Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Fog Tripper posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I can only speak for myself. A fiscal conservative who does not like Trump, did not vote for him, but think the liberals and their ilk are the lowest form of people in government. I also think all drugs should be legal, regulated and taxed. But hey, it is fine that some fools in here lump me with the so called "alt-right nazi party"

Maybe because US citizens might benefit if people didn't treat it like a team sport?

AHAHAHAH BUT HER EMAILS

Dairy Days posted:

its extremely entertaining to see the right wing bringing this one out after the last 8 years

The craven hypocrisy from the right-wing is astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kjoery posted:

oh yeah, and he put the previous EIC of breitbart in one of the highest positions the security council, which definitely isnt suspicious or weird

Hey guys, he's not part of the establishment, he's totally gonna make America great again!

*appoints a bunch of right-wing hacks and billionaire donors to his advisory positions*

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Panzeh posted:

How will US citizens benefit from totally unquestioned Republican dominance? They play politics, too, so if you go out there trying not to, you just get owned.

They have dominance because people like you pushed moderates to their camp because they are embarrassed by your antics.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

sincx posted:

The Trump supporters here are literally just parrots reciting the Fox/Breitbart/pol party line: "give him a chance" "everyone should support the president" "FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS" "where's the evidence" "all the evidence is fake" "the president 'will not be questioned'".

If you think of them as broken records, dealing with their posts becomes a lot easier. You can just re-use the same responses because they can only use lines they've been fed by right wing media, so they run out of content quickly.

I voted for Hillary* which means I'm licensed to tell you that you're a moron for thinking that Russia "hacked the election" and you're an even bigger moron if you think anything will happen to Sessions or Trump based on an intelligence community assessment.

*Not at all trolling. I really did vote for Hillary.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

sincx posted:

AHAHAHAH BUT HER EMAILS

Please take your meds.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Hey guys, he's not part of the establishment, he's totally gonna make America great again!

*appoints a bunch of right-wing hacks and billionaire donors to his advisory positions*

hmmmmmmmm

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Fog Tripper posted:

They have dominance because people like you pushed moderates to their camp because they are embarrassed by your antics.

Kjoery posted:

dont forget all the variations of "this is why trump won". those are good too

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm glad he's gonna gently caress with NAFTA and shot down TPP but I think the travel ban was dumb. But I'm not gonna jump up and down and scream literally Hitler nor verbally suck the man's dick.

I'm not on the fence about anything but I do agree that team sport politics are stupid and a real problem. "Boy this sure is gonna piss off those other guys (who aren't human)" is probably the dumbest reason for anything.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Kjoery posted:

what is there to be on the fence about regarding the administration specifically?

trump was a pathological liar during his campaign, and their administration has been spreading falsehoods about petty stuff like inaug numbers, to serious things like fabricating incidents, attacking the free press, and weirdly lying about sweden

he came out of the gate with an illegal EO, and then immediately criticized the courts when they struck it down for being obviously illegal

by any reasonable means, one should be questioning and heavily scrutinizing every action the administration takes at this point

Other than his stance on the environment and abortion, I agree with all of his policies and EO poo poo. I also agree with his position on introducing term limits and bullying American corporations through tax law to reshore their staff.

That being said I dont think he or his cabinet shouldnt be criticised or held accountable for doing or saying dumb poo poo.

But so far i feel that none of the criticism seems to make a compelling argument against his policies and i think his opposition is spending a lot of time, effort and money clutching at straws

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'm glad he's gonna gently caress with NAFTA and shot down TPP but I think the travel ban was dumb. But I'm not gonna jump up and down and scream literally Hitler nor verbally suck the man's dick.

I'm not on the fence about anything but I do agree that team sport politics are stupid and a real problem. "Boy this sure is gonna piss off those other guys (who aren't human)" is probably the dumbest reason for anything.

Dems are really relying on public outrage at Trump. Which isn't an illogical strategy.

The problem is that it won't stick and they're emboldening Trump supporters and anti-establishment types.

I really wish they would drop the Russia stuff and start focusing on winning seats in 2018.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
The difference in party politics is one side wants to deny healthcare to the poor and starve children at schools so they can hide more tax money overseas, and one side pays lip service to not doing that, so I don't see why I really should see conservatives as poor misunderstood fellow countrymen when they are virulently idiotic.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the GOP wants the whole country to be like Kansas

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Tbh i think trump would have formed his own party instead of hijacking the republicans if he thought he could win

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SBJ posted:

Other than his stance on the environment and abortion, I agree with all of his policies and EO poo poo. I also agree with his position on introducing term limits and bullying American corporations through tax law to reshore their staff.

Do you really think Donald Trump is actually going to 'bully' his corporate buddies? He's going to do what he does through tax handjobs, not the other way. His cabinet is all billionaires and his congress is mostly in favor of corporations.

Doing nothing and laying down for Donald Trump will not help electoral chances in 2018 or 2020.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Mordor She Wrote posted:

starve children at schools
also eliminate the PBS!

