Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Since I've met more than once person whining about Age of Ultron pandering to China because of the truck chase and the Dr. Cho character (a scene filmed in South Korea and a Korean character) I think it should be a requirement.

Like have literally heard people say Iron Man 3 was ruined because there's a cut of the movie 10,000 miles away where a doctor is on screen for five seconds like dude it's Iron Man 3 it's already pandering incarnate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Since I've met more than once person whining about Age of Ultron pandering to China because of the truck chase and the Dr. Cho character (a scene filmed in South Korea and a Korean character) I think it should be a requirement.

I wonder if it's an attempt to find a cinematic justification for wanting movies they like be lily white across the board.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

basic hitler posted:

Every time someone complains about the horseshit people do for the ccp some one cries about america in retaliation. :rolleyes:

Sorry man, there's a big difference in a domestic film production making overly patriotic cheese for its home country versus sterilizing the content and shoehorning in CCP propaganda into a movie to get permission for a run in china. China is free to do that for themselves they don't need us to ruin our own movies to protect the sensibilities of the communist party of china

What's the difference

MisterBibs posted:

I wonder if it's an attempt to find a cinematic justification for wanting movies they like be lily white across the board.

Ah there it is.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Part of the globalization is because it's cool to get extra money from the box office of other countries, and part of it is you can blow up New York only so many times before it gets even more boring. At least they are tossing cars around in Korea, Africa, and fictitious Balkan countries than the usual US cities.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Part of the globalization is because it's cool to get extra money from the box office of other countries, and part of it is you can blow up New York only so many times before it gets even more boring. At least they are tossing cars around in Korea, Africa, and fictitious Balkan countries than the usual US cities.

The blow up a good chunk of Hong Kong (I think) in Doctor Strange.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Actually you'll find that in Dr. Strange they were able to get to and save Hong Kong "in time." ;)

But for real ANY time I speak to anyone who cares deeply about China pandering or whatever, it always comes down to them just not wanting non-white people in their precious genre movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope Kundun gets remade with an all black cast.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Neo Rasa posted:

Actually you'll find that in Dr. Strange they were able to get to and save Hong Kong "in time." ;)

But for real ANY time I speak to anyone who cares deeply about China pandering or whatever, it always comes down to them just not wanting non-white people in their precious genre movies.

It's also the gamer thing we're pandering to me is fine but pandering to anyone else is the worst sin imaginable.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Neo Rasa posted:

It's true, I remember so many people happily gushing about how Will Smith wasn't reprising his role in Independence Day 2.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

It's true, I remember so many people happily gushing about how Will Smith wasn't reprising his role in Independence Day 2.

In hindsight it was probably the right choice for Smith.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah if he did ID 2 we would never get Collateral Beauty

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Wouldn't want blockbusters to be influenced by financial concerns.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Wouldn't want blockbusters to be influenced by financial concerns.

We just don't want filthy foreign money sullying good old fashioned co-option of artistic effort by American capitalism. These other capitalisms might have marginally different and/or browner dumbass bullshit they want included.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

ruddiger posted:

I hope Kundun gets remade with an all black cast.

Bob Iger has to personally apologize to the leader of Kenya

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The ideal blockbuster is an exploitation movie with way, way more money than they should get.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

rumble in the bunghole posted:

The ideal blockbuster is an exploitation movie with way, way more money than they should get.

I agree, Showgirls is the ideal blockbuster.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yeah if he did ID 2 we would never get Collateral Beauty

It's a shame ID4-2 was bad. The trailer had two lines that seemed so self aware: the one where the alien mothership landed "everywhere" in the Atlantic and the Goldblum line about the aliens targeting landmarks. Plus the whole alternate history thing where Earth used alien tech to become XCOM.

At least they have the KLCC in there. Woo, Malaysia Boleh etc.

On to movie news: Fast & Furious series producer Neal Moritz is making a movie starring Donnie Yen. It's also a video game movie, and the casting of Donnie Yen is pretty much perfect. Sleeping Dogs! For reference, this is how the game plays like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atFhl7af4wc

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Is anyone making/made a GamerGate movie?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Sleeping Dogs + Donnie Yen

Huh, surprised that took as long as it did honestly.

e: speaking of nerd poo poo, I just found out that Christoph Waltz is playing Dr. Ido and that Jackie Earle Haley is most likely playing Desty Nova in the Battle Angel Alita movie

I am pretty god damned hype now, that is really good casting

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 3, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Huh, surprised that took as long as it did honestly.

e: speaking of nerd poo poo, I just found out that Christoph Waltz is playing Dr. Ido and that Jackie Earle Haley is most likely playing Desty Nova in the Battle Angel Alita movie

I am pretty god damned hype now, that is really good casting

They got Mahershala Ali as Mr. Vector too which is like a Patrick Stewart as Professor X level choice.

