Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah the closest Microcenter is two and a half hours away from me. We haven't had a big box computer store in town since CompUSA closed down over a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FaustianQ posted:

How not? I'm seeing Ivy processors keeping up with it, and it can barely keep up with Haswell according to Stilt on Anandtech.

It's fine, and "barely keep up with Haswell" is a decent result given that Broadwell was a teeny tiny improvement over Haswell. The truth is somewhere in the middle, it's better at some things and worse at others than Intel's chips. It's competitively priced for things that want 6+ slower cores and a decent product overall.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rabid Snake posted:

How is VR benchmarking going to work? As someone who got a vive over the winter I'm interested in some VR benchmarks

It works with great difficulty. Until FCAT VR launched a few days ago there was no way to benchmark VR robustly, and even now it's time consuming and expensive.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-FCAT-VR-Preview-New-Performance-Tool

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

How not? I'm seeing Ivy processors keeping up with it, and it can barely keep up with Haswell according to Stilt on Anandtech.

No you're dead right, the TDPs are fantasy at best, the 1700X and 1800X are boosting way past 95W (basically Haswell-E TDP) and the IPC is poor as hell

Edit: GN "hard recommendation against 1800X for gaming because there's better and cheaper processors".

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Deuce posted:

This idiot thinks turning off v-sync means his GPU can't be the bottleneck.

While staring at 99% pegged GPU utilization and less than 50% CPU utilization on the Ryzen.

Yeah, I think we see why there's an outlier.

Except the Gamers Nexus guy isn't disputing his results.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Measly Twerp posted:

Except the Gamers Nexus guy isn't disputing his results.

He didn't really look at the results, though. That GPU was pegged at 99% the entire time.

That's not to say it's a bad test, this is good information. But it is demonstrating that the GPU is the primary limit here. There's no disputing the results because the results aren't wrong. They're just not the best test when the question is "is the 7700k faster than the 1700 in gaming?"

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Given how hard some posters are coming down on Ryzen, I have to wonder who drank the koolaid harder? r/AMD, or goons?

eames
May 9, 2009

Turns out that the R7 1700 is be the only really sensible Ryzen CPU for :pcgaming: unless you absolutely don't want to overclock. That runs at reasonable temperatures stock and overclocks up to 3.8-3.9 Ghz which is about as high as you want to go without watercooling. XFR is supported but seems fairly pointless.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

Given how hard some posters are coming down on Ryzen, I have to wonder who drank the koolaid harder? r/AMD, or goons?

/r/AMD will tell you the FX-9500 series was great and the 1800X is a gift from God himself. The goon threads seem to have mostly expected Haswell-E and are at most disappointed we were right on the money.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Paul MaudDib posted:

No you're dead right, the TDPs are fantasy at best, the 1700X and 1800X are boosting way past 95W (basically Haswell-E TDP) and the IPC is poor as hell

Edit: GN "hard recommendation against 1800X for gaming because there's better and cheaper processors".

You're doing a real good impression of "only concerned with processor gaming performance :fishmech:" today

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

PerrineClostermann posted:

Uhh, goons are saying "7700k is still better for games, Ryzen good for many-threaded operations but has some version 1.0 problems" which is 100% accurate.

r/AMD is saying Ryzen the above proves we're Intel shills.

We're now able to see through the pre-release marketing bullshit AMD was throwing around, and it's totally fair to point that out. And it's not like anyone is pretending Intel isn't full of the same poo poo.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Deuce posted:

He didn't really look at the results, though. That GPU was pegged at 99% the entire time.

That's not to say it's a bad test, this is good information. But it is demonstrating that the GPU is the primary limit here. There's no disputing the results because the results aren't wrong. They're just not the best test when the question is "is the 7700k faster than the 1700 in gaming?"

I hear you, different test means different results, and it's wrong to compare them and say "Aha, maybe Ryzen this..."

People are making out Ryzen as a complete failure for gaming just because those other tests show it performing poorly, however I don't think those tests can be particularly useful in judging the experience of actually gaming on a Ryzen if at 1080p Ultra it's already more than capable of pushing a GTX 1080 to the limit 99% of the time.

Am I thinking incorrectly?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
e: bad joke

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 4, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Uh, 1800X 8% behind the 6900K stock to stock, so 12% clockspeed advantage to be 8% slower? Where in reality that makes it 25% slower clock for clock? That's just bad, just not as horrifically bad as before.

Twerk from Home posted:

It's fine, and "barely keep up with Haswell" is a decent result given that Broadwell was a teeny tiny improvement over Haswell. The truth is somewhere in the middle, it's better at some things and worse at others than Intel's chips. It's competitively priced for things that want 6+ slower cores and a decent product overall.

