Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Must be a hell of a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klugman
Jan 28, 2009

glorious.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snowy posted:

I haven't looked at any of those Everest threads- do people get especially weird in there, like enough to bother reading though all that without an especially morbid interest in dead hikers?

The op had a "Highlights" section that starts with pictures of a dead woman, her casket, etc and then the rest of the "highlights" are primarily how many people died each year. Then the op reserved the post immediately after for a collected death pool where every poster says how many people they think are gonna die.

Also when it got gassed and a bunch of the regulars went to QCS to complain it turned out that they also had a bunch of posts on their rap sheet about how animal abuse is totally cool and good just like laughing at the same picture of a dead body for half a decade.

blowfish posted:

The only thing I care about is whether a mountain climber will turn out an icicle I can post and laugh at. I don't have any love for them. Never have. I don't really like mountain climbers. I despise skiers. I hate hikers. How could you like mountain climbers?

blowfish posted:

animal rights are a disease of civilisation similarly to fatness, because only people who have never had to face serious hardships in their lives could possibly find the effort and time to eat too many hamburgers or get outraged over things happening to animals

blowfish posted:

honestly i think the whole concept of punishing people for abusing animals in and of itself is wrong

animals cannot take responsibility as members of society and with very few exceptions display no evidence of a sense of self so basically they are things that respond to stimuli (no, any sort of "pain" response that can be reproduced by a few kilobytes of lovely code does not count as suffering)

as goons keep emphasising over and over again punishing people for victimless crimes is dumb and wrong so

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cicadas! posted:

Must be a hell of a picture.

It's hilarious.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Alaois posted:

just completely normal dudes, laughing at the same picture of a gaping anus for 17 years straight, nothing wrong with that

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The most succinct description of SA I ever saw.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
just completely normal dudes, laughing at the same comic of a dead baby for 9 years straight, nothing wrong with that

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Guy Mann posted:

The op had a "Highlights" section that starts with pictures of a dead woman, her casket, etc and then the rest of the "highlights" are primarily how many people died each year. Then the op reserved the post immediately after for a collected death pool where every poster says how many people they think are gonna die.

Also when it got gassed and a bunch of the regulars went to QCS to complain it turned out that they also had a bunch of posts on their rap sheet about how animal abuse is totally cool and good just like laughing at the same picture of a dead body for half a decade.

Wow, that poster has some...issues.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

sweeperbravo posted:

just completely normal dudes, laughing at the same comic of a dead baby for 9 years straight, nothing wrong with that

The joke is bigger than the comic, man

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The joke is bigger than the comic, man

Hey, I appreciate a well structured loss reference as much as the next goon. But it's definitely one of those things that you just can't explain to a nongoon in a way that doesn't sound really psychologically disturbing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

sweeperbravo posted:

Hey, I appreciate a well structured loss reference as much as the next goon. But it's definitely one of those things that you just can't explain to a nongoon in a way that doesn't sound really psychologically disturbing.

One of my favorite episodes of Reply All had the hosts explaining what joss.jpg was to their fairly oblivious middle-aged boss who had never heard of it or seen any of the parodies before. He thought it was hilarious.

quote:

ALEX BLUMBERG: But seriously! You know, normally after these I feel sort of gross. And this one I feel like, this was like – this is a genius-level tweet. It’s like about —

JASON MANTZOUKAS: You think?

ALEX BLUMBERG: Yeah. Yeah. It’s taking, it’s taking these two, uh … He’s taking these two sort of like, very, very disparate memes and he’s put them together in this very clever way, drawing on vast swaths of arcane knowledge to do so.

It’s just — it’s like – it’s like brilliant literary criticism. Or it’s like – it’s like, uh, you know, like James Joyce, where every single word of every single one of his poems is like drawing on this myth from Greek mythology or this like, sort of like, thing from history. It’s the same thing, it’s just like drawing on different sort of storehouses of knowledge.

JASON MANTZOUKAS: So I just – I just want to make sure — you just compared Anime Dad to James Joyce.

ALL: [Laughter]

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

sweeperbravo posted:

This is quite true. I can laugh or snicker at a loss.jpg remake or tribute, but couldn't begin to explain it to anyone else.

