Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I watched a video showing two of them side by side and could barely tell any difference at all. You'll especially not notice when you're only playing one of them. Why deprive yourself of this game you want to play for months because of such a minor issue???

I only keep hounding you about it because you've been handwringing about the same thing for ages now trying to convince yourself. :cheeky:

Your hounding is 100% justified. You're definitely not wrong.

That said, I did look around some more and it honestly might come down to video encoding differences. Like, Polygon's video is super high-contrast but videos uploaded by other people are really very different. There's enough of a difference in the color depth that I can tell if I look at them side-by-side, but on an actual TV, I probably wouldn't notice. Same for the difference between 720p and 900p. You're right, though, I should just jump in. Good excuse to finally buy another controller for the Wii U, too--the fact that this doesn't use the tablet at all means I'd rather play it with a Pro Controller and for some reason I never got one of those for my Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm confident that once you've got your hands on the Wii U version your concerns will melt away.

And at least for me it's unlikely that I'll never play the Switch version, just not for some years.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm not going to complain that I can play Zelda on a console I already own and it will perform well. Pretty cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amazon still haven't sent out my copy of Zelda, but it wouldn't be the first time they didn't dispatch it until crazy late. Still says delivering it tomorrow at least.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wiiu zelda?

but how does it taste

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So if you already own a Wii U, is there any reason to buy a Switch at the moment? I'm very ignorant

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

So if you already own a Wii U, is there any reason to buy a Switch at the moment? I'm very ignorant

No, not yet. Zelda runs better but apparently only slightly better and there are no big exclusives for at least a few months.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Amazon still haven't sent out my copy of Zelda, but it wouldn't be the first time they didn't dispatch it until crazy late. Still says delivering it tomorrow at least.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. USUALLY in my experience if something has actually gone wrong with Prime at this point they say it's delayed but you never know, I still remember the Fire Emblem Awakening disaster of years past.

I have no qualms about going digital if it comes to that.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Anybody else camping out for a switch tomorrow? I live in the middle of nowhere in a very small town and my local walmart will have 7 walk in Switches. The store opens at 7 and I'm gonna get there around 6. Shouldn't be too bad since I feel like this console is way less hyped up in the mainstream than the Wii was. Also its gonna be like -35 celcius and I doubt there's too many people who wanna freeze their asses off next to the entrance for too long.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

ImpAtom posted:

there are no big exclusives for at least a few months.

Dare ye forget SNIPPERCLIPPS???

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Same with me

I'm guessing Saturday :saddowns:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't despair earlier this year they didn't mark something I ordered as dispatched until like 11pm and it still got here the next day.

I'm gonna be mad if it hasn't when I wake up though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Well, assuming you can get a Switch now and/or in the next couple of weeks:

1. How excited are you for Splatoon 2? If "very excited," you should probably get a Switch by summer. If "regular excited" or below, move on to question 2.

2. How about if you can get both Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey? If that sells you, get a Switch by November or so.

It's possible you'll want one sooner if, for some reason, you really care if your Breath of the Wild save is on the same system you'll be using to play Nintendo games for the next few years (not that unreasonable if you don't want to have both hooked up or juggle systems and you're looking forward to the future DLC, by the way), but otherwise, those are the big things for 2017.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cowcaster posted:

wiiu zelda?

but how does it taste

mmmmghhmm... i want some more!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So why are you Switch-buyers buying a Switch right now? I'm very ignorant

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Zelda, mostly. I am excited to take Zelda with me. Snipperclips, a new FAST racing, and Shovel Knight with timed exclusive Spectre Knight sweeten the deal.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Jay Rust posted:

New hardware feels good against my naked flesh

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Personally I know it has pretty much just Zelda now (and I already have a Wii U) but I have the money now and feel confident that it's not going to run into a 3DS situation where the price drops in less than a year and I want to be ready for Mario.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As someone who commutes like 90 minutes a day and usually plays Vita/3DS in that time, the idea of just playing a real rear end zelda game on the subway still feels like some alien future tech

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Buncha rich kids ITT

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jay Rust posted:

Horrible buy impluse control, plus I dont' own a Wii U, so gently caress it. It's gonna be a Zelda machine for a bit but eh.

Also carrying it around sounds awesome, I do that wtih my 3DS, might as well do more.

edit: Hey screw you pal, this is OT money for all the countless hours I worked. :colbert: I deserve to treat myself thank you very much.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Jay Rust posted:

Buncha rich kids ITT

Manchildren

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
That possibly-carcinogenic new hardware smell when you open the box... I love it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

As someone who commutes like 90 minutes a day and usually plays Vita/3DS in that time, the idea of just playing a real rear end zelda game on the subway still feels like some alien future tech

You can play LBW and OoT and Mask on a 3DS.

Honestly I'm planning on eventually getting one for the cartridge taste.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bloodychill posted:

You can play LBW and OoT and Mask on a 3DS.

Honestly I'm planning on eventually getting one for the cartridge taste.

Yeah but I meant a new bigass Zelda game.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

Buncha rich kids ITT

tbf Reggie knocked $10 off the price each time I posted about how games are linked to your NNID, not your console

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Jay Rust posted:

Buncha rich kids ITT

It's true if I had more disposable income I would have pre-ordered a Switch

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Buncha rich kids ITT

I'm splurging a bit more because I just paid off my student loans last month. :toot:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

There's definitely a thrill with being an early adopter of a new tech thing. I also think the "which system is your Zelda data on" thing might be a driver for early adoption for some people. If you were to get a Switch in the summer and then new Zelda DLC you want to play comes out, you're going back to the Wii U for it. So if you already know you want a Switch by summer or even late 2017, it's not a terrible idea to have preordered one. Not a great one, either, but not a terrible one.

Honestly if I could walk into a store and buy a Switch in the next couple of weeks, I probably would. I got a big enough tax return and have a pretty good amount of money in savings so I feel justified in making one frivolous toy purchase this year. But that seems really unlikely so I'm gonna get the Zelda Wii U version instead.

Phantasium posted:

I'm splurging a bit more because I just paid off my student loans last month. :toot:

As someone currently staring down another like 7 years of repayment, congratulations! :hfive:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
idc about the switch or zelda really. If the switch gets good party games I might get one cuz the Mrs and I like to have a go on the ol wii every now and again and at that point I'll definitely buy zelda for it but there's no way in pay i ng over £200 FOR A NINTENDO CONSOLE

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I think Video Games might be good you guys

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

bloodychill posted:

I think Video Games might be good you guys

only two of those games are actually good

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
drat it's a good time to be a gamer

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Literally the same thing.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I'm at a midnight release event for the Switch/Zelda. Pretty goony guys around here.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rexroom posted:

I'm at a midnight release event for the Switch/Zelda. Pretty goony guys around here.

So I take it you're alone.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

fridge corn posted:

It's sad that you really think that when only two of those games have been released and are good.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 2, 2017

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

fridge corn posted:

But which two?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007