Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Way cooler than some overweight truck masquerading as a cadillac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Looks like when Windows XP crashed and you could drag a dialog box across the screen and it'd replicate itself into a weird centipede of windows.

Should have called it the Saturn Centipede.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That's awesome(ly terrible). I can't imagine the plastic panels are bullet proof, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Larrymer posted:

That's awesome(ly terrible). I can't imagine the plastic panels are bullet proof, though.

But they saved a billion dollars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

Imagine how much nicer the President would be to everyone they meet.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wanna go to this park.

*edit: dude I know bought an NSX last year and has basically spent the majority of the time taking it all to bits, cleaning and spraying everything before buttoning it all back together. He's pretty meticulous about his cars and it shows.

He's delved into his work's archive and fished out the 3D scan they did of the car when they had it in to get measurements off years ago. He's doing this because he wants to make sure his wheel fitment is perfect and still fully functional because he wants to blat it round some tracks.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 27, 2017

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
3D scanning to make sure some wheels fit is swinging deep into the autism spectrum.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess just looking up the stock wheel specs and mounting them on the vehicle is too simple.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Nah, I think the more autistic thing is to sit on the internet and talk poo poo about people actually doing things in real life.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It makes sense if he's trying to check clearance at full bump and lock.

If it's for geometry, I'd think doing it mathematically is more accurate.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That and it's his job so he's not doing anything too out of the ordinary, just makes me smile.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That's pretty awesome. If he's getting paid to do it I guess it's a lot better than taking out the springs and measuring a billion things.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BlackMK4 posted:

Nah, I think the more autistic thing is to sit on the internet and talk poo poo about people actually doing things in real life.

Better shut down the forums then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Better shut down the forums then.

Don't worry Lowtax will be doing that shortly regardless.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How does 3D scanning offer any insight what so ever? That looks like a raw scan with some wheels dropped in. No suspension travel mapped or anything.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I believe the process was acquire the 3D scan to accurately show where the body actually sits plus the dimensions of all the moving bits and chassis in relation to the bodywork. Add to that the models of the rims and you're as accurate as actually just putting various rims on your car.

Designers are a strange breed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Thumposaurus posted:

In RC chat Finnegan now has an RC Blasphemi

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ_ZFmjFKbQ/

That's awesome :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Wanna go to this park.

Oh, now I need to start smooth-talking the wife.
She wants a porch/yard swing.
I have broken RX-7s.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So terrible it loops right back around to good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC1R0uuLCUY

This pretty much sums up my first 240 minus the terrible wheels and exhaust.
Especially the shift knob.

but ESPECIALLY the busted speedo/odometer

Edit: between my Ranger 2.5 and that I really miss driving a tractor.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 28, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I watched that yesterday and outside of the shabby paint and stripped interior I'm surprisingly ok with that. The exhaust is hilarious.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So terrible it loops right back around to good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC1R0uuLCUY

This pretty much sums up my first 240 minus the terrible wheels and exhaust.
Especially the shift knob.

but ESPECIALLY the busted speedo/odometer

Edit: between my Ranger 2.5 and that I really miss driving a tractor.

I don't get it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ormy posted:

I don't get it.

Spend some time driving lovely, slow, indestructible tractors and you'll get it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpSrHZnCi-A
Tesla battery teardown

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=14454

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Displacement..

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AI Confession time: I love Astro Vans. This might be even better though, particularly if the rear doors still work.

DIAMOND PLATE FOR EVERYONE

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

AI Confession time: I love Astro Vans. This might be even better though, particularly if the rear doors still work.

DIAMOND PLATE FOR EVERYONE

I would have gone easy on the diamond plate, and used the rear doors with windows, or better still, the Dutch door hatch, but I can't hate on van to pickup conversions. Even the Lumina APV ones.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Came across some old lathe salesman cars.

more here
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/south-bend-lathe-salesmans-car-148876/

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

At first glance I thought it was James May's Alfa-Saab.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrOnBicycle posted:

At first glance I thought it was James May's Alfa-Saab.

Alfaab.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Lamborghini Huracan Performante crushed the 918 spyder's Nurburgring lap time with a 6:52:01, and this thing is only supposed to cost $400k. That and the camera being so low to the ground makes this video pants-shittingly fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ULSUcERlQQ

Edit: So at this point, what is even the point of the Aventador?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

davebo posted:

Lamborghini Huracan Performante crushed the 918 spyder's Nurburgring lap time with a 6:52:01, and this thing is only supposed to cost $400k. That and the camera being so low to the ground makes this video pants-shittingly fast.

Looks cooler?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

davebo posted:

I'm calling shenanigans on this.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

davebo posted:

Whatever happened to entry level super cars starting at 120k? Or is that just a price reserved for luxo barges now.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

nm posted:

Looks cooler?

I do like the Aventador's looks more and that's always been the best reason to have a Lamborghini anyway.

Bape Culture posted:

I guess it's not an official time, and I've seen lots of comment section weirdos talking about which specific tires were used with the complaint being that even the grippy ones that are supposed to be on it would have squeal to them, but if it had slicks there'd be more noise on the straight, so I dunno.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bape Culture posted:

Almost no Ring time is legit anymore - the cars are specifically prepped to suit the circuit and they don't wear the tyres they would on the road, let alone the same suspension. Ring times have become the new bench racing.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Preoptopus posted:

Whatever happened to entry level super cars starting at 120k? Or is that just a price reserved for luxo barges now.

GTR is about all you'll get.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Inflation and the 1%

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
To show you how crazy inflation and the distribution of wealth have affected certain items' prices, allow me to quote Netflix's summary of Jurassic Park (1993) "A multimillionaire unveils a theme park..."
And then we laugh like the UN laughed at Dr. Evil for asking for a million dollars, and then kind of die inside because even the $1bn USD punchline to that joke is a drop in the bucket to larger governments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The manpower behind designing a modern supercar has gone way up too. It's no longer a handful of eccentric italians banging sheets of metal into shape around a huge v12.

poo poo got real complicated the last 20 years.