Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because what more story is there to tell about Hicks and Newt? That they're both traumatized by the aliens? Well, there's 2 other Alien movies that cover that.
Family? You could do that with new characters.

What specific story can you tell with Hicks and Newt that is worthy of telling in 2016 that has not already been covered in other Alien films?

Why not tell something brand new within the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Because what more story is there to tell about Hicks and Newt? That they're both traumatized by the aliens? Well, there's 2 other Alien movies that cover that.

What specific story can you tell with Hicks and Newt that is worthy of telling in 2016 that has not already been covered in other Alien films?

The story of a child growing up with horrible trauma and how it impacts her life and relationships especially when she inevitably is forced to come face-to-face with the cause of her trauma. There, with five seconds of thought, i came up with a reasonably interesting thematic center which can be used as the basis for an interesting Newt film.

And the same question can be asked about Aliens in general. What story is there left to tell? Where they came from? Is that really a story that needs to be told? Prometheus didn't even need Aliens to function and odds are pretty good Alien: Covenent isn't going to be improved by having an Alien instead of some new creature instead.

Why are you okay with having yet another film about Aliens but somehow the idea of a film involving Newt is "this is IMPOSSIBLE, you can't tell a good story about that!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ImpAtom posted:

The story of a child growing up with horrible trauma and how it impacts her life and relationships especially when she inevitably is forced to come face-to-face with the cause of her trauma. There, with five seconds of thought, i came up with a reasonably interesting thematic center which can be used as the basis for an interesting Newt film.

And the same question can be asked about Aliens in general. What story is there left to tell? Where they came from? Is that really a story that needs to be told? Prometheus didn't even need Aliens to function and odds are pretty good Alien: Covenent isn't going to be improved by having an Alien instead of some new creature instead.

You don't tell a story about Aliens. You tell a story with Aliens.

And you could still tell that story about a new character without pandering to fanboys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

You don't tell a story about Aliens. You tell a story with Aliens.

Considering how much of the discussion in this thread is about the Alien and its origins that doesn't seem to be true, no.

CelticPredator posted:

And you could still tell that story about a new character without pandering to fanboys.

Okay. And you could do Alien: Covenant without aliens without pandering to the fanboys too. You could do Rogue One without it being a direct Star Wars film, you could do Godzilla without actually using Godzilla. If your argument is "it's bad because fans like it" then what is your defense for not using new things?

Aliens didn't need Aliens and could have been done on its own with a new character. It explicitly fast forwards 57 years into the future and is basically in a new setting, it attempts to soft-retcon things into Ripley's backstory (a daughter she never mentions, though that is of course cut from the final film), it completely changes the Aliens and makes them more traditionally insectoid, and in essence you could have an entirely new film without using the Aliens. The fact that it builds off a previous film is something it benefits from but the same would be true of a theoretical Newt-focused film.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 2, 2017

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
At this point the Alien franchise would really benefit from abandoning the idea of canon completely. Multiple encounters with Xenomorphs but no one ever knowing they exist is getting a bit silly. It'll be downright absurd if the rumours about Daniels being Ripley's mother are true.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

I mean the concept art suggested that Ripley would become a Xenomorph hybrid and lead a revolution of the alien proletariat and that kind of owned though

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ReV VAdAUL posted:

At this point the Alien franchise would really benefit from abandoning the idea of canon completely. Multiple encounters with Xenomorphs but no one ever knowing they exist is getting a bit silly. It'll be downright absurd if the rumours about Daniels being Ripley's mother are true.

I always feel like they missed out on that, like just move the setting forward into a "gently caress it, Aliens are a thing now" world where people know this. If they do a non-prequel movie again it should be like The Expanse or even Babylon 5 or something where we get to actually see a functioning sci-fi society instead of yet another isolated mission. Hell have Arcturians and some other friendly bipedal aliens in it and settle that argument once and for all. :P

One of those Dark Horse Aliens novel comics, I think Harvest? It completely sucked like the majority of them, but I appreciated that a lot of it was this sort of noir heist story kind of thing set mostly on earth as that was a cool change of pace.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Alehkhs posted:

But the sequels are going to have brief underwater sections.

No matter how insignificant and fleeting those sections are, James Cameron going back underwater? Sign me the gently caress up.

Between Cameron's Avatar x, Singer and Gans's competing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea films, Mangold's Captain Nemo, and Eubanks' Underwater, I'm looking forward to cinema returning to the sea.

Uh, I think you're forgetting one very important Aquaman.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean the concept art suggested that Ripley would become a Xenomorph hybrid and lead a revolution of the alien proletariat and that kind of owned though

I highly doubt that would be a thing. It would completely go against her character, pre Resurrection.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

DC Murderverse posted:

Uh, I think you're forgetting one very important Aquaman.

