Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Honky Dong Country posted:

I think any argument involving "b-b-but this man/woman is a liar!" is dumb because all politicians are liars to some degree.

isn't it their job :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
There isn't such a thing as a politician that isn't a liar. You just chose the dishonesty that appeals to you the most. Trumps lies were far more appealing than Hillary's.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

new phone who dis posted:

The 17-agency report primarily revolves around the IC wanting people to admit Russia helped Wikileaks embarrass Clinton. There's no evidence of any actual election fraud or links to Trump's people, just a hopping mad group of organizations who usually run these type of ops instead of watching them get run getting clowned.

yeah, but 17 agencies :smug:

17!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Nut to Butt posted:

isn't it their job :confused:

Harrower posted:

There isn't such a thing as a politician that isn't a liar. You just chose the dishonesty that appeals to you the most. Trumps lies were far more appealing than Hillary's.

Agreed. They're all loving liars. They all say things both in office and on campaign that they know is a lie designed to pander. You just gotta try to decide what they actually will do and decide according to that, IMO.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

sincx posted:

There's a lot of smoke. The Dems need to push instead of falling back.

Are you afraid of what they'll find?

Holy jesus christ. The guy you just quoted is the first reasonable person I have seen in a while in this poo poo pit.
This is your response in the face of the calm reason?

You are that fat REEEEEEEEEEEE lady at the innaguration, arent you?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Frog Tripper posted:

Holy jesus christ. The guy you just quoted is the first reasonable person I have seen in a while in this poo poo pit.
This is your response in the face of the calm reason?

You are that fat REEEEEEEEEEEE lady at the innaguration, arent you?
oh yea, also, frog people are all about "the memes"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
gotta admire how anti hillary the frogmen still are even though she lost really badly and their man won

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

thathonkey posted:

gotta admire how anti hillary the frogmen still are even though she lost really badly and their man won

Yeah It's pretty cool how she is so unlikeable that she is even hated by half of her own party in addition to the froggers.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Honky Dong Country posted:

Just don't get yer dick sucked in office lmao

I just figured out how Trump will get impeached, he'll be caught getting head from Ivanka

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Animal-Mother posted:

Educated doesn't mean not dumb. You'd have to be an idiot to think DONALD TRUMP should be the president. It's really that simple. A large number of Americans are just plain stupid.

yes and they vote so whatcha gon do

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
it sure sucks that people are lumping in all frogs with that one alt-right frog

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Toadvine posted:

yes and they vote so whatcha gon do

Full communism now imho

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

thathonkey posted:

Meh, like Trump, they confused winning the election with earning everyone's respect, and are genuinely shocked and heartbroken that this was not the case.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Dems should realize that if they continue to push and end up with a big, wet fart, people are going to punish them for it.

Hahaha lol if that were the case then BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI wait what EMAILS

quote:

This isn't a win/win scenario for them. If the investigation they managed to knock Sessions off of comes back and exonerates Trump, they're going to pay for it politically. People supporting this witch hunt should realize the price they may have to pay if it doesn't pay off. They're making a heavy bet on Trump being an evil genius when most evidence points to ineptitude.

It doesn't matter what happens, everyone has the attention span of mayflies now and the American public literally cannot distinguish between smoke and fire, so let's throw more wet logs on this sucker and BREATHE DEEEEEEEP

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hahaha lol if that were the case then BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI wait what EMAILS

It doesn't matter what happens, everyone has the attention span of mayflies now and the American public literally cannot distinguish between smoke and fire, so let's throw more wet logs on this sucker and BREATHE DEEEEEEEP

That works both for and against trying to keep the whole Russia thing going. You can only repackage it so many times. You're not wrong, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

That works both for and against trying to keep the whole Russia thing going. You can only repackage it so many times. You're not wrong, though.

Every day the Trump White House spends mired in scandal and dealing with bullshit is another day they're not literally torturing puppies so this is all good imho

Seriously, today they were planning to announce the newest iteration of their Muslim Ban so even if this whole scandal evaporates tomorrow it bought brown people in America another day of freedom

(spoiler: this scandal is not evaporating)

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Every day the Trump White House spends mired in scandal and dealing with bullshit is another day they're not literally torturing puppies so this is all good imho

Seriously, today they were planning to announce the newest iteration of their Muslim Ban so even if this whole scandal evaporates tomorrow it bought brown people in America another day of freedom

I'm trying to figure out the thought process behind someone in the administration making puppy mill data a target but I just can't get my head around it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I'm trying to figure out the thought process behind someone in the administration making puppy mill data a target but I just can't get my head around it.