Battle Angel is one of my favorite comics ever so I was hype for this until it turned out Rodriguez was directing. But the cast is amazing so far.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here is why Cameron picked Rodriguez to direct Alita.

https://twitter.com/ComicBookDebate/status/833086154052403201

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The MSJ posted:

On to movie news: Fast & Furious series producer Neal Moritz is making a movie starring Donnie Yen. It's also a video game movie, and the casting of Donnie Yen is pretty much perfect. Sleeping Dogs! For reference, this is how the game plays like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atFhl7af4wc

I don't understand how Sleeping Dogs was successful enough to get a movie adaptation but not successful enough for a sequel.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I was about to say that it's too bad the West didn't discover Donnie Yen like ten years ago, but then I realized Jackie Chan and Jet Li didn't make any good movies when they started working in Hollywood.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The MSJ posted:

At least they have the KLCC in there. Woo, Malaysia Boleh etc.

My memory is spotty but I recall the whole island of Singapore getting destroyed and absorbed up into the space ship. I'm sure lots of Malaysians loved that

That's for culture-appropriating our cuisine, jerks

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I was about to say that it's too bad the West didn't discover Donnie Yen like ten years ago, but then I realized Jackie Chan and Jet Li didn't make any good movies when they started working in Hollywood.

Shanghai Noon and Rush Hour were loving great.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When I was a kid I didn't realize that Rumble in the Bronx was a dubbed movie, and moreover thought it was an accurate depiction of NYC.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't understand how Sleeping Dogs was successful enough to get a movie adaptation but not successful enough for a sequel.

It was published by Square Enix, they lean so heavily on their Western studios to subsidize their Japanese devs' wastefulness that games like Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider and Deux Ex can be bestsellers that sell millions of units and still be considered failures because it still wasn't enough to get them out of the hole they had dug themselves into. http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/26/4148780/square-enix-missed-sales-targets-sleeping-dogs-hitman-absolution-tomb-raider

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Neo Rasa posted:

They got Mahershala Ali as Mr. Vector too which is like a Patrick Stewart as Professor X level choice.

Battle Angel is one of my favorite comics ever so I was hype for this until it turned out Rodriguez was directing. But the cast is amazing so far.

I can't see him as vector to be honest. He's a tall, kindly looking guy whereas vector always struck me as the sort of guy Peter Lorre would have played

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

More money is cool, submitting to the whims of a lovely oppressive government to get more money isnt. I dont care about having asians in scenes or scenes in Asia im general. I'm actually firmly in the "diversity is good" camp, and i am also firmly in the "gently caress the chinese government i really dont care how much money theyre getting, changing stories and self censorship to legally distribute your products there is morally wrong" camp. Im talking about things done specifically with chinese censors in mind. I find it irritating that i need to even make the distinction as i thought most people outside of China were on the same page about how lame chinese censorship is on a good day and outright loving terrible and orwellian it is on a bad day.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

It was published by Square Enix, they lean so heavily on their Western studios to subsidize their Japanese devs' wastefulness that games like Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider and Deux Ex can be bestsellers that sell millions of units and still be considered failures because it still wasn't enough to get them out of the hole they had dug themselves into. http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/26/4148780/square-enix-missed-sales-targets-sleeping-dogs-hitman-absolution-tomb-raider
I will loving choke someone if they stop this new TR series.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

America has a bad and dumb president who lies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

I can't see him as vector to be honest. He's a tall, kindly looking guy whereas vector always struck me as the sort of guy Peter Lorre would have played

Totally yeah can definitely see a very short jittery white dude as the ideal choice to play a very tall smooth talking black dude.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I agree, BvS is the ideal blockbuster.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snyder is 100% the Verhoeven of the last decade

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Oh loving what

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

FishBulb posted:

Oh loving what

Nerds are desperate to convince themselves that Snyder is actually producing Satire.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

300 = Starship Troopers???!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I agree, Showgirls is the ideal blockbuster.

drat straight.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

basic hitler posted:

More money is cool, submitting to the whims of a lovely oppressive government to get more money isnt. I dont care about having asians in scenes or scenes in Asia im general. I'm actually firmly in the "diversity is good" camp, and i am also firmly in the "gently caress the chinese government i really dont care how much money theyre getting, changing stories and self censorship to legally distribute your products there is morally wrong" camp. Im talking about things done specifically with chinese censors in mind. I find it irritating that i need to even make the distinction as i thought most people outside of China were on the same page about how lame chinese censorship is on a good day and outright loving terrible and orwellian it is on a bad day.

If I were you I would probably be far more concerned with the relationship between the US military and Hollywood than Hollywood and China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Josh Lyman posted:

I'd never seen 300 until a couple of weeks ago. It reminded me of Starship Troopers so much I double featured them.

• Locked thread