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordor She Wrote posted:

The difference in party politics is one side wants to deny healthcare to the poor and starve children at schools so they can hide more tax money overseas, and one side pays lip service to not doing that, so I don't see why I really should see conservatives as poor misunderstood fellow countrymen when they are virulently idiotic.

Many Rust Belt Trump voters voted Obama in 2012.

Yes, there are racists. Yes, there are morons. But many of them are lower-middle class people who just want to be listened to and fought for.

How do you explain 53% of EDUCATED white women voting for Trump? Don't you want them to vote (D) next time? How do we get them to do that? Crying wolf about Russia?

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Do you really think Donald Trump is actually going to 'bully' his corporate buddies? He's going to do what he does through tax handjobs, not the other way. His cabinet is all billionaires and his congress is mostly in favor of corporations.

Doing nothing and laying down for Donald Trump will not help electoral chances in 2018 or 2020.

Trump would never lie, anything he said ever was twisted by the alt left to dismiss the alt right (which doesn't exist)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Frijolero posted:

How do you explain 53% of EDUCATED white women voting for Trump?

Educated doesn't mean not dumb. You'd have to be an idiot to think DONALD TRUMP should be the president. It's really that simple. A large number of Americans are just plain stupid.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Frijolero posted:

Yes, there are racists. Yes, there are morons. But many of them are lower-middle class people who just want to be listened to and fought for.

How do you explain 53% of EDUCATED white women voting for Trump? Don't you want them to vote (D) next time? How do we get them to do that? Crying wolf about Russia?

I don't think there is any coming back from this, half the country decided to actively be completely retarded and double down on it, you can explain policy to people all day but if they decide to listen to FW FW FW ALEX JONES FINDS PROOF TRUMP IS MESSIAH then it's all hosed. I speak as a lower middle class white person.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Frijolero posted:

I don't think you'll get their votes by surrendering to Trump or trying to show how 'principled' you are in opposition. I agree that Hillary had no message for the Rust Belt, but i'm not sure why that means the left should give up.

I also think it's really dumb that the DNC fuckers write this off as pure racism or whatever.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Panzeh posted:

I don't think you'll get their votes by surrendering to Trump or trying to show how 'principled' you are in opposition. I agree that Hillary had no message for the Rust Belt, but i'm not sure why that means the left should give up.

I also think it's really dumb that the DNC fuckers write this off as pure racism or whatever.

The left shouldnt give up or just lie down and take it but there are winning strategies that can help win back seats and public discourse and there are other strategies which consist of just freaking the gently caress out as much as possible.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I don't think there is any coming back from this, half the country decided to actively be completely retarded and double down on it, you can explain policy to people all day but if they decide to listen to FW FW FW ALEX JONES FINDS PROOF TRUMP IS MESSIAH then it's all hosed. I speak as a lower middle class white person.
if it makes you feel any better, technically only ~22% voted for trump, and hillary won the popular vote by two three million

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SBJ posted:

The left shouldnt give up or just lie down and take it but there are winning strategies that can help win back seats and public discourse and there are other strategies which consist of just freaking the gently caress out as much as possible.

I don't think it's pure freaking out to try and get one of your opponents for perjury.

This is politics. The right is playing it, it's time for the left to step up to the plate. Some of them are going to be whiffs but the right whiffed a lot too and still managed to win. Might as well be as disruptive to their agenda as possible.

You can do this while looking to win back seats.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Frijolero posted:

Donald Trump technically went to college but I would not call him educated

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Lol "why should I see other people as human beings when they disagree with me on who is the lesser evil"

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I don't think it's pure freaking out to try and get one of your opponents for perjury.

This is politics. The right is playing it, it's time for the left to step up to the plate. Some of them are going to be whiffs but the right whiffed a lot too and still managed to win. Might as well be as disruptive to their agenda as possible.

You can do this while looking to win back seats.
i suspect that for many people on the internet, this is their very first election theyve ever been really engaged in. theyre not used to how politics normally function, and have become really emotionally invested in the whole thing, making it sort of a sensitive issue

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Animal-Mother posted:

Educated doesn't mean not dumb. You'd have to be an idiot to think DONALD TRUMP should be the president. It's really that simple. A large number of Americans are just plain stupid.

Now imagine a party so hosed up that they lose to him.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

new phone who dis posted:

Now imagine a party so hosed up that they lose to him.

Yeah, it's a bummer. Then you realize there are Ds that actually voted for any of Trump's appointees. gently caress them all. If they can't show any kind of mettle, of course no one's going to believe them when they claim to be fighting the 1%

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

really queer Christmas posted:

Lol "why should I see other people as human beings when they disagree with me on who is the lesser evil"

Yeah, I don't think actively working to deny people health are, money, rights, and education can really be considered good.

"I'm just your average Joe, I go to work like you, have a family, and actively vote and work to destroy social services!"

"Just because I vote to deny women reproductive rights, and cut welfare, and education to financially cripple future generations, doesn't mean I'm a bad person, or that I vote against environmental protections, I don't live on a coast so why should I care that billions stand to loose their homes and lives because it might inconvenience me"

Mordor She Wrote fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 2, 2017

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, it's a bummer. Then you realize there are Ds that actually voted for any of Trump's appointees. gently caress them all. If they can't show any kind of mettle, of course no one's going to believe them when they claim to be fighting the 1%

Like seriously, I play devil's advocate in these threads because Trump has made people pants on head loving retarded. I don't want him or the Jesus freaks running the show. I'll be damned if the Dems and their orbiting pundit shitheads didn't richly deserve this, though. We will survive Trump, the question is whether or not the Dems will. All signs point to "nope".