Are you heavily invested in the puppy mill industry?

The logic here is generally "more money for us, gently caress you"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Are you heavily invested in the puppy mill industry?

The logic here is generally "more money for us, gently caress you"

I wasn't sure the puppy mill people had such a strong lobby. It seems like a very strange place to target.

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.
This isn't an example of propping up the puppy mills. It's an example of the administration's bull-in-a-china-shop ineptitude.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I wasn't sure the puppy mill people had such a strong lobby. It seems like a very strange place to target.

It's surprisingly easy to lobby for this kind of thing if you have money, but the why doesn't really matter much end of the day, they still did it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
A little digging and it seems like maybe the USDA was already in the process of doing this before Trump.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ne...-hpa-compliance

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
But I mean let's just assume Trump wants to torture puppies for money until otherwise proven, right? Totally doesn't make you look like a loving lunatic.

CalvinCoolidge
Dec 27, 2008

Macrowave Oven posted:

This isn't an example of propping up the puppy mills. It's an example of the administration's bull-in-a-china-shop ineptitude.

If you actually read the article that the editorial that was listed linked to, you would have read that:

Fake News Outlet Huffington Post posted:

In a statement, the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service cited court rulings and privacy laws for the decision, which it said was the result of a “comprehensive review” that took place over the past year.

I hate puppy mills as much as the next guy, but I mean... laws and poo poo.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nothing will happen.

Sessions isn't going to resign. The GOP isn't going to force the issue. The Dems are going to pursue a fruitless investigation.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

A little digging and it seems like maybe the USDA was already in the process of doing this before Trump.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ne...-hpa-compliance

hahahahaha

hey guys is trump hosed yet lmao

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Frijolero posted:

Nothing will happen.

Sessions isn't going to resign. The GOP isn't going to force the issue. The Dems are going to pursue a fruitless investigation.

It doesn't have to force resignations to be worthwhile. It's worthwhile just as a constant distraction. Every hour Trump has to spend on this makes it harder for him to do other things.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

It doesn't have to force resignations to be worthwhile. It's worthwhile just as a constant distraction. Every hour Trump has to spend on this makes it harder for him to do other things.

Like torture puppies?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Like war with Iran

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Like torture puppies?

Look, Trump's a monster and the Republicans are monsters and their policies are going to kill thousands of people. Just as one example, if nothing else, Paul Ryan's proposed and planned replacement of medicaid's defined benefit requirements with state-level block grants will by itself result in the deaths of tens of thousands of people due to lack of necessary medical care. And that's just one planned benefit cut out of many.

If pointing out that they are practically on the same level as Disney villains requires a hyperbolic example to get the point across -- and the puppies example does that -- so be it.

Toadvine posted:

Like war with Iran

hey, let's not narrow it down just yet!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/774340/Trump-military-review-North-Korea-China-Japan-Russia-Missile-War-Games

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

We'll be greeted as liberators, China gets to deal with a humanitarian crisis on their border, win-win

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Look, Trump's a monster and the Republicans are monsters and their policies are going to kill thousands of people. Just as one example, if nothing else, Paul Ryan's proposed and planned replacement of medicaid's defined benefit requirements with state-level block grants will by itself result in the deaths of tens of thousands of people due to lack of necessary medical care. And that's just one planned benefit cut out of many.

If pointing out that they are practically on the same level as Disney villains requires a hyperbolic example to get the point across -- and the puppies example does that -- so be it.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/774340/Trump-military-review-North-Korea-China-Japan-Russia-Missile-War-Games

so this is what reading dnd all day does to people lol

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

CalvinCoolidge posted:

If you actually read the article that the editorial that was listed linked to, you would have read that:

I hate puppy mills as much as the next guy, but I mean... laws and poo poo.

