Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

algebra testes posted:

Goddammit now someone mentioned it I'm hearing the laugh track too.

My one disappointment with the new Lasagna Cat is that they got rid of that one ridiculous laugh on the laugh track.

hahahaha HYAAH haa haa haa

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

anyone else hearing Krankor's laugh, or just me? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LNS_Y90iLo

Great, now I have to re-watch Prince of Space. :mad:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

He got the lyric wrong I think, in addition to everything else that's wrong with that strip. You can have a town?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
My mood is sour, marking shite papers and dealing with a final year student situation that has all of the potential for a long, drawn out issue of appeals and Christ knows what else...I'll just check on the funnies thread, that always che--

oh for gently caress's sake. t :mad:

Kennel posted:

Today's Dogg

Somehow, some way, someone with actual photoshop skills needs to swop this creature's face with the one I made with that cat algorithm

PS -- the actual lyrics

Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have it all, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (January 2, 1930)

Peanuts (March 5, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 23-24, 1930)

Thimble Theater (September 19, 1930)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

FINALLY

I don't like doing walls of comics, but I'm going to take this opportunity before Comics Kingdom and/or my connection poo poo their pants again.

Prince Valiant

Luann

Managing to slut shame and Loser-Can't-Get-Laid shame in the same conversation. Impressive. This is our protagonist.

The Amazing Spider-Man

The Kree Sentry is on SHROOMS

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Die heroically, apparently.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Oh my, Hil has an Aggretsuko notebook :kimchi: . Good choice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvClxgjYJZ4

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Monty doesn't get mentioned a lot, but I wanted to say thanks for posting it. I think it's my un-ironic favorite of the currently running US strips. The characters are all dorks without being cringe-worthy and the humor is sort of lame but charming. It's like Piranha Club done right.

Thanks for saying so. You should send a note to the artist, I'm sure it will brighten up his day. Sorry I post in fits and spurts, but that's just how it goes.

E: Though taking a quick look I have no clue HOW you'd contact him. His twitter looks all but dead and I can't see an email address to use, so I dunno.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 2, 2017

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I also enjoy Monty a lot. The only downside to Monty is it's followed by Mike.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mike drags down the thread a lot more than Monty improves it, and that's no dig at Monty.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 2, 2017

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I also enjoy Monty a lot. The only downside to Monty is it's followed by Mike.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mike drags down the thread a lot more than Monty improves it, and that's no dig at Monty.

You may have noticed a change lately. Don't belly ache too much or he'll be back.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

algebra testes posted:

Goddammit now someone mentioned it I'm hearing the laugh track too.

Now to wonder what track they'd use for the post strip piss take.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Just gonna dump some edits from the Newspaper Spider-Man thread:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

now that you mention it

Thanks for posting Monty and also Retail, and I was always glad to see them even when you did also post Mike (but please don't).

unrelated:
I keep coming back to this last panel and thinking, Phoebe has gathered a lot of my good will over the years and deserves better than immediate harsh putdowns when things don't go right one day, but things have not gone right.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I keep coming back to this last panel and thinking, Phoebe has gathered a lot of my good will over the years and deserves better than immediate harsh putdowns when things don't go right one day, but things have not gone right.

Yeah, I almost said something myself when I posted it. Dana Simpson is capable of better than that, so it's disappointing to see her produce something like that last panel.

That bike looks pretty hardcore, until you notice the training wheels.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

You may have noticed a change lately. Don't belly ache too much or he'll be back.

Hah, sorry, I'm so used to skipping Mike that I just just assume I did it when reading your comic updates :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBhR4QcBtE

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I also have always enjoyed Monty. The "good" comics don't get as much feedback as the bad ones. I guess that's just because how many times can you say "Heh. I kind of liked that one!"

Actually:

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pooch Café

I usually like PC, but this one gave me a pretty good laugh today.

F Minus

It is notable that it is not apparent who won that argument.

Mary Worth

They don't even mention drugs today. If I was just coming across this random strip I would assume it was about sex.

Rex Morgan MD

"Pack your things!"
"I'm going to England?!?!"
"No! You're fired!"

Secret Agent X-9

"Hold him tight, F-21! Never let him go! Tell him you love him!"

Apartment 3-G

Gee I wonder why they don't want him to have visitors.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Anybody up for some 80’s comics? I sure am! I’ve got a couple of new old strips that I’m planning to start scanning and sharing with all y’all every whenever-I-feel-like-it. Are they good? I don’t know! I haven’t read them yet! Could be great, could be horrible. Let’s find out together, shall we?

First up, did you know Star Trek used to be a newspaper comic? It sure was! I’ve always been way more interested in Trek than Wars, so while it turns out that both franchises had newspaper strips, this is the only one I’m interested in reading or posting. The strip was published from 1979 to 1983, though the volume I’m working from only goes up to ‘81. It’s set in the Movie era, which is not my favorite era of OG Trek, but eh, whatevs. Apparently there was a Trek strip written in the swingin’ 60’s and while that would be interesting to see, let’s work with what we’ve got here. For any other introductory info you need, here’s some ad copy used back in the day to sell the strip to papers:

And now for the first storyline, which the collection has titled “Called Home.”

