Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Our Man Bashir is the absolute pinnacle of holodeck episodes. It's a real shame Avery Brooks hasn't played more villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kibayasu posted:

They should rent some costumes, hire a high school play set team, buy some model minatures, and film their own with a iPhone camera.

Yeah, but thanks to those Axanar assholes, they'd now have to keep the whole thing to 15 minutes or less.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've been doing my first complete run-through of TOS -- finally watching the blu-rays I've had forever. There are many episodes I've seen large portions of as a kid, but I've never really truly watched it all cohesively. Introducing it to my wife as well, who's loving it.

We just hit the end of season 1, and we were struck by what a truly, truly awful episode "The Alternative Factor" was. I don't remember ever seeing or hearing anything about this episode; for good reason, I suppose. If "Spock's Brain" is the Plan 9 of Star Trek, this is the Manos -- less a so-bad-it's-good romp and more of an endurance test. (For bonus points, the main character kinda looks like Torgo.) The pacing of this thing is just bafflingly terrible. It feels like they beam back and forth between the planet and the Enterprise about 100 times, just kind of stumbling around trying to make sense of the episode's vague mystery concept. You'd think an episode about a potentially double-universe-ending collision between matter and antimatter would be more exciting, but alas...

Fortunately, "The City On the Edge of Forever" immediately followed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, but thanks to those Axanar assholes, they'd now have to keep the whole thing to 15 minutes or less.

And they'd have to recast everyone because professional actors aren't allowed anymore

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Duckbag posted:

The original series is fantastic, imo, and it's really great to watch how the series evolves. There's a great sense of fun and adventure in TOS that can be lacking in early Next Gen.

What? Early TNG is still a bit loose and bold, it's late TNG that gets super-stuffy and dry.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, the VFX aren't the largest concern. It's tracking down all the relevant footage and re-editing the episodes after they are scanned in.

Are you sure about that? Because that would tend to imply that any film remastering would be dauntingly expensive, but there's been other filmed shows that have been rescanned and edited back together. Is the market for old Michael Moriarty-era Law & Order episodes really that much bigger than the market for TNG episodes was?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sir Lemming posted:

I've been doing my first complete run-through of TOS -- finally watching the blu-rays I've had forever. There are many episodes I've seen large portions of as a kid, but I've never really truly watched it all cohesively. Introducing it to my wife as well, who's loving it.

We just hit the end of season 1, and we were struck by what a truly, truly awful episode "The Alternative Factor" was. I don't remember ever seeing or hearing anything about this episode; for good reason, I suppose. If "Spock's Brain" is the Plan 9 of Star Trek, this is the Manos -- less a so-bad-it's-good romp and more of an endurance test. (For bonus points, the main character kinda looks like Torgo.) The pacing of this thing is just bafflingly terrible. It feels like they beam back and forth between the planet and the Enterprise about 100 times, just kind of stumbling around trying to make sense of the episode's vague mystery concept. You'd think an episode about a potentially double-universe-ending collision between matter and antimatter would be more exciting, but alas...

Fortunately, "The City On the Edge of Forever" immediately followed.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Alternative Factor was another one of those "Gene Roddenberry was sitting under a tree furiously scrawling dialogue on a pad of paper because the script came in late" episodes. (The one that I read that story about was Shore Leave.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if The Alternative Factor was another one of those "Gene Roddenberry was sitting under a tree furiously scrawling dialogue on a pad of paper because the script came in late" episodes. (The one that I read that story about was Shore Leave.)

The title sounds like something that came out of one of those "match up your birthdate with these lists of sci-fi words" things.

I got Moon Moon

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Alternative Factor is probably the single worst episode of any Trek show, all the worse because the episodes on either side of it are classics. I still laugh when I think of Kirk mumbling "what of Lazarus" like we should give a gently caress. What of Lazarus, indeed?

