Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

pee out my butt posted:

Don't keep your phone in the same pocket as your pocket sand.

I just fastball the phone at the pavement to build up my phone's resistance to scratches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

$7 Glass Screen Protectors are too much to ask for making sure you screen remains flawless and uncracked in the off chance it does end up falling at some point in its life? Playing Russian Roulette every time you handle your device/put it in a pocket/place it anywhere that isn't ground level/etc isn't what I would consider worth it on a $600+ phone.

Screen protectors have saved me about 3 solid faceplants without a scratch on the screen, and only a cheap replacement from Amazon to get that new screen look and feel back. Also putting them on really is easy as cake if you're patient and have a can of compressed air to assist the final stage before laying it down.

Sooooooo much easier than the old plastic garbage days.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

No cases. No screen protectors. Never Settldksirndk

*drops phone*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, I don't have the motor skills of a 5 year old.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Only 5 year olds have ever accidentally dropped anything ever.

e: One of the more interesting cases of "accidentally dropped" something. Should have used a screen protector.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 3, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Screen protectors, even your fancy glass ones, still look and feel like poo poo.

I would rather take the risk that I might have to shell out $129 for a display replacement than use a screen protector.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The fingerprint sensor on the Pixel is so much better than the S7's in terms of both speed and accuracy.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Screen protectors, even your fancy glass ones, still look and feel like poo poo.

I would rather take the risk that I might have to shell out $129 for a display replacement than use a screen protector.

I just don't get this thinking. Mine looks and feels literally exactly like actual screen glass. Even after a year and a few months of use. Like, unless I look at the edges I forget that it's there.

They are less great on phones with tapering edges to their screens, though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

I just don't get this thinking. Mine looks and feels literally exactly like actual screen glass. Even after a year and a few months of use. Like, unless I look at the edges I forget that it's there.

Same, I've been buying glass protectors for every phone I get and unless you're trying to spot it, you can barely tell it's there. I also think finger movement is improved a bit and it doesn't leave smudges nearly as bad. For $7 for a "better" feeling display and piece of mind that it's not getting sand scratches and potentially protect it from drops, I see no reason not to get one. Helps resale value too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Aren't most glass screen protectors harder than usual, too? I think I've seen several at a 9.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
The only protection I feel I need on my pixel is a dbrand skin on the back glass so I don't feel bad about sliding it around on a table. Also to make it easier to distinguish the fingerprint reader.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've never seen a glass protector that didn't cause a lot of extra glare. That said I'm using one on my N6P because it got a couple of really annoying scratches on the bare screen and the oleophobic coating was gone anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno, I've been using smartphones for 9 years and have yet to shatter a screen. Maybe I'm lucky, but I'm fine paying a small amount for a replacement screen rather than have an ugly, bad-feeling protector.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sirbeefalot posted:

The edges stand out like crazy (and guess what phone has tapered glass on the screen.)

There is a huge difference in feel because you've (conservatively) doubled the distance between your finger and the display. We finally have premium devices that have screens bonded with zero gap to the glass, I don't want to regress and have my finger floating a mile above the display.

I'm annoyed enough that I feel compelled to do a super slim case due to the back glass, I don't feel like junking up the thing further.

I'm not saying it doesn't work for you, but it doesn't work for me. I hate cases, I hate screen protectors, why bother having a nicely designed device if you aren't ever going to interact with it?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Screen protectors have highly reflective edges and, with multiple cutouts for cameras, sensors and grills, there are a lot of them. They're too small around the phone yet too large around the components; an ill-fitting foreign object calling attention to itself anytime a few photons hit it right.

e:f,b ? son of a

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I really hate screen protectors

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno, I've been using smartphones for 9 years and have yet to shatter a screen. Maybe I'm lucky, but I'm fine paying a small amount for a replacement screen rather than have an ugly, bad-feeling protector.

bull3964 posted:

The edges stand out like crazy (and guess what phone has tapered glass on the screen.)

There is a huge difference in feel because you've (conservatively) doubled the distance between your finger and the display. We finally have premium devices that have screens bonded with zero gap to the glass, I don't want to regress and have my finger floating a mile above the display.

I'm annoyed enough that I feel compelled to do a super slim case due to the back glass, I don't feel like junking up the thing further.

I'm not saying it doesn't work for you, but it doesn't work for me. I hate cases, I hate screen protectors, why bother having a nicely designed device if you aren't ever going to interact with it?

Yep, all of this. I guess it also helps that I don't do risky behaviors like having my phone in my hand when entering or exiting a vehicle but I'm not dropping devices. I've never had a case or screen protector on any smartphone and have never had an incident where I wished I had. :shrug:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Every phone I've ever had got lots of little scratches on the screen except my latest and greatest phone, the Axon 7.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's a minor annoyance compared to those that buy a premium phone, then throw an otter box around the stupid thing.

However since my Nexus 6P started to pick up some edge scrapes, it is the first one I have gotten a case for even if it is a clear Spigen Clear Hybrid.

I have used screen protectors going back to my first PDA the Dell Axim X50v. Though back then you had evil terrible plastic sheets that were downright garbage.

