Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Skoll posted:

May it forever live in infamy.

Man I would have paid $500 for not having UI 2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

For all its failings the mechlab is finally usable and good. It's not as attractive as the old one was, but do you really miss having to click through to every single piece of the mech one component at a time to change anything, do you miss the old item warehouse that made finding and adding stuff a pain? I sure as poo poo don't.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

aniviron posted:

For all its failings the mechlab is finally usable and good. It's not as attractive as the old one was, but do you really miss having to click through to every single piece of the mech one component at a time to change anything, do you miss the old item warehouse that made finding and adding stuff a pain? I sure as poo poo don't.

I prefer the new mechlab over the old too.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

New mechlab is good but everything else is just goddamn awful

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

aniviron posted:

Yeah the Huntsman looks great in MWO; it's the main selling point of the mech, really. It's not a bad mech by any means but everything it can do it is outclassed by either the HBK IIC, NVA, or SCR in some specialty.

I'll take my Huntsmen over any of those other mechs (which are all still good, don't get me wrong).

Two ~68 damage alphas before it needs to cool down and jump jets in a humanoid mech with good shield arms? gently caress yeah.

I use 4x C-MPL and 3x SRM6 if you're wondering. With plenty of ammo and heatsinks.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm finally comfortable with a 6mpl 2ppc snv-1. Just feels good to me, and looks good. Game fun, good enough for me. Just need to get a light for harassment times.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

WarLocke posted:

Meh, it results in dumb things like gausscats and the current laser vomit meta and poo poo. People just pick one or two weapon types to boat, and it ends up shortening TTK so you can't get a proper mechbrawl going on.

In other news, actually tempting:

You can 100% get a proper mech brawl going on regardless actually.

Nothing wrong with Gausscats either. It isn't as if they're particularly good too.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Apparently the Urbanmech is the new Ubermëch on the PTS because agility is now decoupled from engine size. Every light from the zippiest Jenners to the slowest Adders got agility nerfs, except the Urbanmech which is now much more perky, especially if you're going for std60 builds.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Decoupling engine sizes from agility is a good idea, but of course they'd gently caress it up by making lights suck more. I miss being a jenner 2c srm bomber, or a jenner knife fighter

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Did they touch the Locusts or did they make out like bandits again while other lights get shafted?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Here's a quick video involving some agility balance changes to fan-favorite Timber Wolf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLI3itij8FI

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

aniviron posted:

Yes they got there, finally, with the lab.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Artificer posted:

Here's a quick video involving some agility balance changes to fan-favorite Timber Wolf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLI3itij8FI

Imagine that they planned to release this crap 2 weeks after the first PTS. It's dead, just like energy draw.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Last time I hopped in, hovering over robots (mechlab -> select mech) wasn't bringing up the little details popup that shows the loadout. That made me sad/mad and I was wondering if it was just me. Anyone else have that happen to 'em?

Also, jfc Ken. WAY TO PERPETUATE THE GERMAN GAMER STEREOTYPE.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

aniviron posted:

Apparently the Urbanmech is the new Ubermëch on the PTS because agility is now decoupled from engine size. Every light from the zippiest Jenners to the slowest Adders got agility nerfs, except the Urbanmech which is now much more perky, especially if you're going for std60 builds.

I'm one of the weirdos who advocates for stock engine ratings and even I don't have the patience to play a STD60 Urbanmech.

The match is half over before you get anywhere in one of those.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

WarLocke posted:

I'm one of the weirdos who advocates for stock engine ratings and even I don't have the patience to play a STD60 Urbanmech.

If I remember the engine maths correctly, am I right in saying you can only do like 34kph in that?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

WarLocke posted:

Mostly because MWO doesn't actually feature the sort of combat that made the Urbanmech even semi-viable.

The thing was supposed to be a cheap, light mech that could bounce around on jump jets in tight urban settings where LOS was measured in dozens of meters. Stick an Urbie in a city in a TT game and it can actually do some work. Stick it in an open field and it's target practice.

edit: god I would loving kill for a single good urban map. gently caress you :pgi: you have given us three different variations on "super cold map with huge wide spaces" just give us a single loving city fight.

edit: I should clarify: a city fight that isn't basically half a map of city that no one ever goes in and half a map of water or whatever dominated by two big geographical features for people to snipe from.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

If I remember the engine maths correctly, am I right in saying you can only do like 34kph in that?

Yeah, the stock Urby moves at 34kph (and 38 or something with speed tweak). A 120 brings it to 64/68 kph and a 180 (largest it can handle) to ~92/97kph.

Notably the STD60 engine in MWO weighs -2.5 (negative tons) which I think they did to get the thing to work at all.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, the stock Urby moves at 34kph (and 38 or something with speed tweak). A 120 brings it to 64/68 kph and a 180 (largest it can handle) to ~92/97kph.

Notably the STD60 engine in MWO weighs -2.5 (negative tons) which I think they did to get the thing to work at all.

Yeah, I know prior to the urbie engines didn't go below 100 sized so making the urbanmech work kinda hosed with their system.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Leave it to PGI to listen to the players on one or two specific things, fix one, and gently caress up the other even worse. That new weapons skill tree is a god drat abortion.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Zebulon posted:

Leave it to PGI to listen to the players on one or two specific things, fix one, and gently caress up the other even worse. That new weapons skill tree is a god drat abortion.

I haven't looked into it too closely, but from what I've sen it just looks like everyone will default to grabbing the durability, sensor, upper/lower mobility trees on every mech and just not speccing for weapons because gently caress having to pay c-bills to respec. Am I wrong?

