Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Also, for the record, there are lots of older movies that are still pretty good. You should try them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

precision posted:

Oh, Patriot gets loving serious.

Dead serious.

Yep. The final episode sure is something else.

Steven shoved in front of a van redux was such a gut punch, especially since it went down so abruptly. I can't wait for next season.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Filthy Hans posted:

Yep. The final episode sure is something else.

Steven shoved in front of a van redux was such a gut punch, especially since it went down so abruptly. I can't wait for next season.

I saw that coming three episodes out and still loved it haha

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Just buy a copy. You won't regret it. A couple of the CG scenes haven't held up (I'm looking at you gallimimus), but it's still classic Spielberg with revolutionary special effects. His mix of CG with practical effects means that at times the movie looks better than the recent Jurassic World.

I was also reading something recently, I can't remember if it was an article or a comment on reddit, in that what was so special about Jurassic Park was that all the heroes were intelligent and used their intelligence to win the day. Comparing that to Jurassic World where the protagonists were a brawny jock, a ditzy corporate executive, a teenage boy obsessed with girls, and his annoying little brother, and their solutions were to just blow poo poo up. Jurassic Park is the better movie.

You can skip Lost World. There are some good things, but watch it with some trepidation. You can skip Jurassic Park III. It basically took story elements from the first two books that didn't make it to screen, and added an incredibly stupid twist.

It's on Netflix why would I buy it. Are you a Big Jurassic shill trying to trick me

I meant didn't hold up like, I know obviously it's one of the most famous and influencial movies of all time but nostalgia glasses can skew public opinion about how it is today. I used to love the movie Drop Dead Fred as a kid but if I watched it now it's loving terrible. That doesn't stop me from loving it though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nihonniboku posted:

You can skip Lost World. There are some good things, but watch it with some trepidation.

I suggest not skipping Lost World, because if you do you'll never get the answer you needed to the eternal question "Is it possible to defeat a Velociraptor with gymnastics?"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

drunken officeparty posted:

It's on Netflix why would I buy it. Are you a Big Jurassic shill trying to trick me

I meant didn't hold up like, I know obviously it's one of the most famous and influencial movies of all time but nostalgia glasses can skew public opinion about how it is today. I used to love the movie Drop Dead Fred as a kid but if I watched it now it's loving terrible. That doesn't stop me from loving it though.

hahahahah awesome

Hat Thoughts posted:

hey man ur gonna bring down the rotten tomatoes score with that attitude

I hope white being a butthole gets commercials to stop literally citing rotten tomatoes, which I find annoying even though it's no different than any other meaningless CRITICS SAY bullshit

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The T-Rex scene in Jurassic Park has still never been topped, and if it has been, the only contender would be the scene in The Lost World. So either way Spielberg has it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Medullah posted:

I suggest not skipping Lost World, because if you do you'll never get the answer you needed to the eternal question "Is it possible to defeat a Velociraptor with gymnastics?"

Also it has Peter Stormare and Pete Postlethwaite in it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
You get a lot more Goldblum's Ian Malcolm in The Lost World.

I like The Lost World. The snake scene, two T-Rexes, the cruel opening, there's a lot to enjoy.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I still love Jurassic park. Watched it a few weeks ago. Still good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore was... okay.

It does that mashup thing where it tries to be two very different movies at once. When this is done well, the results are loving fantastic - Cop Car, or Keanu, for example. But here it fails hard.

The protagonists and antagonists are in two very different movies, so when they come together in act 3 it's not a wet fart, it's a very loud smelly awkward fart that goes on way longer than is comfortable.

But there is enough in the first hour to bother watching it. The police detective is fantastic in his small role. Elijah Wood is as always brilliant but he is actually not even in the movie all that much or is often not given anything to do or say in scenes.

Netflix thought I'd give it 5 full stars, I went with 3. 'salright.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Jurassic Park has not stood the test of time in one respect that's not loving unix

Edit: I stand corrected, but I think it's still safe to put in the "didn't age well" column

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 3, 2017

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That dumb 3D file manager is literally a real Irix program that no joke actually existed in the real world before Jurassic Park was filmed.

E: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsn_(file_manager)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I have used that program myself. Sadly, the SGI machine was not hooked up to any door locks. In fact, I think all those boxes were off on their own private network because security in IRIX was a complete afterthought (fitting, really - Spared No Expense on the graphics, but boring stuff like security was neglected).

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Jurassic Park is really good, no nostalgia necessary.

Also, The Lost World is really good, no nostalgia necessary, Bringing Up Baby w/ a T-rex was a good idea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

Just buy a copy. You won't regret it. A couple of the CG scenes haven't held up (I'm looking at you gallimimus), but it's still classic Spielberg with revolutionary special effects. His mix of CG with practical effects means that at times the movie looks better than the recent Jurassic World.

I was also reading something recently, I can't remember if it was an article or a comment on reddit, in that what was so special about Jurassic Park was that all the heroes were intelligent and used their intelligence to win the day. Comparing that to Jurassic World where the protagonists were a brawny jock, a ditzy corporate executive, a teenage boy obsessed with girls, and his annoying little brother, and their solutions were to just blow poo poo up. Jurassic Park is the better movie.