:cripes: Ah yes. I am curious to see how that comes out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I highly doubt that would be a thing. It would completely go against her character, pre Resurrection.

Plus IIRC the art was of her wearing a biomechanical suit and not her literally returning as an alien/human hybrid like in Resurrection.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Ok so Ripleys story v2.0?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I still kinda want a proper Alien Vs Predator that involves Colonial Marines getting their poo poo wrecked dropping into a colony that turns out to have been made into a xenomorph hunting run by predators. Also one of the Marines is secretly a Terminator because gently caress it, that was a comic once right

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ReV VAdAUL posted:

That spoiler was leaked by the same person who leaked basically the entire plot of the film that's now been confirmed by the trailer, so... yeah.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Avatar was entertaining enough, but had some really bad characters and hit-and-miss performances. Its biggest failing was being so goddamn unoriginal.

Sigourney was great in it I thought

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm hoping they bring back Michelle Rodriguez so that there can be three different action franchises where her character dies in the first movie but then turns out to be alive in a sequel.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PriorMarcus posted:

That spoiler was leaked by the same person who leaked basically the entire plot of the film that's now been confirmed by the trailer, so... yeah.

Not really. There's a bunch of different spoilers and the ones confirmed do not mention anything about that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm hoping they bring back Michelle Rodriguez so that there can be three different action franchises where her character dies in the first movie but then turns out to be alive in a sequel.

You'd think her asking price would be sky high these days, her agent can be like "5 million? This woman was killed off in two different billion dollar franchises, and they ended up regretting it so much they brought her back from the dead!"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

PriorMarcus posted:

Danny mcbride is the father for Ripley, Thanks Ridley.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You'd think her asking price would be sky high these days, her agent can be like "5 million? This woman was killed off in two different billion dollar franchises, and they ended up regretting it so much they brought her back from the dead!"

lol this isn't Aliens, but very apropo

quote:

Filming may have just wrapped on Alita: Battle Angel, but we're just learning now that Fast and Furious actress Michelle Rodriguez has re-teamed with her Machete and Machete Kills director Robert Rodriguez (no relation, FYI) for the upcoming film.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Michelle was cast in the role of a cyborg named Gelda, who was a badass warrior in the pages of Yukito Kishiro's popular Japanese cyberpunk manga series, Battle Angel Alita.

The 3D live-action movie written and produced by James Cameron (Aliens, Titanic, Avatar, not that he needs an introduction) stars Rosa Salazar (Maze Runner: The Scorch Trial) in the titular role of Alita, an amnesiac female cyborg bounty hunter; Christoph Waltz as Dr. Dyson Ido; Mahershala Ali as Vector; Ed Skrein as Zapan and the recently announced Jennifer Connelly and Jackie Earle Haley in villainous roles.

http://www.blastr.com/2017-2-23/ali..._source=twitter

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CelticPredator posted:

I think a story about Newt's experience before she was rescued could be a good story.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I want a movie where Weyland Yutani successfully get their hands on the aliens and weaponize them. Like, there could be some pratfalls while they get the program up and running, but eventually they get it down and do war stuff with them. Uh oh, we're supposed to take out these rebels but they're fortified, better request a shipment of elephants. In a week we'll have some specialty xenos fixing their little red wagon

Are there any comics like this?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Weyland Yutani does terraforming, right? It could be like

"Sir, we found an earth-like planet but there are 600 million bronze age people living there"
"Send down the xenos, give it a month. Heh heh heh."
"But sir then we have to kill the loving xenos"
"That's where you're wrong! We got us a little methionine contingency"

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I want a movie where Weyland Yutani successfully get their hands on the aliens and weaponize them. Like, there could be some pratfalls while they get the program up and running, but eventually they get it down and do war stuff with them. Uh oh, we're supposed to take out these rebels but they're fortified, better request a shipment of elephants. In a week we'll have some specialty xenos fixing their little red wagon

Have some bitchin' fan art.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That loving rules. Right down to the slightly 80's hair and clothing for the future-executive. I want more, I want a comic :(

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Just wait for Jurassic World 2.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also I want a movie about just exploring creepy alien settings like this

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 3, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Did you miss Prometheus?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

All those are just huge humans in space suits.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

UmOk posted:

Did you miss Prometheus?

I don't think Prometheus got anywhere near the sense of foreboding and dark awe that first picture evokes, although I think it was a entertaining enough movie. Great fan art (or concept art) like that always insinuates to me that the Engineers didn't create the xenomorphs, no matter how the story gets wrangled that way in the movies. They found them, maybe used them for war, maybe adopted their form and aesthetic for Engineer society, definitely worshipped and obsessed over them, and either got overrun or became suicidal zealots sending floating tombs full of eggs to random worlds. The Great Filter is super space bugs as much as it is obsession with controlling forms of life that are beyond the reckoning of any sentient species.

