Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Sony has been doing so much right this iteration of consoles. Even the PSVR and Pro are doing well. Like it's hard to recommend a slim over a Pro even if you don't own a 4K tv. The cost difference alone is worth is for the larger hdd.

theres a distinct possibility that sony wouldnt even exist anymore if it werent for the playstation division doing as well as it has, and keeping the rest of the company afloat. the ps3 also outsold the xbox 360 by a million units during the last gen, even though it seemed like microsoft had won it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Naked Bear posted:

I still haven't tried MechJeb, but I might give that a go. I forgot what a pain it can be to perfectly line up those tiny little burns to jump from one orbit to another.

You mean you don't do every tedious long maneuver manually? In contradiction to real life space operations? gently caress off troll

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I treated MechJeb as a way of inserting fun back into the game after learning how to do things the hard way. I've done all of the major maneuvers including rendezvous manually, after that I feel I've earned the use of the tool.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I treated MechJeb as a way of inserting fun back into the game after learning how to do things the hard way. I've done all of the major maneuvers including rendezvous manually, after that I feel I've earned the use of the tool.

:same:

Once you've done all of it by hand it's nice to be able to automate a lot of it and just focus on making functional rockets.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
some of the review sites where you expect them to never go below 7/10 have started reviewing the nintendo switch.

The reviews have been below 7/10.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

Only reason to own Nintendo anything is MarioKart games, so you just wait for the system to offically flop and grab one on ebay or the local pawnshop for $150

I just want a new dang Metroid that isn't some Other M space waifu Samus-chan bullshit :(

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I've been reading the switch thread for pure mainline schadenfreude it's great

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im glad i resisted rebuying SF2 for over 300 bucks

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also is Wargame:Red Dragon worth 12 bucks? its on sale atm on Steam

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
if Red Dragon is the newest one it owns. Played some MP games with dudes in here and it's a blast once you figure it all out.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

420 france every day in red dragon

launch the fagots

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I love dumb game bugs

https://s1.webmshare.com/eWdaV.webm

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Where is it? I can't find it in Games

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Buca di Bepis posted:

Where is it? I can't find it in Games

It got killed today, I think a newer better one is supposed to be coming?? I'll link it if it shows up.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

This is what I was waiting for. Anything good in particular

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

FastestGunAlive posted:

This is what I was waiting for. Anything good in particular

Apparently the controllers will cut out if anything gets in the way, like your own leg. Zelda plays better handheld than in docked mode, the small bump in resolution causes a bunch of slowdown. Still have to use friendcodes and poo poo. It's ongoing, everyone is still in lala land waiting for their orders to ship.

CJ posted:

https://my.mixtape.moe/trsulp.webm

It's obviously the ragdoll physics calculations locking it up.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
maybe it will be cool and great, and honestly I'd like it to be good because hell why not? At the same time though watching people excitedly pre-order a bomberman game in 2017 is pretty :psyduck:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nintendo operates in a vacuum. They do not care at all to even be considered as a competitor to the other two. I imagine this is why much of their business seems to be bizarre. We're all perceiving Nintendo to be the third player in the video game space when they're truly the only player in the Nintendo space.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nintendo operates in a vacuum. They do not care at all to even be considered as a competitor to the other two. I imagine this is why much of their business seems to be bizarre. We're all perceiving Nintendo to be the third player in the video game space when they're truly the only player in the Nintendo space.

Yeah it's crazy despite all the poo poo sandwiches they've served up (IMO everything after the SNES lol) how they've managed to keep so many fans. I like metroid, zelda, and 2d mario games but not enough to buy a system that may or may not even get one of those games anymore. I had a Gamecube and it was OK but the only games I liked really at the time was the then exclusive REmake and Metroid Prime.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Here is the latency poo poo.

The left controller just seems to be weaker and you may have a higher chance of blocking the important side based on if you are left handed or right handed.

Like this is that whole iphone hand poo poo all over again.

The other thing is that the screen is 720p and the games are built around that. If you play it on anything larger than 720p there are major frame drop issues.

initial reviews were pretty much this

but they all got upgraded across the board when nintendo talked to them

They also just have that power charging issue noted before where they charge most things that should charge the switch.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
That's ridiculous. Like you, I like Nintendo cause it's what I "grew up with" but none of their main consoles have appealed to me since n64 (handhelds still good tho). I feel like all they should stop trying so hard to innovate and just do a "standard console". If they made VC more robust they could really milk that nostalgia money.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I had a gameboy advance that was like an NES scheme and it owned for all those times in the army with literally poo poo else to do like sitting around at NTC for days with nothing to do. That was pretty cool too. I was practically raised by my NES and SNES and I wish they could just do a regular drat console and controller. Hell even if they're not trying to compete with the others thats fine just god drat don't make it so goofy.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i really want to buy a game boy micro but jfc the prices on ebay

