Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Image announced Matt Wagner's Mage: The Hero Denied, the final series will be coming out this summer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Image announced Matt Wagner's Mage: The Hero Denied, the final series will be coming out this summer!

woah that's sick

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Holy crap!!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Anyone else pick up Royal City yesterday? I'm a sucker for Jeff Lemire, but I thought it did a good job of establishing the setting and characters, and there was a good hook in there too. Looking forward to more!

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Anyone else pick up Royal City yesterday? I'm a sucker for Jeff Lemire, but I thought it did a good job of establishing the setting and characters, and there was a good hook in there too. Looking forward to more!

I picked it up, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Glad to hear it's pleasing. In other Image #1 news, Rat Queens was pretty entertaining. I didn't read the old series but it sure seems like its more of the same, and it looks like that same is pretty entertaining, if a little shallow.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Shovelmint posted:

I picked it up, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Glad to hear it's pleasing. In other Image #1 news, Rat Queens was pretty entertaining. I didn't read the old series but it sure seems like its more of the same, and it looks like that same is pretty entertaining, if a little shallow.

Rat Queens is best when shallow. It's an almost perfect translation of a Friday night beer and pretzels d&d game into comics. Where Volume 1 fell down (aside from the incredible artist curse that rivaled the Spinal Tap drummer curse) was when it tried to get serious - badly. Ironically, it read like a friday night D&D game that was about to break up due to drama between the dungeon master and his girlfriend over in-game behavior.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There were a ton of Image comics announced with Mage.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/02/image-announcements-panel-eccc-announced-start-image-expo-2018/

Joe Casey/Ulises Farinas "The Lieutenants Of Metal"
Justin Jordan/Donal DeLay "Death Of Love"
Justin Jordan/Morgan Beem "The Family Trade"
Joseph Keatinge/Wool Jin Clark "Flavor"
Sarah Vaughn/Leila Del Duca "Sleepless"
Jordie Bellaire (writing!)/Vanessa del Rey "Redlands"
Jody Leheup and Sebastian Girner/Neil Vendrell "Shirtless Bear Fighter"
Jeff Lemire/Phil Hester"The Family Tree"
Doug Wagner/Nick Rummel "The Hard Place"
Ales Kot/Andre Lima Araujo "Generation Gone"
Ales Kot/Tradd Moore "The New World"
Phillip Barrett/Declan Shalvey "Savage Town"
Pablo Raimondi/Klaus Janson "Sacred Creatures"
Grace Ellis/Shae Beagle "Moonstruck"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Family Trade sounds right up my alley.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Shirtless Bear Fighter may be pretty generic, but goddamn if that isn't a good sell on a generic premise.

Family Trade does look great. I've always been a sucker for a good ocean world, ever since Tale Spin.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think The Family Trade, Flavor, Sleepless, Redlands, and The New World all sound interesting to try out. Might check out Sacred Creatures too.

Not much interest in anything else. That Savage Town one sounds pretty bad to me, actually.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Since they didn't get through on the panel, here's the details about Lemire's Family Tree
http://jefflemire.blogspot.co.nz/2017/03/family-tree-new-series-from-jeff-lemire.html

quote:

FAMILY TREE
Bestselling, award-winning Jeff Lemire (ROYAL CITY, DESCENDER, Sweet Tooth) and Phil Hester (Shipwreck, Green Arrow) come together for FAMILY TREE.

When an eight-year-old girl literally begins to transform into a tree, her single Mom, troubled brother and possibly insane Grandfather embark on a bizarre, and heart-wrenching odyssey across the back roads of America desperately searching for a way to cure to her horrifying transformation before it’s too late.

But the further they get from home, and the closer the girl gets to completely losing her humanity, the more external forces threaten to tear the family apart as fanatical cults, mercenaries and and tabloid Paparazzi close in. determined to destroy the girl or use her for themselves.

A new genre-defying ongoing series The Family Tree will combine mystery, action and Cronenbergian body horror into an epic story about the lengths a Mother will go to keep her children safe in the face of an increasingly unstable world and unspeakable horrors.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, that sounds cool too. I'm always up for body horror stuff.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i will read that book

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Also soundtrack with a link for Spotify!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ex-Vertigo editor Shelly Bond has an imprint coming at IDW.
http://comicsalliance.com/shelly-bond-black-crown-idw-eccc-17/

quote:

IDW Publishing is thrilled to announce the arrival of Shelly Bond to its editorial ranks. One of the most respected and admired editors among her peers, Bond previously served as VP-Executive Editor of DC Comics’ Vertigo imprint. With over two decades of comic-industry experience to draw from, Bond’s considerable skills and keen eye for talent will pave the way for exciting new projects and original voices.
Bond’s passion and enthusiasm for the art form make her a welcome addition to the team. Her previous successes speak for themselves. Fables, The Invisibles, Sandman: Overture, Lucifer, iZombie, and DC’s Young Animal line are just a handful of acclaimed projects which formed under her all-seeing eye.
“I’ve long admired from afar Shelly’s track record and have been a huge fan of the direction, vision, and creative teams she’s assembled on her books over the years,” said Chris Ryall, IDW’s Chief Creative Officer. “ I’m estatic about the idea of getting to work directly with her in building Black Crown into ‘the Ruling Class’ of creator-owned comics.”
The title “Black Crown” will be all-encompassing as it represents not only the name of the creator-owned imprint, but also a pub that anchors a mysterious street which connects each creator-owned title. Top creators will tell stories of a singular vision and point of view but will also have the opportunity to intersect with the tapestry of this unprecedented shared environment by way of owning storefront real estate that correlates to their particular creations.
“If you know anything about my reputation, you know that I’m selective about story, art, and design,” said Bond. “The same applies to a publisher. I can’t think of a better fit for BLACK CROWN than with IDW. They appreciate, share and champion my vision for creating concepts that are first and foremost incredible, unconventional, and riveting comic books. I can’t wait to announce the impressive coterie of creators, both familiar and next wave, who are working as we speak to bring back the bravado to creator-owned comics.”