I think I prefer that to the angle the movies seem to be going for of "Engineers made humans who made androids who made xenos who systematically wipe out everything", but at the end of the day it's all just a bunch of extrapolation based on HR Giger's spank collection so :shrug:.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BiggerBoat posted:

I think a story about Newt's experience before she was rescued could be a good story.
You mean, like, the fall of the Hadley's Hope colony? Look no further!

Oddly enough, there's a surprisingly high number of survivors of the whole Hadley's Hope colony disaster. One of the more recent spin-off comics actually chronicles a group of something like 20 colonists who manage to commandeer a short-range cargo shuttle and get off of LV-426. They manage to make it to LV-223 - the planet from 'Prometheus'. The Prometheus bluray points out that LV-223 and LV-426 are actually both moons of the same gas giant.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

There are comics with the attempted weaponization of Aliens, but it never goes well.

There was one with a crazed military commander who thinks he can use Aliens as soldiers, so long as he keeps the Queen threatened. He assembles his "army", and, well...

There's another where a crazed scientist gets the idea to make a genetically modified Queen that has all of its strength and intelligence, but doesn't lay eggs and could be "controlled" through the use of sonic weapons. The other people in the facility (rightly) think he's a lunatic, so he says "gently caress it" and sets his pet project loose - it goes on a rampage, tearing through the facility's walls and killing everyone and everything in its path on its way to the nearby Alien hive... where the Queen just straight up kicks its rear end and kills it.

Weyland Yutani actually isn't in very many of the comics, with no clear reason as to why. They get very infrequent name-drops, and most of the time the "bad guys" in the comics are random mad scientists, the military, occasionally doomsday cultists, stuff like that. Corporate malfeasance isn't that prevalent in the comics - there's a notable story where a big corporation considers trying to exploit Aliens for profit, and then the CEO realizes what the Aliens are capable of and straight-up puts the brakes on the whole thing and basically says "holy poo poo are you people insane? Hell no we're not messing with these things, Jesus Christ." It's an entertaining reversal of the whole "corporation thinks it can control uncontrollable monsters, instead gets curbstomped" trope you'd expect.

Hunterhr posted:

Have some bitchin' fan art.

If I remember right, that isn't just fan art - it's fan art that Blomkamp was floating around when he was pitching his Alien movie idea.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yo you know what was a neat comic? The one where this lady crash lands on a weird kind of puritan like planet where they sacrifice babies to a lone Alien, and it's revealed that the babies are clones instead of like, real babies.

Then it gets complicated.

You could make that into a movie. The VVitch meets an Alien.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Neo Rasa posted:

I always feel like they missed out on that, like just move the setting forward into a "gently caress it, Aliens are a thing now" world where people know this. If they do a non-prequel movie again it should be like The Expanse or even Babylon 5 or something where we get to actually see a functioning sci-fi society instead of yet another isolated mission. Hell have Arcturians and some other friendly bipedal aliens in it and settle that argument once and for all. :P

One of those Dark Horse Aliens novel comics, I think Harvest? It completely sucked like the majority of them, but I appreciated that a lot of it was this sort of noir heist story kind of thing set mostly on earth as that was a cool change of pace.

Yeah, very few films, let alone sci-fi ones have touched upon colonial corporations like the Dutch or British East India companies. Sure plenty of sci-fi has a generic evil corporations lurking in the background but the actual mechanics of how these corporations worked and competed with other monopolies and nations could be the basis for all sorts of interesting stories.

Personally I'd love to see a sort of Babylon 5 esque conflict between various competing Empires utilising (and suffering catastrophes) from all sorts of eldritch technologies and naturally occuring horrors in a cold indifferent universe.

Or you could have the Xenomorphs as a kind of space malaria making a chunk of the galaxy unconquerable for the various empires allowing engineer-like aliens to live in paradises even though their military is no match for the corporations. Then the Xenomorph equivalent of quinine is discovered albeit with some very nasty side effects.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, we know so little about what the black goo is capable of and what its origins are. The Engineers clearly work with biomechanical technology, and I don't think its a stretch to theorize that the goo's effects are not random. The traditional xenomorph may be an inevitable conclusion to the mutations caused by the black goo, with David just happening to be the first being from Earth to have discovered that fact.

Its also pretty likely that the black goo is something the Engineers discovered in a not too dissimilar way as the Prometheus did, not something they themselves created. Their experiments may be an attempt to understand it better, but there's nothing we've seen that proves that they invented it.

