Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

TheChirurgeon posted:

I haven't, but I'll take a deeper look this weekend. A cursory glance looks like a lot of "not enough room for advancement," which doesn't surprise me given how long the execs have hung around there.

I'd say the bigger problem is the sexism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lets Pickle posted:

Signets in at uncommon, not sure if that was mentioned.

holy poo poo that's a lot of fixing in one set. They're really going all in on making shards (and probably 4-5 color decks) draftable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Mishra's Bauble would make for a great FNM promo...

Fatal Push would too.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ThePeavstenator posted:

The strident and repeated mentioning of their inclusiveness points to the opposite, I agree.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Do you all think stores will be giving out MM17 packs as prizes for MM17 drafts? If so, that makes understanding this limited format a very valuable thing.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The strident and repeated mentioning of their inclusiveness points to the opposite, I agree.

If we're specifically talking about glassdoor reviews, that is a problem that apparently exists internally

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

TheChirurgeon posted:

honestly I'm curious as to which sets you think were bad vs good, since you think the last what, 5? 10? years have been a horrible disaster?

I don't really care to itemize my grievances or whatever you're looking for, I'm just saying that they have made decisions and actions that myself and others disagree with in multiple areas, and to spring to their defense at one criticism and just deflect it as a one-off mistake seems pretty delusional to me based on how I see people talk about the game

The game is still fine but some of these decisions have caused me to stop playing it anywhere near as much I did a few years ago, and I'm not trying to attack you for continuing or anything lmao

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Entropic posted:

holy poo poo that's a lot of fixing in one set. They're really going all in on making shards (and probably 4-5 color decks) draftable.

Gotta make that payoff for blood moon :v:

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, next year Mishra's Bauble can be printed at uncommon and drop down to 4 dollars.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Smashing Link posted:

Do you all think stores will be giving out MM17 packs as prizes for MM17 drafts? If so, that makes understanding this limited format a very valuable thing.

xmage/cockatrice. there's no replacement for actual reps

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Hellsau posted:

Lol what? One of the versions (ios?) literally did not function for weeks, the PC version would routinely disconnect you (no prize for either player) and I stopped playing because I had two of my three missions fail - one went to 5/4 games played with X deck, and the other just didn't count matches played with Y deck. I'm the kind of idiot that would have paid money to them if their poo poo worked and their poo poo did not work.

Did they ever get an Android version?

pretty sure he is refering to the first one or two versions that were console games. they were good and attracted quite a few people to the game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Drafting this set is going to be a mess what with everyone just grabbing value.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

Well, next year Mishra's Bauble can be printed at uncommon and drop down to 4 dollars.

There won't be a MM set next year.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My friends and my plan is to just do team sealed with individual people's boxes. The person who brought the box keeps everything to avoid feelbads. Repeat with other people's boxes. Better support to play the archetypes and no worries about what you take out of packs.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Soul Glo posted:

Or people just bringing packs for the whole pod and taking all the cards at the end.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Soul Glo posted:

The set explicitly supports it to the point I'm guessing the default draft strategy is "draft the best cards in 4 colors." There's 10 duals at common, presumably Shimmering Grotto at common, and 15 uncommon fixers. The only way I don't see that being the strategy is if the power level at common and uncommon is super low or super synergistic compared to the stuff we've seen.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 2, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Hellsau posted:

Their market research should be considered completely flawed, given the amount of panic WotC has shown with regards to how they've handled Standard in the last two years. They don't get to the point they have with their main attraction without having some extremely incorrect assumptions made due to misusing focus group data. Standard was on life support, and they've

A) printed more lotto tickets in Standard packs (good)
B) printed special packs for playing standard, that may contain those lotto tickets (strange but all upside for players who want to play standard)
C) banned cards in standard (bad precedent, especially when we aren't in a Caw-Blade or Affinity one-deck standard situation)
D) printed special cards and products, outside of FNM promos, to encourage WPN shops to host more standard (okay that's weird, focusing on standard during the time period when they release a Modern focused product)
E) done a whole bunch of stupid poo poo on Twitter. All posts they've made with #WotCStaff would be, on average, better for the company if they were all never posted in the first place.

After the research is done, someone still has to interpret it and make a decision about it, and that won't always be what the research suggests. Additionally, what gamers want may not align with the company's priorities. I'd rather the game not be collectible. That seems counter to their goals of making a profit, though.

I'm straight-up not qualified to judge whether standard is healthy, nor whether banning cards in standard is good/bad for the health of the format, so I won't comment there. My general take on tournaments from what I've read (it's been a few years since my tournament regular days) and seen and has been published over the years is that modern players overestimate the popularity of their format and think they're a larger group than Standard players, who overestimate their size, and think they're a larger group than casual/"kitchen table" players, who actually make up the bulk of the game's customers. But it's been a while since I've seen anything approaching numbers on this, so I could be wrong.

e: the point is, even if WotC is making the *wrong* decision from their research, they still have that when they make the decision, vs. random person with no insight into their sales/profit numbers or the research

quote:

Lol what? One of the versions (ios?) literally did not function for weeks, the PC version would routinely disconnect you (no prize for either player) and I stopped playing because I had two of my three missions fail - one went to 5/4 games played with X deck, and the other just didn't count matches played with Y deck. I'm the kind of idiot that would have paid money to them if their poo poo worked and their poo poo did not work.

Did they ever get an Android version?

Which version are you talking about? When I said "good for a while," I think it was pretty clear I meant "the first couple iterations." I don't think I picked it up after 2013. Also should have been obvious that I didn't think it was still good. But it was a strong intro product when it came out. I know people who got into Magic playing it, which seems like the ultimate goal of the product.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm not about to leave a review on Glassdoor just to see the second page, but this doesn't surprise me. Though it's not some super-rare occurrence on the West Coast either, unfortunately

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 2, 2017

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

gwrtheyrn posted:

Or people just bringing packs for the whole pod and taking all the cards at the end.

This is what I'm doing with my boxes. A friend is moving to San Diego, so we're going to have a big limited blowout before he goes...Cube and MM3 drafts all day!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm straight-up not qualified to judge whether standard is healthy, nor whether banning cards in standard is good/bad for the health of the format, so I won't comment there. My general take on tournaments from what I've read (it's been a few years since my tournament regular days) and seen and has been published over the years is that modern players overestimate the popularity of their format and think they're a larger group than Standard players, who overestimate their size, and think they're a larger group than casual/"kitchen table" players, who actually make up the bulk of the game's customers. But it's been a while since I've seen anything approaching numbers on this, so I could be wrong.

Standard showdown was created because no one was showing up to play standard.

Kitchen table players are important but they spend the least amount per capita. In software if you're doing a FTP app/game your most important customers are the "whales" who spend ludicrous amounts of money and also are the fewest in number. I don't know how well that translates to MTG.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

First picking Blood Moon, y'all can suck it

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

St0rmD posted:

First picking Blood Moon, y'all can suck it

First picking Blood Moon, revealing it before each game to your opponent, and not playing it. The true Bushido way.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I don't see how any local draft isn't going to be "Oh poo poo! I just pulled a X!"

So that's pretty good for a bit of an edge.

We're probably not going to draft it more than twice though because $$$.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

odiv posted:

I don't see how any local draft isn't going to be "Oh poo poo! I just pulled a X!"

So that's pretty good for a bit of an edge.

We're probably not going to draft it more than twice though because $$$.

Every MMA draft I've ever played is an "Oh poo poo! I just pulled X" draft. I think people are overestimating how hard it will be to find a game or two. I don't think the final EV will turn out well above MSRP of a pack.

Although most of my MMA drafts I've actually played are on MTGO.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ThePeavstenator posted:

Standard showdown was created because no one was showing up to play standard.

Kitchen table players are important but they spend the least amount per capita. In software if you're doing a FTP app/game your most important customers are the "whales" who spend ludicrous amounts of money and also are the fewest in number. I don't know how well that translates to MTG.

I know how app dev works for FTP. Magic complicates things because your "whales" tend to buy singles and think about poo poo like pack EV, while your kitchen table gamers and limited players seem like much bigger drivers of actual product purchases, so I'm not 100% sure how that translates to MTG.