Also, this build may not be 'good' but it's fun as hell to play:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I haven't looked into it too closely, but from what I've sen it just looks like everyone will default to grabbing the durability, sensor, upper/lower mobility trees on every mech and just not speccing for weapons because gently caress having to pay c-bills to respec. Am I wrong?

Yeah, probably. Durability and speed are going to be must haves, but sensor is very debatable. Meanwhile the difference between tweaked and untweaked weapons can be pretty significant.

I mean, sure, some people will opt for a generic approach that doesn't do anything particularly well. Plenty of people in this thread never bought modules because they didn't care enough and didn't mind having worse mechs for it. That said, lots of people buy modules and enjoy the benefits that having increased range and shorter fire time brings. Same basic principle here.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

WarLocke posted:

You are wrong. You no longer have to pay cbills to respec, just a small amount of XP.

Although you're right in that everyone is going to take the durability and mobility quirks first.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: god I would loving kill for a single good urban map. gently caress you :pgi: you have given us three different variations on "super cold map with huge wide spaces" just give us a single loving city fight.

What I'd actually like to see are C-bill bonuses for picking hot maps.

Since more heat = firing less = less damage, but there's still roughly the same amount of HP to chew through on each side.

I think it'd be a good move to even out the long cold maps, and make people play more aggressively to go git some.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I don't see how that's needed. So hot maps 'punish' laser spam, so what. Bring ballistics or missiles.

Now what should get a c-bill bonus is shooting down missiles with AMS. If you got money for it people might actually carry it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It's too bad that there's no action such that a mech can extend its arm out so that the arm-mounted weapons are shoulder-height. That's consistent with a lot of the BT art, and would make the dick-height arm hardpoints more useful.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Can you save builds yet

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I don't see how that's needed. So hot maps 'punish' laser spam, so what. Bring ballistics or missiles.

Now what should get a c-bill bonus is shooting down missiles with AMS. If you got money for it people might actually carry it.

It's a problem because you can't pick your builds with knowledge of what map is coming up, so anyone with a build that runs hot always picks the cold maps.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a problem because you can't pick your builds with knowledge of what map is coming up, so anyone with a build that runs hot always picks the cold maps.

You could always switch builds to one that runs less hot. Or if you decide to stick with a bunch of lasers you just have to deal with the fact that a hot map hinders you more than someone with ballistics or missiles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

WarLocke posted:

You could always switch builds to one that runs less hot. Or if you decide to stick with a bunch of lasers you just have to deal with the fact that a hot map hinders you more than someone with ballistics or missiles.

Sure, if the maps were randomly assigned you'd be right.

But they're not. We have a voting system, which means you're pretty safe to just run your regular hot build and vote cold maps. Since basically everyone runs builds that benefit from the cold and suffer in heat you end up with a massively disproportionate number of cold games to hot ones.

I mean, I tend to play maybe 5 matches or so a day on average. I'd say about half of those are on one of the cold maps. I can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten a hot map in the last two weeks, and both of those times were because I ended up sitting on a huge vote multiplier and picked terra therma to troll people.

The game mechanics actively discourage picking hot maps, and unsurprisingly they are pretty rare as far as actually getting a drop on one.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

The game mechanics actively discourage picking hot maps, and unsurprisingly they are pretty rare as far as actually getting a drop on one.

Except for when the Night Gyr came out. It was Caustic and Terra and Tourmaline constantly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

Except for when the Night Gyr came out. It was Caustic and Terra and Tourmaline constantly.

Funny, that. It's almost like map voting shits things up more than just having the odd annoying map.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Funny, that. It's almost like map voting shits things up more than just having the odd annoying map.

I concur. Should have just left it random because interjecting choice made a lot more problems than it solved.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

I concur. Should have just left it random because interjecting choice made a lot more problems than it solved.

can't wait until the next time they release something that's either LRM or Gauss-build focused and we get another month solid of arctic and polar!

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

So version 2 of the skill tree is even worse than version 1. In case anyone had hopes about MW5 being good, this should be yet another piece of evidence in a long history of terrible decisions.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

What's up with the new tree.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Seems like hyperbole to me. The problems with it are: The weapons tree is a loving mess, and it's expensive. Both of those problems existed in the previous iteration but much worse than in this version. Is the skill tree ready for live? No. But it's certainly not worse than it was before.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

armchairyoda posted:

Last time I hopped in, hovering over robots (mechlab -> select mech) wasn't bringing up the little details popup that shows the loadout. That made me sad/mad and I was wondering if it was just me. Anyone else have that happen to 'em?

Also, jfc Ken. WAY TO PERPETUATE THE GERMAN GAMER STEREOTYPE.

I have some vague recollection of this happening to a robot buddy and him fixing it by re-turning on tooltips in Settings but I could be wrong.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The hero urbie has 5 energy, ams and 1 ballistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: Probably make a good laser vomit build then. Urbies kind of disappoint me in that I want to mount dakka on them but a UAC5/AC10/LB10X is pretty much as big as you can go; you can fit an AC20 on, sure, but you have to make a bunch of sacrifices to also get ammo for it.

Oh Snapple! posted:

What's up with the new tree.

Instead of having trees for each type of weapon, it has one 'weaponry' tree that has everything in it. Agnostic nodes like cooldown, heat generation and such but also type-spcific (velocity for ACs, beam duration for lasers, etc) so you can find yourself having to 'waste' points on some nodes to get to the ones you want.

I think that's what everyone is talking about, anyway.

Oh, the mobility trees got merged too, now it's one big tree split down the middle, with the lower torso stuff on one side and the upper torso on the other. But all the Speed Tweak nodes are at the very bottom, so if you want all of them you have to go down both sides of the tree.

• Locked thread