Yeah, convergent evolution is a thing on earth and it's pretty interesting--think bird and bat wings developing similar morphologies independently. I mean, Prometheus pretty much tries to sell us on the conceit that the goo is some sort of concentrated evolution catalyst, which implies that in the 'Alien Universe' it's actually pretty natural to end up with xeno-esque traits at some point. The black goo, through all of its permutations in the affected animals, unlocks a roiling, chaotic vitality that forcibly asserts its continued existence in this world by killing, loving, and eating whatever it needs to in order to reproduce. In a really loose way, that's basically just evolution on earth except turned up to 11 and in fast forward with various artistic liberties sprinkled in.

The engineers and humans present an ordered counter-balance to the 'xenos' and the goo like a yin and yang. They even made the engineers white to the xeno's black. Order and entropy. 2 sides of the same coin. It's why the idea of the engineers grew on me a bit well after Prometheus. If you run with the film's notion that humans were created by engineers, and the engineers by some other race that their bio-mechanical suits are meant to ape...then you get this interesting progression of these humanoids moving further and further away from the 'life essence' represented by the goo and ever closer to their respective technologies: the nascent race of humans have developed synthetics like David and Walter that are entirely separate entities from themselves, then the engineers with their technology grafted to their bodies and intermediate levels of biomechanical integration (who are perhaps already so divorced from loving they don't have genitals, or women), and finally, the engineers' creators--maybe the OG space jockey from the original Alien that's been crashed and derelict for millennia who are very ancient and completely intertwined biomechanical beings.

And I think in Covenant we see David come to understand this inevitable progression and actively try to create the engineers' ancestors' xenomorph; like the truly ancient one we see in Alien (well that came from an ancient egg from a long-dead ancient xeno that burst out of the jockey's chest), the fully-integrated biomechanical nightmare. David's less the de novo creator of the traditional xenomorph, but more someone that has seen the prophecy and has the means and creative curiosity to bring it back into the world by his own hand. Something I think at least some of the engineers were trying to do for whatever reason, with the goo I assume they isolated from those spore pods on their homeworld.

It also works in a movie-science way as well that the tale of the chaotic xeno and the orderly humanoid are forever interlocked in this cyclical existence throughout time. You can be the pinnacle of evolution and "the perfect organism" or whatever they like to call xenomorphs, but if your rear end can't get off the rock you were born on there's a 100% chance your rear end is going extinct when your star inevitably burns out and implodes. If not sooner, since you're so goddamn efficient at what you do you've run out of faces to hug long before that kills you off. It's also an obligate parasite so, :shrug:, you really need to cozy up with (and not immediately wipe out) a species that is capable of civilization and eventually interstellar flight.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Red band version of the new trailer. Few f bombs and a splash of red.

https://youtu.be/sL2LWNtn3uY

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I still kinda want a proper Alien Vs Predator that involves Colonial Marines getting their poo poo wrecked dropping into a colony that turns out to have been made into a xenomorph hunting run by predators.

The old Aliens Vs Predator arcade game has been brought up in this thread and it was indeed awesome, but the 2001 computer game needs more love: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_versus_Predator_2

You play as an alien, predator, and colonial marine in intersecting stories all basically fighting an evil corporation (full of mercs and terminator-like androids) experimenting on aliens and predators and trying to keep their activities hidden from the marines. At one point in the predator and marine campaigns you're captured and locked up only to be released when the power goes out. Later it's revealed in the alien campaign that you as the alien cut the power to release the captured queen.

I will never understand why they went the direction they did with the atrocious AvP films. Just put those fuckers in space.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Ok so Ripleys story v2.0?

Any media involving Aliens is to some degree going to be Ripley's Story v2.0, so yes. It being similar to Ripley's story doesn't mean it lacks value. Hell, look at Alien 3 whose concept is just a mix of Alien and Aliens. (Combining the lone terror element of Alien and Ripley facing it again from Aliens.) The fact that it has a similar basic concept doesn't mean it has a similar execution and concept.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

After Alien Resurrection I can understand why people would be skeptical of anything reusing older/long dead characters.

Jagermonster posted:

I will never understand why they went the direction they did with the atrocious AvP films. Just put those fuckers in space.

Same here. Plus the action would be more interesting if the Predators are hunting characters with more futuristic tracking stuff and weapons available to them. Like they'd have to be more creative/have an even wider variety of gadgets and that could inspire some cool Predator action.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 3, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

After Alien Resurrection I can understand why people would be skeptical of anything reusing older/long dead characters.

It'd probably be a more meaningful argument if the Alien franchise didn't have like 2.5 good films. You're not exactly sullying the glorious perfection at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It'd probably be a more meaningful argument if the Alien franchise didn't have like 2.5 good films.

What is the good/bad film count threshold before someone is allowed to have an opinion about stuff being rehashed in future films?