Thankful that my wife's a goon. I don't have to explain any of this stuff to her, she just gets it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

It sucks because Everest and mountain climbing are cool and I would like a thread about them, discussing climbers/stories/nature stuff, but I have 0 confidence in goons being able to maintain such a thread without returning to the same old weird death commentary schtick

I am glad the thread was gassed

Isn't that the one that got us that amazing quote about Lowtax getting powercucked off his own website because we are all sockpuppets of BBG?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

A Spider Covets posted:

It sucks because Everest and mountain climbing are cool and I would like a thread about them, discussing climbers/stories/nature stuff, but I have 0 confidence in goons being able to maintain such a thread without returning to the same old weird death commentary schtick

Really there's not much to talk about Everest aside from the deaths. Either you are one of the very many who make it because the sherpas dragged your rich rear end up there, or you die in an embarrassing way. Only one is worth talking about really. It isn't a major feat in mountaineering anymore to reach the summit of Everest. Rich tourists ruin everything.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There were plenty posts about climbing and climbers in those threads. But only death pool overshadows everything else as by far the most distinctive thing about them, for obvious reasons.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

The best true story from the Everest thread:

quote:

In 2005, this middle aged Polish guy arrived at Base Camp without a permit to climb on Everest, but fully intended to try anyway, going unnoticed. He had very little money and basic equipment, but felt stong and capable enough to take on the mountain and at one point made it all the way through the Icefall and up to Camp I. Some of the larger guide services made note of his presence but he spoke little English, wasn't very friendly, and seemed to be able to take care of himself. So they left him alone and only saw him on the periphery while they looked after their clients. As we have seen from our limited time here, the Nepalis take their high dollar Everest climbing permits VERY seriously. But, we have also seen that if you were to go incognito enough, there is a good chance that you could go unnoticed. That is, unless a dramatic or tragic event changed your anonymous status quickly.

In 2005, something happened at Camp I that everyone prepares for, but almost never happens- a huge avalanche calved off of Everest's West Face that was large enough that it literally washed over Camp I. More or less a hundred year avalanche. Dozens of tents were flattened from the air blast alone, almost all were covered, and if you hadn't placed your tents on the high ground fingers (like where ours are located), you were in jeopardy. By some stroke of luck though, most climbers were down in Base Camp that day and at the time the avalanche struck, Camp I was almost deserted. The Polish Guy was unique- he had elected to stay in Camp I along with a small handfull of others that day. When the avalanche hit, he apparently jumped out of his tent to film the thousand tons of snow and ice as it moved in on Camp I- not exactly something that's recommended. But he was a tough old guy and must have thought he'd be ok. As an avalanche moves forward, it is preceeded by a wall air- a blast wave that pushes things down quickly and with force before the mass of snow comes along and washes everything in white and sweeps it along as the avalanche travels on it's way.

It was this wall of air that seems to have done the most damage to the Polish Guy, who had his camcorder pressed up to his face at the time he was hit. Out in front, the solid air slammed the camcorder with such force that it cut his face in many places and people afterwards wondered if you might be able to read "SONY" imprinted backwards on his forehead. Word of the avalanche reached Base Camp, and rescuers quickly pressed out, reaching Camp I in record time. Dazed and confused, the Polish Guy was already staggering down the mountain with only what he had on, still bleeding and face all smashed up. He clearly knew that he'd be found out and didn't want to pay a massive fine, thrown into a Nepali jail for climbing without a permit. As he passed several rescuers enroute down the Icefall, he gruffly waved off care and just kept on going. The confused rescuers didn't know what they would find up at Camp I, so they kept moving up and figured the Polish Guy would be taken care of by someone else further down below.

Upon arrival at Camp I, the rescuers found what remained of the Polish Guy's tent- just an old, small job barely bigger than a kitchen table. Peering inside, they found: gas for boiling water, and a very large bottle of vodka. That was it. Nothing more, nothing less. Gas and vodka. To climb Everest. The rescuers radioed that back, almost laughing in disbelief at how Spartan this guy's tent was. But by now the Nepali authorities knew about him and also knew he didn't have a climbing permit so they were actively looking for him with vigor. They didn't think it was very funny for sure. He wasn't in Base Camp, so the Nepalis figured he must still be coming down through the Icefall and focused their energy there. After a few hours he was nowhere to be found and they realized that despite their best efforts, he had somehow slipped the noose.

