Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I didn't really join in on the barewl hate, but that evolution is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

seriously, the uranium designs are, for the most part, either outright awful or so weirdly uninspired that they loop around to being awful. it really doesn't get better, and the 'alright' designs are the exceptions.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

I didn't really join in on the barewl hate, but that evolution is awful.

what's really weird is that the hair spike, armor and color scheme is pretty good at showing they're related but the whole package is utterly nonsensical, it's kind of impressive how you can design something clearly from another thing and yet have them look completely alien to each other

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It's nice that the stat screen outlines IVs and EVs all in one place. Is that a uranium thing or just the pokemon essentials package? still nice.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Brain fish looks like an aquatic version of the Locker from the first 2 Resident Evil movies.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mandatory lesbian posted:

what's really weird is that the hair spike, armor and color scheme is pretty good at showing they're related but the whole package is utterly nonsensical, it's kind of impressive how you can design something clearly from another thing and yet have them look completely alien to each other

it's like someone misunderstood why the evolutionary lines that have a puny little thing turn into some cool-looking final form are so popular in the actual games. the canon ones have a consistent look between them all and you can actually kind of immediately guess as to how they flow from each other

the weird little turd with a hat that turns into a nebulous dog/horse/deer thing with a hat doesn't really share that, unfortunately

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I... I think the brain fish is charmingly stupid and would use it if I played this game. I don't like any other Pokemon introduced in this update but brain fish is dopey enough for me to like it. The fact that it doesn't have eyes helps.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I like how the status screens clearly admit that Uranium is a game for Pokemon obsessives and basically nobody else. All those invisible numbers meant to ensure that every player's Pokemon wind up slightly different, even if they're the same level with the same moves, completely visible and in the open because it would otherwise be inconveniencing to competitive players.

Also, paradoxically, the designs in this game are somehow better-drawn, and yet shittier than Baro's designs in Quartz. Like, with Baro, you could tell that some actual thought went into the designs, and if you completely overhauled the execution of some of them while retaining the basic idea, you might get a decent real Pokemon out of it. With the Uranium designs, I couldn't even imagine them making it far enough to be left on the cutting room floor, these are designs that one of the Game Freak concept artists would get halfway through drawing before shaking their head, crumpling it up, and tossing it in the trash.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Hey now I kinda like the electric hedgehog.

...electric hedgehog...wait no it's clearly meant to be something else. I'm sure of it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is it gonna be a theme of blob pokemon evolving to something random

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Maaaan Jerbolta seems like the most :effort: Pikaclone. Like even discounting the (hopefully) unintentional parallels with a certain other fan-made "Pokemon" it's basically a Raichu-Sandslash, complete with Ground typing. That ability is also kinda disgusting, like halfway between Gale Wings pre-nerf and post-nerf, except applicable to all moves it can learn. And if those stats are anything to go by, it can probably back up its ability easily.

Tired Moritz posted:

is it gonna be a theme of blob pokemon evolving to something random

How very Digimon.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Aww, you let the fire ant evolve. I had high hopes for it... eventually.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
The electric/normal mon doesn't look bad to be fair. :)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Brain fish looks like a combination of a Smilin' Sphere from Earthbound and one of the Martians from Mars Attacks!.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
'Jerbolta' is a name I could see being hung on a real Pokemon, though. An electric jerboa!

Does this game have multiple authors or something? In this update alone I saw a semicolon used properly (if gratuitously) and then, later, 'keep distance from...' The dialogue's grasp of English seems... variable.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ephraim225 posted:

Hey now I kinda like the electric hedgehog.

...electric hedgehog...wait no it's clearly meant to be something else. I'm sure of it.

It's a jerboa. Basically a kangaroo rat only not. It's a decently clever, if extremely obvious, choice of design influence for a pikaclone. Same goes for the name. That said, the fact that this has a clear, specific real world counterpart as its design inspiration at all already puts it a cut above most of the rest of the designs we've seen so far, and a step closer to Actual Pokemon Design Quality (tm). I've got no defense for the sonic aesthetic it's got going on though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Picayune posted:

Does this game have multiple authors or something? In this update alone I saw a semicolon used properly (if gratuitously) and then, later, 'keep distance from...' The dialogue's grasp of English seems... variable.
It's probably just really slipshod editing, like most amateur projects have.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Looking at that priority ability, does this game have an option for shift/set mode in battles?

Also while I think they should've matched the highlights for natures with the actual games, I am still very annoyed with the games making red good instead of bad.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Dr. Dos posted:

Also while I think they should've matched the highlights for natures with the actual games, I am still very annoyed with the games making red good instead of bad.

It's a Japan thing. A red circle is a common symbol for correct and a blue cross is a common symbol for incorrect.

