Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

If you were to get a Switch in the summer and then new Zelda DLC you want to play comes out, you're going back to the Wii U for it. So if you already know you want a Switch by summer or even late 2017, it's not a terrible idea to have preordered one. Not a great one, either, but not a terrible one.

Honestly I hadn't even thought about that, though I'm hardly averse to playing old consoles randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That's a lot of funfactor!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If Nintendo decided to re-release their Wii U games or have digital backwards compatibility for the Switch I would be jumping on it much faster. But does the gamepad preclude this from being a reality?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sound 3.5 :unsmith:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If Nintendo decided to re-release their Wii U games or have digital backwards compatibility for the Switch I would be jumping on it much faster. But does the gamepad preclude this from being a reality?

Not necessarily. The main game on the Wii U that took advantage of the GamePad was Mario Maker, and considering that one mobile game port that only works in tablet mode on Switch they could easily make it so it has to be undocked to make levels, or eschew the touch controls completely since they're clearly not above releasing gimped versions of Mario Maker.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm getting a switch day 1 because I'm still bitter it took me like 4 months after launch to get a Wii.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Unless they accept that it's okay to edit out dual screen features, which I'm betting they won't.
You'll be getting remakes, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe style.

Is there a Switch thread? That last one's locked.
I've got mine, licked Zelda and bought a Neogeo game to test out how awful these d-buttons are.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I rate things on a five word system.

Bad.
Fine.
Good.
Great.
Superlative.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

I dunno when the trend of breaking down a review score into individual components originated but I'm glad it seems to be on its way out.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dr Cheeto posted:

I dunno when the trend of breaking down a review score into individual components originated but I'm glad it seems to be on its way out.

The category I always liked in old reviews was "Reviewer's Tilt" because it implied that all the other categories were Pure Scientific Objectivity and so they had to quarantine stupid Subjective Experience away from the other things

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

After Nintendo Power moved from a scoring system out of a hundred to a scoring system out of five, there was a letter to the editors published a few months later, arguing that a scoring system out of a hundred was far more precise. If one basketball game gets an 88 and another gets 87, it's pretty clear which one we should buy!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr Cheeto posted:

imo minutiae like that is much better for giving an idea of what a game is like because two games that have the same blanket score of "8" might be very very different in terms of quality in separate areas.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This game is no fun at all, but it does have really good sound. Solid buy.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Jay Rust posted:

After Nintendo Power moved from a scoring system out of a hundred to a scoring system out of five, there was a letter to the editors published a few months later, arguing that a scoring system out of a hundred was far more precise. If one basketball game gets an 88 and another gets 87, it's pretty clear which one we should buy!

I miss Nintendo Power

Most of all I miss finding hte like 1 or 2 games they'd give a low score and basking in them dunking on them in what was essentially a paid shill rag

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think it made more sense when games could just be objectively broken with no recourse to have them split out by controls or whatever, but just having random numbers attached to anything based on how someone feels when they get the game for free and have insane time limits to review when they might not even like a genre is dumb and pointless.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

This game is no fun at all, but it does have really good sound. Solid buy.

A good review will mention both of those things, yes.

Phantasium posted:

I think it made more sense when games could just be objectively broken with no recourse to have them split out by controls or whatever, but just having random numbers attached to anything based on how someone feels when they get the game for free and have insane time limits to review when they might not even like a genre is dumb and pointless.

Video game reviews can't be objective unless something is actually broken so there's no point in pretending there's any objectivity involved

edit: And I think that'd make review score numbers make more sense, if they weren't supposed to represent some objective standard on a 1-10 scale of quality that doesn't exist

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 2, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Isn't "funfactor" the only thing that counts in this world?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

thank you for your review of my post

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Video game reviews can't be objective unless something is actually broken so pretending a review has any objectivity in it is pointless.

I was specifically talking about when games were actually broken since patches weren't a thing unless a dev wanted to print more carts/discs.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VideoGames posted:

I rate things on a five word system.

Bad.
Fine.
Good.
Great.
Superlative.

SSSadistic!!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phantasium posted:

I was specifically talking about when games were actually broken since patches weren't a thing unless a dev wanted to print more carts/discs.

Yeah, I was mostly talking to the forum at large with that response I think

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oic

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The highest review score should be Rainbow Viewtiful

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Phantasium posted:

considering that one mobile game port that only works in tablet mode on Switch

What game is that?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
im buying Zelda on Wii U so I can play it portablly on my Wii U tablet gamepad

beat that switch!

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I'm only one game deep but so far I am enjoying open world robot apocalypse week. Looking forward to the other two games that come out in the next few days.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

What game is that?

Voez, iirc. Just a mobile port, basically.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

beat that switch!

I'm buying it on Wii U when Nintendo actually let's me see it on the eshop cause I don't see any reason to get a switch for at least a year.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Not a Children posted:

I miss Nintendo Power

Most of all I miss finding hte like 1 or 2 games they'd give a low score and basking in them dunking on them in what was essentially a paid shill rag

They gave Ocarina of Time the lowest score out of all the recorded publications back in the day IIRC.

They did weird things like that some times.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

LeafyOrb posted:

I'm only one game deep but so far I am enjoying open world robot apocalypse week. Looking forward to the other two games that come out in the next few days.

I for one welcome our new robot dinosaur Ganondorfs.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://i.imgur.com/imGmKKC.gifv

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

beat that switch!

if I mount my Wii U in my car, I can take Zelda with me wherever I go

think you can match that, Switch? :smug:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This is what reviews looked like back in 1998.

I wonder why Andy gave it an 8, and why he wasn't fired

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I remember correctly Nintendo Power actually rated Turok 2 higher, 9.7 or something. I remember it standing out to me at the time and it was one of the reason I bought that. Which you know is a solid game all told, but it's also no Ocarina of Time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

If I remember correctly Nintendo Power actually rated Turok 2 higher, 9.7 or something. I remember it standing out to me at the time and it was one of the reason I bought that. Which you know is a solid game all told, but it's also no Ocarina of Time.

Lol

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

This is what reviews looked like back in 1998.

I wonder why Andy gave it an 8, and why he wasn't fired

quote:

Say goodbye to your friends and family before you start to play

yikes the stories about that haunted Zelda cartridge were real

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I read video game magazines for the articles

In Training