Several days later, the climbing community at Base Camp learned of his fate: Somehow, the Polish Guy had made it all the way to New Delhi, India and repatriated back to Poland from the Embassy there. New Delhi? Apparently, the Polish Guy had managed to walk close to 100 kilometers in the exact same climbing clothes that he had been wearing when hit in an avalanche at Camp I in the Western Cwm. Bleeding, injured, and only with the clothes on his back, he downclimbed through the Icefall, and no one noticed as he traveled all the way through the Khumbu Valley, out through Lukla and into Kathmandu.

From there, he likely took a bus across the border and all the way to New Delhi. He didn't have much money, so people speculate that he sold his climbing boots in Kathmandu for just enough money for bus fare to leave the country unnoticed. Even today, when you enter the Sagarmartha National Park gate near Lukla there is a picture of the Polish Guy looking all gruff and dazed on a ratty wanted poster that has likely been there since a few days after he ran off in 2005. My guess? He made it home, started putting back his loved vodka, told his tale to friends and family who called him a crazy nut, and he gave up on Everest completely.

best fictional one, which more accurately illustrates the zeitgeist of the thread:

Leperflesh posted:

20. You get to the one really scary part of the climb, this ladder that you have to go up by yourself. You are way too scared and you just stop there while you burn through oxygen tanks and the sherpas first try nicely to coax you to proceed and then start yelling at you. A huge line builds behind you and you know that by not going forward not only are you making it unlikely you can summit but you're also preventing fifty other climbers from summiting, every one of which has paid $40k to $80k to be here today. The pressure mounts but you're just too scared, sweaty palms, your breath is too short, you just know you can't do it and finally you decide you have to turn back, it's just too haaard. As you turn around and start trying to get past all the furious climbers that were waiting for your loving rear end, inching along, every one of them has unkind words for you. One of them spits in your face, another makes a point of sticking his pole between your feet to trip you up a little and you land on your face in the icy snow. You struggle to get to your feet and realize your sherpas have abandoned you because they are too busy helping all the ordinary people, women and children and old men and even a guy with no legs who are all braver than you and willing to climb up a scary ladder and the shame and disappointment is all just completely overwhelming. Your body heaves and you vomit, the steaming liquid pouring down your chin and into your parka, spattering your clothes and you piss yourself in fear as you realize you are probably going to die. Finally as you try to rise from your knees you realize everyone has passed you by, and you are finally alone. The sky is darkening, snow flurries are whipping about, and you feel disoriented and lost and your terror overwhelms you. You take a wrong step and feel a sudden sharp agony as the bones in your ankle twist and snap. You faint, sprawling in the snow, sliding a few yards where you become wedged head-down in the ice, your ice pick lost. You briefly come to, managing to just turn yourself face up, but as the blackness overcomes you once again you know that you are going to die here. Over the next two days, you swim in and out of consciousness, feeling each time the burning agony of your broken leg, your eyes and mouth dry and cracked from exposure and lack of moisture, without any oxygen left you pant laboriously without ever getting enough air to even attempt to get to your knees and crawl back to camp four. Finally you die, alone and detested. Unbeknownst to you, but beknownst to everyone else involved with Everest for the next century, because of your cowardice seventeen other climbers died that day on Everest, including several sherpas and other climbers who heroically attempted to come to the rescue of the climbers who were held up by your unconscionable behavior. Your body remains where it lies, becoming dessicated and mummified, recognisable by the trail of vomit and you are forevermore known as "Barf rear end in a top hat," the person whose actions led to the worst disaster on Everest in history.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A Spider Covets posted:

I am glad the thread was gassed

Isn't that the one that got us that amazing quote about Lowtax getting powercucked off his own website because we are all sockpuppets of BBG?

No, actually if ZDR and the other admins who powercucked Lowtax off his own website want to post manifestos about Gibbis they should do it themselves and not use BBG as a sock puppet.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
What is amazing to me is the handful of people who default to assuming that people are "concern trolling" when saying that posting the pic of the corpse of the dead Canadian women for years is weird and off-putting. As if that can't possibly be a legitimate stance to hold. Stories like the one posted above with the Polish guy is cool, though, but it is weird that some people just plain assume that the aversion to seeing pics of a corpse must be trolling.

