell door control software from the 90s has a bug?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
door control what? Keys man!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

angry armadillo posted:

door control what? Keys man!

But that's the coolest part in american prison movies, when they open all doors in unison with that blarring beep.

Then again, our prisons are really boring and lame, been to both a psychiatric and 'normal' one. Honestly I feel bad for both inmates and guards, it's loving hot in there in summer and the building is really old so literally no AC for anyone.
Was kinda cool to ride up to the prison gate in the middle of the night and have it open from like 100 meters away.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 1, 2017

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
to be fair that would happen here - the vehicle gate is controlled by a PC and 'opens itself' but luckily that is probably 1 of the only computers I'm not responsible for :D

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

angry armadillo posted:

to be fair that would happen here - the vehicle gate is controlled by a PC and 'opens itself' but luckily that is probably 1 of the only computers I'm not responsible for :D

How many systems ARE you responsible for, roughly, and do they keep current on upgrades, or do they stick with decade+ old machines because...?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
we have a network that the staff use to email/file/print/usual stuff, so I'm responsible for the servers/desktops/laptops
on that network we have some bespoke ish software used to manage the jail which also serves the touch screen kiosks I mentioned that prisoners use to manage their lives inside the jail so they can buy commissary (or canteen as we call) make their food choices, book visits, make applications to the staff for stuff (etc etc etc) - the idea prior to this system everything in jail was a sheet of paper, so by digitalising it, it becomes more efficient. ultimately they are just SFF PCs in a vandal proof box and they don't get vandalised as the prisoners know if they stop everyone else from booking their visits they will probably get some pain going their way haha.

I'm also responsible for telephony, CCTV, TV systems (for all the cells) alarm systems amongst probably other things I can't remember.

pretty much everything that has a plug on it but is beyond an electrician :D

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Anyone know off the top of their head if there's an easy way to selectively restore volumes of a VM in Veeam?

Like if I only want to restore Disk 0, and not Disk 1.

edit: vvv-I'll look into it, thanks.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 1, 2017

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Yes, this is possible, at least in 9.5. There is a virtual disk restore wizard.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I worked at the local county jail and it was super relaxing and low stress. My jurisdiction was just the medical department and sadly I wasted prime study time. The biggest hassle is budgeting and trying to get replacement equipment since everything has to be approved of by commissioners court. Jail is a very abusive environment and poo poo wears down twice as fast as any other.

The stories from nurses were by far the best. Also lol to the inmate that was browsing facebook on one of the nurse EMR carts. HIPAA audit would be a disaster

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

Jail is a very abusive environment and poo poo wears down twice as fast as any other.

That would include me, not sure how you found it relaxing. Different people like different things, I guess.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That would include me, not sure how you found it relaxing. Different people like different things, I guess.

Got in during the refresh and implementation of the EMR system :cool:

My "office" was right next to a cell pod. Constant fights, shakedowns, and various conversations from passersby made for a different and enjoyable work environment when not doing something.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

George H.W. oval office posted:

Got in during the refresh and implementation of the EMR system :cool:

My "office" was right next to a cell pod. Constant fights, shakedowns, and various conversations from passersby made for a different and enjoyable work environment when not doing something.

So how secure is your office in case of a riot? :downs:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That doesn't concern you.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

So how secure is your office in case of a riot? :downs:

We are a private prison, so we get the government InfoSec people asking us all sorts to assure themselves we are not a risk of data breach etc... but the people they said aren't really from a prison background so sometimes they don't really get that it's a secure environment...

On one visit, this guy asks me 'are these locks suitable for holding restricted data?'

My answer- 'They keep murderers away from the public, I'll let you decide'

It didn't go down well but I think I made my point :D

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Actually I'm pretty sure a lot of prisons have outdated and lovely physical security. But with some guards and 10 doors you can still stop people from getting away.

Also, I don't think it's inherently secure IT-wise, because imo guards and other 'authorized personnel' have no business getting at my IT infrastructure ;)

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://aws.amazon.com/message/41926/

quote:

At 9:37AM PST, an authorized S3 team member using an established playbook executed a command which was intended to remove a small number of servers for one of the S3 subsystems that is used by the S3 billing process. Unfortunately, one of the inputs to the command was entered incorrectly and a larger set of servers was removed than intended.

:rip:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's awesome.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

That's awesome.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
new thread title

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Working in IT 3.0: "This is probably still okay"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wJQEHNYE7M&t=784s

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For posting that you can have another look at his cabling efforts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAI0G2xcD9k

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

Why are they using l33t gamer mobos in their servers. Why is he angle grinding rails while they are attached to the server. Why are these people getting money from people to do this.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_666 posted:

Why are they using l33t gamer mobos in their servers. Why is he angle grinding rails while they are attached to the server. Why are these people getting money from people to do this.
Because that's who he wants to get free hardware from, because he's a dangerous idiot, because capitalism.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Why are these people getting money from people to do this.

This question came up many times in my head while watching his few videos.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's like a video series on an Xtreme Tech Shoppe!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Why is he angle grinding rails while they are attached to the server.

linustechtips.jpg

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Working in IT 4.0: as long as they keep manufacturing idiots we all still have jobs

mewse
May 2, 2006

A man, a plan, a dremel, a disaster

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I took a dremel to a graphics card once. Not something I am particularly proud of, but hey it still worked.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Internet Explorer posted:

I took a dremel to a graphics card once. Not something I am particularly proud of, but hey it still worked.

Was is still plugged into the mobo at the time?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No, I'm not quite that bad rear end. Didn't have a cigar hanging out of my mouth either.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Thanks Ants posted:

New thread title

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Working in IT 3.0: "It's almost like we care"

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
He plug-converted a nema locking plug to a non-locking plug... for his PDU

He velcro'd his access points to the 30' ceiling instead of just mounting them anywhere remotely close to where the client devices will be

Inspector_666 posted:

That cpu cooler is completely blocked by the case's cover.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 2, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The idea of purchasing a PDU without knowing where it's connecting to, and what is connecting to it, and therefore ordering the correct plug/outlet combo is completely alien to me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I had a predecessor do his own wiring modifications on a battery once. Basically hand-wiring a NEMA L6-30P to the UPS (I have no loving clue why this was needed). The problem is that he stripped too much of the insulated sheathing so the only thing stopping it from completely electrifying the rack was the non-insulated sheathing around each individual wire. I actually think I may have a picture floating around somewhere.

[Edit: I showed it to my boss and told him that, yes, my predecessor was indeed trying to kill me and not just my sanity.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
On day 4 of my new job, pretty bored so far. I learned about the $80 BYOD Cell stipend yesterday, and there was a surprise employee appreciation continental breakfast with really good fruit this morning.

On the first day I walked in to a brand new i7/16GB/SSD desktop with triple monitors on my desk and an equivalent laptop in the bag next to it. Coworkers are great, it's a pretty well run large IT department in a well run company that makes money, and i'm getting poo poo done even before my boss asks me to do it.

On Monday I'm jumping in to learn/help with a new UCS chassis install.

I think I'm finally in a pod. :ohdear: