Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kanna makes me laugh pretty much every time she's on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

a kitten posted:

Kanna makes me laugh pretty much every time she's on screen.

(Although, goddamn the Lucoa plot line is terrible, gross, and playing something horrible for cheap laughs. Wish it wasn't in the show.)

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
I just thought of something, how does Lucoa get her hat on?

EDIT: upon second thought, it's probably "It's my scales" like everything else.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Lucoa plotline definitely seems like it doesn't fit in the show. Fafnir, he moves in with the guy, next time we see them we see how they live and get the confession and everything. Lucoa, she moves in with Shota, and every time after that, it's just boobs. All the other characters have stories about how they're getting something they need from these relationships, and it seemed like they were setting it up with Lucoa, when Shota said he didn't need her magic or boobs, it's like, OK, she's going to discover what she can offer another person emotionally, that's gonna be her story. But instead, all we get is boobs.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the luccoa stuff is dumb but it was like a combined twenty seconds out of the whole episode and i don't think there's much they could do with her and shouta that i would find as interesting or fun as the rest of the cast so i can't really begin to care

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
The images were :lol:
The bear paw on his face made me laugh pretty good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fafnir going all only to get shut the gently caress down by Kobayashi was great

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Fafnir going all only to get shut the gently caress down by Kobayashi was great

I like that she didn't even make it about shouting him down so much as shrugging him off. The episode did a ton of stuff both subtle and obvious to show how much more comfortable Kobayashi and Tohru have become being honest and intimate with each other.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Spiritus Nox posted:

I like that she didn't even make it about shouting him down so much as shrugging him off. The episode did a ton of stuff both subtle and obvious to show how much more comfortable Kobayashi and Tohru have become being honest and intimate with each other.

This was undermined for me at the end b/c tohru nearly killing kobayashi (who has to duck in fear out of the way) and then kobayashi feeling compelled to reinforce to tohru that she does love her

that was problematic to me for personal reasons and it was the first time i didn't finish an episode going :3: but fortunately most people didn't read it the same way

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Lucoa plotline definitely seems like it doesn't fit in the show. Fafnir, he moves in with the guy, next time we see them we see how they live and get the confession and everything. Lucoa, she moves in with Shota, and every time after that, it's just boobs. All the other characters have stories about how they're getting something they need from these relationships, and it seemed like they were setting it up with Lucoa, when Shota said he didn't need her magic or boobs, it's like, OK, she's going to discover what she can offer another person emotionally, that's gonna be her story. But instead, all we get is boobs.

It is very out of place that all the other characters and relationships seem to mature or evolve over time, but this one it just exists for cheap fanservice and the same gag over and over. It feels almost like something from a different series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Lucoa stuff is anime original as I recall, apart from the existence of Shouta and the chapter introducing him. Maybe kyoani just dreams of being smothered by giant boobs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kyoani probably just wanted to give more screentime and focus to a few of the side characters. And while this worked really well with Kanna and Fafnir it turns out Lucoa's main characteristics are big boobs and inappropriate interactions with a young child, so the extra scenes aren't great.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
They're just a dumb boob gags to use as cuts between scene changes, I found the sumo one funny at least. :v:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
And the mofu mofu bear paw.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chumbler posted:

Maybe kyoani just dreams of being smothered by giant boobs.

hell,

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Overlord K posted:

They're just a dumb boob gags to use as cuts between scene changes, I found the sumo one funny at least. :v:

I kind of liked the ball one, if just for The Prisoner reference out of nowhere.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
It'd be funnier if they didn't lay it on so thicck.
I've heard the anime is a markedly less creeper adaptation of the manga which has some hard creeper chapters.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yes, you heard it here, in this thread. Where we beat each other over the head with it every week to no avail.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

hoobajoo posted:

It is very out of place that all the other characters and relationships seem to mature or evolve over time, but this one it just exists for cheap fanservice and the same gag over and over. It feels almost like something from a different series.

In a desperate attempt to convince myself it's not just bad, it does serve to contrast her to the other two. Neither of them initially set out to befriend humans and through sheer luck managed to find people who accept them, and even like them. People who don't give a poo poo that they're horrifying dragons.

Lucoa meanwhile finds someone terrified of her and forces herself on him despite his constant protests, and their relationship goes loving nowhere.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
What was he gonna do with a real demon

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Yes, you heard it here, in this thread. Where we beat each other over the head with it every week to no avail.

It's a prayer to keep the Bad Dragon away.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I rationalize the gag as "friendly dragon doesn't understand human concepts like 'shame' and 'propriety.'" She's not being lascivious, she merely has a passing understanding of human nature and thinks "Hey, all human males like tits, right? Well, knock yourself out, kid."

Just like showing up at the beach wearing two pieces of string and being surprised when someone wraps her in a blanket and carts her away. It just doesn't register that her human form has social limitations.

At least that's what I see as the in-universe explanation. In reality, of course, boobs.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
it's a shame because Shouta-kun's design is pretty adorable, and he would probably get along well with Kana and her giant-foreheaded friend, but he's stuck in giant Aztec titties hell.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/shirotorajun/status/837406467883835392

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

good + cute

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I actually feel like I understand the composition of that drawing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That is easily the best "Kobayashi sleeps on Tohru's tail" fanart I've seen yet.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Cephas posted:

it's a shame because Shouta-kun's design is pretty adorable, and he would probably get along well with Kana and her giant-foreheaded friend, but he's stuck in giant Aztec titties hell.

Better to reign in hell

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

UberJew posted:

This was undermined for me at the end b/c tohru nearly killing kobayashi (who has to duck in fear out of the way) and then kobayashi feeling compelled to reinforce to tohru that she does love her

that was problematic to me for personal reasons and it was the first time i didn't finish an episode going :3: but fortunately most people didn't read it the same way
Yeah, I thought the episode kinda ended on a sour note too when it wasn't even brought up that Tohru's jealousy nearly killed Kobayashi, and then the rest of the scene framed Kobayashi as being in the wrong for not knowing how to return Tohru's feelings instead of Tohru being incredibly possessive.
Even just one line of Kobayashi yelling at Tohru before Tohru says she is selfish and wants attention would have made it better for me, but they completely ignore what just happened.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

let's all stop using the phrase "bad dragon". this is the internet.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Yeah, I thought the episode kinda ended on a sour note too when it wasn't even brought up that Tohru's jealousy nearly killed Kobayashi, and then the rest of the scene framed Kobayashi as being in the wrong for not knowing how to return Tohru's feelings instead of Tohru being incredibly possessive.
Even just one line of Kobayashi yelling at Tohru before Tohru says she is selfish and wants attention would have made it better for me, but they completely ignore what just happened.

I don't feel it is framed against Kobayashi. I think its because the directing is aligned with her that it's very humble. Lots of leg shots, little direct eye contact.

All the dragons are good, I'll say it every time

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Like, I dunno. Tohru's laser beams have basically always been framed as a source of comedy and never treated seriously, even when it blows apart the house everything is fixed in an instant. Even in that scene it sends Elma spiralling off into the night sky like a cartoon villain, rather than it being a lethal and dangerous weapon.

I don't think they portrayed Kobayashi as ever being in any danger, so it didn't really bother me that they brushed over it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What is this manga dragon that everyone is dreading? Does the source material have a dragon that drops n-bombs or something?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

100 degrees Calcium posted:

What is this manga dragon that everyone is dreading? Does the source material have a dragon that drops n-bombs or something?

A picture someone linked a page or two ago, of all the manga covers, features her. Basically she's a child with breasts bigger than Lucoa's, so they're like half the size of her body or something. And according to chatter in this thread she magically gives Kobayashi a dick at one point for some reason?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
She has exercise-ball boobs

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/inkuuusan/status/837513326737383424

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Roland Jones posted:

A picture someone linked a page or two ago, of all the manga covers, features her. Basically she's a child with breasts bigger than Lucoa's, so they're like half the size of her body or something. And according to chatter in this thread she magically gives Kobayashi a dick at one point for some reason?

To be fair once she puts on some real clothes rather than her hobo poncho she looks more like a short adult. She does however remain half boob. And yes she turns Kobayashi into a guy for a chapter. But since this thread is about the anime Lady Not-Appearing-In-This-Adaptation doesn't matter.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i always assumed iruru design was supposed to be body horror

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
If the series is really 14 eps and she doesn't appear then I extremely look forward to whatever anime original stuff we've got, or the leap ahead to unscanned v5 stuff that will surprise even the manga crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/zalame_y/status/837550189082624000

• Locked thread