My next strip is actually the whole reason this post exists because as soon as I heard about this, I wanted to have it. There was actually a Masters of the Universe newspaper comic. That’s right, He-Man. The volume I have has little other information about it than that it lasted four years and it’s about He-Man. You want to know when these strips originally ran? You don’t deserve to know! Even the Forward mostly just establishes the archiver’s nerd creds and talks about what a pain in the rear end it was to collect these strips. Google? Pff. What’s that? I’m not going to put any more work into researching this thing than the book did. Let’s get down to business. Here’s the beginning of the first story, written by Jim Shull and drawn by Gerald Forton, “Day of the Comet.” (Also, curses! These pages are ever-so-slightly wider than my scanner, so the side of a couple of these things got snipped. I will take care to make sure this doesn’t happen with future scans. Shouldn’t mess up your ability to read today’s, though!)

There you have it! Let me know if the posting size and image quality is ok, or if there's anything (easy) I can do to improve either. If you do end up liking either of these strips, by the way, I highly recommend you pick up the collections. They’re both very nice and would look lovely on your coffee table.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Julet Esqu posted:

Bunch of cool stuff

I am 1000% on board with these getting posted regularly. And I'm also shocked to see uniforms from the first Star Trek movie in, well, anything other than the first Star Trek movie.

No real comments on quality or anything, but if you ever track down that '60s Trek strip I'd be interested in it as well.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

The "everyone else is more mature than you" conversation. I've had many friends give me those conversations. Never stops hurting.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

And I'm also shocked to see uniforms from the first Star Trek movie in, well, anything other than the first Star Trek movie.

Judging by that intro page, this comic probably was made to promote The Motion Picture.

I definitely look forward to more, Julet Esqu.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

That's a primo Feuti face.

I've come to the realization that Val (on the right in that comic) is his idea of an elaborate character design.

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

Thirding interest in those comics but I've never understood why he-man had a secret identity. He's the prince! Skeletor is already trying to kill him and his loved ones! What's the point?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

the better Hanson song.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Maslovo posted:

Thirding interest in those comics but I've never understood why he-man had a secret identity. He's the prince! Skeletor is already trying to kill him and his loved ones! What's the point?
It's a narrative device the tv show uses to lower costs by enabling them to fill multiple minutes per episode with a generic transformation scene to protect his loved ones, as usual. The key thing is that as a vehicle to sell toys the writers of He-Man didn't bother to have internal consistency Skeletor's goal has always been to assault Castle Greyskull and the Sorceress rather than the Royal Family - the episodes where he fucks with them happen because the writer for that episode assumes his "take over Eternia" goal is to assume kingship rather than ultimate magical power by breaching Greyskull fairly rarely.

I'm really interested to see how these go - off to a promising start with multiple Two Bad insults without a repeat!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
God help me, I'm actually kind of starting to like Intelligent Life when it is only focusing on Barry and Gwen.

Baldo veers into making a point for a second, then steers way the hell back.

Those clowns in congress are at it again.

Wizard of Id feels so alone, gonna end up a big ol pile of them bones

Big Nate

Wallace the Brave

Will post Curtis later.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Mountaineer posted:

Judging by that intro page, this comic probably was made to promote The Motion Picture.

I definitely look forward to more, Julet Esqu.

I completely agree, there are loving great!

Too bad we won't see the Star Wars one though :(

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SomeMathGuy posted:

I am 1000% on board with these getting posted regularly. And I'm also shocked to see uniforms from the first Star Trek movie in, well, anything other than the first Star Trek movie.

No real comments on quality or anything, but if you ever track down that '60s Trek strip I'd be interested in it as well.

I think a while ago somebody did. If I remember right, it was a UK strip, and for the first several weeks they kept on calling Kirk 'Kirt.'

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Wait - it's been 4 weeks, not 2.

Did Ruthie just piss herself in the doggy door?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Thanks for posting Monty and also Retail, and I was always glad to see them even when you did also post Mike (but please don't).
I could make it worse.
Barney & Clyde(March 2, 2017)

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (March, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (June, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (June, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (June, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (May, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (November, 1940)

Tweedy (December, 1955, click for big)

Archie (October, 1955, click for big)

Jaf (1970)

Feiffer (1971, click for big)

Andy Capp (March, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (April, 1971, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (November, 2009, click for big)

Let's move back - to January 2006. You'll like this story - there's more violence.
Dick Tracy (January, 2006, click for big)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I appreciate anyone who posts comics from Comics Kingdom, because that site is dogshit. Seriously, it's an embarrassment.
The worst thing is, their old site was much better. The announced this big upgrade that came with higher resolution comics and archives going back further, but aside from those two things they made everything worse, and the archives aren't even useful since it takes so long to load anything that it's far too annoying to read through them.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

:stare:

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

A drum! :monocle:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

A drum! :monocle:

Ah, spaghetti, the hippest food around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Six (January 2-8, 1956)

• Locked thread