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Panzeh posted:

good thing the people responsible for running the most inept campaign in Dem party history can point at russia and keep their 7 figure jobs figuring new ways to gently caress over the Sanders base and brainstorming the perfect Khaleesi memes for the 2020 Chelsea Clinton/Lena Dunham ticket

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Maya Fey posted:

good thing the people responsible for running the most inept campaign in Dem party history can point at russia and keep their 7 figure jobs figuring new ways to gently caress over the Sanders base and brainstorming the perfect Khaleesi memes for the 2020 Chelsea Clinton/Lena Dunham ticket

I honestly wouldn't be surprised lol

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

new phone who dis posted:

Like seriously, I play devil's advocate in these threads because Trump has made people pants on head loving retarded. I don't want him or the Jesus freaks running the show. I'll be damned if the Dems and their orbiting pundit shitheads didn't richly deserve this, though. We will survive Trump, the question is whether or not the Dems will. All signs point to "nope".

What gets me is that I was talking about Bernie to people and everyone tells me Hillary's the 'consummate politician' and would be much better at winning elections through her strategies and it turned out her strategy was to triangulate toward positions held in her social circles and not even really bother to campaign.

Then the postmortem for her is "america is just too racist/you berniebros sabotaged her".

That being said, I think the best approach is basically to fight every step of the way to 2018 and 2020. Donald Trump's strategy is to present the election as a majority getting fed up with the left, so it's important to show discontent to prevent that message from sticking. It's going to come off as whiny to the die hard trump guys but that's fine.

Maya Fey posted:

yeah, it sucks

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SAs only Republicans

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Panzeh posted:

yeah, it sucks

my point is that the focus on that russia thing is meant to let those people keep their death grip on the dem party. you need to question it not because it would help trump but because heads should be rolling at the dnc

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bernie would have wiped the floor in the national election lol

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Surely this manufactured controversy put forth in a coordinated attack from the "Real" news and the embarrassed DNC will be the thing to bring down Trump.

You can just copy and paste this for the next 6-36 months btw.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Panzeh posted:

What gets me is that I was talking about Bernie to people and everyone tells me Hillary's the 'consummate politician' and would be much better at winning elections through her strategies and it turned out her strategy was to triangulate toward positions held in her social circles and not even really bother to campaign.

Then the postmortem for her is "america is just too racist/you berniebros sabotaged her".

That being said, I think the best approach is basically to fight every step of the way to 2018 and 2020. Donald Trump's strategy is to present the election as a majority getting fed up with the left, so it's important to show discontent to prevent that message from sticking. It's going to come off as whiny to the die hard trump guys but that's fine.

yeah, it sucks

Eventually once everyone gets confirmed and situated, the ability to do this dries up. There's a lot of political capital you have to expend fighting for 4 or even 2 years to get this sort of thing done, and picking your battles is an important aspect of that. Creating this Russian mythology instead of dealing with their internal inconsistencies is only setting the stage for the Dems to fail again. Shutting down the largest and most politically charged group of progressives in generations while complaining about Russia is going to blow up spectacularly later down the line. You can't plan to drag the Russia thing out for 2 years to the midterms and hope it gets you a win. That's just insane. Especially if Trump enacts things that actually stimulate the economy and create more prosperity, even if only temporarily.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Yeah, I don't think actively working to deny people health are, money, rights, and education can really be considered good.

"I'm just your average Joe, I go to work like you, have a family, and actively vote and work to destroy social services!"

"Just because I vote to deny women reproductive rights, and cut welfare, and education to financially cripple future generations, doesn't mean I'm a bad person, or that I vote against environmental protections, I don't live on a coast so why should I care that billions stand to loose their homes and lives because it might inconvenience me"

So silly question I know, but have you talked to some of the people you're strawmanning here? Because most people don't go in to voting booths with the explicit intention to make the world a worse place. Some do and it's regrettable and others vote to better themselves maybe only in the short term.

But like, a good amount of right wing people Ive talked to believe that a right wing position is actually going to fix healthcare, or education, or any other thing. Are they wrong? Yes, but you don't get them to change their minds by angrily calling them evil and that they are dooming everyone around them. You engage them and listen and try to convince them, and if you can't then you leave it be and focus on someone who is willing to listen.

Screaming at people just shuts them down and they get defensive, and you get nowhere with them.

Moridin920 posted:

bernie would have wiped the floor in the national election lol

:yeah:

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Maya Fey posted:

my point is that the focus on that russia thing is meant to let those people keep their death grip on the dem party. you need to question it not because it would help trump but because heads should be rolling at the dnc
you know, its possible to be skeptical about all of the connections between trumps campaign + admin and russia while simultaneously hating the dnc. these are not mutually exclusive things

• Locked thread