Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Koramei posted:

Huh, I wonder what the numbers mean.

Oh my god, thank you Johan Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Koramei posted:

Huh, I wonder what the numbers mean.

This is exactly what they need more of in the dlcs!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mans posted:

I stop playing for a loving month and there's already an expansion out and one more being produced.

This is ridiculous. Stop! I can't afford this!

It's unclear to me how much of the new stuff is going to be free, but usually the free content released alongside an expansion is pretty good. Probably the Chinese, Manchu, and Japanese stuff will cost money, UI improvements may be free, gold age stuff may also be free

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

PittTheElder posted:

Based on those culture groups I'd say he's a Denmark that consolidated Scandinavia and conquered his way across Russia and central Asia, all the way into India, with fun extra bits in Germany and Scotland.

Yeah, I've been beelining for India, trying to get Master of India and That's a Silk Road in the worst possible manner as Denmark - Through the Steppes! Luckily, only Portugal has managed to gain a foothold in India proper, and I managed to wrest the alliance with Ming out of Bahamis' hands. The Commonwealth has been my cudgel through the entire campaign, and, barring a few terrible Great Power wars between France and England in which I joined in France's favour, I've pretty much stayed clear of Europe, eating a opportune Scotland vassal and nibbling down Hamburg and Lubeck.

That's the great thing about Denmark's position in this game - you can colonize, fight in the Thirty Year War, play the trade game in all kind of ways, go East... It's all open, because you're in a great position with lots of room for expansion and one awesome lesser union member (and Norway). As I said earlier, they really should do something about being able to kneecap Sweden's desire for liberty by paying them 0.8 ducats a month in the early game. They never really take off after that was introduced.

Also, is it just me or does Denmark have the best naval NIs in the game? They gain a whopping 1 naval tradition a year (compared to England's pittance of 0.25), 5% ship HP, 50% extra fleet cap and 15% light ship combat ability, allowing your trade fleet to completely demolish enemy trade fleets if they happen to cross paths. England does get better fleet morale and better heavies, and the Netherlands gain that awesome fire phase bonus, but I think the overall bonus to your admirals from your naval tradition, plus the fact that your massive naval fleet doesn't need to hide during war, unless you're fighting one of the other two naval countries, makes for the better idea set. I was always just assuming that England got the best fleet in the game, them being England. Or heck, even Spain much later!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've found that many players seem to underestimate that value of Army and Navy Tradition

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
When I exit a game I never seem to ge tthe timeline button. Do you have to complete all the way through to 1821 to do it?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I've found that many players seem to underestimate that value of Army and Navy Tradition

Usually when my armies are getting whipped i'll check the battles and see that the enemy has higher morale/tactics because of army tradition. The thing is though is you can only really raise it through ideas or fighting a lot, forts are a waste of money and the AI gets them for free so theirs is usually higher than yours will be.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

QuarkJets posted:

It's unclear to me how much of the new stuff is going to be free, but usually the free content released alongside an expansion is pretty good. Probably the Chinese, Manchu, and Japanese stuff will cost money, UI improvements may be free, gold age stuff may also be free

I'd be surprised if anything that ties into the new ages system will be free. Unlike some of the previous large changes it doesn't directly replace any existing mechanics so I wouldn't be surprised if it's like estates and just toggles on / off depending on if you have the DLC.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

But if you want your army tradition to be higher then isn't that admitting that forts aren't actually a waste of money? That's a direct way to increase your army tradition. This keeps you hovering at 20 without any other bonuses, and if you fight in literally any war then you should be able to hit 40 pretty easily. Take Defensive and now you hover at 40 and can easily hit 60 through fighting

Also, armies hired out as Condottieri get 50% more army tradition

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

Usually when my armies are getting whipped i'll check the battles and see that the enemy has higher morale/tactics because of army tradition. The thing is though is you can only really raise it through ideas or fighting a lot, forts are a waste of money and the AI gets them for free so theirs is usually higher than yours will be.

AI doesn't get free forts anymore

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

QuarkJets posted:

Take Defensive and now you hover at 40 and can easily hit 60 through fighting

Which is why I've come to love picking quality as my second military set (defensive being my go-to first), even though half its ideas does nothing for a non-naval game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

jpparker55 posted:

When I exit a game I never seem to ge tthe timeline button. Do you have to complete all the way through to 1821 to do it?

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Ingame_screen#Timeline

quote:

The eye icon provides access to the timeline feature, which is used to observe how the world has changed throughout the years. Pressing the button will set the map back to how it was at the start of the game. Pressing the same button while in the timeline screen will exit the timeline. The game will then continue at the date where it was left off. While entering the timeline, the upper left corner of the ingame UI will be exchanged for a different interface where the timeline can be paused or sped up (from slow to very fast). To restart the timeline, the player has to exit and re-enter the timeline. The political map mode is currently the only map mode usable. Clicking on other map modes will exit the timeline.

image:

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Ingame_screen#/media/File:Timeline.png

it's to the left of current date

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

QuarkJets posted:

There were few things better than being able to sit at permanent 100AT with Quality, Defensive, Innovative and a national idea bonus. That feeling when you roll a 4+ siege general :getin:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

THE BAR posted:

Which is why I've come to love picking quality as my second military set (defensive being my go-to first), even though half its ideas does nothing for a non-naval game.

yeah I usually go Defensive first then Quality unless I really need Quantity

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

jpparker55 posted:

you have to own mare nostrum for it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

There were few things better than being able to sit at permanent 100AT with Quality, Defensive, Innovative and a national idea bonus. That feeling when you roll a 4+ siege general :getin:
Is this a post from 2015 or is there a sweet policy tied to Innovative?