The thing that bothers me is that the red they use in most games is impossible to differentiate from the regular 'black' text due to my colorblindness. I'd be fine with the choices otherwise.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I'm a fan of Mr. Totally not Roark's terrible mustache.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cattail Prophet posted:

It's a jerboa. Basically a kangaroo rat only not. It's a decently clever, if extremely obvious, choice of design influence for a pikaclone. Same goes for the name. That said, the fact that this has a clear, specific real world counterpart as its design inspiration at all already puts it a cut above most of the rest of the designs we've seen so far, and a step closer to Actual Pokemon Design Quality (tm). I've got no defense for the sonic aesthetic it's got going on though.

yeah, the theming is actually kind of alright but it's unfortunately sort of boring and has nothing all that interesting going on for it.

the brain fish is honestly kind of alright as well, but something about the finer details of the design always screamed 'fan-made pokemon' to me, probably because i don't think a canon pokemon would have some kind of actual exposed brain

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

the brain fish is honestly kind of alright as well, but something about the finer details of the design always screamed 'fan-made pokemon' to me, probably because i don't think a canon pokemon would have some kind of actual exposed brain

That has more to do with brains not being cute than it does with any issues of practicality or evolutionary suitability. See also: spoink.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Who names their kid "Davern"? Someone who knows he's going to grow up to live in caves and stuff, thus needing his name to rhyme with Cavern?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

his name was dave but he really likes caves and the bad joke wasn't on the nose enough before

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That has more to do with brains not being cute than it does with any issues of practicality or evolutionary suitability. See also: spoink.

yeah, i feel like a canon pokemon would just have a large head more than anything. even the more 'morbid' pokemon out there are pretty sanitized.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, i feel like a canon pokemon would just have a large head more than anything. even the more 'morbid' pokemon out there are pretty sanitized.

it's kinda funny you mention that cause the animal (i think) it's based on (the oranda) just has a fleshy brainish looking blob on it's head rather then a literal brain, and it's known for being cute

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

it's kinda funny you mention that cause the animal (i think) it's based on (the oranda) just has a fleshy brainish looking blob on it's head rather then a literal brain, and it's known for being cute

The Oranda is the fish version of the Pug. That blobby tissue grows into their eyes and blinds them and has to be cut away otherwise they can't see to eat.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in the back of my mind i'd known i'd seen something like that before but didn't know the name, and yeah, this actually works a lot better than going a literal route. i would personally make the brain colors match the body more and keep it eyeless, maybe add some weird markings. would look a lot more official, in my opinion

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
that's an ugly fish

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I kind of liked the star nosed mole with a drill attachment. Better than a lot of the other poo poo.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Jerbolta's ability looks pretty neat, seems like a more generalised version of Golisopod's First Impression move. Feels like it could be a serious wrecking ball with Volt Switch.

And as terrifying as the brainfish is, it still feels like more thought was put into its design than a lot of the sprites in this game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

in the back of my mind i'd known i'd seen something like that before but didn't know the name, and yeah, this actually works a lot better than going a literal route. i would personally make the brain colors match the body more and keep it eyeless, maybe add some weird markings. would look a lot more official, in my opinion

making the brain more the color of the flesh would help a lot for how jilting it is yeah

Tired Moritz posted:

that's an ugly fish

oranda is a qt :mad:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Disobedience is one of KMFDM's most underrated songs.

That fish is ugly but in a cool way.

That fish pokemon is ugly but in a hideous way.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

PureRok posted:

Who names their kid "Davern"? Someone who knows he's going to grow up to live in caves and stuff, thus needing his name to rhyme with Cavern?

I didn't realize his name had an "R" in it, so I thought it was just Daven which, while still an odd name, isn't as silly as daveRn.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I kind of liked the star nosed mole with a drill attachment. Better than a lot of the other poo poo.

Yeah the colour scheme was awful and the sprite was kind of bad but I liked the concept.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's basically a diggle.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Dos posted:

does this game have an option for shift/set mode in battles?

Yes. I've had it on Set from the start.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I would play a pokemon game that had nothing but Cute Mascot Creatures from other franchises.

Sadly, that's such a licensing nightmare that the only way you'd get it is in the most amateur of fan-hacks.

Ephraim225 posted:

Gotta go fast. Also, death of the author ensures that even if they didn't intend the correlation, they sure didn't try to deter from it. At least Togedemaru looks more like a real life hedgehog and less like a Mascot Creature hedgehog.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Aw yes, Ludicolo!

Which can only mean one thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Well Blants' evolution answers how they came up with the naming scheme for the line and it's super lazy. I think someone guessed earlier that Smore was a combination of SMOke and fiRE and for Firoke they literally just swapped the syllables around.

• Locked thread