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought a mint condition Game Boy with the neon pink fanny pack and a ton of games at a thrift store a couple months ago for $40

Totally worth it

I've kind of been keeping an eye out for GBA SPs in decent shape. That was really my golden age of playing Game Boys, though I have fond memories of endlessly replaying Link's Awakening on my original.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
was SP the folding one? I think I had both at one point. Metroid Zero Mission and even the one no one liked was cool. I think I replaced it with a launch PSP that immediately homebrewed into an emulator and only ever bought like 2 games for. It was a piece of poo poo but I played a lot of NES games for $300 or whatever in Iraq and it was worth it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

was SP the folding one? I think I had both at one point. Metroid Zero Mission and even the one no one liked was cool. I think I replaced it with a launch PSP that immediately homebrewed into an emulator and only ever bought like 2 games for. It was a piece of poo poo but I played a lot of NES games for $300 or whatever in Iraq and it was worth it.

i did the same thing in my deployment

also i had hellboy on umd

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm hosed up and can't watch hellboy it puts me to sleep but then again so does everything else

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hellboy is the only good thing about this world

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

FastestGunAlive posted:

That's ridiculous. Like you, I like Nintendo cause it's what I "grew up with" but none of their main consoles have appealed to me since n64 (handhelds still good tho). I feel like all they should stop trying so hard to innovate and just do a "standard console". If they made VC more robust they could really milk that nostalgia money.

If Nintendo made a typical console, they'd probably fail outright. Being weird and highly protective of their crazy line-up is why they do OK. Again, Nintendo is basing success partially on their terms. That's my thought with how they operate anyway.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812160

new switch thread

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just gonna say my obligatory the Wii-u is rad and has a huge backlog of good games if you like couch co-op stuff in any capacity

Curious if they'll go up in value over time or not.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

It probably will. It wasnt a perfect system but I think the only dud Nintendo released for it was Star Fox surprisingly.

I'll probably splurge and buy a bunch of VC games before they inevitably shut the service down.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It was a big laugh when it first came out, don't get me wrong. Didn't have any major staple Nintendo games besides Mario for like two years lmao

The tablet is cool and inuitive, shouldn't be required though. Being able to play on it sans TV is rad though.

I think Nintendo is still selling returbs directly, but no one else is selling them new--except at a marked up 3rd party price. There's not too many in circulation compared to, say, the Wii. With the Switch not being backwards compatible and not having any wii-u game besides Mario kart for a while plus the Wii-u playing Wii games I'm curious to see what happens.

I was excited for the switch, it looks cool on paper. But with the battery life and all the other things they're loving up with it a la wii-u 2.0 amongst other things, I'll maybe buy a used one in four years.

Got the new Zelda pre-ordered, excited to play that. Curious if it's going to live up to the insane hype and supplies 10 across the board reviews it's getting

-Edit :spergin:

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 3, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah I'm gonna buy Zelda tomorrow for my Wii U.

I was looking forward to the Switch but the lack of VC and how quiet Nintendo has been about it till very recently made me realize I'd rather wait a year or two to buy one if at all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Been playing Zelda for a couple hours on my Wii U. Seems pretty good, though the graphics are rear end and the frame rate bogs down pretty badly in a lot of spots. From what I can tell it's the same on the Switch.

You can do everything with the Pro controller so you don't have to hold that stupid tablet.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So do the pro controllers work with the switch or? It's really a good controller

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

If Nintendo made a typical console, they'd probably fail outright. Being weird and highly protective of their crazy line-up is why they do OK. Again, Nintendo is basing success partially on their terms. That's my thought with how they operate anyway.

no, the 3ds and the wii gave them a sizable bumper crop. but the wii was many years ago now, and phone games have been taking a bite out of handheld market share. the wii u was maybe not a disaster for them, but it was a failure for sure. if the switch falls on its face as well, i suspect were gonna see a much more desperate nintendo in the future. nostalgia and gimmicks can only keep a company going for so long

also holy poo poo that zelda stuff looks loving unacceptable

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

so safe to say no one in here camped out for a switch tonight in any capacity lol

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
never had a console as a kid so i have no love for nintendo or its ip :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

never had a console as a kid so i have no love for nintendo or its ip :effort:

NES loving sucked. There, I said it. Don't get me wrong it more or less kick started things and led to good stuff but I'll never understand the NES nostalgia. Yeah ok mario was fun. But insanely hard games with poo poo controls. Don't get me wrong it was cool because that was all we had for video games at the time. Cracks me up how much people are fiending for that NES classic they're selling

SNES was p. dope though for its time