Oh so it's Obama's fault gotcha

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

You don't see how starting with the hyperbolic and patently untrue bullshit undermines your credibility? Why lead with the puppies thing? Didn't that at least smell a LITTLE like bullshit to you? Do you think war with Iran or the repeal of Obamacare aren't good enough arguments to make by themselves? Does the left really need to embrace every stupid loving conspiracy that comes down the pipe now out of solidarity in some sort of spectacular self-detonation? Does clicking an extra link or two to vet what you're looking at really take that much effort when the result of not doing so is getting hilariously proven wrong?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
maybe he's just getting recipes from north korea to eat all these torured puppies

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

hello welcome to hellthread where 25% of posters are frog men please enjoy your stay also please dont say mean things about white people racism is dead and this is why trump won

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Blanket gag orders on administrations are bad. Don't need fake news to tell me that.

The USDA and the New Jersey puppy mill fiasco has nothing to do with Trump. I'm clicking and learning!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Puppy mill stuff is not "patently untrue". At best, there's an alternate possible explanation (prior litigation) other than pure nefariousness.

On the other hand, there's also a pattern of the Trump administration destroying public records that help perceived "liberal" causes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.7dc53306b665
http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/trump-administration-removes-lgbtq-content-federal-websites-n711416
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/20/us/politics/trump-white-house-website.html
http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/1/25/14370712/trump-science-gagging-explained

I think you're extending the Trump administration the benefit of the doubt when they've done nothing to deserve same.

Especially since, in the instance of puppy mills specifically,

quote:

But one of Trump's most recent picks to helm his transition, Brian Klippenstein, has an almost cartoonishly-villainous history protecting puppy mills from regulation that would make them more humane.

Trump tapped Klippenstein to join the team leading the U.S. Department of Agriculture transition on Friday, Mother Jones reported. Klippenstein is the executive director of Protect the Harvest, an organization that, as Mother Jones reported, "seems to exist mainly to troll the Humane Society of the United States.". . . .

Klippenstein's organization has also, as Mother Jones reported, worked to fight legislation which would regulate puppy mills, factories in which puppies are bred to be sold in pet shops and malls. The bill that Protect the Harvest fought against proposed requiring "large-scale dog breeding operations" to "provide each dog under their care with sufficient food, clean water, housing and space."

https://mic.com/articles/162185/trump-s-newest-pick-is-a-defender-of-puppy-mills-an-industry-of-torture#.n0T2gTC6T

So sure, maybe the removal of puppy mill records is because of amorphous and unexplained litigation. Alternatively, the guy Trump hired who is in fact a puppy mill lobbyist is doing his job.

Kjoery posted:

hello welcome to hellthread where 25% of posters are frog men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exnaY0l4XsM

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 3, 2017

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

You don't see how starting with the hyperbolic and patently untrue bullshit undermines your credibility? Why lead with the puppies thing? Didn't that at least smell a LITTLE like bullshit to you? Do you think war with Iran or the repeal of Obamacare aren't good enough arguments to make by themselves? Does the left really need to embrace every stupid loving conspiracy that comes down the pipe now out of solidarity in some sort of spectacular self-detonation? Does clicking an extra link or two to vet what you're looking at really take that much effort when the result of not doing so is getting hilariously proven wrong?

Your argument comes down to: "Policies don't have consequences. You explained the consequences of Trump's policies. Stop being hyperbolic"

At least old hellthread just wanted to laugh at people on tumblr and the alt-right. This is full of people who clearly don't care about the people who have already been hurt by Trump's policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Let us English posted:

Your argument comes down to: "Policies don't have consequences. You explained the consequences of Trump's policies. Stop being hyperbolic"

At least old hellthread just wanted to laugh at people on tumblr and the alt-right. This is full of people who clearly don't care about the people who have already been hurt by Trump's policies.

My argument is that every time someone posts some dumb, untrue bullshit like puppy torture, rounding up the gays into camps, or whatever the hyperbolic stupidity of the moment is, people who aren't entrenched on either side roll their eyes at you and you lose credibility and possible allies. Nobody is taking down Trump without the swing vote and broad popular support, and the Democrats and anti-Trump people in general don't have that right now. Melting down into leftist Alex Jones isn't going to help your cause.

• Locked thread