Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Choco1980 posted:

Mardi Gras literally translates in French to "Tuesday Fat"

Since adjectives in French typically go after the noun (with a few exceptions), Mardi Gras literally translates to "Fat Tuesday"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Eastern Canada there's a chain called Giant Tiger. So in French it's Tigre Geant.

Everyone I know calls it "Tiger Giant" and I hate them.

You know how French works you idiots you took it for at least 11 years.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm not sure what is more peak Mr. Bibs, dying from a hot dog or "knowing" that bar staff were scheduled based around your 'normal day' of going there.

like literally just go to a different bar :lol:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The oscars apparently were like a week ago and a bunch of movies I've never heard of won some awards????

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I legitimately want to know why MisterBibs still posts here when everything he says is followed by "choked on a hotdog".

I mean no one would be sad if he stopped, but I still wanna know why.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

eating only apples posted:

I legitimately want to know why MisterBibs still posts here when everything he says is followed by "choked on a hotdog".

Eh, I don't let it get to me, because it's usually from a place of me being an easier target than what they are more mad at. It's easier to have issue with me liking Fallout 4 more than New Vegas, for example, than admitting that Bethesda clearly does Fallout better than its original developers.

If we're talking specifically about the hotdog thing, I don't mind it because bringing up because a) they perpetually get it wrong, and that's funny, and I don't mind spreading awareness of the immune disorder I have in which food impaction is something I have to worry about , even on the best days, and will likely kill me if it becomes inoperable cancer.

I mean, poo poo, that's a solid example for this thread about figuring things out. When I was actually diagnosed with EE, a lot of things suddenly made sense. I spent the bulk of my life, from childhood, thinking that chest pain when eating and brief moments of food impaction were just things everyone had to deal with. I thought it was just brave/stupid to see people eating meals without a drink with them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm sorry about your immune disorder but maybe you'd generate some good karma in your life and your health if you didn't have such terrible opinions on games? Namaste.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

It's easier to have issue with me liking Fallout 4 more than New Vegas, for example, than admitting that Bethesda clearly does Fallout better than its original developers.

Nobody has an issue with you liking Four more than New Vegas. Their issue is that your reasoning was batshit insane, and equated to not liking Super Mario Brothers because you die if you jump in a pit, and that's restrictive gameplay.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

Nobody has an issue with you liking Four more than New Vegas...Their issue is that your reasoning was batshit insane,

Just to remind you, people actually tried to argue that Cazadore Alley was anything but a terrible choice. I get it, it's easier to gripe about me liking the superior games than admit you (not specifically you) are trying to justify the unjustifiable.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mister Bibs pretends to have a loving autoimmune disorder to make people feel bad about making fun of him for almost choking on a hot dog twice in as many attempts at eating a hot dog

like try to even imagine being that sad of a person

Alaois has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Mar 3, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Just to remind you, people actually tried to argue that Cazadore Alley was anything but a terrible choice.

Correct. Because it's actually an incredibly good choice.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

Correct. Because it's actually an incredibly good choice.

Exactly my point. It's not, it's unjustifiable, and when the next game rolled around, there weren't any don't-go-this-way bullshit mechanics floating around. Hell, they went so far in the opposite direction that one of the earliest quests has a goal that could be this way, thataway, or down there... because by God you could go this way, that way, or down there without running into unjustifiable meat walls along the way.

So instead of dealing with that mechanic being so unjustifiable that it didn't get repeated, it's gripe at me over me saying what most people would say. I don't mind.

E: vvv yeah, that's really the only thing about it that really annoys me, cuz the problems I have with my esophagus, and the discussion thereof, are never on-topic.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Mar 3, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this isn't the "argue about video games" thread you insufferable loving nerds there are entire forums for that on this very website

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jesus christ misterbibs look at the average wordcount in your boring rear end tryhard sincere posts

i dont care about who you didnt gently caress or your longass boring monolouges about your life lol sorry buddy but cmon go talk to a bff or tell it to a therapist

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Stuff I just figured out, MisterBibs has raging autism.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I pray for a time when Bibbs and SuperMechaGodzilla clash and the entire forum collapses on itself.