The backstory here is that Lazarus was supposed to be played by John Drew Barrymore, who was on a bender and couldn't be bothered to show up to the set. They tried to film around him, but having seen the episode you'll see that there isn't much they could do. So they shut down production for a day to work out whether they should scrap the episode or rush a replacement casting for him. They made the wrong call. The replacement, Robert Brown, has the virtue of being sober enough to film, but not much else, and the script is such a drag that any actor alive would have struggled to enliven it. They filed a grievance against Barrymore with the SAG about the whole debacle, which kept him out of work for months and basically killed his career, but given that the alternative (:D) was starring in this piece of poo poo he probably got the better end of the deal.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
There was also, IIRC, supposed to be something of a romance between Lazarus and an engineering lieutenant, which ended up being cut when a black woman was cast and they decided they didn't want to get the show banned in the south... So, yeah, between casting problems, production problems, and last minute rewrites, it's not surprising that what came out is barely coherent at best.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

There was also, IIRC, supposed to be something of a romance between Lazarus and an engineering lieutenant, which ended up being cut when a black woman was cast and they decided they didn't want to get the show banned in the south... So, yeah, between casting problems, production problems, and last minute rewrites, it's not surprising that what came out is barely coherent at best.

I've heard this excuse, but also that it was too close in production order to the female crewman who falls for Khan and they didn't want to reuse the plot point so soon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Are you sure about that? Because that would tend to imply that any film remastering would be dauntingly expensive, but there's been other filmed shows that have been rescanned and edited back together. Is the market for old Michael Moriarty-era Law & Order episodes really that much bigger than the market for TNG episodes was?

Probably, yes.

However, in Law & Order's case, it's far easier. That was a cut negative show. So it was edited on film. So, it's a simple scan job, no editing necessary for the remaster.

Anything that has a film edit is a a lot easier to transfer to HD.

A comparative job to TNG was "The X FIles". However, they didn't do any re-compositing, opting instead to upscale any VFX scenes.

VFX do factor into it to be sure, but it's not the dealbreaker. DS9 could do the scan live footage and upscale VFX sequences too. Honestly, a lot of us would probably be ok with that even. But it's still a significant cost.

They would need a home run syndication deal to get that to happen and the market just isn't there.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

kaworu posted:

. Voyager lagged so far behind them in this department that it's crazy. DS9 is *by far* the most aesthetically tasteful and professionally polished shows ever made, in my opinion.

are you implying you're not impressed by this masterpiece

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Generic Monk posted:

are you implying you're not impressed by this masterpiece

Somebody certainly made an impression on him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's one of the most confusing episodes of Voyager. Not because of whatever happened in the episode (forgot and don't really care) but because that is such a terrible robot costume. Was it a "my nephew made this dumb robot mask and I promised we'd use it on the show" type situation? I find it hard to believe any prop department could make that and actually be proud of it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

VFX do factor into it to be sure, but it's not the dealbreaker. DS9 could do the scan live footage and upscale VFX sequences too. Honestly, a lot of us would probably be ok with that even. But it's still a significant cost.

DS9 would also suffer substantially more from a live scan/FX upscale because of so many shots with FX during live scenes. The abrupt quality shifts back and forth mid-scene would be really noticeable, to the point where it's likely better to just settle for a decent upscale and digital regrade of the whole thing uniformly.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Star Trek II: Awkward Man Talks

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Huh.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

skasion posted:

Alternative Factor is probably the single worst episode of any Trek show, all the worse because the episodes on either side of it are classics. I still laugh when I think of Kirk mumbling "what of Lazarus" like we should give a gently caress. What of Lazarus, indeed?

Haha yeah. It's the perfect line to close the episode, because the answer is so clearly "nobody cares"

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I just had to read the MA description of "The Alternative Factor" because I didn't remember a single thing about it, despite having watched the whole series about a year ago. It still makes no sense.

:okpos:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I read an online plot summary of "The Alternative Factor" immediately after watching it for the first time and I still didn't understand it. My reaction was just "wait, THAT'S what happened?"

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Watched "That Which Survives" and was baffled. It wasn't as boring or terrible as some of the other episodes but Kirk and Spock were very off-character. Kirk was putting Sulu down left and right for no discernible reason and Spock was downright nasty to the rest of the crew.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dazerbeams posted:

Watched "That Which Survives" and was baffled. It wasn't as boring or terrible as some of the other episodes but Kirk and Spock were very off-character. Kirk was putting Sulu down left and right for no discernible reason and Spock was downright nasty to the rest of the crew.