The truth isn't somewhere in the middle here, it's a low clock-speed, high efficiency processor with Ivy Bridge-E capability in TYOOL2017 (that like Ivy can keep up but has to be pushed beyond reasonable limits). AMD moved from awful to mediocre. This might be acceptable for mobile or APU/NPU use, for performance and even server I don't see it.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Measly Twerp posted:

I hear you, different test means different results, and it's wrong to compare them and say "Aha, maybe Ryzen this..."

People are making out Ryzen as a complete failure for gaming just because those other tests show it performing poorly, however I don't think those tests can be particularly useful in judging the experience of actually gaming on a Ryzen if at 1080p Ultra it's already more than capable of pushing a GTX 1080 to the limit 99% of the time.

Am I thinking incorrectly?

No, I had the same thought. "Even a GTX 1080 can still be the bottleneck on a Ryzen" is good news. You may not get all the FPS of a 7700k, but you can get pretty close and gain a ton of multitasking power on top of it.

And in higher resolution gaming, which anyone pondering a $300-500 CPU is definitely a candidate for, the difference does get smaller.

Ryzen is good. It just wasn't the miracle that /r/AMD believes it is, and that goons really wanted it to be. Everyone wants the Big Blue rear end in a top hat to get punched in the balls, but I'll settle for the kick to the shins.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

Uh, 1800X 8% behind the 6900K stock to stock, so 12% clockspeed advantage to be 8% slower? Where in reality that makes it 25% slower clock for clock? That's just bad, just not as horrifically bad as before.

The truth isn't somewhere in the middle here, it's a low clock-speed, high efficiency processor with Ivy Bridge-E capability in TYOOL2017 (that like Ivy can keep up but has to be pushed beyond reasonable limits). AMD moved from awful to mediocre. This might be acceptable for mobile or APU/NPU use, for performance and even server I don't see it.

IB-e is what the pessimistic assumptions were. Again, remember how I was repeatedly reminding everyone to chill the gently caress out and not ride the hype train until Steve proved what was in the box of magic beans? Haswell IPC was a nice fantasy while it lasted tho

it's garbage but at least it's not bulldozer, it's what we expected a month ago before the hype train got started

Deuce posted:

No, I had the same thought. "Even a GTX 1080 can still be the bottleneck on a Ryzen" is good news. You may not get all the FPS of a 7700k, but you can get pretty close and gain a ton of multitasking power on top of it.

loving lol, it's a simple formula, 1440p/4K + any modern processor = GPU bottleneck, you could almost certainly even do that on something with IPC as garbage as bulldozer

Seeing Steve asked how to explain GPU bottlenecks to Freshman Reviewer #77 was awesome, and he didn't even try to try.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

How do you not see it for server? The $330 1700 walks all over the $420 E5-2620 v4. Intel's cheap 8 core server SKUs have a 2.1 GHz base clock!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely a messy launch but eh, AMD. The actual results aren't really surprising at all, an 8-core was never going to be competitive with faster 4C in games. And it actually looks great at bang/buck in most heavy productivity loads, AVX2 aside. It's funny that there are probably kids now who are into PCs (so both of them) for whom AMD's been utter poo poo their entire lives, so this must come as a huge surprise :v:

I don't do as much gaming as I used to and 8 cores are great for rendering or machine learning uses so an overclocked 1700 might be a consideration, depending on how well it clocks in practice.

E: I'm not too optimistic about the 4c Ryzen beating the 7700k (except on price) though

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 2, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FaustianQ posted:

What is the word on when mobile Ryzen stuff is coming out anyway? There hasn't been a worthwhile AMD laptop outside of a certain kind of low end device ever, after all.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

loving lol, it's a simple formula, 1440p/4K + any modern processor = GPU bottleneck, you could almost certainly even do that on something with IPC as garbage as bulldozer

Seeing Steve asked how to explain GPU bottlenecks to Freshman Reviewer #77 was awesome, and he didn't even try to try.

I guess as someone yet to experience true 60fps gaming at 1080p Ultra none of this seems particularly relevant.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Deuce posted:

And in higher resolution gaming, which anyone pondering a $300-500 CPU is definitely a candidate for, the difference does get smaller.

Ryzen is good. It just wasn't the miracle that /r/AMD believes it is, and that goons really wanted it to be. Everyone wants the Big Blue rear end in a top hat to get punched in the balls, but I'll settle for the kick to the shins.

All performance aside though, what really matters is sales. If enough people buy Ryzen then it doesn't really matter if Intel processors are better by whatever measure. I hope Ryzen is a huge success in terms of sales and we see an end to Intel thinking it's "normal" to sell $1k+ consumer chips.

e: the 1800x is out of stock on newegg and Amazon! The only ones left are from vendors trying to charge $650+.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 3, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 4, 2017

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Pawn 17 posted:

All performance aside though, what really matters is sales. If enough people buy Ryzen then it doesn't really matter if Intel processors are better by whatever measure. I hope Ryzen is a huge success in terms of sales and we see an end to Intel thinking it's "normal" to sell $1k+ consumer chips.

