Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

"Niceties" are often given a negative connotation! Cool.

I think nice today is still used really euphemistically. I know I tend to use it when I want to avoid dissing on something but I can't outright lie and say something was good.

So I just say "It was nice." A sort of fine or alright in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nessus posted:

Why even have the Rings if you're not going to use them?

to know the age of maiar and elves when they die

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

"Niceties" are often given a negative connotation! Cool.

I didn't know niceties ever had positive connotations. Interesting.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Meduseld must always be a safe and special place. The followers of Gandalf Lathspell were very rude last night to a very good man, Gríma. Apologize!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The return of the king is imminent.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...usaolp00000058&

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

More rightful claim than Aragorn had.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Execute for treason imo.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

a ragged house long bereft of lordship imo

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hogge Wild posted:

More rightful claim than Aragorn had.

Perhaps, but has he slain a pirate captain in single, hand-to-hand combat lately?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The weirdest thing about that (I mean besides the obvious) is that he's claiming descent from the Kings of Wales, not England. So even if he could prove it, all he would be demonstrating is a claim to the theoretical crone of Wales, which hasn't existed since it was annexed by England. I mean he could return to Wales and claim his birthright and try to raise an army to seize independence or something, but nothing about his claim entitles him to the throne of England. :shrug: Why would you go to all that trouble and not at least claim the right lineage?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ashcans posted:

The weirdest thing about that (I mean besides the obvious) is that he's claiming descent from the Kings of Wales, not England. So even if he could prove it, all he would be demonstrating is a claim to the theoretical crone of Wales, which hasn't existed since it was annexed by England. I mean he could return to Wales and claim his birthright and try to raise an army to seize independence or something, but nothing about his claim entitles him to the throne of England. :shrug: Why would you go to all that trouble and not at least claim the right lineage?

Elendil wasn't King of Gondor, either.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ashcans posted:

Isn't one of the titles of the crown prince Prince of Wales?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

skasion posted:

Elendil wasn't King of Gondor, either.
Elendil was High King of Gondar and Arnor? I feel like I'm misunderstanding something.

Oracle posted:

Generally, yes, but that title is simply granted by the reigning monarch, it isn't hereditary and isn't actually linked to succession. When the current Prince of Wales ascends to the Throne, the title is merged with the crown until he appoints a new one - similarly if he dies, his heir doesn't automatically inherit the title. Although its traditional to appoint the heir apparent, they don't get it automatically and not having it doesn't do anything to their lawful inheritance (it took Prince Charles several years to be named Prince of Wales, but he was still the heir apparent that whole time and would have ascended if Elizabeth II had died).

This also means that demonstrating your rightful succession to the theoretical inherited title of Prince of Wales (doesn't actually exist and was extinguished in the 13th century when the last prince was killed in battle and Wales annexed) doesn't actually mean that you get to be the heir of the United Kingdom; it would just mean that you are technically the 'real' Prince of Wales. You could try to depose Prince Charles, but replacing him doesn't make you heir apparent to the throne.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Oracle posted:

yes, because edward I conquered the last independent prince of wales, llywelyn ap gruffudd, and passed the title to his son. there's never been a unified 'king of wales' though and no one on earth cares if you can trace your lineage back to the king of powys or whatever.

also, royal lineage is super common. poo poo, i can claim descent through the Plantagenet kings to the kings of wessex and the princes of gwynedd and no one cares.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Modern royalty is like just some big family inherited fortune, right? Do they even have jobs? What pays for all their poo poo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Elendil was High King of Gondar and Arnor? I feel like I'm misunderstanding something.

Yeah, I was thinking Isildur, but now that I look at it he and Anarion were joint kings in Gondor while Elendil was alive, so that doesn't work either.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

SHISHKABOB posted:

Modern royalty is like just some big family inherited fortune, right? Do they even have jobs? What pays for all their poo poo.

a lot of it is private income. the crown also owns a huge amount of land which is managed through a trust and which generates another huge chunk of income. money also comes from the Treasury each year to pay for things like upkeep of buckingham and travel expenses for all of their diplomatic and state business.

they do have jobs. the queen consults regularly with the PM and heads the church of england, although that bit doesn't actually entail much. she also signs off on all laws passed by parliament.

