Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

https://jimll.co.uk/products/pixel-peaks-t-shirt?variant=38774370311

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Also when we're talking about terrible S2 subplots, I'd like to say that - apart from James' awful adventure - Eckhart's assistant and world's worst assassin was loving stupid and made no sense whatsoever.

Actually, Eckhart in general was pretty bad for much the same reason that Windom Earle was bad. Both of them were villains that were built up a lot through other characters' exposition about how brilliant and dangerous they were, and then turn out to be about as menacing than a fart that was a little bigger than you thought it was going to be but was still totally dry. Though Earle at least managed to have a few really excellent moments in the final two episodes.

I will still defend Nadine's bizarre arc, mostly based on Mike and Bobby having a conversation about her producing one of the funniest moments in the entire series. And while the whole Jean Renault/Ernie thing kinda fell flat, Denise never would've been a character without it.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Might as well just put in the OP:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

el oso posted:

Lol, why are people so bent in stopping folks form watching half the series

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

el oso posted:

This is extremely useful and concise, thanks!

It should go in the OP, btw.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

It straight up says that skipping episodes is unwise?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Then what is the point of the graphic?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Then what is the point of the graphic?

Gives you a heads up to brace yourself? Fortify your courage with strong drink? If you don't know what you're in for, you might make like the audiences in 1991 and split when it gets rough.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 3, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

I loathe those episodes but just watch the show for goodness sake jeez louise.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

EmmyOk posted:

I loathe those episodes but just watch the show for goodness sake jeez louise.

Seriously. The "bad" parts of those episodes are such a minor time investment and they're still more worthwhile than entire seasons of lesser shows.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Section 9 posted:

Seriously. The "bad" parts of those episodes are such a minor time investment and they're still more worthwhile than entire seasons of lesser shows.

No the James stuff is straight up garbage and worse than the worst episodes of many lesser shows.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man the James plotline isn't even my biggest criticism of Twin Peaks. It's flawed but really, really overblown.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Raxivace posted:

Man the James plotline isn't even my biggest criticism of Twin Peaks. It's flawed but really, really overblown.

It's got one really good point: you can skip the entirety of it and it has zero impact on anything else in the show.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The graphic is right. The show is absolutely useless for that entire red section.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
If Nadine doesn't get a fleshed out B plot in an episode I'm gonna be pissed

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Jordan7hm posted:

No the James stuff is straight up garbage and worse than the worst episodes of many lesser shows.

I'll grant you that. But, and I will admit I haven't timed it, I'm pretty sure the James stuff all together is maybe an hour total time.

And if you watch all the James stuff you get the benefit that you can be smug to newcomers to the series about just how lovely those parts are.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 3, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Section 9 posted:

I'll grant you that. But, and I will admit I haven't timed it, I'm pretty sure the James stuff all together is maybe an hour total time.

And if you watch all the James stuff you get the benefit that you can be smug to newcomers to the series about just how lovely those parts are.

You can also just watch the first scene, realize that it is in fact as bad as everyone says, and then skip the rest safe in the knowledge that skipping it does not in any way impact the rest of the show.

You definitely shouldn't skip the entire episodes though, because then you would miss Duchovny's amazing scenes and the return of Lynch the actor and some of the most memorable lines in the entire series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey everyone, I started this thread back in 2009, and I realize my OP sucks.

If anyone wants to take it upon themselves to create a newer, better, all-purpose Twin Peaks thread with the new season just months away, I won't be offended at all. I'd welcome it, and I'd happily participate, and I could close this one.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The analysis in the graphic is spot on but I'd probably change the colour scheme so it's green, lighter green, even lighter green. There isn't really a bad episode of TP, just varying degrees of really pretty good.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I would make it but I know who I am and it'd just be a lot of photos of Chip Desmond and Coop.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I would make it but I know who I am and it'd just be a lot of photos of Chip Desmond and Coop.

The next OP should just be a giant gif of Jerry and Ben eating baguettes

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Josie: in a night stand. Don't ask

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Ginette Reno posted:

The next OP should just be a giant gif of Jerry and Ben eating baguettes

Yes.

Also season two Ben Horne is immensely entertaining.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Maybe I missed it in here but Doc Hayward died in real life a couple weeks ago

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So I finally started watching this. It's been on my list forever but I just never got around to it. I'm only through the pilot but I already feel like Cooper is my spirit animal. Obsession with trees, coffee. Talking to electronic devices.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Luchadork posted:

So I finally started watching this. It's been on my list forever but I just never got around to it. I'm only through the pilot but I already feel like Cooper is my spirit animal. Obsession with trees, coffee. Talking to electronic devices.

You're in for a wild and wonderful ride my friend.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

If this third season is the final run of the show, I hope we can get a buddy cop film with Dale Cooper and Gordon Cole realizing that they're too old for this poo poo after enduring a bunch of surreal hijinks as a coda.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Luchadork posted:

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret; every day, give yourself a little clip of Cooper. Don't plan it, don't expect it, just let it happen. It could be him throwing rocks out in the forest, it could be him talking to Diane or Agent Rosenfield, it doesn't matter.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Luchadork posted:

The first thing I noticed about Twin Peaks and what made the music stand out to me is Cooper's theme music. It is almost like a Pink Panther theme.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Maddy. :smith:

Luchadork fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 15, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

net cafe scandal posted:

The graphic is right. The show is absolutely useless for that entire red section.

I skipped the red section for my first rewatch which concluded pretty recently, but now since Season 2 was so fresh in my mind I was like "well maybe on my second rewatch (got the blu-ray collection finally) I'll skip over the great early Season 2 episodes and jump straight into the poo poo". I'm already regretting it after two episodes of James and Whats-her-Face and Whats-her-Face's Brother. Denise and The Dick and Andy Show are the only things keeping me afloat, I don't know if I'll even finish this rewatch before the new season.

But I first binge watched the show like 6 years ago, and that was the only time I ever watched the lovely episodes until just recently. Even if they're worthless, that's still a huge gap in my Twin Peaks memory. Maybe it's better that way but I'm trying to revisit the lovely part anyways.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

My first viewing was the gold collection with log lady intros. Now that was hard to get into

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I just started the "red episodes" block and I'm already not liking the direction I see a few plot threads going. Not having Laura as the big mystery seems weird, too. I'm not going to skip anything, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hi, Twin Peaks thread in The TV IV! I am a massive, long-time fan of the show and I am currently doing a let's play of ode-to-Twin-Peaks video game Alan Wake. As a bonus feature for said let's play, I'm doing big thoughtposts about the series episode-by-episode and prompting discussion for the thread. I want more people to watch this marvel of television. It's intended for people who are just watching the show for the first time, but I'd be happy to have some of you folks joining the discussion if you'd like!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Eh aren't the connections between Alan Wake and Twin Peaks a little minor to warrant that much effort?

Like its a source that the game draws upon but I'm not sure I would even call it the biggest influence on Alan Wake.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 15, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was going to do a let's play of Deadly Premonition (which is much closer in tone) but that game is so incredibly not fun to play that I can't do it, which is a shame. There's a real good one out there to watch already. As I said in another thread, I'm making do with what I have!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I personally had more fun with Deadly Premonition but to each their own. I wish success upon your LP.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
You get paid for this shilling, dude?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes! In views! And more attention drawn to the wonderful and thrilling adventures of James Hurley, man with a motorcycle.

edit: But really, I just thought it'd be fun because I recently rewatched the series. Its connection to the let's play stuff is tenuous at best.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Under the vegetable posted:

You get paid for this shilling, dude?

There's no reason to be a dick dude.

• Locked thread