Considering the last time that AMD has an actual proper performance lead over Intel back in the original FX days, they did exactly what Intel did and sold a 1000 dollar halo product chip, it is pretty normal.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Paul MaudDib posted:

Except that was referring to the guy who was apparently managing to GPU bottleneck on 1080 ultra, not 1440P/4K.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pawn 17 posted:

Indeed, the victory of AMD:Champion of the People over the Foul Demon Intel is paramount, benchmarks and everything else pale in comparison to this noble and shining quest!

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

How do you not see it for server? The $330 1700 walks all over the $420 E5-2620 v4. Intel's cheap 8 core server SKUs have a 2.1 GHz base clock!

Because servers already have access to this kind of performance and all Intel has to do to counter it is offer the old poo poo at discount while offering the new poo poo at current premium. This isn't rocket science, Intel isn't going to let AMD a single sale if they can help it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pawn 17 posted:

I think you fundamentally misunderstand the business if you think the existence of chips that are expensive but not officially labeled as "enterprise" instead of "consumer" is a problem really. And also if you think expensive chips are going to go away.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Because servers already have access to this kind of performance and all Intel has to do to counter it is offer the old poo poo at discount while offering the new poo poo at current premium. This isn't rocket science, Intel isn't going to let AMD a single sale if they can help it.

Hey if this knocks 30% off off E5 Xeon prices that's a huge win for every company not named Intel. That would be an achievement.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

fishmech posted:

I think you fundamentally misunderstand the business if you think the existence of chips that are expensive but not officially labeled as "enterprise" instead of "consumer" is a problem really. And also if you think expensive chips are going to go away.

Go away? No. The Best of the Best will always have a premium. But that premium can shrink when a solid competitor is present.

You know, because business.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

fishmech posted:

What is the word on when mobile Ryzen stuff is coming out anyway? There hasn't been a worthwhile AMD laptop outside of a certain kind of low end device ever, after all.

Mobile is Q2 or H2, not sure.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Indeed, the victory of AMD:Champion of the People over the Foul Demon Intel is paramount, benchmarks and everything else pale in comparison to this noble and shining quest!

I'm saying competition, in any market, is good for consumers. A monopoly is not. It doesn't seem like that controversial of a thing to say. :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Deuce posted:

Go away? No. The Best of the Best will always have a premium. But that premium can shrink when a solid competitor is present.

You know, because business.

Didn't happen last time AMD was at all competitive, why would it happen now?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pawn 17 posted:

I'm saying competition, in any market, is good for consumers. A monopoly is not. It doesn't seem like that controversial of a thing to say. :shrug:

Yes, actual competition would be good, but what I got from your post is that you hope people will buy an inferior product just so that Intel has competition. Hoping that consumers fall for hype and screw themselves over seems to go right against why competition is a good thing in the first place.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Ok that's all very nice for people who love streaming themselves using a software encoder doing raytracing hobbywork while also compiling Linux and some light cryptography on the side.
Now where's my 5GHz 4/4

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

It upclocks very poorly, this seems to be an architecture made for stuffing as many lower-power 2.5-3.0ghz cores as possible which while great for server usage isn't going to translate well to :pcgaming: that wants fewer incredibly fast threads.

Also, why the unholy gently caress is SMT broken on release? :psyboom:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Ok that's all very nice for people who love streaming themselves using a software encoder doing raytracing hobbywork while also compiling Linux and some light cryptography on the side.
Now where's my 5GHz 4/4

My dude have you heard of the 7700K

Woden
May 6, 2006

fishmech posted:

Didn't happen last time AMD was at all competitive, why would it happen now?

Because Intel isn't still doing the same poo poo that led to the 1.45 billion dollar fine?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Woden posted:

Because Intel isn't still doing the same poo poo that led to the 1.45 billion dollar fine?

And that's going to lead to not still selling very expensive high end processors because: _____

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

sauer kraut posted:

Now where's my 5GHz 4/4

That's literally the Kaby Lake i5.

E: On another tangent, now that I think about it, one of the reasons people are saying to go with a Ryzen over a Kaby Lake for gaming purposes is for streaming. Now that I think about it, the consumer CPU's have dedicated encoding hardware on them so you can use Quicksync. I haven't used QS yet myself, though plan to test it soon, wouldn't QS be plenty for the casual streamer for little performance hit?

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It upclocks very poorly, this seems to be an architecture made for stuffing as many lower-power 2.5-3.0ghz cores as possible which while great for server usage isn't going to translate well to :pcgaming: that wants fewer incredibly fast threads.

Also, why the unholy gently caress is SMT broken on release? :psyboom:

It's probably similar to the issue Bulldozer had with it at launch with its "modules"

Windows 8+ had a fix for it that allowed it to gain like 15% performance vs Windows 7. Probably a similar patch needs to be released, but it also launched in the month that there was no Patch Tuesday sooo.. Who knows.

Also It looks like they are pushing it a little farther 1800X @ 5.8Ghz

• Locked thread