Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Inquisition is exactly as bad as some people say it is. But it's also okay in spots.

I'm glad I played something like the Orlais palace ball with its enormous MMO setting and stilted quest design before playing W3. The sequence was enjoyable as a break from wandering around empty zones killing things for crafting parts but holy poo poo it gets blown out of the water by a team that can actually do dialog and animation.

IMO W3 makes DA:I look like DE:MD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Where did you find this home movie footage of me irl

I'm just joshin' ya, Heddy. Of course we can be friends.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 2, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I liked both DA:I and W3 also. They both do different things well.

Witcher 3 is the easily stronger of the two by far, but DA:I can be great too for the more lizard brain skinner boxy stuff. It's got entertaining yet casual party combat, and it's really good for bringing out the feeling you get with certain RPGs where the high level gameplay loop is going to a new area, loading up your quest log, then zipping around doing stuff that constantly checks off boxes on your big to do list until you get done with all of it and you feel good about it in the same way you feel good about looking at your previously messy house after a deep cleaning.

Like was said above though, I'm glad I played DA:I before W3.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

I liked both DA:I and W3 also. They both do different things well.

Witcher 3 is the easily stronger of the two by far, but DA:I can be great too for the more lizard brain skinner boxy stuff. It's got entertaining yet casual party combat, and it's really good for bringing out the feeling you get with certain RPGs where the high level gameplay loop is going to a new area, loading up your quest log, then zipping around doing stuff that constantly checks off boxes on your big to do list until you get done with all of it and you feel good about it in the same way you feel good about looking at your previously messy house after a deep cleaning.

Like was said above though, I'm glad I played DA:I before W3.

I had a real tough time getting into DAInq's combat. The top down aspects felt like more of a simple camera shift more than an actual gameplay shift into top down mode. The normal 3rd person combat never felt all that interesting. I really enjoyed DA One's combat (with appropriate caveats/acknowledgements that it was the first iteration of it's type) and felt like they kinda fudged things when they went to DAInq. There was a lot less to control, and 3rd person combat felt a lot more MMO-ey - of the 'stand here and push a button variety. It felt very static. And the dodge in the game seemed more like a throwback to 90's circle strafing more than a useful dodge tool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just wish people would shut up about Witcher 3 on here. It gets brought up more than Dark Souls and never in a funny way, it's all just "wow that game was the best thing ever". Witcher 3 does a lot of things right, does some things very poorly. But to presuppose it's good is just weird. It doesn't have objectively good plot, at all. There's no such thing. The only thing you can say is that there's a lot to it, so if you like it, hurray! But you can also say that about Inquisition.

Fundamentally though they're such different game systems that I don't see the point in making linear comparisons between them. They're very different games with some minor similarities of genre

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I just wish people would shut up about Witcher 3 on here. It gets brought up more than Dark Souls and never in a funny way, it's all just "wow that game was the best thing ever". Witcher 3 does a lot of things right, does some things very poorly. But to presuppose it's good is just weird. It doesn't have objectively good plot, at all. There's no such thing. The only thing you can say is that there's a lot to it, so if you like it, hurray! But you can also say that about Inquisition.

Fundamentally though they're such different game systems that I don't see the point in making linear comparisons between them. They're very different games with some minor similarities of genre

It's brought up because it's really the only competition insofar as modern AAA Fantasy cinematic high story western rpgs go. I really can't think of another at the moment.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/837352816071041024

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

precision posted:

does some things very poorly.

such as

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

precision posted:

It's real easy to do a quick shitpost comparing these two games because Witcher 3, and to a lesser extent Dragon Age: Inquisition, happened.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

you can't ditch Triss and Yennerfer and go live happily ever after with Shani

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CharlestonJew posted:

You CAN ditch Triss and Yen, though. And Shani's too good for Geralt.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

crafting was kind of a pain, and also important if you wanted the witcher gear or needed potions

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Don't compare games in my ME3 thread!!!!!!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

lol if your geralt wasn't volcel

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

precision posted:

I agree, there's no such thing as good and nothing can be compared to anything. Assigning value to anything is impossible and nothing can be objectively bad. Remember this when ME:A comes out because it'll be really useful.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
complaints about witcher so far are: mild irritation, something only some sperg who romances videogame characters cares about.

i rest my case.

canceled preorder, buying witcher 3 for the 3rd time

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
jk i wont cancel my preorder because gently caress that tea guy who keeps coming to this thread to flagellate himself

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hands up if you're naming your Ryder geralt

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

precision posted:

I have a lot of problems with the Witcher as a series and this post still blows.

