Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Beautiful Ninja posted:

That's literally the Kaby Lake i5.

E: On another tangent, now that I think about it, one of the reasons people are saying to go with a Ryzen over a Kaby Lake for gaming purposes is for streaming. Now that I think about it, the consumer CPU's have dedicated encoding hardware on them so you can use Quicksync. I haven't used QS yet myself, though plan to test it soon, wouldn't QS be plenty for the casual streamer for little performance hit?

It depends since Quicksync and honestly most GPU accelerated encoding tends to have lower quality compared to fully CPU driven x264 at the same bitrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

My dude have you heard of the 7700K

I forgot to add for 149$ sry.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

I forgot to add for 149$ sry.
get a z170 board, an i5-6400 for $160 and run that BCLK up the wall, since those don't overclock any worse than i5-6600ks when it comes down to it

you'll have to play with memory timings and frequency though, but that's always been a thing for BCLK

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also It looks like they are pushing it a little farther 1800X @ 5.8Ghz

Look at that core voltage, 0.787V :eyepop:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

get a z170 board, an i5-6400 for $160 and run that BCLK up the wall, since those don't overclock any worse than i5-6600ks when it comes down to it

you'll have to play with memory timings and frequency though, but that's always been a thing for BCLK

Didn't they patch out BCLK overclocking? You'd need an old board.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

Didn't they patch out BCLK overclocking? You'd need an old board.
Manufacturers undid the microcode update on all z170 boards a month after Intel pushed disabling it

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
oh huh, the reddit AMA said that Ryzen does support ECC?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_6rs9cBzvE&feature=youtu.be&t=687

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Who else finds Dr. Lisa Su incredibly attractive?

I'd never paid much attention to her except for the Ryzen keynote, and HOLY MOLY, is she a babe or what? I've always had a thing for older women, and boy... she's got the whole package. Smart as hell too... I'd love to take her out for dinner and talk about the world! Haha.
What do you guys think?

Hank Hill account spotted

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Supported not validated, dependent on mobo makers

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

If motherboard makers run the extra traces, the memory controller on the ryzen processor will make use of ECC if present, but it's not a supported configuration. AMD won't guarantee that operation will be fault free, and you can't claim the product is defective if operation is not as desired (no support or RMA).

This is the same thing with pretty much every recent AMD CPU, mostly because AMD doesn't want cheaper desktop CPU's being sold as server class.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Ah gotcha.

At least there's room for Zen to improve this time, unlike with Bulldozer's fundamental problems

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EdEddnEddy posted:

It's probably similar to the issue Bulldozer had with it at launch with its "modules"

Windows 8+ had a fix for it that allowed it to gain like 15% performance vs Windows 7. Probably a similar patch needs to be released, but it also launched in the month that there was no Patch Tuesday sooo.. Who knows.

I wonder if this is the delidded 1800X, too.

Supported, not validated, up to the board partner.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, actual competition would be good, but what I got from your post is that you hope people will buy an inferior product just so that Intel has competition. Hoping that consumers fall for hype and screw themselves over seems to go right against why competition is a good thing in the first place.

Just because Ryzen isn't the best for a machine dedicated to 1080p gaming, doesn't mean it doesn't represent actual competition in some market segments that Intel has dominated for years. Intel has 90% or more of the server and desktop markets. Their monopoly allows them to dictate pricing in all segments and really the only reason AMD is still around selling x86 is because Intel allows them to be (Hey look regulators, we have a competitor, see!). I think the new Ryzen chips will be a good buy for certain people in a few months and hey, maybe Naples will be competitive in enterprise as well.

I can recognize that Ryzen was insanely over-hyped for gaming, but at the same time still root for it to be a success overall.

fishmech posted:

And that's going to lead to not still selling very expensive high end processors because: _____

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_price

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ryzen's going to be on my radar when they respin it, there are mature bioses and board variety (itx). It's pretty much what we were saying months and months ago before talk of 99.999% memory controller efficiency, 7700k beating IPC, and 5ghz on air talk BS started popping up.

The bioses seem buggy as hell but I doubt fixing them will change much of anything except for higher memory clocks and stability.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 3, 2017

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
Well, I decided to pass and hold on to my Core i7 4790k for another year or so, opting instead for dual GTX 1080 TIs.

It does seem like Ryzen is going to be a hit for AMD, though. Very happy to see them back in the game. The next revision should be very compelling. Not that this one isn't.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pawn 17 posted:

Just because Ryzen isn't the best for a machine dedicated to 1080p gaming, doesn't mean it doesn't represent actual competition in some market segments that Intel has dominated for years. Intel has 90% or more of the server and desktop markets. Their monopoly allows them to dictate pricing in all segments and really the only reason AMD is still around selling x86 is because Intel allows them to be (Hey look regulators, we have a competitor, see!). I think the new Ryzen chips will be a good buy for certain people in a few months and hey, maybe Naples will be competitive in enterprise as well.