basically having a monarch and a royal family means having people to do all the diplomatic gland-handing while leaving the prime minister free to do his actual job.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I believe if you count royal accoutrements like the Tower of London, Crown Jewels, etc., You can argue that the royal family generates a massive amount of tourism revenue. Royal babies sell a lot of commemorative plates.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

chernobyl kinsman posted:

also, royal lineage is super common. poo poo, i can claim descent through the Plantagenet kings to the kings of wessex and the princes of gwynedd and no one cares.
If you decide to march on Cardiff to liberate her from the English oppressor, you have my spear!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think there are some minor monarchs in Europe who have recognized rights but still have actual jobs? I can't recall who though. Generally a lot of members of the royal families do get actual jobs - Prince Harry is a pilot, for instance. For the most part, modern monarchs just serve as the ceremonial head of state for their respective countries (or if you are the queen of england, for multiple countries!) which means that they undertake a lot of cermonial engagements and appearing at various places as a representative of the country or the state. So for example, the Queen will turn up at the Chelsea Flower Show, or she'll attend the anniversary of the London Underground, or appear for the presentation of awards. Generally this is kind of a lot of tedious glad-handing, but they (being in this case the Queen and the Prince of Wales) do literally hundreds of these a year. You can actually see their diaries online, and its mostly tons of receptions, awards, and hosting. There is potentially something to be said for having people do this so that it doesn't distract the head of government from more practical duties, but most countries get along fine without them.

This is a reasonable answer to 'who pays for their poo poo' for the Queen, and the answer is mostly 'she is really wealthy and gets a cut from the crown estates from the treasury'. I think this pretty typical to the remaining European monarchs, but you still get monarchs that take a more direct approach in profiting from their countries.

Edit: Kind of beaten but oh well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The duchy of Lancaster is basically a private reit that she gets revenue from . It works out pretty well.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Abolish the monarchy, either in the pretender to Elendil's throne or in the stewardship!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I believe if you count royal accoutrements like the Tower of London, Crown Jewels, etc., You can argue that the royal family generates a massive amount of tourism revenue. Royal babies sell a lot of commemorative plates.

it's good poo poo. long may she reign

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
monarchies have no problems that a guillotine couldn't solve

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

A while ago in this thread someone alluded to a post or article the argument of which was that the Silmarillion is a syncretic work blending the Numenorean demiurge Melkor into the polytheistic legends of the Gnomes and their war with the Orc-king Morgoth. Anyone have a link to that?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

A direct descendant from an unbroken line dating back almost 2000 years sounds bloody unlikely, however, I'll eat my hat to see these supposed records.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Octy posted:

A direct descendant from an unbroken line dating back almost 2000 years sounds bloody unlikely, however, I'll eat my hat to see these supposed records.

Elves.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Octy posted:

If you're talking about the "Prince" of Wales, the article mentions that his records were conveniently destroyed in a fire back in 1901.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, then again, there is this guy who may have a better claim to the Welsh throne https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Watkin_Williams-Wynn,_11th_Baronet

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The 13-hour BBC radio adaptation of LoTR is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRTkZ7QVEas

Catch while you can. If you haven't heard it before it is well worth hearing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Octy posted:

The numenorians did have longer lives than regular Men. Also Elves looking out for them. Elrond was born before Numenor was even made, wasn't he?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nessus posted:

The numenorians did have longer lives than regular Men. Also Elves looking out for them. Elrond was born before Numenor was even made, wasn't he?

Yes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aragorns direct line is in the appendix

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sorry, where in the books does it discuss Numenorean anatomy? I think you've got confused there

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
ahaha

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

euphronius posted:

Aragorns direct line is in the appendix

Trin Tragula posted:

Sorry, where in the books does it discuss Numenorean anatomy? I think you've got confused there

I love this thread. :allears:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

skasion posted:

A while ago in this thread someone alluded to a post or article the argument of which was that the Silmarillion is a syncretic work blending the Numenorean demiurge Melkor into the polytheistic legends of the Gnomes and their war with the Orc-king Morgoth. Anyone have a link to that?

I dunno what specifically that poster was referencing, but that idea originates with Tolkein himself:

Morgoth's Ring, Myths Transformed posted:

It is now clear to me that in any case the Mythology must actually be a 'Mannish' affair. (Men are really only interested in Men and in Men's ideas and visions.) The High Eldar living and being tutored by the demiurgic beings must have known, or at least their writers and loremasters must have known, the 'truth' (according to their measure of understanding). What we have in the Silmarillion etc. are traditions (especially personalized, and centered upon actors, such as Fëanor) handed on by Men in Númenor and later in Middle-earth (Arnor and Gondor); but already far back - from the first association of Dúnedain and Elf-friends with the Eldar in Beleriand - blended and confused with their own Mannish myths and cosmic ideas.

Not very specific but that really does open up what the Silmarillion is supposed to be to interpretation. I'm down with the idea that it's a garbled 'history' where men injected monotheism on top of old pagan myths. Would love to read that article if it exists!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Trin Tragula posted:

They were so strong and so pure that even their appendix grew to drat near a foot long. Also thread: How do we convince Ingmar Bergman to come back to life and direct a film adaptation of The Children of Hurin?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

extra stout posted:

Also thread: How do we convince Ingmar Bergman to come back to life and direct a film adaptation of The Children of Hurin?

I think we'd need a virgin sacrifice. Good thing we've got goons to spare.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

jivjov posted:

uh, we all got hosed by the Hobbit trilogy???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

jivjov posted:

We shall burn like the heathen goons of old