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

But... isn't IDW really bad?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
IDW is currently the King Of Licensed Properties™, but I wouldn't call them bad.

They put out Ghostbusters, after all.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

IDW also started publishing The Obscure Cities, although I seem to have missed The Leaning Girl before it went out of print grumble grumble.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Incredibly, Copperhead is releasing a new issue this week. Looking it up, the last issue was October 2015.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chairman Capone posted:

Incredibly, Copperhead is releasing a new issue this week. Looking it up, the last issue was October 2015.

It's about drat time.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah!

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Remender! :argh: Low's first issue since August was good. Also was entirely a flashback, so I guess it's another month before we get any resolution at all on that teensy weensy little cliffhanger of issue 15.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uber Invasion #4 covers what happened in Britain and how Turing and Steph got to the US, where Leah is. No pushing of the timeline.

Well uh, yeah. A little girl battleship candidate. This should be horrible.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Synthbuttrange posted:

Uber Invasion #4 covers what happened in Britain and how Turing and Steph got to the US, where Leah is. No pushing of the timeline.

Well uh, yeah. A little girl battleship candidate. This should be horrible.

Yeah that was a brutal chapter. This has been a rough volume so far.

I am wondering just what it was that Turing discovered, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I laughed when Leah did the thing in the truck tho. :v

As for what the new activation does we probably wont find out for several more issues.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Finally picked this up and I'm on board. Sounds like the book that Lemire really wants to be making right now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Thom and the Heads posted:

Finally picked this up and I'm on board. Sounds like the book that Lemire really wants to be making right now.

Yep esp with him no longer doing anything at marvel or DC

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house

Synthbuttrange posted:

I laughed when Leah did the thing in the truck tho. :v

I couldn't stop thinking about the bit in the Simpsons. 'That's what I call 'breakneck speed!'.

"mom, a man just died."

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

I am wondering just what it was that Turing discovered, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Fingers crossed for über horses.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I might've missed it, but where did they send Leah and Tamara? The Allied forces in Italy? Or the USA, somehow?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

BigglesSWE posted:

I might've missed it, but where did they send Leah and Tamara? The Allied forces in Italy? Or the USA, somehow?

I think italy because they have the raw precursor or whatever

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

atal posted:

I couldn't stop thinking about the bit in the Simpsons. 'That's what I call 'breakneck speed!'.

"mom, a man just died."

I was thinking more "Stupid Nazis, you go squish now!"

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
While waiting for Low to give me some resolution I've been reading Remender's back catalogue. He is unquestionably a master. Black Science is fantastic after two trades amping up to ridiculous multidimensional adventures. I was not nearly as pleased with the start of Deadly Class. And then issue 4, an arc starts in a police station with a tale of drug use and the series is off to the races. I didn't understand the popularity of the series until then, but those 3 issues sold me on the rest of it. His stories are going to cost me a lot of money this year. And that's without even touching his work with Marvel. I imagine at some point those Uncanny X-Force compendiums will find their way into my hands, but I think I prefer him with free reign to torment the inhabitants of his universes as he pleases.

In non-Remender news, I'm super excited for more Curse Words, though the end of issue #2 left me with some worries about its visual direction. I have faith that it will be handled well. Curse Words is just awesome. Frame after frame of Wizord being awesome and doing awesome stuff and looking awesome doing it. It's not sophisticated, but it is fuckin' sweeeeeet. #3 comes out on Wednesday along with reprints of #1 and #2

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finished a couple older minis. Who Is Jake Ellis and Where is Jake Ellis by Nathan Edmunson. They were good little thrillers but very compressed, especially the first one. Definitely felt like there was more of a story to be told and just not enough space to tell it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Getting caught up after letting stuff pile up for weeks, and finally made a dent into a massive backlog of Giant Days I got during a Comixology sale and I frickin' love this book. I'm sure part of it is simply because it's a comic about British university students, so it's more directly relateable to me as I fondly remember my own student days but the art is adoreable and the characters are flawed but remain likeable. Susan and McGraw breaking up because she wouldn't let him help her when she was overwhelmed and clearly let him slip down her priority list is very, very real in a way that isn't overtly melodramatic. A lot of other comics would've had one cheat on the other or lots of recrimination, but nope, it's handled in a funny, silly in the absurdist way the book dips into, but believeable way. (I'm only up to about #16, btw)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/animal-noir-1/ - This looks right up my alley, is it any good?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://www.cbr.com/crosswind-1-exclusive-preview/?utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-TW&view=list

New comic from Gail Simone

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So it's an M-rated Freaky Friday?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Oh man, heck of a Shutter this month. I wasn't aware things were starting to wind down, but it's been a good run and I look forward to the last few issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Today I read the new Curse Words. Fun, and the resolution of problems from the end of issue 2 is certainly... magical.
I also read the second Deadly Class trade. There's a sequence from issue #10, I believe, that had me rolling with laughter. From the wake up with Saya to the run to the comic shop sale to the burrito to "go time" was just a perfect sequence. Rest of the issue was good, but from the beginning to when his classmates arrive was perfection This series' high points are so incredibly high that I got sold on the rest of the series, so once this shipment arrives I think I own all of Remender's image trades now.