I can recognize that Ryzen was insanely over-hyped for gaming, but at the same time still root for it to be a success overall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_price

With the prevalence of per-core software licensing and lack of IPC, I can't really see AMD getting much progress on enterprise with Ryzen.

Also, thanks to the overall lousy OC headroom the 1700 non-X makes the X SKUs look a complete ripoff for anybody who isn't r/AMD.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/sciuiEcrnzg Kinda liking this guy's presentation

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Beautiful Ninja posted:

That's literally the Kaby Lake i5.

E: On another tangent, now that I think about it, one of the reasons people are saying to go with a Ryzen over a Kaby Lake for gaming purposes is for streaming. Now that I think about it, the consumer CPU's have dedicated encoding hardware on them so you can use Quicksync. I haven't used QS yet myself, though plan to test it soon, wouldn't QS be plenty for the casual streamer for little performance hit?

Quicksync, just like NVEnc, sucks at lower bitrate compared to x264.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

PerrineClostermann posted:

https://youtu.be/sciuiEcrnzg Kinda liking this guy's presentation

Egh. Every time I stumble upon this dudes stuff it's progressively creepier.

e: actually this is unfair. he's a little less monotonous and animatronic in these current ones. good on him.

buglord fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 3, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I like how he completely stumbled on trying to make the streaming argument and ended up saying that Kaby Lake is 50% faster than Kaby Lake.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

buglord posted:

Egh. Every time I stumble upon this dudes stuff it's progressively creepier.

:magical: it's the robotic, teethy delivery. I feel uncanny valley.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 3, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I realize how narrowly focused this use case is, but from what I can tell? This is going to go great into the two-headed machine for siblings to use simultaneously without killing eachother over "my turn" like some kind of savages. :shobon:

I'll be ordering one for my stepbrothers, I think.

I wouldn't - at least, not yet.

Hardware virtualization is required to make that setup work properly, and that is incredibly finicky to begin with. Throw in a brand new platfrom and chip and you have a recipe for an expensive piece of poo poo that would be beaten by getting them each a netbook.

Nobody has reviewed the virtualization extensions yet. There's no numbers on DPC latency. Aside from poo poo framerates, DPC latency can lead to audio stalls and crackle on an unloaded machine.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I haven't really been keeping up with CPUs for like 5 years but my 2600k has been showing its age (started freezing a couple times a week and I figure it is the CPU, memory, or MoBo going bad. Either way its time to update). The new CPU seems alright for me according to anandtech. Not sure why so many people are mad about it. Personally I love me some cores and will probably get one in a month or so once all the issues are hopefully worked out.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

lamentable dustman posted:

I haven't really been keeping up with CPUs for like 5 years but my 2600k has been showing its age (started freezing a couple times a week and I figure it is the CPU, memory, or MoBo going bad. Either way its time to update).

Might just need to reapply thermal paste if you never have.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Harik posted:

I wouldn't - at least, not yet.

Hardware virtualization is required to make that setup work properly, and that is incredibly finicky to begin with. Throw in a brand new platfrom and chip and you have a recipe for an expensive piece of poo poo that would be beaten by getting them each a netbook.

Nobody has reviewed the virtualization extensions yet. There's no numbers on DPC latency. Aside from poo poo framerates, DPC latency can lead to audio stalls and crackle on an unloaded machine.

Aware of it, am awaiting L1Tech's videos on the topic. (L1Techs being Wendell's channel post-Tek Syndicate breakup.)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Competition doesn't lower prices for luxury bullshit, jesus dude. This shouldn't be hard to understand, Intel has consistently sold high end but not officially "enterprise" CPUs for people with ridiculous prices since the mid 90s at least. No amount of competition gets rid of that. They've never been worth their price premium, it's usually poo poo like spending $300-$500 extra just to get 1% better performance, but a certain kind of idiot will buy them regardless.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Intel still had the "Extreme Edition" P4 for $1000 back when it was getting its rear end handed to it by the A64's of the day. (Also for $1000 for the "Black Editions") so while you will have some price competition below the top tier, you will still have the top tier that remains regardless if they are worth it or not.

Only this time, I doubt AMD will charge $1000 for a CPU that doesn't actually beat the Intel $1000 CPU at everything and not just a few things. Though we will have to see. Zen+ I can see them releasing something of the sort if they can polish things up a bit and get another 500mhz or so.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Obsurveyor posted:

Might just need to reapply thermal paste if you never have.

I replaced the cooler a year ago when I changed my 10 year old case that was falling apart but I'll take a look at it.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

EdEddnEddy posted:

Is that der8auer guy known around here? I was watching his delidding video and he had the forums up on his computer.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't really been keeping up with CPUs for like 5 years but my 2600k has been showing its age (started freezing a couple times a week and I figure it is the CPU, memory, or MoBo going bad. Either way its time to update). The new CPU seems alright for me according to anandtech. Not sure why so many people are mad about it. Personally I love me some cores and will probably get one in a month or so once all the issues are hopefully worked out.

