Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon
May 22, 2003

Regarding transitional lenses, isn't the reason that they look goofy because they are shaped like normal spectacles, wheras sunglasses usually have a completely different shape? So when you have spectacle shape plus sunglasses tint, it looks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Just... can we just stop being huge loving dicks to each other about weight? Seems like everyone on the internet, like 4chan and reddit, has made it their career to shame fat people without knowing a drat thing about them.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ularg posted:

Just... can we just stop being huge loving dicks to each other about weight? Seems like everyone on the internet, like 4chan and reddit, has made it their career to shame fat people without knowing a drat thing about them.

We are not lambasting these people because of their weight, we are lambasting them because they are hugely loving delusional.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ularg posted:

It's all self loathing. They actually know a lot about fat people. But on the internet you can lie and pretend to be a hot person with ideal bmi and nobody will be able to tell

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Baronjutter posted:

In pretty much all the cases of "I'm doing everything right but not losing weight!! Maybe my biology just doesn't obey thermodynamics!" they're always cheating and lying to others or even to them selves, just like an addict. It's infuriating and sad.

I knew a guy who was "desperate" to lose weight. Was reasonably fit for a long time but also very active and sporty so ate like an athlete and got very used to this sort of diet. Got older, ballooned the gently caress up and was told he HAD to lose weight by his doctors. He would then complain about how he was starving himself and practically fasting but every single time I'd ever go for dinner or out he'd order the most food out of anyone. "Oh today's my cheat day" or "I haven't been here in years" or "I didn't know the portions were so big". Every single time, always some excuse why this time it didn't count. Could never just get a single normal entre, it would always be the biggest one, and an extra side, and an appetizer or two. But he was convinced his lack of weight loss was 100% down to his biology.

Portion control is the single biggest problem I'm having with weight control/loss. I simply dont know what makes a portion in home cooked food. I finally got a scale and being pretty meticulous about measuring stuff out at home but when I go out I just say gently caress it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How often do you go out? My friend would go out for lunch/dinner like 3-5 times a week minimum and said "gently caress it" every time because he's eating right when he's at home so it cancels out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have a history of depression. Being on an anti-depressant sucks for several different reasons, but its a choice I have to make and take ownership of. I can say "gently caress the meds", but then if I get depressed its nobody's fault but my own. There are obvious benefits to staying on the meds, but doing that means dealing with some really annoying poo poo that I'd rather not.

These are the difficult decisions in life that we all have to make. Struggling with these decisions and waffling back and forth is something we all do and is very human, but denying that there is even a choice in the first place is delusional.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ularg posted:

Haha you always crack me up Ularg

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

You know perfectly well fatasses don't count as people

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

oldpainless posted:

On a plane they count as two!

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I recently hit a 25lb milestone with my weight loss and I'm halfway through my short-term goal for this year :unsmith: I started in december.

but I count calories (intake is 1000 - 1500 less than I burn a day depending on my activity level) and do a 30 minute walk daily, plus some strength training a couple of times a week. if I want some garbage fast food, I budget my calories around it. I cook most meals myself, though, and I use a scale for measuring food.

I lost about 70 pounds as a teenager by just starving myself and I looked great but gained it all back, and more, fairly quickly. it's absolutely a lifestyle change to lose weight, and it's difficult sometimes. but oh my god it feels so good to do this for myself

e: I have a fitbit and that helps me, personally. I know that because of stupid poo poo like this, fitness trackers might be off-putting, but the key is eating less. I can exercise all I want but it's never going to make up for the lifestyle change needed. which isn't easy for a lot of people, myself included, though I'm definitely better now.

snoo has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Mar 2, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The whole delusional thing actually makes sense if you consider that women in particular have a lot of their self worth in society tied to their appearance. A woman that's fat is seen as unfuckable aka worthless. They're going to try to push against this misconception and rationalize it to try to establish some sense of self worth and not surprisingly people on the Internet will zoom in on coming down hardest on people that just want a right to exist.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i dont know if it can compare, me being an alcoholic, to someone who is overweight when my option for dealing with my addiction includes complete abstinence from alcohol whereas abstinence from food is a whole other, probably worse condition, but if it is indeed a result of addiction to be overweight then based on my personal experience with addiction the only thing that controls whether one stops partaking in their addictive behavior is a personal decision to stop for no one but their own self. we are after all individual creatures and we are all selfish to some degree, doing something for a selfish reason is one of the most genuine things we can do.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
*Circus music starts blaring*

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Breetai posted:

*Circus music starts blaring*

Huge.....tracts of land!

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
I think the biggest reason people say "I eat normal but I'm still fat," is because they don't know what normal eating is. They think a piled-high plate is normal and even if they do have normal-looking sized potions, the food is so calorie dense that it doesn't make a difference. Same reason obesity runs in families. The people around you teach you what normal is and if mom and dad are eating 4 slices of meat lover's pizza then that's a normal amount.

All of this, of course, could be rectified with a simple google search so it's not an excuse, but it does explain how people are so effectively able to lie to themselves about their calorie intake.