You can skip Lost World. There are some good things, but watch it with some trepidation. You can skip Jurassic Park III. It basically took story elements from the first two books that didn't make it to screen, and added an incredibly stupid twist.

It's crazy how good the special effects are compared to most movies, even modern ones are 90% of the time. And how entertaining the story is compared to poo poo like jurassic world.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

weekly font posted:

I know this is going to come across as an endorsement to some, but do not watch The Similars on Netflix. It is one of the worst films I have ever seen and is not a tenth as clever as it thinks it is.

You really weren't kidding about this, holy poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think I would have ever even noticed it's existence, but now I feel like I have to watch it to understand the goon hate/crazy high RT score balance.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Thanks, thread, for the Patriot recommendation.

What locked it down for me was his first song he plays on the park bench, early in Ep 1. I was just floored by how darkly funny it was. And I felt guilty laughing at Steven.

Other than the stream of improbable coincidences that plague everything these days, it was the best thing I've binged in years. Beautiful camera work on the composition side. Also there's a long shot in the concrete pipes, where everyone is coming to talk to John in turns. You can see one guy walking from the far background at least 60s before he gets there, and nothing misses a beat.

Everyone watch this show.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The scene in Patriot on the elevator where 4 bulky brazillian brothers out for revenge and money after john killed their brother and took back the money bag, two of his bosses at his cover job, and his old folk music buddy from Amsterdam all walk in and then the buddy, completely oblivious to the mood in the elevator, starts introducing himself one by one to all of them and they all start introducing themselves back had me dying. It's a black comedy and it does eventually get really loving black. The lead actor does a great job with that constant sad tired expression on his face.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Basebf555 posted:

The T-Rex scene in Jurassic Park has still never been topped, and if it has been, the only contender would be the scene in The Lost World. So either way Spielberg has it.

Hearing the T-Rex roar on good surround sound is required for anyone who likes movies even a little bit.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Hearing the T-Rex roar on good surround sound is required for anyone who likes movies even a little bit.

Hell, the first good T-Rex footfall with a good subwoofer is one of the more chilling moments in cinema. The other thing I marvel at when I watch it was that it was made in 1993! Think of the vast wasteland of absolutely atrocious CGI that came after it in the 90's and 00's. It's really only started to look even a little bit dated in the last few years, and I'll bet you there's a movie that comes out in 2017 with worse effects.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm gonna watch it tonight on my phone propped up on a pillow so the speaker is slightly muffled.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I had never heard of The Great British Baking Show before it was mentioned here and I got to say it's very addicting. I don't know what it is but it's really calming.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm gonna watch it tonight on my phone propped up on a pillow so the speaker is slightly muffled.

Hi Satan

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

You get a lot more Goldblum's Ian Malcolm in The Lost World.

I like The Lost World. The snake scene, two T-Rexes, the cruel opening, there's a lot to enjoy.

Doesn't feel like Malcom. Feels like generic blockbuster hero..

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Doesn't feel like Malcom. Feels like generic blockbuster hero..

Maybe not the same as Jurassic Park Malcom, but its still Goldblum. Goldblum is never generic.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rad Valtar posted:

I had never heard of The Great British Baking Show before it was mentioned here and I got to say it's very addicting. I don't know what it is but it's really calming.

Agreed. It's a really pleasant version of the format.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good Eats was my go to chill out cooking show and they took it down. :(

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Great British Baking Show is very well done so long as you can handle a program in which adults talk very seriously about exactly how they like their cake.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Great British Baking Show is very well done so long as you can handle a program in which adults talk very seriously about exactly how they like their cake.

Baked goods are serious business.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Good Eats was my go to chill out cooking show and they took it down. :(

The other day I learned that Alton Brown started out as a cinematographer. He was DP for REMs The One I Love video.

TMYK!

e: the pilot episodes of Good Eats were shot on film

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's, weirdly appropriate.

I can't stand most modern TV food personalities abut Alton Brown is my dude.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

veni veni veni posted:

That's, weirdly appropriate.

I can't stand most modern TV food personalities abut Alton Brown is my dude.

He's also an incredibly chill dude in-person. Also remarkably awesome? Robert Irvine.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Timby posted:

He's also an incredibly chill dude in-person. Also remarkably awesome? Robert Irvine.

Alton is a good dude. I met him on his "Eat your science" tour.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There's a documentary about chess player Magnus Carlsen up on Netflix with a remarkable amount of home video footage. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Kind of like a real life version of Searching for Bobby Fischer except the main character is arguably better than Fischer, or anybody else ever.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Alton's live show was fun. way too expensive but I'm still glad I got to see it. Would rather see him again than almost any given magician's act.

I never got to meet him but he seems p cool. I did meet Steve Miller and he was a pompous has-been.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
My favorite part of the Great British Baking Show is that literally nothing is on the line. Like, at all. They get a plate if they win. A plate I could probably buy at TJ Maxx.

That show is awesome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My favorite part of GBBS is Sue Perkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My favorite part of GBBS is Sue Perkins.

I haven't watched an episode of GBBS yet but I added it to my queue as soon as I saw her name. Always love her on QI