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe

Azuren posted:

What exactly causes the bug where ironman games are no longer achievement eligible? Still showing that it's ironman, but the in-game achievement list is completely empty and blank. The achievement icon isn't greyed out, you can click on it, it's just empty and you can no longer get achievements in that game once it happens. I've had this bite me in the rear end twice now, should've just gotten "Spain Is The Emperor" and now I gotta start over after a great run.

I just noticed the same thing on my attempt at Consulate of the Sea, which is a really fun Aragon game btw. Any chance of being able to fix this?

The only thing I can think of that might have done something is that I missed out on diplovassalizing Navarra by like 1 month and reloaded from the backup file, but I've done that during other games before on this patch with no problem.

OrangeOrbit fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 3, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Siege pips is why I got my Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire run as Nepal. Their NIs are almost all military related, the last one being +1 siege to generals. Does any other nation get that?

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007

Boom! Thanks!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Node posted:

Siege pips is why I got my Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire run as Nepal. Their NIs are almost all military related, the last one being +1 siege to generals. Does any other nation get that?

No, but Innovative + Offensive gives you a policy with one

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
It's funny people talking about PU's, I know it's a big part of playing in Europe, but I really don't like getting too strong too fast. I really like starting as a small - medium power and building up over the first couple centuries to a great power (Ethiopia and Bengal were fantastic). I thought Aragon would be a fun way of going about this, grabbing the odd province here or there opportunistically. Not long into the game Castille inherits Burgundy then I inherit Castille and now I'm the number 1 great power. I feel like there must be something wrong with me that that caused me to give up. Restarted as Orissa, perfect!

I really need to get over it though. Might have to start a France game and just go as large as I can.

Also, what difficulty do people play on? Maybe that's part of the problem.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Could someone explain to me what purpose migration serves? Aside from using it to get a little further away from a hostile power, it doesn't seem terribly useful. The bonus monarch points are nice, sure, but they're outweighed by almost any amount of development or construction. Am I missing something here?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Well you can use it to completely break the game for one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJY-M5uAiA

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

no it's okay i can still come back from this

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Xinder posted:

You've got over 300 years. nbd

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i got annexed a couple decades later. but by that point i had sort of stopped trying and set my speed to max.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Xinder posted:

did you try taking out loans and mercs????

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is this a post from 2015 or is there a sweet policy tied to Innovative?

Was a post from 2015. You can still do it, but it's harder, in that you have to spend points for policies, or take - shudder - Aristocratic.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
aristocratic is only there for poland so you can make their cavalry combat ability extremely high

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Even at 60 AT I pretty consistently roll 3-pips on siege and 1-3 on most other things (sometimes 4+). I don't know why siege pips seem to be so much rarer than the others; I only have Defensive, so getting more Evasive pips I understand, but for some reason it's not uncommon to roll 4+ on shock and/or fire but I almost never see that on siege

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Edit:

:unsmigghh:

Detheros fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 3, 2017

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Even at 60 AT I pretty consistently roll 3-pips on siege and 1-3 on most other things (sometimes 4+). I don't know why siege pips seem to be so much rarer than the others; I only have Defensive, so getting more Evasive pips I understand, but for some reason it's not uncommon to roll 4+ on shock and/or fire but I almost never see that on siege

Siege pips are rarer.

code:
Effectively, this means that each point has a 10% chance of being assigned to siege, 30% of shock, and 30% of fire, 30% of maneuver, but when individual abilities are capped the probabilities change:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I didn't even know it was possible to get more than 3 siege pips before people in this thread started posting it, and just getting 2 is usually enough for me to start celebrating.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I got a 4/3/4/4 female conquistador from a hunt for the seven cities of gold event once. I immediately celebrated by declaring lots and lots of wars.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

From my current France game. Year is 1640. I have some spare mil points.

Edit: For some context I am also HRE Emperor, conquering the world. Need some good generals to siege the world down. AT hovers around 90-100.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 3, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I didn't even know it was possible to get more than 3 siege pips before people in this thread started posting it, and just getting 2 is usually enough for me to start celebrating.

I was about to post this exact same thing. I'm definitely playing the game wrong.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

I was about to post this exact same thing. I'm definitely playing the game wrong.

I wouldn't say it's normal for most my games. This one I'm drowning in mil points and can reroll a lot. I've had good luck with leaders.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
If only you could combine them all into one mega Voltron general.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

As all Pagans can claim the Mandate of Heaven, I'm going to do it with some Fetishist African tribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Whorelord posted:

As all Pagans can claim the Mandate of Heaven, I'm going to do it with some Fetishist African tribe.

That's a funny way to spell Nahuatl.

• Locked thread