E: it's like one episode of "My 600 Lb Life" I watched where a women's sister was crying and pleading with her to lose weight and the women ordered 4 pizzas and breadsticks while they were having this conversation for herself, her husband and their two children. The sister was like wtf, but the fat lady just kept saying "I have to feed my family." The sister couldn't understand why she ordered that much food for two adults and two children, but the fat lady couldn't understand why her sister didn't want her to order it. She understood the pizza was not good for her, but didn't seem to understand that the amount she was ordering was absurd.

SquirrelFace has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Mar 2, 2017

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

oldpainless posted:

Oldsoulless

(also I'm not talking about you guys, I think we do pretty well picking on fat people with terrible fashion choice/personal hygiene.)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Can we go like 2 pages without a fat people derail ?

Content in here, just pic your fav http://imgur.com/gallery/5Brtx probs some :nws: in there, I dunno.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SquirrelFace posted:

E: it's like one episode of "My 600 Lb Life" I watched where a women's sister was crying and pleading with her to lose weight and the women ordered 4 pizzas and breadsticks while they were having this conversation for herself, her husband and their two children. The sister was like wtf, but the fat lady just kept saying "I have to feed my family." The sister couldn't understand why she ordered that much food for two adults and two children, but the fat lady couldn't understand why her sister didn't want her to order it. She understood the pizza was not good for her, but didn't seem to understand that the amount she was ordering was absurd.

Conversely you have the people who encourage it i.e. the family members of every bed/couch-bound 1000-pounder, who constantly feed the person who is fused to the fabric through a combination of their own skin/feces because 'mah growin' boy needs food'.

I also like the weasel words and phrases used by the hardcore FA/HAES people, like when they're saying "People are criticizing me for taking the food that I need to nourish my body!" when they're nourished like an absolute motherfucker, and framing it that way further emphasizes the wrongheaded viewpoint that there's either 'proper' eating that results in them being a fatty boombah, or else dangerous starvation that simultaneously puts them at risk of death because even a minor decrease in nourishment is disastrous, and will never result in weight loss because there is a total disconnect between caloric intake and the body's ability to store fat.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Breetai posted:

Conversely you have the people who encourage it i.e. the family members of every bed/couch-bound 1000-pounder, who constantly feed the person who is fused to the fabric through a combination of their own skin/feces because 'mah growin' boy needs food'.

I also like the weasel words and phrases used by the hardcore FA/HAES people, like when they're saying "People are criticizing me for taking the food that I need to nourish my body!" when they're nourished like an absolute motherfucker, and framing it that way further emphasizes the wrongheaded viewpoint that there's either 'proper' eating that results in them being a fatty boombah, or else dangerous starvation that simultaneously puts them at risk of death because even a minor decrease in nourishment is disastrous, and will never result in weight loss because there is a total disconnect between caloric intake and the body's ability to store fat.

The sad thing is, most of the time they're not nourished. The average obese person in the US has a diet consisting almost solely of fats and salts and starch with no nutritional value, and a lot of that is simply due to the sheer variety and cheapness of crappy food. It takes time and effort to make a healthy, tasty meal while a four Hotpockets takes about four minutes in the microwave.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
While not necessarily genetic, obesity is extremely heritable. Women suffering from diabetes or insulin resistance while pregnant have children who are much more likely to develop insulin resistance themselves. Children get raised to 'clean their plate' and their sense of satiety is all messed up. There are people in cultures where food has a very positive association to it, or kids in hosed up households where eating is the only positive memories of being with their family.

People like this grow up struggling with weight because food has defined so much of their life both good and bad that making positive life changes becomes a herculean task. Of course someone with a healthy attitude about food will lose weight more easily than someone that doesn't.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

It took until the third time I saw this quoted to notice the stylized sig runes tattooed on her hip. I...I think they might be racists.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Reading some actual stats on weight loss success is really depressing. It seems once you really balloon up it's incredibly hard to lose the weight and keep it off. It's like any addiction where it can be extremely hard not to relapse. Some drugs are easier to kick and you can actually "beat" the addiction, but for food/overeating it's always going to be there. And unlike an alcoholic that knows he can't drink in moderation so doesn't at all, fats can't just abstain from food because they know they can't control their portions or snacking and have fridges and cupboards full of food tempting them every moment.

As someone whose weight has been yoyoing for about 5 years, I think the biggest issue is that people focus on losing weight rather than living more healthily. They go on crazy exercise binges and eat only 1200kcal a day and it works great, only it's totally unsustainable, and they're secretly miserable, and looking forwards to the day when they reach whatever magic number they're aiming for and can start living normally again. Then of course they reach that number, breath a huge sigh of relief, and begin a slow slide back towards obesity.