The Glass we have now with some of the oleophobic coatings is like a new screen and as long as you get one that fits well, its almost unnoticeable after a little while.

I don't care how careful people say they are with their phone, I have never had luck even with a dedicated pocket with nothing else, to not get at least minor scratches to start showing up on the stock screen. (The HTC 10 went the longest without one without picking up any scrapes on any surface of it. The Freaking Metal on it was Titanium compared to the 6P's lead edges it seemed).

Whatever floats your boat really. I'll do what I will with my $700+ investment, and you do what you want. I just personally like my phones to appear "Like New" at the end of 2 years if possible.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I've never had a screen protector that still felt good to use after a month or so because the coating wore off or the gaps kept collecting dust and ticked me off enough to just peel it off. Maybe I kept buying cheap poo poo, who knows.

Of course on the other hand one of my friends replaced his OnePlus one's screen twice and after cracking it the third time he gave up and bought a nexus 5x. Which now also has a cracked screen. An ounce of prevention might have helped him there.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty much every "film" protector is garbage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really wish they'd just design phones with an easily replaceable protective upper screen layer that you could drop by the shop and have done or do it yourself if you're slightly technical. Basically a manufacturer-made glass screen protector built into the design with the bezel levelled with it and fitting it in place. But I'm guessing screen replacement is a revenue source.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 3, 2017

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Only 5 year olds have ever accidentally dropped anything ever.

e: One of the more interesting cases of "accidentally dropped" something. Should have used a screen protector.

Sounds like a future samsung phone incident.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MikeJF posted:

I really wish they'd just design phones with an easily replaceable protective upper screen layer that you could drop by the shop and have done or do it yourself if you're slightly technical. Basically a manufacturer-made glass screen protector built into the design with the bezel levelled with it and fitting it in place. But I'm guessing screen replacement is a revenue source.

Screens are bonded and thats why modern screens are so great and why glass screen protectors make them worse. You just can't have replaceable glass and have effectively zero distance between your finger and the "objects" you're touching/moving on the phone UI.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MikeJF posted:

The Motorola Turbo 2 did something like this, actually, though I think the top layer was plastic.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.

Endless Mike posted:

The Motorola Turbo 2 did something like this, actually, though I think the top layer was plastic.

It was. One of the main selling features of the phone iirc. That thing was a tank!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moto Z Force is similar. Both screens get knocks for quality though for the very reason you expect. The display isn't as close to the surface as others.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

grimcreaper posted:

Sounds like a future samsung phone incident.

At least we wouldn't have to charge it!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Desk Lamp posted:

I'm probably mistaken, but I sort of remember someone in this thread saying the latest Gorilla Glass traded some scratch resistance in favor of more shatter resistance, that could account for your experience.

I think that statement was based on some guy on YouTube doing scratch tests. Later he realized his testing methodology was screwed up (he did tests with used tools with dirt/imperfections), but the damage was already done.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

azurite posted:

I think that statement was based on some guy on YouTube doing scratch tests. Later he realized his testing methodology was screwed up (he did tests with used tools with dirt/imperfections), but the damage was already done.

JerryRigEverything had sharpened his picks using the same sharpener for multiple hardnesses, so the tips got contaminated. He released a follow up video explaining the failure, and explained that he would no longer attempt to sharpen picks, and instead buy completely new sets each time. It was the first time he'd tried sharpening them.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Yeah, from a marketing standpoint it seemed pretty unlikely that Gorilla Glass would've made a move like that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What's better, Spotify or Google Play Music

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

GPM

Not the only reason, but it comes with ad free YouTube.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

GPM

Not in Canada (or most countries I believe), it's solely the play music all access for the monthly fee, no added value.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not in Canada (or most countries I believe), it's solely the play music all access for the monthly fee, no added value.

Ive been happy with GPM. I had pandora before, and actually prefer its stations, but GPM letting you upload music you can't find (so far, almost nothing but a few local bands) and stream it makes it worth it to me. I have a family plan for 15$. The ad' free youtube pushes it over the edge for me (USA). Sorry for your country of choice.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wow, I didn't notice. I'd choose UHC over ad free YouTube any day.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

RZA Encryption posted:

GPM

Only in a few countries.

drat it, responded too late again.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I personally prefer Spotify but in terms of quality they are almost interchangeable. Get which ever one you can find deals on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm asking because I can't justify using GPM when I don't get YouTube Red and Spotify Premium is included in my monthly cell bill from Rogers.

The only thing keeping me in GPM now, other than the fact I'm deeply integrated into all Google Services, is how on earth I'd move my playlists and library over to Spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm asking because I can't justify using GPM when I don't get YouTube Red and Spotify Premium is included in my monthly cell bill from Rogers.

The only thing keeping me in GPM now, other than the fact I'm deeply integrated into all Google Services, is how on earth I'd move my playlists and library over to Spotify.

Well that just seems like a no brainer. I'd dump GPM if you get Spotify "free".
Dunno if it works, but it claims to as of 2/17. Unportify