Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

I think you mean the Nothing But Trouble bit-player.

Here's an unused Nothing But Trouble poster while I'm at it:

There was a period where literally every time I turned Comedy Central on, that movie would be playing, and it'd be so grotesque that I'd turn it off again after like ten seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I cannot wait for IMAX to hit theaters.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Incorporating IMAX into the poster like it's part of the scene is so tacky.

Part of me wants it to be in the actual movie though.

*cyberpunk Scarlett Johansson slams the thug into water* *a giant IMAX logo appears in the background while everything goes into slowmotion, THX cue sound drowns out everything* *lights go up in the theater for the scheduled Coke break*

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I like really like this.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Disney has a pretty great deal with Pirates of the Caribbean where they can basically recast the entire movie with whoever they want except for Johny Depp and people won't even bat an eye.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Palpek posted:

Disney has a pretty great deal with Pirates of the Caribbean where they can basically recast the entire movie with whoever they want except for Johny Depp and people won't even bat an eye.

See any horror franchise ever

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Palpek posted:

I was wondering about that with that poster, actually. Were Bloom/Knightley in 4 or did they get recast even for that one? I didn't bother with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Their characters were just straight up not in it due to a shift to Jack Sparrow as the sole central character of the series.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I was wondering about that with that poster, actually. Were Bloom/Knightley in 4 or did they get recast even for that one? I didn't bother with it.

Their story ends with the third one. I doubt Disney is going to bring them back any time soon.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

DrVenkman posted:

Their story ends with the third one. I doubt Disney is going to bring them back any time soon.

Yeah I mean I'm sure they save on actor budget by switching to younger unknown clones (based on the above poster, anyway).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Plus, Orlando Bloom is an episode of a Jamie Oliver cooking show. He can't just drop all that to go star in a movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bloom is in this new one, probably in a minor role.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Bloom and Knightley hopped off the franchise after 3. Although I think Bloom is in this one and supposedly Knightley has a mid-credits cameo to set up her returning for a sixth movie.

Because we really need a sixth Pirates movie.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Palpek posted:

I would argue Geoffrey Rush can't be recast

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Orlando bloom is 100% in the new one. He's in the trailer shown during the super bowl

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I liked this one

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

As much as I like this show, I watch about one episode a month. I've been following Rose McIver ever since she was doing sketch comedy on YouTube.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Their characters were just straight up not in it due to a shift to Jack Sparrow as the sole central character of the series.
Well, it's also because On Stranger Tides was a stand-alone novel that came out long before the first PotC movie that got turned into a Jack Sparrow movie.

That said, isn't this new movie supposed to be about Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley's kid?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, it's also because On Stranger Tides was a stand-alone novel that came out long before the first PotC movie that got turned into a Jack Sparrow movie.

That said, isn't this new movie supposed to be about Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley's kid?

Its a shame because On Stranger Tides is a great book and iirc the 4 main characters could totally be adapted to fit the 4 main characters in the PotC movies... But they screwed it all up.

I still enjoy the 4th movie, but its easily the weakest of the lot.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

BlueBayou posted:

I still enjoy the 4th movie, but its easily the weakest of the lot.

The dance sequence is loving brutal

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Cameo posted:

Because we really need a sixth Pirates movie.

Yes. Yes we do.

I unapologetically love both the FF and Pirates franchises. They are ridiculous, over-the-top fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not fourth one.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The fourth one was mostly ruined by the shoehorned love story between two super-bland characters and it looks like the same deal with this one. Bardem looks pretty rad as the villain though.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
This is the tale of Captain Jack Sparrow
Pirate so brave on the seven seas

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

flosofl posted:

Yes. Yes we do.

I unapologetically love both the FF and Pirates franchises. They are ridiculous, over-the-top fun.
Whoa, check out this Fantastic Four fan.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

The fourth one was mostly ruined by the shoehorned love story between two super-bland characters

All of the PotC movies has been ruined by that.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

flosofl posted:

Yes. Yes we do.

Remember when they hanged a child in the third movie? What a lark.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And More posted:

It's cool and good to tonally change the film as it goes on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

And More posted:

Yeah. That was pretty cool.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CelticPredator posted:

This but unironically?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CelticPredator posted:

To bad the pirates movie never bothered to do that.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I will absolutely go see this new pirates movie if only because of Bardem and ghost sharks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Samuel Clemens posted:

This but unironically?

I wasn't being ironic.

And if you don't think the last 2 Pirates films don't juggle around tones like crazy, not sure what film you were watching. We get hanging of a kid in the opening scene of Pirates 3, then a goofy rescue where they casually, and also accidently, shoot many women in the face, which leads into weird madness, to more goofy rescue, to a death of a major character, to more weirdness, to more death, and more weirdness and comedy, and action, and body horror and comedy and DEATH and love and HOLY poo poo.

Apperently no one else finds this movie as insane as I do.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CelticPredator posted:

I wasn't being ironic.

And if you don't think the last 2 Pirates films don't juggle around tones like crazy, not sure what film you were watching.

If by juggling you mean panicked flailing that results in dropping the ball, then I agree.

edit: Surely, you can't find Orlando Bloom or Keira Knightley compelling, either. :crossarms:

And More fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Alhazred posted:

All of the PotC movies has been ruined by that.

Pirates 2 and 3 are the best examples of a studio not knowing what made the first entry a hit. It's like refusing to wash your jersey so you don't curse the team; they retained every element from Black Pearl out of sheer panic.

Those movies would've been multitudes better if they jettisoned Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan, and just approached the movies as stand-alone episodes of Jack Sparrow's adventures. Hell, they could've put Keira Knightley in a red wig and made her a totally different character if they liked the actress, but creating reasons why those boring stock characters were still in the mix was exhausting.