Re: Standard Showdown, it's not even clear to me *why* Standard was struggling? Clearly someone at WotC thought bannings would help, and I can see how Standard Showdown might help.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheChirurgeon posted:

After the research is done, someone still has to interpret it and make a decision about it, and that won't always be what the research suggests. Additionally, what gamers want may not align with the company's priorities. I'd rather the game not be collectible. That seems counter to their goals of making a profit, though.

If you believe standard players are still the larger group you haven't been paying attention to the information we have access to.

Hell, EDH might be the largest group of players at this point for any LGS well before its standard across the board.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Re: Standard Showdown, it's not even clear to me *why* Standard was struggling? Clearly someone at WotC thought bannings would help, and I can see how Standard Showdown might help.

It was struggling because standard since battle of zendikar came out has been really bad. Players switch to modern/EDH pretty heavily in this time. Once they switched there hasn't been much reason for them to come back. Standard, while better than it was a set ago, is still not that appealing.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 2, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

If you believe standard players are still the larger group you haven't been paying attention to the information we have access to.

Hell, EDH might be the largest group of players at this point for any LGS well before its standard across the board.

I'd believe that. I'm pretty sure I typed "I could be wrong" right there in my post

e: What would still surprise me though is to find that Modern players were actually a larger group than Standard. I totally believe that EDH players are everywhere, but I tend to think of them as part of the "Kitchen table" group, for whatever reason

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

TheChirurgeon posted:

Cards were/are under-powered except for the "super important story cards that we want to see play and are pushed for constructed". You had 2 decks to choose from that built themselves and were also very expensive.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

I think people are overestimating how hard it will be to find a game or two.
I'm not sure what you mean here, but based on drafts in general here and past Masters sets, I know how much it will be drafted at my LGS (not much, unfortunately).

edit: Re: standard struggling, the previous standard was super expensive too, wasn't it? Fetches, Jaces, etc. After that rotated out some people might have re-examined what they were spending and taken a step back.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

ThePeavstenator posted:

First picking Blood Moon, revealing it before each game to your opponent, and not playing it. The true Bushido way.

First picking Blood Moon, laying it face up on the table for the whole draft. And not playing it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ThePeavstenator posted:

Cards were/are under-powered except for the "super important story cards that we want to see play and are pushed for constructed". You had 2 decks to choose from that built themselves and were also very expensive.

I get all that (not out of the loop on Magic, I just don't go to tournaments these days), but then I see

Hellsau posted:

C) banned cards in standard (bad precedent, especially when we aren't in a Caw-Blade or Affinity one-deck standard situation)

and I wonder--is banning cards to open up the format bad, or just setting a bad precedent? If certain cards are killing the format, I'd worry less about whether it's a bad precedent to ban cards in Standard than the health of the format

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I just hope that the EMA surprise reprint is able to quell some of the greed that comes along with these sets. When I first started playing there was an LGS that did MM15 drafts for like $40 with the prize support being rare redrafts.

I learned about who actually owns draft packs too. A lady opened a Goyf and foil Karn and the shop owner told her she couldn't buy a new pack (because he wanted to sit on some of the boxes he was allocated) so she left the draft at the start of pack 2 in tears.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Not mad, but still a little meh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Not mad, but still a little meh.

Super fun to play against in limited.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Yall gonna really spend 50 dollars to draft?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Super fun to play against in limited.

Most of the Mythics in this set are dumb to play against in limited. Would I rather play against Olivia or BONFIRE? Let's ask Brian Kibler.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Nope, but I will defer my standard packs for a modern masters one for FNM and other events.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

3 packs has an EV of like $60-70. That will go down but the value is not top-heavy and the format looks like it could be really fun.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Nah, but I'll buy a box and draft with friends

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

3 packs has an EV of like $60-70. That will go down but the value is not top-heavy and the format looks like it could be really fun.

I'm not really sure it won't be a poo poo-show, really. It seems super bomby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I'll do it once, at the very least I'll get to crack some packs.

• Locked thread