"Meaning and value are assigned rather than inherent who knew? Therefore, all games are of equivalent value~"

You almost certainly didn't mean to say that (or maybe I'm giving you too much credit) but that IS what you said in effect so you still deserved to get paddled by the entire thread while we chant weeaboo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have a lot of problems with the Witcher as a series and this post still blows.

"Meaning and value are assigned rather than inherent who knew? Therefore, all games are of equivalent value~"

Listen guys, the truth is always in the middle if you are any sort of intellectual. Something CAN'T be better than something else, I remember reading about that in philo 101.

I'm keeping my Ryder's name the stock version, so the other characters actually say it instead of just saying "Ryder" all the time. :colbert:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Who is poo poo Ryder?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Drifter posted:

Listen guys, the truth is always in the middle if you are any sort of intellectual. Something CAN'T be better than something else, I remember reading about that in philo 101.

I'm keeping my Ryder's name the stock version, so the other characters actually say it instead of just saying "Ryder" all the time. :colbert:

If this game doesn't let me make at least one "Ryder? Hardly knew 'er!" joke then it belongs in the garbage.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The Lone Badger posted:

Who is poo poo Ryder?

(Actual Size)

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

It's distinctly someone else's power-fantasy, not mine. There's also the 'awesome fighter and awesome chemist and awesome lover and awesome smart!' bullshit that feels like it was written by a six year-old talking about Batman.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Oblivious posted:

You almost certainly didn't mean to say that (or maybe I'm giving you too much credit) but that IS what you said in effect so you still deserved to get paddled by the entire thread while we chant weeaboo.

All I meant to say as it relates to W3 vs. Inquisition is that they are in the same stylistic genre but as actual games are so different that comparing them is more useless than useful.

It would be like, but not as extreme as, say, comparing the original Deus Ex to Enter the Matrix.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

please don't be misleading, this Ryder is clearly way oversized

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

jfood posted:

It's distinctly someone else's power-fantasy, not mine. There's also the 'awesome fighter and awesome chemist and awesome lover and awesome smart!' bullshit that feels like it was written by a six year-old talking about Batman.

But enough about poo poo Ryder...

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

The Lone Badger posted:

Who is poo poo Ryder?

Ask not on whom Ryder shits; he shits on thee.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

jfood posted:

Sounds like Shepard and every other RPG mc

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
It's actually worth bringing The Witcher into these discussions just by virtue of how cool and funny it is that the contemporary benchmark for decent RPGs has been set by a couple hundred Polish guys with less than $50 million spent on production- a bar that many American developers, each with several times the staff and budget, has yet to clear.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The modern RPG Genres are:

- Bethesda Game
- Bioware Game
- We miss Black Isle
- Diablo & Friends
- YOU DIED
- MMO
- MMO (Single Player)
- Anime Movie with Fights

I don't know how to categorize Deus Ex or The Witcher

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's actually worth bringing The Witcher into these discussions just by virtue of how cool and funny it is that the contemporary benchmark for decent RPGs has been set by a couple hundred Polish guys with less than $50 million spent on production- a bar that many American developers, each with several times the staff and budget, has yet to clear.
Well, to be fair to Bioware, I don't think Canada allows employees to be paid in vodka.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

doingitwrong posted:

- Bethesda Game
- Bioware Game
- We miss Black Isle
- Diablo & Friends
- YOU DIED
- MMO
- MMO (Single Player)

You forgot Destiny

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/gamblemike/status/837155218160828418

I'm the guy preloading via my tethered 4G phone with limited data.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

- Bethesda Game
- Bioware Game
- We miss Black Isle
- Diablo & Friends
- YOU DIED
- MMO
- MMO (Single Player)

-obsidian (canceled)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

You forgot Destiny

MMO (Single Player)

I did forget
- SystemShock Through Time (which is maybe what Deus Ex goes under)

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

You forgot Destiny

- YOU DIED or maybe YOU'RE TEABAGGED

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

doingitwrong posted:

- We miss Black Isle

It would be fun and interesting if a AAA developer basically gave the go-ahead to make a game as big as DA or ME but with PoE style combat. Never gonna happen though, especially since the PS4 version of Wasteland 2 probably sold about 20 total copies.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

- Bethesda Game
- Bioware Game
- We miss Black Isle
- Diablo & Friends
- YOU DIED
- MMO
- MMO (Single Player)

-Far Cry style FPS-RPGs
-Cell Phone Roguelikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

precision posted:

Relax mate. It's just people using a good game as an example of what Bioware might one day be capable of producing.