Are you doing any productivity work? Video editing, compiling large kernels, scientific work? If no and you're playing videogames, then just get a 7700K.

If you read R/AMD, the one outlier gaming performance video is literally the only Ryzen review that matters. Everything else was benched wrong, other than those by the One True Reviewer: Joker Productions.

E: AMD CPU and Platform Megathread: 6850K on the streets, 7600K in the sheets?

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 3, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You spelled platfrom wrong there chief

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

BurritoJustice posted:

Are you doing any productivity work? Video editing, compiling large kernels, scientific work? If no and you're playing videogames, then just get a 7700K.

If you read R/AMD, the one outlier gaming performance video is literally the only Ryzen review that matters. Everything else was benched wrong, other than those by the One True Reviewer: Joker Productions.

E: AMD CPU and Platform Megathread: 6850K on the streets, 7600K in the sheets?

never been to r/amd but sure i do other poo poo then play videogames

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

never been to r/amd but sure i do other poo poo then play videogames

I should've double spaced that, the r/amd line wasn't specifically at you.

And sweet, full steam ahead for Ryzen for you.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Time is a flat circle:

http://www.realworldtech.com/kt266-vs-kt266a/

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

EdEddnEddy posted:

It's probably similar to the issue Bulldozer had with it at launch with its "modules"

Windows 8+ had a fix for it that allowed it to gain like 15% performance vs Windows 7. Probably a similar patch needs to be released, but it also launched in the month that there was no Patch Tuesday sooo.. Who knows.

That was never backported? My mental timeline must be off because I could swear 7 was relevant enough when bulldozer came out that you'd kinda have to

Paul MaudDib posted:

i have a couple of titans if I want to read your email

whoops, probably shouldn't have said that

:confused:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

fishmech posted:

Competition doesn't lower prices for luxury bullshit, jesus dude. This shouldn't be hard to understand, Intel has consistently sold high end but not officially "enterprise" CPUs for people with ridiculous prices since the mid 90s at least. No amount of competition gets rid of that. They've never been worth their price premium, it's usually poo poo like spending $300-$500 extra just to get 1% better performance, but a certain kind of idiot will buy them regardless.

At least read up on the basics of microeconomics before you postulate something like that. Competition does affect luxury good pricing (competition shifts the supply curve).

And you can think of anything and there will always be some small portion of people who are willing to pay much more for it than others because it provides them with a lot of utility. This is part of the demand curve that Intel is capturing with $1k+ chips and doesn't change the fact that those same chips would be cheaper if there was a similar alternative.

There are plenty of studies and articles out there talking about Intel's monopoly pricing. I believe this study was used in AMD's antitrust lawsuit against Intel where they had to pay $1.25B

New Economic Study Finds Intel Extracted Monopoly Profits of $60 Billion Since 1996 (this is from 10 years ago btw).

Derail aside, even though Ryzen doesn't live up to the hype for gaming, I'll still be considering it again in a few months. Especially if it performs well with VirtualBox.

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Is that der8auer guy known around here? I was watching his delidding video and he had the forums up on his computer.

I watched that this morning and I thought that was the forums as well! Looking again, I think it's just something that looks similar.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 3, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Pawn 17 posted:

Derail aside, even though Ryzen doesn't live up to the hype for gaming, I'll still be considering it again in a few months. Especially if it performs will with VirtualBox.

That's my thinking too, if the TDP is reasonable one of the 1700s might be a good home server CPU for VMs and network storage.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

Pawn 17 posted:

I watched that this morning and I thought that was the forums as well! Looking again, I think it's just something that looks similar.

I think you're probably right. Somebody mentioned him on here and I came across that video on youtube and just assumed that he was a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pawn 17 posted:

At least read up on the basics of microeconomics before you postulate something like that. Competition does affect luxury good pricing (competition shifts the supply curve).

And you can think of anything and there will always be some small portion of people who are willing to pay much more for it than others because it provides them with a lot of utility. This is part of the demand curve that Intel is capturing with $1k+ chips and doesn't change the fact that those same chips would be cheaper if there was a similar alternative.

There are plenty of studies and articles out there talking about Intel's monopoly pricing. I believe this study was used in AMD's antitrust lawsuit against Intel where they had to pay $1.25B

We have already seen competition with Intel multiple times. It never made Intel drop their needlessly expensive super high price chips for being on sale for $1000 or more. Remember we are talking about the chips that are only marginally better than the normal top of the line, but take hundreds of dollars higher prices. They've consistently been on sale since the 90s.

You're somehow not getting that just shouting your economics 101 level understanding doesn't change history, and is not going to tell you about the future in this specific product category.

• Locked thread