Dieting doesn't work because, by it's nature, it's a temporary measure you do to lose weight. You need to say "this is my life from now on", and stick to it, which means setting sensible goals for kcal intake and exercise, which you can actually live with long term. You'll lose weight much more slowly, but hopefully you can still live a happy enough life that you don't shoot straight for mcdonalds as soon as your BMI hits 25.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Screaming Idiot posted:

The sad thing is, most of the time they're not nourished. The average obese person in the US has a diet consisting almost solely of fats and salts and starch with no nutritional value, and a lot of that is simply due to the sheer variety and cheapness of crappy food. It takes time and effort to make a healthy, tasty meal while a four Hotpockets takes about four minutes in the microwave.

That time and effort is often ridiculously overstated though. Chop some potatoes carrots and onions, get a hunk of meat, toss them all in a small amount of vegetable oil and salt and pepper, then chuck it in the oven and forget about it for 90 minutes. The prep takes 15 minutes, and you can do it in amounts that gives you leftovers for days. Mix it up by later taking the roast meat, cutting some of it into strips, and tossing it with spinach, chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber and a little crumbled Parmesan with some salt, olive oil and white vinegar, and there's a 4 minute meal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Breetai posted:

That time and effort is often ridiculously overstated though. Chop some potatoes carrots and onions, get a hunk of meat, toss them all in a small amount of vegetable oil and salt and pepper, then chuck it in the oven and forget about it for 90 minutes. The prep takes 15 minutes, and you can do it in amounts that gives you leftovers for days. Mix it up by later taking the roast meat, cutting some of it into strips, and tossing it with spinach, chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber and a little crumbled Parmesan with some salt, olive oil and white vinegar, and there's a 4 minute meal.

Well lah de dah mister rich man and your being able to afford fancy food like spinach and tomatoes.

Seriously though I could eat garbage for a week for the price of that meal, and given how tight money has been in the past occasionally I've had no real choice on that front. :negative: half the time I go to buy a sack of potatoes here, they're already moldy in the stores even and there's not really anything anyone can do about it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ularg posted:

Down with the patriarchy!

I'm jealous that women get to carry purses. So much room

I'm a dude and I've carried a purse-like bag for like 15 years now. It's handy as gently caress. Technically I guess I carry more of a satchel but I've had a lot of people refer to it as a "man purse."

No fucks are given; it's useful and I will never stop carrying one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Breetai posted:

My family almost never eats out and has never ordered delivery; I eat pizza only when it's provided to me because of events and whatnot because it's not so great. I cook a ton and cook healthy and have a low BMI. That said, what you've just described is still 100x more effort than microwaving some ramen or Easy Mac. And yes, you've described one easy meal, but people don't want to eat that all the time.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm a dude and I've carried a purse-like bag for like 15 years now. It's handy as gently caress. Technically I guess I carry more of a satchel but I've had a lot of people refer to it as a "man purse."

What do you carry in it? Keys, a wallet, and a cell phone all easily fit in normal pant pockets

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Can you please provide a picture and maybe a name? I would love to have one so I stop having to worry about shoving keys, phone, wallet, tissues, cables, pens into my pockets or something.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

Can we go like 2 pages without a fat people derail ?

Content in here, just pic your fav http://imgur.com/gallery/5Brtx probs some :nws: in there, I dunno.

Hey Ice King why'd you steal my toothbrush

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There are people that love to cook elaborate meals yet are still fat. No shortage of fat chefs, for example.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ularg posted:

Can you please provide a picture and maybe a name? I would love to have one so I stop having to worry about shoving keys, phone, wallet, tissues, cables, pens into my pockets or something.

Head to Amazon and google satchels, messenger bags, or laptop bags. The one I carry now was actually a laptop bag but was exactly the right size for all my college notebooks, books, and crap. I still carry it around.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

What do you carry in it? Keys, a wallet, and a cell phone all easily fit in normal pant pockets

Tablet, a notebook, and whatever tech manuals I happen to be reading at the time. Any paperwork relevant to whatever I have to be doing or errands I have to run. Checkbook (but I really couldn't tell you why). That sort of stuff. Probably a laptop eventually when I get around to buying one. I bore easily and hate doing nothing so I tend to have a couple of books and my tablet with me in case I have to sit still for a significant period of time. Any other miscellaneous crap I need for whatever reason.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Panfilo posted:

There are people that love to cook elaborate meals yet are still fat. No shortage of fat chefs, for example.

Never trust a skinny cook

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

Never trust a skinny cook

Yeah they will steal your stuff for meth money to do their job properly, a vicious cycle.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Nothing triggers goons as fast as making fun of fat people.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

:stonklol:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Just a creepy photoshop over a non-creepy photo of a person cuddling a foal. You have to raise them in their early days if they're rejected by mom etc.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Breetai posted:

May be overstated, but Hot Pockets and their ilk are still zero effort meals. Hot Pockets also require no cleanup and can be eaten while playing Medal of Duty: Shootgunner Warmans and watching My Lonely Penis: Friendzone is Tragic.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

what's the with the purple smear on the mattress though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lemon posted:

what's the with the purple smear on the mattress though

It's on his thumb too so I think it's just lovely photoshop

• Locked thread