Anyway, the Everestt thread is still around and on-going, so if for whatever reason you want to look at the OP with the pic of a dead woman wrapped in a flag, and enjoy people who think they are part of some great social crusade because they laugh at people dying on their vacation, then you can visit the thread just fine in the Take a Hike subforum.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Really there's not much to talk about Everest aside from the deaths. Either you are one of the very many who make it because the sherpas dragged your rich rear end up there, or you die in an embarrassing way. Only one is worth talking about really. It isn't a major feat in mountaineering anymore to reach the summit of Everest. Rich tourists ruin everything.

who loving cares you sociopath

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

What is amazing to me is the handful of people who default to assuming that people are "concern trolling" when saying that posting the pic of the corpse of the dead Canadian women for years is weird and off-putting. As if that can't possibly be a legitimate stance to hold. Stories like the one posted above with the Polish guy is cool, though, but it is weird that some people just plain assume that the aversion to seeing pics of a corpse must be trolling.

Anyway, the Everestt thread is still around and on-going, so if for whatever reason you want to look at the OP with the pic of a dead woman wrapped in a flag, and enjoy people who think they are part of some great social crusade because they laugh at people dying on their vacation, then you can visit the thread just fine in the Take a Hike subforum.

Never having spent time in the Everest thread I kind of took the people looking down their nose at laughing at a dead Canadian woman as some kind of inane pearl-clutching histrionics, but seeing the truly lovely apologetics for animal abuse quoted above have made me reconsider.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

No, actually if ZDR and the other admins who powercucked Lowtax off his own website want to post manifestos about Gibbis they should do it themselves and not use BBG as a sock puppet.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
In the scope of this thread, the Everest thread is honestly pretty tame. If the OP had bothered to put a few pics behind a :nws: link then I'm guessing the thread would never have registered on the creep radar, and the thread regulars would never have ended up digging a hole for themselves by revealing how horrible they were about the animal rights stuff.

The crossover is completely unsurprising imo though. Whenever mock threads come up you can pretty much find some of the most deranged people on this website by clicking the thing that lets you see the top posters in a thread, and whoever has hundreds, if not thousands of posts have moved beyond making fun of something and just straight into obsession, I figure.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grandmother of Five posted:

It's not so much that people think they're "concern trolling", it's that they're just using distasteful things from that thread as a stick to beat GBS with, because a lot of the people who complained about the Everest thread also habitually criticize GBS and have done for years. There's a perceived ulterior motive at work.

Whether that's true, I don't know and I also really don't care.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Alaois posted:

who loving cares you sociopath

people using their own money gets goons mad p much

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's not so much that people think they're "concern trolling", it's that they're just using distasteful things from that thread as a stick to beat GBS with, because a lot of the people who complained about the Everest thread also habitually criticize GBS and have done for years. There's a perceived ulterior motive at work.

Whether that's true, I don't know and I also really don't care.

I can't believe the vast conspiracy of people saying "actually stalking is bad" and "I think it's cool to climb mount everest and not laugh at dead people" and "fat people deserve to live" are trying to destroy GBS

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Alaois posted:

actually stalking is bad
Correct

Alaois posted:

it's cool to climb mount everest and not laugh at dead people
Incorrect

Alaois posted:

fat people deserve to live
Correct

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Climbing mountains is cool and good while deathpools are dumb and bad

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Climbing mountains is cool and good but there are a lot of good reasons why climbing Everest isn't a great idea.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Climbing mountains is cool and good while deathpools are dumb and bad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I already said that deathpools are both dumb and bad

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I'm sorry for giving this thread aids

I regret my life choices

post something funny for me. right this wrong that I have wrought

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

A Spider Covets posted:

I'm sorry for giving this thread aids

I regret my life choices

post something funny for me. right this wrong that I have wrought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIz2Dz_KEE

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Guy Mann posted:

Marching Powder posted:

i'm struggling to sympathise with the guy who likes lolling at death and torture online but also comes begging for protection from people who suggest his sense of humor is worthless edgelord poo poo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that dude also isn't banned or anything which is super cool

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alaois posted:

I can't believe the vast conspiracy of people saying "actually stalking is bad" and "I think it's cool to climb mount everest and not laugh at dead people" and "fat people deserve to live" are trying to destroy GBS

gbs criticism is the epitome of fake news

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811831

that forum is the best ongoing saga atm

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Hogge Wild posted:

that forum is the best ongoing saga atm

" Murder She Twote " is a great username

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Sorry you're not allowed to post there anymore, I guess?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

i assure you that Hogge Wild is Insanely Chill about all this. They're not even angry. They're laughing, actually.