Yeah this one's a clunker. Doesn't really pass the sanity test either: given how absurdly powerful the "security system" is, its rule for one kill at a time makes no sense at all. Why didn't it just blow up the Enterprise?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

One of Worf's weird future-hobbies is collecting obscure memorabilia from 20th century television. Earth citizens really have nothing better to do.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

That's one of the most confusing episodes of Voyager. Not because of whatever happened in the episode (forgot and don't really care) but because that is such a terrible robot costume. Was it a "my nephew made this dumb robot mask and I promised we'd use it on the show" type situation? I find it hard to believe any prop department could make that and actually be proud of it.

Hey, that robot would stand proudly on any Doctor Who set.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Does anyone really stand proudly on a Doctor Who set?

bull3964 posted:

Nomad
M-5
Androids in I, Mudd
Landru

So, at least 4.

skasion posted:

The big serpent god thing was a computer iirc

E: though now that I think about it I guess they just blew him up.

I'd say Vaal counts because IIRC they have to trick him into lowering his shield to kill him. I forget how they deal with the computers in For The World Is Hollow...,, What Little Girls are Made of, and Spock's Brain, but some of those may qualify.

There's also the robot girl in Requiem for Methuseleh who Kirk pillow talks to death so, even if we're being stringent here, that's at least five.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They starved Vaal by keeping the villagers from feeding it with rock fuel. That caused the shields to drop and they could phaser it.

In "For the world is hollow..." it was straight up Spock hacking skills after they got access to the computer console.

So, both would qualify for "Saving a civilization from a computer run amok" but not for talking a computer to death.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

bull3964 posted:

They starved Vaal by keeping the villagers from feeding it with rock fuel. That caused the shields to drop and they could phaser it.

That was one of my favorite effects scenes watching the Enterprise phasering the gently caress out of Vaal.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Duckbag posted:

Does anyone really stand proudly on a Doctor Who set?

Wobbling counts. :colbert:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

That was one of my favorite effects scenes watching the Enterprise phasering the gently caress out of Vaal.

Yeah, that one, Taste of Armageddon, Mirror Mirror, and a few others really drive home how incredibly powerful the Enterprise is. Knowing that they're essentially flying around in a planet killing superweapon makes you appreciate a little more how rarely they use it that way and also shows that all those things that can disable the Enterprise like it's nothing are just completely next level poo poo that could threaten the whole galaxy if not dealt with.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

Same here, I love it when they just tape a quarter over the phaser button and leave it there till whatever they're shooting is dead. Helps that the TOS phasers are one of my favorite sound effects of all time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is the best still image in all of TNG

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Finally got to Children of Time in DS9 rewatch, not going to start another argument about the ethics, I just want to say I love the crew's argument about what to do when O'Brien reminds Worf he doesn't give a poo poo about his own kid. Yeah of course you don't care about never seeing your family again Worf, your son's a wiener and you're constantly trying to fob him off on someone else.

E: Also you mind-wiped your brother

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 3, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm watching VOY: Equinox and it's like someone grafted a good and interesting Trek show onto Voyager what the gently caress.

It's got a great captain, that rad dude from Deadwood, and Cylon #4 from BSG whose voice and eyes are still instantly terrifying to me because of it.

Sadly that same guy was also the actor under that horrible robot mask.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Finally got to Children of Time in DS9 rewatch, not going to start another argument about the ethics, I just want to say I love the crew's argument about what to do when O'Brien reminds Worf he doesn't give a poo poo about his own kid. Yeah of course you don't care about never seeing your family again Worf, your son's a wiener and you're constantly trying to fob him off on someone else.

E: Also you mind-wiped your brother

It's great that Worf doesn't even try to deny it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
That would be dishonorable.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Dad without honor, so what?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Duckbag posted:

Dad without honor, so what?

Duras?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Glory to you, and your alimonyyyyyyyyy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I already had a bad feeling about the new show.. and frankly I kind of believe most of the rumors given everything that's happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5qVwZvjm8

If it's true, this will be a loving disaster. But like I said, I kind of expected that already.

ED: Poor Bryan Fuller, guy keeps getting run out of projects he's into because he wants to do something good. This is like the third or forth time he's joined a disaster and had to run.

PostNouveau posted:

It's great that Worf doesn't even try to deny it.

I know, he's such a loving terrible father. It's hilarious they had to have an episode about his son traveling back from the future to tell him he's a loving bad father, and he still didn't change. It's kind of comedy gold really.

I'm actually disappointed they turned his son into a screw up soldier on a Klingon ship. He should have become a total pot smoking space hippie and be like, like, no wars for honor man.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 3, 2017