Just two horrible autists sucking themselves off into eternity.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

KoRMaK posted:

Jesus christ misterbibs look at the average wordcount in your boring rear end tryhard sincere posts

i dont care about who you didnt gently caress or your longass boring monolouges about your life lol sorry buddy but cmon go talk to a bff or tell it to a therapist

You know you could just not read his posts, right?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Break it up please.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not sure a lack of paragraphs is MisterBibs's actual problem...

AMISH FRIED PIES has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Mar 4, 2017

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

This didn't get enough love, so let's end the derail on the conclusion that:

SomeJazzyRat posted:

God, you are such a weenie that you probably choked on yourself.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I really wish I had some content to contribute but I've just figured out I can't make myself figure things out on command.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I really wish I had some content to contribute but I've just figured out I can't make myself figure things out on command.

i had a whole reply ready but i forgot it~

i am a bad man

behind blue eyes

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I had no idea IMDb got rid of its message boards. Was wondering why the pages I was reading felt off and were missing something.

I also had no idea Mark Mothersbaugh composed and performed the Beakman's World theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut541DsesD4

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I never knew the word "expedient" had a negative connotation until I looked it up while I was proofing copy for someone. I just thought it meant getting poo poo done quick (which it also doesn't mean).

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

fullroundaction posted:

I never knew the word "expedient" had a negative connotation until I looked it up while I was proofing copy for someone. I just thought it meant getting poo poo done quick (which it also doesn't mean).

well goddam

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Same. I did not know that at all.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

fullroundaction posted:

I was going to suggest that you might've been thinking of "expediate" but apparently that's not even a word and I was thinking of expedite.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
poo poo we're all getting schooled on expedient

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Me too. I think because it sounds like "speedy" I just filled in the rest.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I thought that if you expedited something you were being expedient

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

is expedia doing something immoral when it finds you cheap tickets?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Uh, p sure expedient means like a correct or appropriate means of accomplishing something. Like to do something expediently is to select the proper or desired course of action. I'm not seeing how a negative connotation exists unless you use it specifically in the negative, e.g. Your completion of the task was not very expedient.

Am I missing something here?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah, a dictionary :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

Uh, p sure expedient means like a correct or appropriate means of accomplishing something. Like to do something expediently is to select the proper or desired course of action. I'm not seeing how a negative connotation exists unless you use it specifically in the negative, e.g. Your completion of the task was not very expedient.

You can literally google it, dude.

Then again, it's kind of a prescriptivist point of view. Generally speaking a word means what we all agree on it means, so I think it won't be too long before expedient loses it's negative connotations altogether and the dictionaries will be updated to reflect that.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

^^^- Jumping straight to google takes all the fun out of it.

Okay, then the original claim is dumb because it seems like it can carry a negative connotation, but doesn't necessarily have to, which in a broader sense is how connotation works.

The original statement should probably have gone something like "expedient can carry a negative denotation" since we're arguing dictionary definitions and not contextual usage or subjective interpretation.

E: ehhh, content. Few years ago I was shocked to learn that dogs and cats lap up water backwards from how I imagined.

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Mar 8, 2017

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My original statement was based on the Google definitions that appear when you search "expedient definition", and I was also aware that there are different dictionaries and that word meanings evolve over time. Rest easy, everyone!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah, but we're talking public schools here, so what's your point exactly?

e: like lol outright at you thinking that there are publicly funded schools that have piles of money, regardless of what level of competency you expect from your educational system, you're a really loving stupid person

LA has some expensive as gently caress public schools. Like, one was over half a billion dollars for construction.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I think the surprise for nearly everyone was that it can carry negative connotations at all, even if that's not always the case. Like I said, though, it's a word that's definitely losing its negative connotations so just give it a decade or so.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Again, you guys are mixing up connotation with denotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apparently there have occasionally been jaguar sightings in the southwestern United States. I had no idea they got that far north. I mean, I knew intellectually that there had to be some in Mexico, what with the Aztec and Mayan reverence for them, but I guess I just sort of mentally filed them as South American Mammals, Never To Get Further North Than Panama.